• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Blacksmithing post 114

D

Divster

Hey guys not sure where this post should be without pro forums, but was wondering if anyone could tell me what i should be making to gain post 114 with my smith, I'm currently making platemail tunics!. Any help would be greatly appreciated

F

FarukAlazar

Regular circlets will get you all the way to 120, and they only use 6 ingots each. If you recycle them with a salvage bag, the ingot cost is not that bad.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm fairly certain that I went all the way to 120 on plate sleeves..... Fairly...... but my suggestion would be to look at some of the SE things as they may have a higher difficulty base. Look for items with high difficulty and less ingot use.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At 116 it's Plate Legs til about 118, then the plate chests. BUT if C's will get you to 120 & less ingots I'd do them :D

D

Divster

Thx guys worked a treat with the circlets , one other question could anyone tell me the best way to raise arms lore past 90?

L

Loquacious Wrath

I think the best way to get arms lore up, without discord training which I am not certain is legal, is to craft items. You could always ID the same item over and over too.

F

FarukAlazar

The most honest way to do it is through crafting. Bod's Bod's Bod's.

P

packrat

47.5 - 53.0 - Kryss
53.0 - 57.5 - War Axe
57.5 - 59.5 - Katana
59.5 - 70.5 - Spear
70.5 - 106.4 - Platemail Gorget
106.4 - 108.9 Platemail Gloves
108.9 - 116.3 Platemail Arms
116.3 - 118.8 Platemail Legs
118.8 - 120 Platemail Tunics

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lored daggers all the way to GM, from about 90 it took me about 4 hrs or so.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Snakeman - Tried that on one character.

4 hours go me from 90 to 90.1 and that was a GGS gain. IT doesn't seem to work fast for everyone.

Packrat, that chart is good for filling BODs to train, but if you're just crafting to smelt (selling back is pointless with ingot costs now), the circlets are the way to go.

Replace Gorgets with normal Circlets at about 90.
Switch to Royal Circlets at 100, all the way to 120.

Royal circlets are as hard or harder to craft than legs, almost as hard as Tunics, but take only 6 ingots - and if you have GM Mining, are wearing the +5 gloves to get to 105 mining, and use a salvage bag, you get back FIVE of ever six ingots from each salvaged circlet or royal circlet.

I just did a recent evaluation of this over on the Players Corner, since the Smith Forum isn't back up yet...

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=2653

The following link gives you all the gain ranges for all smith items that do not require special ingredients...

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=176
(follow the link in my reply to Wanderer for the chart itself - the initial post gives the math behind it).

L

Lord Richard

Thx guys worked a treat with the circlets , one other question could anyone tell me the best way to raise arms lore past 90?
JUst make a in UO macro to lore the last object in your pack, will only take about a day from zero

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If it works for you, that is....

It didn't for me.

4 hours, only one gain and that was the GGS at the beginning of it. I then switched to crafting things and got 5 gains in 3 minutes.

If you're training blacksmithing, all you do by doing the examination method of Arms Lore is WASTE TIME.

By the time you get your Blacksmithing to a level where you'd attempt to make stuff to keep, Arms Lore will be GM.

Doing it via the Arms lore skill use, as you guys suggest, is only really necessary if you already have your Blacksmith skill at 120 - and even then it doesn't work for everyone, as my own experience has shown.

T

T_Amon_from_work

My AL is 97+ and still gaining. Not only do I craft smith stuff (BODs), but tailoring BODs, and now Bowcraft. While it's getting painfully slow to rise, it is rising as I work.

D

Divster

Thanks for the helpfull replies folks, happy to report another legendary smith on the scene and arms lore at 97 and counting! The circlets worked wonders all the way to 120 so thx for that tip!

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Royal Circlets from 93 to 120. They only take 6 ingots (1 if you smelt them at GM mining).

I recently went from GM to 120 using less than 50K ingots doing this. I don't know the exact amount, but I only had 50K in my chest when I started and I never had to get more.

To GM Arms lore, Train to 120 Smith or Tailor (or both). Fill BODs, or use the skill on the same weapon over and over again (us a macro -use skill->Wait for Target->Last Target). If you get stuck, switch to a different weapon or piece of armor. I haven't done this in awhile, but it worked right after the change to Arms Lore.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Setnaffa, how many ingots did you lose per circlet? Were you using just straight 100 mining, or 105 (100 with gloves)? And did you use a salvage bag to recycle?

Note the difference in ingot consumption, smelting your successes (can't do much about crafting failures...)

100 Mining, normal smelting: 3 ingots back each (you have to have 101.1 mining to get to 2/3 back)
100 Mining, using Salvage bag: 4 ingots back each (3 + 1 for the bag)
101.1 to 105 mining, normal smelting: 4 ingots back (2/3 of 6)
101.1 to 105 mining, salvage bag: 5 ingots back (4 + 1 from bag)

Depending on which you used, the cost using the optimum return could be significantly less than what you used.

Note that I only needed 900 ingots, at the optimum (5 ingot) return, to go from 110 to 111.1 (and this was after getting my guaranteed gain on something else an hour earlier), and after finishing my training session, still recovered 218 of the 900 (for a net cost under 700 of the 900)