• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bloodthirst

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This has to be the most fascinating opportunity to have come along since... What year is it again? Well since the old clans went to the dogs in any case, and they never even existed within this shard of the universe.

So Lord Nythrax mused to himself as he sat atop the furnished roof of his secluded manor, puffing a cigar and looking idly at the blue smear on the horizon where the sun had recently set.

In his time he had belonged to many an organization which the common man might refer to as evil. Covens of vampires, necromantic cults, even a cabal of dark elven women who babbled in their silly language and pretended to be unfazed by his manly charms whenever they thought someone was looking. Any group of beings looking to do things they ought not had drawn his attention.

Until, in the end, it had all grown rather stale. Grandiose plans to smash the forces of "virtue" and conquer the world never really went anywhere, and the more "subtle" types who styled themselves as "ruling from the shadows" tended to do absolutely nothing meaningful whatsoever. Eventually the banality of it all had driven Nythrax into a state of semi-retirement.

Then he discovered the Knights of the Crux Ansata.

At first they seemed like nothing he hadn't seen three dozen times on three different worlds, an order of paladins ballyhooing around the countryside smiting whatever idiot demon was attempting to blow up the universe or steal all the cookies that week. Ho hum.

He had invited himself along on several of their highly public and incredibly disorganized operations, blending into the crowd to heckle and perhaps vulture a few corpses for loot after the fighting was done. It was slightly more amusing than listening to the grass grow in New Haven, but only just.

Ah, but then the world had fallen apart under them, and things had become legitimately interesting for the first time.

Witnessing the disembowelment of Queen Dawn the Incompetent at the hands of her addlebrained husband had been a real highlight of his recent life. Nythrax had cared nothing for the policies of the long-departed Lord British, but he had respected the man, and having a vapid nonentity like Dawn sitting on his throne had irked him to no end.

The aftermath of this delightful bit of regicide was even better, as the Crux and their spunky little leader Lady Amandine had suddenly found themselves unexpectedly elevated from professional meddlers to the only semblance of government in a rapidly disintegrating nation. Raiders in Britain, riots in the streets, and the closest thing to legitimate succession the kingdom had yet seen had been that debacle where someone had attempted to crown the Time Lord, only he didn't know he was the Time Lord, because he hadn't come back in time to kill himself yet. Or something. It still made his head hurt to think about.

In any event, the Crux had responded to their new mandate with a positively intriguing fascist streak, cracking down on anarchists, political dissenters, and starving peasants alike. At first Nythrax hadn't really believed what he was seeing. He dismissed it much as everyone else must have, as a bit of necessary roughness in a time of trouble. He joked that the Crux were fascists, but even he hadn't really believed it.

Until tonight. Tresha Trifeux was quite possibly a traitor, depending upon your perspective, and certainly an extraordinary malcontent, but then what reason did she have to be content? Ultimately, for all her political agitation, all she really seemed to want was food in her stomach and no boot on her throat.

For some utterly unfathomable reason Lady Amandine had made Nythrax, her resident tag-along heckler-in-chief, a captain over the operation to bring Trifeux in. He had to admit, too, that it was rather satisfying to sit back and "supervise" as Trifeux's boyfriend Nardello singlehandedly beat the snot out of dozens of knights before sucessfully fleeing.

And when the battered and humiliated knights had finally managed to track Tresha down and crash her little anarchist party at the Temple of Virtue, they had wanted blood. Not righteous retribution, but blood pure and simple. Her populist rhetoric had incensed them, until they were leaping and hissing, openly exulting in their tyranny, screaming for violence and proclaiming their superiority.

It was all rather shocking, even to one such as Nythrax, and to his surprise he found himself helping to shuttle Trifeux through a moongate to Yew for imprisonment rather than an immediate lynching. Her rhetoric about the virtues being empty, a tool of the elite, had appealed to him, and he wasn't quite prepared to let a crowd of homicidal "do-gooders" tear her limb from limb on the spot.

And yet why not? Badmouthing the virtues is always worth a few points in my book, but her vision of an egalitarian peasant's paradise means nothing to me. On the other hand a despotic Britannian dictatorship does have some appeal, especially if the despot thinks I make a suitable captain for some reason.

He blew out another puff of cigar smoke. Trifeux would come up for trial sooner or later, and Nythrax had seen his share of courtrooms in his day. He knew he could handle himself, and after all, hadn't Casca started his ascent to the throne as a Royal Prosecutor? He resolved to be a part of the proceedings, one way or another.

They might not be vampires, but they're certainly bloodthirsty, and isn't that all that matters in the end?

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really enjoyed this, and I look forward to more.

Maybe I have finally struck a chord and again found a note people find exciting fiction wise? I hope so.

When you guys get excited, I get excited and the events flow like water. :)

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Heck, I'll write whether I have a topic or not. I love doing this stuff. Check it out, today I saw some roleplayers at the bank and then trolled someone.

--- --- ---

The problem with most of those who style themselves evil, Nythrax thought as he belly-crawled through the short grass of New Haven, is that they're so bloody insecure.

The vampires had come to town again just a few minutes ago, settling into the little open-air cafe overlooking the town square. They chatted, and arched their brows, and behaved in ways clearly intended to be stoic or mysterious. Just as most of their kind did, vampires, drow, assassins and necromancers alike. Just as Nythrax might have done, if his niece had never been born.

That's all well and good, he mused to himself as he crept unseen toward his target, but it doesn't leave a lot of room for fun. Nythrax imagined that even Mondain must have occasionally wanted to eat candy or laugh at a fart joke now and then, but of course he couldn't because he was Mondain.

And if you can't even do that, he thought, what's the point of being an all-powerful dark wizard in the first place?

The Tokunese art known as Ninjitsu had never been a study of his, but Nythrax considered himself a jack of all trades, and a few minutes of clumsy experimentation with a book of techniques had been enough for him to execute one of the simpler animal transformations. Thus it was that his target remained blissfully unaware of his approach, even as he at last made his final leap.

"Evil bunny attack!" he bellowed as he hurtled through the air, or at least tried to bellow, his voice sounding quite strange coming from the tiny rabbit body he had assumed.

His foil, the entirely mortal woman in the purple leathers and red hakama, pushed his small form away from her as if an errant turd had landed in her lap, just as she always did. She turned and stormed away without dignifying his existence with a word, as was also her custom whenever he decided to provoke her. From across the town square, one of the vampires glanced over and made a face before turning back to his companions.

"Oh man," the rabbit said as it picked itself up from the ground. "Some people just don't know how to have fun."