• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Blackrock FAQ (May 6, 2007)

Rhus Radicans

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we've been needing one for a while.

Forum Veterans please feel free to correct me/add information in replies. Thanks!

1. What is blackrock?

Blackrock is a substance that first appeared in Britannia during the war with the Ophidians (2006). A strange pillar appeared in the bottom of Terathan Keep, which when destroyed showered pieces of blackrock in the dungeon.

2. What is blackrock good for?

Blackrock is the reagent for the Armageddon spell. Armageddon, when properly cast, would result in the annihilation of all life on Sosaria. So far, no one has been able to properly cast it. Any Mage or Necromancer of at least GM skill can attempt to cast Armageddon. To do so, you must possess a piece of blackrock, which you place on the ground near you. Then you say the following words of power: vas kal an mani in corp hur tym. If you're unsuccessful, you'll get a message that "you feel uneasy." If you're successful, one of several things can happen:
__a. You'll wave your arms a little as if casting a normal spell (if your hands are free and you are not mounted on a pet).
__b. The blackrock will explode, blowing you several tiles away, and damaging you.
__c. The blackrock will explode and kill you. Your body parts will be scattered around the area, and your possessions will be in a backpack near the torso of your body.
__d. A Wisp will appear and attempt to communicate you. It will even follow you around for a short while, before departing.

3. Where do I find blackrock?

Currently the only way to acquire blackrock is to dig up a piece while mining. To dig up blackrock you must be a GM miner, either naturally or with use of Blacksmith Gloves of Mining, which means you can dig blackrock with 95 mining if you have the Ringmail Blacksmith Gloves of Mining. Blackrock can be found in any normal mining spot, will drop into your backpack along with a message that you have found a piece of blackrock. This message is similar to the message you receive when you dig up a Mondaine's Legacy gem. Be aware that blackrock is a rare drop, and you will not find a lot of it. You can improve you chances by mining in Felucca, with all the usual cautions in effect. Mined blackrock is very small and hard to see in the 2d UO backpack, so you may not realize you have a piece.

4. I dug up a Blackrock Elemental! Help!

Blackrock Elementals are bad news. The developers designed them to deter script mining, and also to provide a penalty for daring to dig for blackrock. Blackrock Elementals look like Shadow Iron Ore Elementals, but are titled A Blackrock Elemental in red script. The Blackrock Elemental is very close to unkillable, is as fast as a Paragon, has a huge number of hit points and powerful hit point regeneration. They suffer no damage from pets, spells or summons creatures, and reflect all damage at the rate of 50%. If you are near a town they can be lured there and guard whacked (I speak from experience here). Otherwise it is best to lure them away from your corpse so that you can gather your belongings.

5. I cast Armageddon, and now I hear voices!

You are infected by blackrock. As of this writing, what this means to the infected character hasn't been revealed by the developers, but it results in a couple of phenomena:
__a. You begin to "hear voices" (text messages in your play window). These range from greetings (Good Morning!) to incitement to murder (Kill them! Kill them all! Tear them to pieces!).
__b. You begin infecting creatures, NPCs and monsters nearby with Blackrock sickness. This results in the creature turning red, becoming more powerful, and attacking players on sight. Any creature that has a chance of dropping a treasure map will, when infected by blackrock, have a chance to drop a special treasure chest.

6. I just infected a cat and I didn't even cast Armageddon! What gives!

It is possible to infect creatures with Blackrock sickness simply by carrying a piece of blackrock in your backpack. If you don't wish to infect creatures, put the blackrock in storage.

7. Who are these "Traders" I've heard of that give rewards for blackrock?

Mysterious people in black shrouds titled "A Trader" appeared in the town of Haven recently, offering incredible rewards for blackrock. These ranged from Mondaine's Legacy Peerless ingredients and gems, to Doom Artifacts and Tokuno Treasure artifacts, to upper level Runic Hammers and Ancient Smithy Hammers. The Traders have since disappeared, and the town of Haven has been destroyed. Cause and Effect? No one knows, but official policy of Britannia is to have nothing to do with blackrock.

8. Miscellaneous other information on blackrock

After the original blackrock pillar exploded in Terathan Keep, blackrock appeared throughout Britannia in other ways. Small pieces were found on the ground in the wilderness, and later on, several motherlodes of blackrock were discovered in the Lost Lands. At the motherlodes blackrock pieces could be dug up by players with no mining experience, at the risk of being attacked by Blackrock Elementals, Toxic Oozes and Nether Vortexes. Also at the motherlode areas a strange skill effect was seen, that of the player being able to raise skills with little effort. At the current writing blackrock cannot be acquired at the motherlodes, nor can improved skill gains be made. All of the information is this section is historical only, blackrock can currently only be acquired by mining.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent overview. Really everything about blackrock.

But one additional thing I would like to mention: Digging for most of my br in felucca I started to change my locations (due to a nasty overflow of red murderers) several days ago.

I moved to malas (the luna passage to be exact) and started my business there. I´ve found 9 pieces of br there so far, about in the same time I got that much br in Felucca.

So I think the chance to get these things has nothing to do with the facets.

V

Veldez

So, is Armageddon the ONLY known use for blackrock, besides infecting random critters? Seems kinda silly that it's so sought after if that's all it's good for

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well several weeks ago there were blackrock traders. You got high rewards for turning them in (artifacts, runic hammers...).

Many think these traders might return some day... Or at least OSI will give us some other use for the small black rocks.

D

degraysden

Thank you for the FAQ...and because you were so succinct, I decided to try it. After a number of attempts it worked. I hear voices (which was what I was after--lol), and recently have started infecting things. I have a few questions...

Does it ever wear off? and if not, do you think there will ever be a cure?

It isn't that I don't enjoy being chased by blackrock infected goats or dragons, but that I worry about when I will infect something.

Are there areas that might be safe, where it is less likely that I will infect something, or areas where there is a greater likelihood?

And if I do infect something, am I the only one at risk of being attacked by the infected creature, or should anyone worry to be around me (lol)? Can a paragon become infected?

Also, can tame animals be infected?

thanks for all the info.

G

vas kal an mani in corp hur tym or Armageddon spell:

I say the words but nothing happens. Do I need to find an Armageddon scroll or what?

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you place it on the ground, or leave it in your backpack?

As I understand, it has to be on the ground near you.

G

So you need the black rock to cast the Armageddon spell?

Was hoping to cast it without blowing myself up

I

imported_Thom

I don't think that it will wear off my tamer has been infected for a long time now. I'm not sure if there are places where it is more or less likely to infect somthing though, haven't really paid much attention to it. I know you can infect the enslaved satyrs at Mel... took me a while to convince the group I was with to try again after that. Infected things will attack you first but will attack others if you get away or don't kill them. None of my pets have ever been infected so I don't think that tame animals can be.

R

Rustedblayds

I found one on the ground recently. I never put 2 and 2 together that having it in my backpack was causing thigns around me to get infected...birds, cats, ghouls, bulls.....what if I just leave it in the bank then? Will new Haven become infected :)

T

T_Amon_from_work

<laughs> Leaving it in the bank will not infect anything. I have a blast having cows and things go after my miner. Critters that normally would not drop gold do so when BR infected. Kinda different getting 20-30 gp from a cow for a change.

I have had enough infections occur around me when mining to feel pretty sure that tamed animals you own will not be infected. My miner has a fire beetle and a packy and neither have become BR infected even when he had 3 pieces on him.