• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Boats piss me off!!!!!!!!

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Am I the only one that has problems getting on and off or drydocking a boat. Sometimes I stand on the gangplank and cant get off the damn boat at all. Then when I do I cant get the gang plank to go back in without getting back on the damn boat. Usually this is not a big deal because you can just recall away but right now im trying to drydock a boat that ive got on a noobie character that does not have any runebooks. Ive been trying to get off the damn thing for 20 min. I feel like throwing my damn keyboard through the damn window.

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Now this is funny. I was standing on the gang plank moving the boat to different areas to mabe find a spot that it would let me off. I said forward and when the ship moved it booted me off to shore. And the boat sailed away without me on it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now, are there any dam questions ? "Yeah, where can i get some damn bait?"

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I suggest graduating to the Big Boy Boats ! However the Devs decided to make the small ones more secure even if scuttled, still don't understand that reasoning.

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I do prefer the Big Boy Boats . I just don't have enough of them for every shard. What's funny is trying to explain to my wife why I'm cursing at my computer. She called me a dumbass LOL.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LOL OMG I can relate... I do understand your frustration... I find myself frustrated with that from time to time. I just keep reminding myself it's just a game... then I try to take a more calm approach... of course now there is your boat sailing away... though I wrote a cute story one time about what happened to me on one of those boats before.

Perhaps this will cheer you up:

Skylar’s Sea Adventure

Skylar awoke a bit sore from the evening priors exercises. Stretching and yawning she made her way to the dinning hall.

“Morning Sis” , Willa greeted her.

Skylar mumbled, “Mornin”, as she grabbed a few muffins and a plate of eggs and bacon. She sat at the table and glared into the fireplace, looking deep in thought.

“Well you sure look like you’ve a lot on your mind.” Willa noted. “Care to share?”

“Oh I was just thinking about all the work from last eve, and I just think I could do so much better if I could become more adept at my skills in Chivalry. I am weary of finding myself failing to cast my incantations because I tend to get overly excited and mess up the words.” Skylar replied.

“Sounds to me like you need to spend more time meditating and practicing them till they are second nature. You know Vincent swears that out to sea the mind is clearer and meditation improves. Perhaps if you sailed off the coast a ways you could better practice your skills?” Willa offered.

“You know I can’t stand to be on a boat Sis. Not to mention being off to sea.” Skylar said in shock at hearing it mentioned.

“Well it is worth a try don’t you think? If in fact you have tried everything else? Hum?” Willa inquired.

“Well I suppose.”, Skylar grumbled. “I hate boats. Maybe though if I stay close to shore. Where does Vincent have the ship, Willa?” She asked.

“I think it is near the Court of Truth today.” Willa answered, handing her sister the key. “You will be fine I am sure. Just don’t hurt the boat.”

Skylar packed her bags and was off to the courthouse. Finding the ship and it’s tiller man she unlocked the vessel and climbed aboard, her legs taking a few minuets to stabilize.

“Tiller man, take us out along the coast, and run the ship up and down along the shoreline.” She ordered.

“Aye Sir” he replied. The boat backed up and then turned to the west and soon they began to move from the shore.

Now she remembered why she couldn’t stand him. He was obviously blind! Calling her a Sir! Feeling a bit annoyed she began to work over her spells.

After some time passed Skylar began looked about….. There was no sight of land.

“Tiller man!”, She hollered. “STOP!” The man paid no mind. “Stop I say!” She screamed. No response. Panic gripped her as the boat sped further and further from the shores of Yew. “Stop, Please.” she begged her voice now shaken. Still the boat sped on. She was gripped with fear. “I must not panic. This is OK. I will not drown. I am on the boat. I must think of pleasant thoughts.”

She tried to move, to walk to the tiller man and somehow stop the boat. She brought the foot and tried to take a step to the aft of the ship. Suddenly the water and the boat disappeared below her and the shore of Yew appeared below her feet. Then she felt as if some invisible force held her. There was a flash of pain and a sudden flash of darkness. After that she found herself back about the vessel. She tried again to move with the same vision of the shore a flash of pain and darkness then a return to the boat. She tried several more times each time with the same result, shore and pain and darkness then boat.

Now fully panic stricken and unable to move she made her plea to the Gods. “Help me! Please! I am trapped on this God forsaken boat!” she prayed for release from the vessel.

There was a crash as the boat slammed into an icy shore. “You are not trapped. I see you moving freely now” a voice came from the heavens.

Startled and dazed Skylar stumbled about the deck. Looking skyward she replied, “But… I was. And this crazy tiller man, he is as deaf as he is blind, he………” Skylar cut off.

Suddenly she found herself in an odd room the lights dim and not a door to be found. Sheepishly she said, “Hello?”. Then just as suddenly as she had arrived there she found herself upon the shores of Yew. A voice from above said, “Skylar you will be fine, the boat is fine. Just return to sleep and when you awake all will be well.”

“Oh! Thank You so much!” She said looking to the heavens. Quickly she knelt down and laid upon the ground of Yew a kiss. Then gathering her wits she returned home. Rushing into her bed, she lay down and rested falling quickly into a slumber.

When she woke she felt refreshed yet still shaky. She hurried to Yew and entered Willa’s office with a loud crash of the doors. “Thanks but no! I belong on the ground!” She stuffed the key into Willa’s hand, turned and fled out the doors.

“Wonder what the heck that was all about.” Willa sat pondering.

Now if you get the jist of the story I took the boat to sail and try to work skills but the boat kept sailing and wouldn't stop or anything just sailed and sailed and then it wouldn't let me do anything couldn't move at all and hit shore somewhere on Ice Island... At which point the GM answered me took me off my boat and put me in one of those rooms they use the huge one... then moved me back to the shore in Yew where I began.... though I never did recover my boat at that point I didn't care... and decided that attempting to 8x8 was BS and I opted to just keep working the skill on shore. But talk about a weird boating experience... I recall I couldn't move my character at all until I hit shore and couldn't stop or turn the boat either... couldn't do anything but watch...

Last edited:

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I returned at the end of last year leaving long before the new boats came out. I found the same thing you did, that disembarking was near impossible. What I think I see is a brownish band around the shores of land preventing anyone from leaving their boat. Once in a while I can find a bit of green leading to the waters edge and I can escape my boat on that bit of land.
What I did to make sailing more fun was to send my mage around to make runes at various points I would want to land. a fully charged rune book makes travelling easier now. Beaches are still one place you can land without a problem. Docks with ropes around them are still a pain to deal with. I keep looking for the mooring rope on my dragon ship but can't seem to find it. Guess the devs think we all have to have one of them big ships that can't negotiate Serpents hold docks.
I can fight off serpents better and mine better on my dragon ship that I can on the big Brit ship. I'll stick to the old one for now . Newbies are so much fun aren't they?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One thing that always tripped me up trying to get off a boat was the "always run" option. You cannot run off of a boat, you must walk so I would suggest checking to see if you have that option turned on.

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I like the story :D. If I really wanted to I could recall off the key and find out where my boat crashed ashore. On 2nd thought I hope something sunk it . I think the provisioner in New Haven sold me a lemon. That boat was defective.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your a mage, try teleporting off the old boat to a few spots about a body length from the water or so, there are spots that let you do this.

Isn't keeping your vocabulary creatively colorful one of the purposes of UO? :)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One thing that always tripped me up trying to get off a boat was the "always run" option. You cannot run off of a boat, you must walk so I would suggest checking to see if you have that option turned on.
Yep, this. "Always Run" is a bad option when near Paragons as well, since they'll almost instantly lock onto anyone running, but it takes them awhile to aggro on someone walking. It's the old aggressive Daemon AI.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now this is funny. I was standing on the gang plank moving the boat to different areas to mabe find a spot that it would let me off. I said forward and when the ship moved it booted me off to shore. And the boat sailed away without me on it.
In the future, "Forward one" is your friend.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, this. "Always Run" is a bad option when near Paragons as well, since they'll almost instantly lock onto anyone running, but it takes them awhile to aggro on someone walking. It's the old aggressive Daemon AI.
imagine an 8 tile diameter circle around each paragon - if you cross from outside the circle to inside the circle, that's what causes them to aggro you

if you go the other direction from inside the circle outwards, they don't

pretty much has nothing to do with whether you're running or not

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Boats Drive me Crazy !!! :gee:
Invest in one that will mount cannons, they have mooring ropes that almost always work on letting you get on and off the boat easily. Only good use for the old boats is placing them by the Sea Market as places to gate to and use a row boat to visit the Sea Market. Saves you the voyage there.

Zanaver

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Invest in one that will mount cannons, they have mooring ropes that almost always work on letting you get on and off the boat easily. Only good use for the old boats is placing them by the Sea Market as places to gate to and use a row boat to visit the Sea Market. Saves you the voyage there.
Wow thanks for the info :)