• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Boats

• Thread starter OmnicronX
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
O

OmnicronX

Is it just me or are boats basically useless now? I'd really love to see some way for boats to be useful again... maybe a city that is only accessible via the water.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Spent a lot of this weekend out on a boat fishing up the batch of SOSs I had saved.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There really isn't a whole lot of use for boats these days, and most of those reasons involve getting WAY off the beaten path because you don't want anyone else to see what you're doing.

I have used boats for some things though. There is one champ spawn that is only accessible by boat, which reduces the chance of a small group getting raided. Why would they take the extra time to boat out to where you are if they can find easier-to-reach fights elsewhere? It's one of a very few spawning areas where I haven't been attacked often.

Apart from that, if you aren't fishing, there isn't much reason to go boating thanks to very well made rune libraries.

M

Masumatek

Or condense the lands and remove instant travel (such as gating, recall, etc.). That'll make boats very useful:).

Also, future expansions should work to improve the game, not add more crap on top of it. We don't need dungeons and land and most of the things that come with new expansions. An expansion focusing on improving boats though might be a good one.

T

The Home Guild

I'd love to see a ship revamp. Perhaps a huge ship with ladders like a nice pirate ship.

D

dielock

:sad3:You can still pick up chicks with a good sized boat. Unfortunately they are pixel chicks.

S

SeaCaptain

I waste more money buying boats because I usually part one in each quaderant for my fishing and sos. Then forget to refresh them

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love it if they came out with a pirate type expansion - giving us more reasons to be at sea.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
WHat the crap! Ive had this name for 9years! You sir cant have it and I demand (okay more like begging) you to change it....:sad4:

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it just me or are boats basically useless now? I'd really love to see some way for boats to be useful again... maybe a city that is only accessible via the water.
There are dozens of places
that players must use a boat to get to. I am not going to list them for you.
Go out and explore!

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fishing is the big one.

Ship combat can be a lot of fun. Recently did some pirate vs Trinsic navy RP combat that was a lot of fun. Boats are a little buggy for combat sometimes.

I'd love a boat expansion.

C

CKTC

I too would like a boat/sea/pirate expansion, but the only trouble is movement at sea is so jerky you would probably lose targets alot lol.

S

Susan Kuan

How about a dungeon only reachable by boat you have to sail in and out of the entrance/exit and you get taken (on your boat) to the dungeon (on the dungeon subserver) it would obviously have to be huge and getting in and out would need some dynamic to avoid boat congestion. I think it could open up a lot of possibilities for new content, you could have islands in there as well as sea spawn and ledges, pirate monsters. We've got a fire dungeon and an ice dungeon why ot a water dungeon?

C

CKTC

A water dungeon would be freakin awesome lol, youre right though getting in and out would be a problem with boats blocking and stuff. Maybe if they made it a really long entrance or better yet just made it so boats could sail through each other though that might open up problems with stealing peeps boats lol.

J

Jeremy

Heh, I just dug my boat out for my baby treasure hunter so I could finish up a couple of maps I had lying around... Point taken, though - they're a nice resource in specific situations, but underutilized.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fishing is the big one.

Ship combat can be a lot of fun. Recently did some pirate vs Trinsic navy RP combat that was a lot of fun. Boats are a little buggy for combat sometimes.
Baja had a boat race in Fel last year sometime. Wish the old forums were still up so you could read about it, because even the map of the contest route itself was a hoot.

F

Fayled Dhreams

WHat the crap! Ive had this name for 9years! You sir cant have it and I demand (okay more like begging) you to change it....:sad4:
hehehe different spelling ...
now .... in the pen and paper days ....
Signing a note: xoxo ...meant hugs and kisses (in an endearing hetro way) ... thing is
I've forgotten ...
WHICH means what? ...nowadays ... I guess it might matter

L O L

A

AesSedai

hehehe different spelling ...
now .... in the pen and paper days ....
Signing a note: xoxo ...meant hugs and kisses (in an endearing hetro way) ... thing is
I've forgotten ...
WHICH means what? ...nowadays ... I guess it might matter

L O L
- The x is for arms hugging. The o is for lips kissing. At least that's what I always thought. I still use that some in these keyboard and monitor days. :)

F

Fayled Dhreams

- The x is for arms hugging. The o is for lips kissing. At least that's what I always thought. I still use that some in these keyboard and monitor days. :)
hehehe ... see? now I gone and done it ! O encircled in embrace and X was the pucker for the peck on the cheek
nowadays ... and the other way: the X a Tight clutch and O well ... :blushing: I don't want to even consider that ... :cool:
(not a "huggy" type to begin with)

A

AesSedai

- lol @ FD.
Aye, the egg did come first btw. It just had to.

It can't be a boat unless born a boat. A piece of wood isn't just going to spontaneously morph into a boat. Sure there are caterpillars and butterflies, tadpoles and toads. But we're talking about chickens and boats here.
Oops, where was I. Oh yes, UO has a lot of water space.

R

Righteous

I would have to disagree I use my boat all the time. Fishing up pearls, killing sea serpents for horned leather, etc....

Righteous.