Bigger Screen Size?

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
  • Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
C

Connor_Graham

I'm currently using a setup of screen resolution at 1024x768 and game play window size of 800x600. With this setup, my game window is this size:

While at a friends' house I'd noticed that their game window size was larger than mine, but at the time I couldn't remember what my settings were, and I didn't think at the time to write down what theirs was. I've tried playing around with it, but all I manage to do is make the game window larger than my computer screen, which of course isn't what I'm looking for. What would I need to set in options to obtain a larger game window?

R

Roddie Coghill

your game screen looks the same as mine. I have a 24" wide moniior and would like a bit larger game screen. I hope someone has the answer.

M

meridus

In KR the screen size can be set in the User Settings box. I don't know of a way in 2d. If there is a way, I never figured it out.

(Image shrunk by half to fit in the forum)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Is wanting a larger game window size a sign that you're getting old?

:p

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
I've finally reached the point in my life where my arms aren't long enough when I'm trying to read a book. I guess it's finally time for bifocals. :sad2:

C

Connor_Graham

Is wanting a larger game window size a sign that you're getting old?

:p

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)
No, more of an indication that I'm one step closer to connecting my computer to my 61" HD wide screen TV. :thumbup:

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Pacific
my screen res is 1440x900
the game window at 800x600 is tiny :(

i cant figure a way to make it bigger either.

in kr you can select flexable desktop and drag it to the max size, but not in 2d, it only goes to 800x600

btw, 800x600 on a 1440x900 desktop is a little bigger then a cd jewel case in the game window. :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Jul 16, 2003
Southeastern Kentucky
home.kih.net
aarons6: You might want to check your settings again - that, or you've got a REALLY small flatscreen.

I have a 1440 x 900 desktop on a 19" diagonal flatscreen (screen area about 16" x 10"), and use 800x600 game view in the 1024x768 screen setting, and the game view part of the window is a a hair under 9 x 7 inches. That's twice the area covered (though a different shape) than a CD case, which is 5.5 x 5 inches. Even a DVD case, turned on its side, is less than 7.5 x 5.5 inches (by comparison, my part of the window that is the game screen is over 1.5 inches bigger each way than the DVD case).

On 1440x900 actually set at 1440x900, and with the game view window set at 800x600 (using the 1024x768 setting), the game window should be 55+% of the screen width, and about 75-80% of the screen height (closer to 85%, taking into account the task bar and the bar on top of the screeen), with barely enough room below it for the full size stat bar (backpack can only fit underneath if you have the task bar hide, and that causes more trouble than it's worth).

At proper settings, the Skill scroll, paperdoll, large map and backpack will BARELY fit right of the game window, with some room for 3 columns of 3-5 spell icons, and maybe a row between the paperdoll bottom and skill scroll top.

if your game window is about 6 inches wide, as you seem to say, then you're either using a laptop, have your settings wrong, or are using the smallest desktop flatscreen monitor I've ever heard of.

L

Lord Kynd

what are your computers desktop settings ?

try adjusting your display then work with UO's display settings, might help ?
on my 22 inch game window nearly taks the screen the way i have it set.
on my projector tho at 80 inchs it's downright huge..

also .... to drag things from one side of the game window to the other.... so actually a smaller game window would be more to a advantage than a lager one. it might be the same window just streched out but it appears to take longer.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Pacific
aarons6: You might want to check your settings again - that, or you've got a REALLY small flatscreen.

I have a 1440 x 900 desktop on a 19" diagonal flatscreen (screen area about 16" x 10"), and use 800x600 game view in the 1024x768 screen setting, and the game view part of the window is a a hair under 9 x 7 inches. That's twice the area covered (though a different shape) than a CD case, which is 5.5 x 5 inches. Even a DVD case, turned on its side, is less than 7.5 x 5.5 inches (by comparison, my part of the window that is the game screen is over 1.5 inches bigger each way than the DVD case).

On 1440x900 actually set at 1440x900, and with the game view window set at 800x600 (using the 1024x768 setting), the game window should be 55+% of the screen width, and about 75-80% of the screen height (closer to 85%, taking into account the task bar and the bar on top of the screeen), with barely enough room below it for the full size stat bar (backpack can only fit underneath if you have the task bar hide, and that causes more trouble than it's worth).

At proper settings, the Skill scroll, paperdoll, large map and backpack will BARELY fit right of the game window, with some room for 3 columns of 3-5 spell icons, and maybe a row between the paperdoll bottom and skill scroll top.

if your game window is about 6 inches wide, as you seem to say, then you're either using a laptop, have your settings wrong, or are using the smallest desktop flatscreen monitor I've ever heard of.
its 19inch.
measuring it out your right. 800 is about 55% of 1440 it just looks so small compaired to the krs desktop.
specially since in kr you can zoom out and see about 300% more area around you.

C

Connor_Graham

what are your computers desktop settings ?

try adjusting your display then work with UO's display settings, might help ?
on my 22 inch game window nearly taks the screen the way i have it set.
on my projector tho at 80 inchs it's downright huge..

also .... to drag things from one side of the game window to the other.... so actually a smaller game window would be more to a advantage than a lager one. it might be the same window just streched out but it appears to take longer.
Which settings are you referring to? Screen Res is set at 1280x1024. My monitor is a 19" if that matters any.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Connor, under Display in the Control Panel (Windows), try experimenting with a lower setting than what you have been using.

L

Lord Kynd

right click desktop, pick bottom option.. properties...., then far right tab that says settings..
22 inch monitor ...1280by768 pixels
works well for me anyhow, game window is huge enough to see everything fairly easily.
but you also have to watch your video memory or you can get video lag ( so i was told anyhow) .
game settings are
full screen resolution 1024x768
game play window size 800x600
i can watch movies to the side and still play

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Jul 16, 2003
Southeastern Kentucky
home.kih.net
I just wish they'd add a 1440 x 900 sreen setting for 2D. Granted, it defaults well, blackspace-wise, with the largest current setting - but actually having it as an official setting would probably help the software a little - and they could then consider making a larger view-size for 2D's view of the game world.