• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Blocking members + blocking them from your threads

Should Ron Bron implement this into the system or something very similiar?

• YES

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • NO

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello, this has been a problem for quite some time and I would like to suggest an easy fix.

The issue is mainly with the trade forums but we also have the occasional trolls in other threads I am sure members would love to get these trolls off their threads.

I am suggesting that when a member blocks another member. That member can not pm them in anyway, they can not see their threads nor can they post on their threads.

This solution will save Moderators lots of time fixing and deleting posts for members, or cleaning up a thread in general from trolls. I believe many members would appreciate it if this was implemented thanks.

I have added a poll please vote if you have the time.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would also suggest that if a member is blocked from a thread, they also cant view it.

overall i dont know how i feel about this proposed feature.

Yes, i would like to block certain users from my threads, but also feel thats its a bit simplistic and detrimental to a free-flowing, open, yet civil community.

In an ideal world (and website) players shouldnt have the option to just "ban" someone from a thread (because lets face it, this doesnt exactly make sense especially for an MMORPG gaming website, where the whole point is supposed to be exposer to all types of players / people)

HOWEVER (big however)
Something must be done to dissuade habitual trolls, known scammers, known ban evaders, etc. If this was done efficiently it would create a much more functional community website than simply banning from a thread. Users would then learn to post / act civily, or actually risk a ban (not the meaningless deletion of a post)

that being said, i would also reinstate the "adult" section of stratics that we used to have, so users could still have an outlet for trash talk, insults, all that stuff, personal insults of mothers and reputation etc. I feel this also should'nt be censored, but should not interfere with general conversations, trade posts, etc. No "points" or punishment or risk of ban would be hand out in this section.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the original poster should be able to remove posts from a thread they make rather than have to wait for a moderator etc.

Yes. You should be able to ban people from threads or block them viewing etc.

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about a rating system. Kind of like EBay has positive/negative reviews. And if you dip below a certain negative review people will just use common sense and not buy or sell to you. Like for instance
Auction Starting must have a +5 Poistive Review to bid. And everyone under a +5 Positive Review can't comment. I don't know if that makes sense lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about a rating system. Kind of like EBay has positive/negative reviews. And if you dip below a certain negative review people will just use common sense and not buy or sell to you. Like for instance
Auction Starting must have a +5 Poistive Review to bid. And everyone under a +5 Positive Review can't comment. I don't know if that makes sense lol

That would be great if they have some time to spend in it and the scripts are easy to implement.

I think the original poster should be able to removed posts from a thread they make rather than have to wait for a moderator etc.

I agree maybe they can make it so the Thread poster has some more control, and can ban users they dont' want in that specific thread for that day if they continue to troll rinse repeat. Then mods wont have to be involved in "Cleaning up threads" or having to lock them when they get chaotic.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

my problem with this is, what if mike D sits in his basement just making accounts to give negative feedback to all the most respected brokers / posters / players. with little "security" on stratics, it just seems very problematic to implement.
This isnt ebay where you actually have to have legitimate information to have an account.

what if someone has a personal issue with someone, like say you kill me at yew gate, so i mass messege my icq list of hundreds of people to give you negative stratics feedback.

yes these are "worst case" scenerios, but you know uo players.

Kei

Knight of Kingdom of God
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I support soulweaver idea. Let's not go overkill on this thing. Blocking people from my thread is good enough.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disagree.

I don't like trolling as much as the next person (or if we're putting it nicely, "insincere users"), but the nature of trolling is often times misconstrued to a point where merely disagreeing with someone earns an accusation of trolling. Every user on this forum should be free to post in any thread so long as they follow the rules of the forum - not the imagined rules of an OP. I should not be banned from threads merely for disagreeing with a user, or because the user doesn't like me, and frankly not every user can be trusted with determining who is posting in bad faith. This is a forum on the internet, and it must remain a platform for open discussion. Pursuing this path will turn the forum into a bizarre kind of echo chamber.

I don't browse the trade forums very often and thus I don't know what precise issue this is meant to solve, but as it is not explained I have to offer a disagreement.

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disagree.

I don't like trolling as much as the next person (or if we're putting it nicely, "insincere users"), but the nature of trolling is often times misconstrued to a point where merely disagreeing with someone earns an accusation of trolling. Every user on this forum should be free to post in any thread so long as they follow the rules of the forum - not the imagined rules of an OP. I should not be banned from threads merely for disagreeing with a user, or because the user doesn't like me, and frankly not every user can be trusted with determining who is posting in bad faith. This is a forum on the internet, and it must remain a platform for open discussion. Pursuing this path will turn the forum into a bizarre kind of echo chamber.

I don't browse the trade forums very often and thus I don't know what precise issue this is meant to solve, but as it is not explained I have to offer a disagreement.

Completely understandable which is why i was pushing this more towards the "Trades Forums" where people dont follow those rules and just let it be an auction or sales thread opinions from members arent necessary. Purchase the item, place you bid etc.... Maybe they can make this option available for just the Trade Forums.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

This feature will be built into a future release of the classifieds system. I know the system hasn't been useful to date, but there are several releases that I expect to make it more valuable.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Disagree.

What about having the ability to delete posts, but not ban members from the thread? We could also give the thread owner the ability to lock their own threads...

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Hello, this has been a problem for quite some time and I would like to suggest an easy fix.

The issue is mainly with the trade forums but we also have the occasional trolls in other threads I am sure members would love to get these trolls off their threads.

I am suggesting that when a member blocks another member. That member can not pm them in anyway, they can not see their threads nor can they post on their threads.

This solution will save Moderators lots of time fixing and deleting posts for members, or cleaning up a thread in general from trolls. I believe many members would appreciate it if this was implemented thanks.

I have added a poll please vote if you have the time.
For those that voted yes, is this a feature that would be valuable enough to convince you to subscribe to the website?

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about having the ability to delete posts, but not ban members from the thread? We could also give the thread owner the ability to lock their own threads...
If by that you mean deleting other users' posts in a thread, I must oppose that as well because I do not believe that any user should ever be penalized or removed from a discussion so long as their posts conform to the established code of conduct. But I must stress that I am coming at this from the angle of discussions on a discussion forum - maybe there is something to be said for the trade forum where the focus isn't exactly discussion.

I would not be opposed to being able to lock your own thread.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
If by that you mean deleting other users' posts in a thread, I must oppose that as well because I do not believe that any user should ever be penalized or removed from a discussion so long as their posts conform to the established code of conduct. But I must stress that I am coming at this from the angle of discussions on a discussion forum - maybe there is something to be said for the trade forum where the focus isn't exactly discussion.

I would not be opposed to being able to lock your own thread.
What if we limit the feature to just trade boards?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have a strong opinion on that, because I don't use the trade forums very often. Whatever happens, I believe it needs to be in accordance with an established set of written rules.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I don't have a strong opinion on that, because I don't use the trade forums very often. Whatever happens, I believe it needs to be in accordance with an established set of written rules.
I agree with that, and honestly we're looking at this as something to help with the Trade Forums. Right now there isn't away to allow non-staff members to block specific users from posting in their threads, but there is a way to allow them a limited ability to moderate threads they start, that's the key it would only be usable by the OP in a thread. We'd have documentation on it as additional forum rules to prevent abuse.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess I don't use trade forums so I can't comment there. I try to trade with folk fairly and openly but I'm not one to sell things in game openly. I often only trade with folk I have some history with.

As for other forums like U-Hall I think it should be open ..... I can see wanting to be able to lock the post as the OP... but in my opinion if you open up and post on a public forum then you are opening yourself up to the opinions of others. Whether or not you agree with them is irrelevant. If someone gets out of line I'm inclined to report them but as a general rule if I make a post I stand by my post and if someone wishes to argue their point of view then that's fine. I have to accept that not everyone thinks like me or likes the same things I do... or has the same standards and morals that I do.

Sadly though a great many people seem to feel that just because we are on the internet other people are just words on a page... they forget that there are people behind those words. People with feelings, people who lives lives that we have no knowledge of. We don't know if they just lost their job.... Got crapped on by the boss... Had their car rearended on the way home from work... spent the last 5 days with a spouse or loved one in a hospital... etc... While we are talking about trivialities and such with a game that we all love, we sometimes have to remember that there people behind the words we are reading...

Some folk enjoy playing board warrior... I sometimes image these are the same folk who were bullies in High School... Or were the toads of the bullies or maybe they were picked on by bullies and this is their form of "payback"...

Some folk have a glass half-empty attitude and other glass half-full. Some find that negativity and always thinking negatively makes positive things 10X brighter... some find all negativity to be too stressful because they can't picture anything other than sunshine and any negativity is seen as a dark cloud of a looming storm... though they never realize that without that storm.... flowers don't bloom.

You never know how someone grew up... what they endured in their lifetime... I've often marveled over what makes one child a President and another a drunken lout filled with self doubt and pity.

I tend to be a glass half-full sort of person... I see negativity but I see it in such a way that when good happens it's wonderful... or when the negative thoughts don't happen I'm super excited. I also tend to be critical of things as I am to myself. I set high standards for myself and I expect others to do the same. Matter of facts and don't like it when things are not black and white. Sometimes I come off a bit harsh but that's because I'm more black and white and I don't have much patience.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
We all hate to hear opposing ideas or thoughts. These should be regulated, edited or ignored. ;)
I too fear it will be used to remove opposing ideas or thoughts, I know some will abuse it, and delete every post, poster, who disagree with them.
On Tradeforums it may be ok but I still don't like it. Lets say, someone try to scam someone, it should be possible for people to post something to warn players, maybe just simple trading advices to save someone from getting burned.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I too fear it will be used to remove opposing ideas or thoughts, I know some will abuse it, and delete every post, poster, who disagree with them.
On Tradeforums it may be ok but I still don't like it. Lets say, someone try to scam someone, it should be possible for people to post something to warn players, maybe just simple trading advices to save someone from getting burned.
I agree. Though I can say you never know who to believe. Some cry wolf when they just don't like the seller. I've witnessed some really bad folk ruin decent folk. But who's so say what exactly is right or wrong but a person should at least hear all sides to a story. Coins have more than 2 sides to them...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I agree. Though I can say you never know who to believe. Some cry wolf when they just don't like the seller. I've witnessed some really bad folk ruin decent folk. But who's so say what exactly is right or wrong but a person should at least hear all sides to a story. Coins have more than 2 sides to them...
Well the idea is mainly for trade forums, and would be restricted to there. Part of the trend we keep seeing is that sellers have certain individuals they have had bad experiences with, and their threads either get trolled, or even after stating they won't accept offers from specific individuals they post anyways. Usually this results in numerous reported posts which Mods have to go clean up. We're just looking at a means to allow folks who use the trade forums a bit of control over their own listings.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would love the feature to block someone from my threads!

If it were a Facebook type block, then they just wouldn't see the content, user etc. This is a fab idea. Maybe it can be an opt-in type thing so it doesn't have to be just limited to the trade forums.. That way if a user is experiencing difficulties, they can maybe turn the feature on.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
We don't allow people to accuse others of scamming, since it can't really be proven and inevitably turns into flame warring. It's just as easy for a scammer to accuse an honest person of scamming as it is for an honest person to name a scammer, so this is to protect everyone. An accusation of scamming is a personal attack. However, what people CAN do is state "I won't do business with So-and-So."

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I know, but that can protect the scammer too. I was only thinking about a soft warning like "I won't do business with So-and-So." or something in that line.
People try doing that, and it doesn't work, saying that just gets seen as an invitation to troll by the So's. We wind up with a lot of post reports because of this, which is why were looking for an alternative. A way to help the community and help us at the same time.

Edit

Let me add this though anything we put in, will still leave the ability for staff to review and oversee to prevent abuse if we're presented with a challenge to the action someone takes.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Well the idea is mainly for trade forums, and would be restricted to there. Part of the trend we keep seeing is that sellers have certain individuals they have had bad experiences with, and their threads either get trolled, or even after stating they won't accept offers from specific individuals they post anyways. Usually this results in numerous reported posts which Mods have to go clean up. We're just looking at a means to allow folks who use the trade forums a bit of control over their own listings.
See... That is the thing. I have people I trust. If those folks tell me stuff, I believe them. Some tell me who is an ass wagon and who is strait.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
@SoulWeaver I voted no. You and I know why. Would you delete this post? Is there a reason you collect trolls?

I know the rules well. Am I a troll?

I dislike your trader friendly agenda. I appreciate what the traders do for the game as a whole. I just do not feel you need more protection or attention than any other type of player.

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@SoulWeaver I voted no. You and I know why. Would you delete this post? Is there a reason you collect trolls?

I know the rules well. Am I a troll?

I dislike your trader friendly agenda. I appreciate what the traders do for the game as a whole. I just do not feel you need more protection or attention than any other type of player.
See that's the problem Kelmo, this is to stop the attention, so sellers can sell because thats what the forum is there for to sell your items. If we want to troll and chit chat their are plenty of other forums to do that on, and i am not asking users to run the show by any means I am just trying to make it easier for players to sell items, and MODs not to have to deal with nonsense 75% of the time. When it can easily be solved.

Another idea is to implement an actual auction system so all anyone can do is bid on that specific item. No talking at all what so ever. That would work great to. But then we will need a user review / rating type of system so people aren't just throwing in fake bids etc.... Anyways I am sure their is a better way to do things then the current status.

Good to see you friend :)

Last edited:

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know what you are attempting to do.
Please oh please express your mastermind ideas that you think I am attempting to do lol.... This should be good, let me get a cocktail first.

Edit: Okay I am ready

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
OK... You caught me monologing...

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
See that's the problem Kelmo, this is to stop the attention, so sellers can sell because thats what the forum is there for to sell your items. If we want to troll and chit chat their are plenty of other forums to do that on, and i am not asking users to run the show by any means I am just trying to make it easier for players to sell items, and MODs not to have to deal with nonsense 75% of the time. When it can easily be solved.

Another idea is to implement an actual auction system so all anyone can do is bid on that specific item. No talking at all what so ever. That would work great to. But then we will need a user review / rating type of system so people aren't just throwing in fake bids etc.... Anyways I am sure their is a better way to do things then the current status.

Good to see you friend :)
Auction system is expected in the future, but I can't give an ETA. The developer has been silent recently.

Regards,

Ron Bron

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Auction system is expected in the future, but I can't give an ETA. The developer has been silent recently.

Regards,

Ron Bron
Hell yeah Ron, can't wait for that type of system its really needed thank you sir.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the original poster should be able to remove posts from a thread they make rather than have to wait for a moderator etc.

NO because all you will end up with is a bias thread. GEE I guess you wish you could remove my comment because I disagree with you.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Absolutely vote no on the poll.

There is a big cry baby crowd in the Stratics community of ornery old men and angry widows that cries foul anytime someone like myself posts up contrary opinions and calls out the total non-sense others claim as fact. For example, look at some PvP discussions. There are certain people who are so opposed to Fel activity and PvP that they will post up out right lies and untrue information just because its a part of the game they don't like. The developer's read these threads. If one of these anti-Fel folks posted up a thread and then blocked anyone who is pro-Fel or pro-PVP, you would be doing the community a major disservice. I would go as far as to almost stop participation on the forums if this becomes the case. (this response is to the overall poll question)

There has to be an better option. I can understand some ability to self-moderate on the trade forums in some cases. However, some of the more important discussions such as those in Uhall would need to be much more open ended.

Good discussion so far.

Last edited:

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can you make as easy as creating a mailing list in outlook....meaning In the block field I type in "Losers", or "blocked" and it blocks all the peeps on my list I have created. Double points if you can include staff...just sayin'

I'd be all for it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I can understand the use of it on trading forums, but even there, I don't think we should give thread creator's whole-sale rights to ban people or block them. Some times people selling something don't know what they're doing, will post up ridiculous reserves, and get all bitchy at any criticism... even though sometimes it's fair and necessary to point out. I can understand that every so often, a thread that was an auction or meant to sell something can be taken over by others and go off the rails. However, I would rather see a more heavily moderated trade forum (or just having someone else assist Norrington with the forum), rather than a ban and delete option.

Mark my words - this will not be successful if it's implemented. People will create second and third accounts, use different IP addresses, so on and so forth. People will find ways around it and then people using it will moan and groan. It will cause more heart ache than it's worth.

Just my two cents... but I felt it was necessary to reiterate my VOTE NO on this.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
People will create second and third accounts, use different IP addresses, so on and so forth. People will find ways around it and then people using it will moan and groan. It will cause more heart ache than it's worth.
I can see how that would become a problem very quickly. Definitely something to consider.