• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Blizzard is going what the past x expansions for UO claimed to

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The latest World of Warcraft expansion is going to focus on enhancing the original world. They will be remaking the landscapes, adding new quests and areas, enhancing character progression, etc.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm

I find it funny how Blizzard is going against the tried and true MMO tradition of just moving on to a new land with each expansion. This is also a pretty gutsy move depending on how far they take the remaking.

I wonder how great UO would be today if Blizzard were the ones in charge =/

Also this actually makes sense from a financial point of view. WOW has probably seen close to the maximum number of new players that it can. There are ~11 million active subscriptions and who knows how many people have ultimately played the game. Reworking the entire game like this will give a reason for former players to return and give it another round. Maybe Blizzard will see subscriptions spike by another couple million accounts, even if they only stick around for say 6 months.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if blizzard was in charge of UO, it would be the top MMORPG, not WoW.

sadly, in my opinion anyways, UO has a POS dev team and its evident in the product they produce.

I'm waiting for the day I come to these forums and see something that makes me say "wow, UO has really come around! i think i'll reactivate my subscription."

I'm not holding my breath.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think its a little different.

in UO you make your own fun in the "old lands", In WoW soon as you are done leveling all your characters there is no reason to go back to the old lands. Unless you want to torture yourself with the Barrens/Goldshire general chat.... ugh.

Dunno why Blizzard is only raising the level cap to 85 though.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dunno why Blizzard is only raising the level cap to 85 though.

They had to cut down the # of level ups per expac sooner or later. if they kept it at 10, two years from now a newbie would be lvling from 1-100. thats alot of levels.

In WoW soon as you are done leveling all your characters there is no reason to go back to the old lands. Unless you want to torture yourself with the Barrens/Goldshire general chat.... ugh.

it was my understanding that they were going to actually give reason to go back to the old lands. which would make sense of revamping it.

Also, I agree.

I survived Barrens Chat, Twice.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it was my understanding that they were going to actually give reason to go back to the old lands. which would make sense of revamping it.

Also, I agree.

I survived Barrens Chat, Twice.
Aye. I understand why they made this expansion (which I think looks cool) is to give a reason to go back to the old lands. As mentioned in existing WoW, there is no reason to.

Gotta hand it to Bliz tho, they listened to the players. How long has it been now that we wanted flying mounts in the old lands :p

Does surviving the Barrens chat twice give an achievement?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think its a little different.

in UO you make your own fun in the "old lands", In WoW soon as you are done leveling all your characters there is no reason to go back to the old lands.
Yes, the games are designed a little differently. But the UO team has never really gone back to a prior addition and reworked it. For example with Mondain's Legacy they added the new quest system. Yet the vast majority of quests were located in new areas. You couldn't go into Cove and discover several new quests.

UO has so much content and empty spaces out there that you could make several expansions just adding stuff to the existing world. The reason they do all new areas is because it is easier to control access for only people to paid for it.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, the games are designed a little differently. But the UO team has never really gone back to a prior addition and reworked it. For example with Mondain's Legacy they added the new quest system. Yet the vast majority of quests were located in new areas. You couldn't go into Cove and discover several new quests.

UO has so much content and empty spaces out there that you could make several expansions just adding stuff to the existing world. The reason they do all new areas is because it is easier to control access for only people to paid for it.
Think the problem with UO is that there are houses every ware. They can't just go change existing lands in the same way blizzard is doing it in this expansion. Same thing with the boats. I'm sure there are people who leave them way out in the middle of noware.

I do wish that EA had an easy way to add new land that did not require an expansion CD. Content patches would be a good thing and a nice change because it seems that all we get is the mob invasions and WoW gets new instances added. Who would not like new dungeons added every few months?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Think the problem with UO is that there are houses every ware. They can't just go change existing lands in the same way blizzard is doing it in this expansion. Same thing with the boats. I'm sure there are people who leave them way out in the middle of noware.
There is a lot of areas where housing is not allowed. For example the entire Trammel side of The Lost Lands is basically useless right now.

I do wish that EA had an easy way to add new land that did not require an expansion CD. Content patches would be a good thing and a nice change because it seems that all we get is the mob invasions and WoW gets new instances added. Who would not like new dungeons added every few months?
The developers have this ability and have had it for a decade. They just don't use it very often.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps an injection of .... well reality is due.

EverQuest put a program together to redo the art work in its original content.

Mostly (just one exception that I can think of) was received as a major improvement and was .... well superior in terms of immersion.

Reality, yeah the Old crowd went and played in it for a few weeks then it was *Shrug* yeah it is beautiful, wonderful etc but ......

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The lost lands creeps me out. I can't navigate through there and there's no rhythm to it.
It's due for a cataclysm of it's own. Put some housing in there.
What's it's purpose anyway? Was it just thrown in? Am I missing the point of this land?
Papua has buildings with glitches. Deluccia I do like.
If they are going to do some revisiting on old lands... this is a place to start. There's no quests in there either, right?

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so blizzard invalidated 80 levle gear toi make yah run for 85 lvl gear for next 6 months hmmm!!!!!!!

then will be a publish doing it again ride that treadmill

any quit down time u of wow can be regained with next publish !!!!!!!

in weeks

There is a lot of areas where housing is not allowed. For example the entire Trammel side of The Lost Lands is basically useless right now.

The developers have this ability and have had it for a decade. They just don't use it very often.

N

Nestorius

Wait, weren't there a few more (much more interesting) posts going on here??!!! Removed or am I looking at the wrong thread?

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're not hallucinating, I'm being censored... It was to be expected anyways, relations oblige.

I'll refrain from commenting any further. And probably move on... no hard feelings.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What happened to this topic? There used to be some posts about some conspiracy theory. It was funny.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If Blizzard were in charge we wouldn't be playing UO. It would have been pussified way long ago. We'd probably be playing Darkfall Online currently.