• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Blacksmithing & Tailoring Recipes

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I returned to UO about a year ago after quitting back in 2001. At that time, I had a GM Tailor. I've been playing many other characters since I returned, but I recently decided it is time to dust off my old tailor, revive him, and make him also a blacksmith.

I'm adding arms lore now and succeeded in picking up 120 PS for Tailoring and Blacksmithing. Thanks to the excellent guides in this forum, I should be set for skill gain.

The one thing I need help with is the UOML recipes for certain weapons and armor. I'm sure there is a FAQ or a sticky that has this info, but I couldn't find it easily. What quests (and therefore quest givers) do I need to meet in Heartwood to get blacksmithing and tailoring recipes? I'm particularly interested in obtaining the Twinkling Scimitar, Mage's Runeblade, Heavy Ornate Axe, Silver Etched Mace, and Ruby Mace recipes. I know some of these are rare, but don't know which quest givers to seek in Heartwood. Also, can I actually complete the quests with a smith/tailor, or do I need a tinker? Thanks in advance for your help!

-OBSIDIAN-

M

Malkes

I think they are all available from the same two smiths in Heartwood. In the southern most "arm" of heartwood there should be two smith npcs. Completing quests for either of them will reward you with a satchel that has a chance to have any of the smithing recipes in them.

For tailoring, on the same "arm" there will be two tailor npcs. You can, likewise, get any of the tailoring recipes from them.

The particular quest you do to try to get them doesn't matter, they all have the same chance of giving you the recipes. You should try to find which quest requires the least amount of resources to complete.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Will I be able to complete the quests from the tailor and blacksmith NPCs with my own blacksmithy and tailoring skills? I keep hearing about tinker quests for things such as the recipe for the Scrapper's Compendium. I have no idea what a tinker knows about scribing. I just want to make sure I don't need a tinker to obtain the blacksmithy and tailoring recipes too.

Thanks for giving me the location of the quest givers in Heartwood. I will check that out.

-OBSIDIAN-

M

Malkes

You will have no problem. The smith npcs ask for things like Heater Shields and Katanas.

Don't remember what the tailors ask for specifically, but they do ask for tailor made items.

Edit: The reason for tinkered items (and musical instruments, I think) giving the Scrappers recipe is because I don't think there is actually a "scribe" quest npc in Heartwood. This is primarily because the Scrappers is the only inscription reward recipe there is (I'm pretty sure that's true, anyway).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, the smith quests are Heater shields, broadswords and bascinets. There's also a dragonscale armor piece quest, but I dont' see someone doing that for a recipe (given that the scales are worth 20 points each at the library collection).

There's a quest guide in the works for Stratics (completed, actually, and if you have the content number you can access it), but it's currently being delayed by a planned redesign of the UO Stratics page.

M

Malkes

Ahh, yes, broadswords. Had my swords mixed up there, thanks Basara.

R

Remyi

And these recipes come VERY frequently from the blacksmith quests at least. I was doing the broad sword quest repeatedly trying to get the twinkling scimitar recipe. It took 15x broad sword quests to get it, 3 of the 15 did not yield a recipe. Sure, many of them were repeats, but that is not the point.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks all for your inputs! You alleviated my concerns. I'm looking forward to my future Smith/Tailor.

-OBSIDIAN-

K

Kallie Pigeon

And these recipes come VERY frequently from the blacksmith quests at least. I was doing the broad sword quest repeatedly trying to get the twinkling scimitar recipe. It took 15x broad sword quests to get it, 3 of the 15 did not yield a recipe. Sure, many of them were repeats, but that is not the point.
WOW! I gave it a try yesterday and finally got the twinkiling scimitar recipe, now I need to get the large ornate axe and butchers war cleaver. Oddly I had many that did not give a recipe but out of 20 I did I got 4 recipes that I did not have and none that I did. By far the best run I have had so far.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I went back and did 40 more and got the heavy ornate axe but it was no where as good of a run as the one before. I got the heavy ornate axe twice and the twinkiling scimitar again and a bunch of other recipes that I already had. Well that shoud fullfill my boredom requirements for a while to come. If only I could get that butchers war cleaver.