• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] BMC Withdraws Endorsement Of Ultima Auctions

• Thread starter Sebastian (BMC)
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sebastian (BMC)

Britannian Mining Company no longer endorses Ultima Auctions After careful consideration and a conversation with one of the site's developers this website appears to hinder free trade in the game's economy and appears to exist with limitations to other users concerning shard-shard gold trades. It appears that only gold profits from shard-shard transfers are only allowed with the admins of the site which in my professional opinion, exposes the sites conception and prohibits free trade. So forthwith, the Britannian Mining Company has withdrawn association with the site and recognizes it as a non-free trade site for Ultima Online users...

T

Tazar

I don't see the problem.

X-shard trading gold is not an Auction. It is an Auction Website - not a X-shard trade site. If you want to X-shard trade, I'd recommend the Stratics Trader's Hall - which was intended for such trades.

S

Sebastian (BMC)

I beg to differ... When you have an auction site that covers all shards, you eliminate the need for a X shard forum when users can log on to their shard auction and see a competative market based on IN GAME currency to buy from and xfer gold from one shard to another. One who offers the service will understandablly profit from the Xfer. The feedback is in place so buyers can see if they are dealing with an honest broker and to also view competative rates. This is the essence of free trade.

No... The monopoly of the gold trade on this site and to be limited to ONLY it's administrators is the definition of unfair trade policies against the site's registered users.

T

Tazar

I guess it is the difference between "Trade" and "an Auction". They are two different things. It seems to me that your complaint is that it is unfair for the Admins to be able to X-Shard gold through the site when you can not - but honestly, I have not seen them X-Shard through the site.

I guess it is just me - but I really don't see the problem.

On an Auction site - you post an item for sale on a specific shard - it is listed on the Shard's section - but you are listing that you want bids on some other shard? That's not what the site is intended for - nor to my knowledge were any of the prior auction websites set up to handle.

Edit: I found the section on x-sharding gold service - but that is a Service and not a part of the Auction. You can certainly do a similar service on your own.

SupSoc

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello everyone,
In regards to the site, there are no problems with how it is ran. The website is for AUCTIONS. If the item is on another shard and does not have the means of buying , there are 2 methods which can happen. 1) The player does not bid. 2) The player finds another means of obtaining the gold on that shard.

I am unsure of what you are really complaining about. If only the admins do cross shard gold trade, then what is the big deal. They CAN. It is THEIR site. This is the same for all other websites. The admins can limit what they want, as it is their site. I guess it would be ok to run an auction for gold on another shard, since it is in the form of an auction.

I am sorry Sebastian, but Ultima Auctions is doing a fine job. Since it has been established, 2 weeks ago, it has more than 120 registered users. For UO now days, that is awesome.

S

Sebastian (BMC)

SupSoc I agree with you, 120 Registered members in 2 weeks is a fine total... Now they have 119... If the admins of the site choose to retain the SOLE priviledge to offer the Xshard gold transfer on thier site, then I wish them the best of luck.

This guild no longer endorses the website because it restricts free trade. Anyone that I have referred to this website can read this thread and understand why I no longer endorse it.

I voluntarily left the site for the reasons stated above. What others choose to do is their own decision.

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I would like to point out Ultima Auctions is a free to use website... there is no fee to register, set up auctions or place bids. There are Terms and Conditions to registering which are updated based on certain things that may come to light as the website grows and matures because I am new to this making T&Cs.

There are are few limits put on to what you can and cannot sell but not many. you can find them in the Terms and conditions page.

anything you feel you cannot sell on Ultima Auctions I suggest you could try selling them on UOstratics or UOForums.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Sebastian (BMC)

Your non support and total of 14 posts, 3 of which are from this thread, to date is noted on these forums. That being said.

I direct my comments to Ultima Auctions

What a great job you have done with your site and offering. I would not worry about this kind of non support post. You can not please everyone nor should you try.

I can say that The "ACW" Ancient Conclave of Wisdom Guild supports and recommends you without reservation.

Thank you for all of the volunteer time and effort put into your site and the ongoing support you have provided for the player base of Ultima Online. This is another exciting site for the players by the players!

S

Sebastian (BMC)

Lord Nabin,

Your location appears to be on the Pacific Shard...

14 posts doesn't matter... All it means is that I dont get on stratics everyday and run my mouth.

In fact, I was in game 10 years and had firmly established my reputation there before I was invited to open a stratics account...

Thank you for visiting Atlantic's Trade Forum Lord Nabin...

You have a good night... :)

P.S. - I kinda dig your signature at the end of your post. I haven't created one yet... Maybe tonight's the night...

A

Aislingach1958

Guys at UA,
Prior to adding your current stipulation, your terms were;

Ultima-Auctions is not an Auctioneer
Although we are referred to as an online auction web site, it is important to realize that we are not a traditional "auctioneer." Instead, the Site acts as a venue to allow anyone to offer, sell, and buy Ultima Online items, at anytime, from anywhere, in an auction-style pricing format commonly referred to as "online auctions" or "auctions." We are not involved in the actual transaction between buyers and sellers. As a result, we have no control over the quality or legality of the items advertised, the truth or accuracy of the listings, the ability of sellers to sell items or the ability of buyers to pay for items. We cannot ensure that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction.

I also noticed that before the BMC joined your forum you had less than 100 registered users. I had 125 items I was going to put up on your site this weekend, including gold and silver since Sebastian was selling your site, and you were looking for an Electronic Arts endorser, well Gold is the price of abmission. Your business decision. You can take Aislingach off as a registered user as well. But at least thank the BMC for the membership drive, they helped increase your user list by ten fold. Its your business model, and you'll have to live and die by it.

A

Aislingach1958

SupSoc, UA has a post that they started up in February. I don't understand your time line its ten months by modern math.

A

Aislingach1958

Re: BMC Withdraws Endorsement Of Ultima Auctions - Lord Naban

And Lord Nabon, Before you critisize my lack of Posts, I helped develop UO, I played every, and I mean every Ultima game before it went online. I suggested changes in the very beginning. It started on my Atari computer. I formerly joined the online UO community in 1998, being killed by Seb's former guild at that time, ran into personal problems and rejoined in 2006. I know the history and basis for this game more than most. I talk to its creator, the original, who also knows Seb very well, personally. Please don't smash the people who gave you this world to play in. The BMC existed since Ultima 4, has struggled to make it live up to expectations when it was created online in 1997 as a test prototype. I am an elder, and Stratics (an organization I respect) is just beginning to hear from me. I am also a real world marketing guy, and you just don't change contracts on the fly. Not in real life. I would never, ever do that to one of my real world customers. And since this site sells gold for real money, it is a real world enterprise. End of soap box.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Seriously Please. Next....

T

Tazar

I am also a real world marketing guy, and you just don't change contracts on the fly. Not in real life. I would never, ever do that to one of my real world customers.
Really? Then why has EA changed the UO Terms of Service so many times over the years? Why are legal contracts reviewed and revised regularly? How many of us have seen changes to our credit card contracts in the last few years? Honestly, I see them changed regularly in many businesses. Life Evolves, Laws change, and contracts have to evolve to keep up. In addition, they have to change to provide clarity - as in this case.

And since this site sells gold for real money, it is a real world enterprise. End of soap box.
If the site sold gold for money, it would not be listed on Stratics since this would be a violation of our Fansite Agreement with EA-Mythic. I've been all over the UA site and found no cash sales at all.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord

Really? Then why has EA changed the UO Terms of Service so many times over the years? Why are legal contracts reviewed and revised regularly? How many of us have seen changes to our credit card contracts in the last few years? Honestly, I see them changed regularly in many businesses. Life Evolves, Laws change, and contracts have to evolve to keep up. In addition, they have to change to provide clarity - as in this case.

If the site sold gold for money, it would not be listed on Stratics since this would be a violation of our Fansite Agreement with EA-Mythic. I've been all over the UA site and found no cash sales at all.
What Tazar Said! I repeat Seriously? Next:pie:

S

Sebastian (BMC)

I think everybody prolly needs to calm down concerning this issue...

The information has been put out there and plenty of people are understandablely upset, but Tazar is right... Getting into a keyboard war isn't the answer... Clearly... A compromise should be reached if one can be...

I'll be the first to bring an olive banch to this situation...

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Everyone? You mean all six of us out of the entire massive realm of Stratics need to calm down and reach a compromise......

I think the reality of the situation here is that you really have no pull to the topic no one has really responded to your issue. The issue is pointless from the get go and frankly no one cares that you are withdrawing your support. If they did it would be already posted here.

In the mean time Ultima Auctions is continuing to grow without your support. Another Player created and run for Player site is succeeding in an excellent way to provide another great avenue for engaging the Ultima Online experience.

Thank you Ultima Auctions for taking time out of your life to provide us with a wonderful way to engage each other in both buying and selling items.

S

Sebastian (BMC)

I would ask that a moderator please delete the above post or get Lord Navel, I mean Lord Nabin, excuse me, to edit his post and withdraw his personal attack... Thanks...

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I would ask that a moderator please delete the above post or get Lord Navel, I mean Lord Nabin, excuse me, to edit his post and withdraw his personal attack... Thanks...
This is in no way a personal attack however we are approaching the reality of the pointless initial post and its effect on the overall community who has not acknowledged its usefulness in anyway.

S

Sebastian (BMC)

With the views fastly approaching 300 I would hardly say that the topic is meaningless... Others may not be posting but they are definately watching the evolution of these events... The issue before us is whether or not a auction site with feedback can effectively be used as a gold xfer platform to transfer gold... I believe it can... As do a great many others... I'll take your insults Nabin... With a smile... Because while your throwing your insults the question still remains out there for public scrutiny... When a auction site declares in it's original T&C:

"Although we are referred to as an online auction web site, it is important to realize that we are not a traditional "auctioneer." Instead, the Site acts as a venue to allow anyone to offer, sell, and buy Ultima Online items, at anytime, from anywhere, in an auction-style pricing format commonly referred to as "online auctions" or "auctions." We are not involved in the actual transaction between buyers and sellers. As a result, we have no control over the quality or legality of the items advertised, the truth or accuracy of the listings, the ability of sellers to sell items or the ability of buyers to pay for items. We cannot ensure that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction."

Those Ultima Online items could & should include gold to be sold to other shard players IF they wish to purchase an individuals home-shard gold...

Let the insults fly Nabin... Every insult you post is just one more bump to the top of the list buddy...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima auctions exists as an additional way for players to sell GOODs. It is not a cross sharding site.

Ultima Auctions does not allow, or engage in, cash sales, neither for goods nor gold.

For cross shard transactions please feel free to use the Stratics trade board.

We are aware that Rupert Avery, personally, has occasionally sold gold for cash. However he did not do so through Ultima Auctions, nor Stratics and has ceased that activity in favour of applying for fansite status for the auction site.

The rules of fansites, whether message boards or auction sites, are set by their various adminstrators, taking into account the rules of EAs fansite agreement. You agree to them when you sign up. If the rules of the site are not to your liking, then find, or set up, a site that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.