• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Beware: probable "ot Shogun" Vendor-Seller SCAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hi all!

Please pay attention when you serial-buy "ot Shogun" items from Vendors on ATL: there is (at least one) Seller that "salt" his items for sale with "multiplied Price" ones: i.e., he sell otS Items for 1.4/1.5 mils each, inserting in the group some absolutely normal one priced at 14/15 and 140/150 mils.

ALWAYS check the price of EVERY "serially-bought" Item before confirming the Purchase!

Cheers
SR

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are buying in bulk, maybe best to tell them you want the item instead. And make sure the item does not have someone's character name on it. Those would be EJ account items that you can not equip.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If you are buying in bulk, maybe best to tell them you want the item instead. And make sure the item does not have someone's character name on it. Those would be EJ account items that you can not equip.
The problem I pointed is another one: the "equipability" of the Items is irrelevant.

As I wrote, some scammer put for sale on a Vendor many otShogun items (or other kind of multiple stuff, as Resources, etc.), "salting" the group with a couple of items with crazily inflated prices, so, if a Buyer buys the stuff in "auto-sequence" (to use those items to obtain Rewards) whitout checking the Price of any item before completing the Purchase, he is for some nasty "surprise"...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem I pointed is another one: as I wrote, some scammer put for sale on a Vendor many otShogun items (or other kind of multiple stuff, as Resources, etc.), "salting" the group with a couple of items with crazily inflated prices, so, if a Buyer buys the stuff in "auto-sequence" whitout checking the Price of any item before completing the Purchase, he is for some nasty "surprise"...
Ah, on a vendor. Our VS usually just has one at a time even if they have 50.

Ya I could see it even worse on a vendor. If they just pile everything in the same spot in a bag and a CC user looks at it, they would only see a few items.

So ya, use EC grid to check each item.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Ah, on a vendor. Our VS usually just has one at a time even if they have 50.

Ya I could see it even worse on a vendor. If they just pile everything in the same spot in a bag and a CC user looks at it, they would only see a few items.

So ya, use EC grid to check each item.
Exactly! :thumbup1:

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
ya there is one doing it on Atlantic and is doing it intentionally.
i bought some at the 1.4M price and noticed the ones priced 14M & 140M
came back later and there were more for 1.4 M
(the higher priced ones were still there, so they intentionally left them on it)

unfortunately I returned later in the night and one of the higher priced ones was gone, so i know someone fell for it.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
There is a bug that is doesn't show the comma seperations on the amount in the buy confirmation gump. Devs aware.

(Think a fix is available for EC but you gotta program it yourself)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a bug that is doesn't show the comma seperations on the amount in the buy confirmation gump. Devs aware.

(Think a fix is available for EC but you gotta program it yourself)

Not a bug as they did not have commas in the trade window until players complained.

It is just how the game was made. Prices were a lot smaller back then.

Ask for a QoL improvement.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
If they allow vendors to sell for 100000000+ then you can't say things were cheaper before. The standard in trade window is for commas so this should've automatically been added to other trade window.
I think also Auction safe suffers a similar issue but with auction safe you're already assuming the price is between 175000000 to 999000000

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they allow vendors to sell for 100000000+ then you can't say things were cheaper before. The standard in trade window is for commas so this should've automatically been added to other trade window.
I think also Auction safe suffers a similar issue but with auction safe you're already assuming the price is between 175000000 to 999000000
Exactly. Explain this as a QoL improvement and request commas to be added.

mihali

Sage
Hi all!

Please pay attention when you serial-buy "ot Shogun" items from Vendors on ATL: there is (at least one) Seller that "salt" his items for sale with "multiplied Price" ones: i.e., he sell otS Items for 1.4/1.5 mils each, inserting in the group some absolutely normal one priced at 14/15 and 140/150 mils.

ALWAYS check the price of EVERY "serially-bought" Item before confirming the Purchase!

Cheers
SR
These are openly dishonest and deceptive practices, and should be reported to the devs as such. The purpose of these practices are expressly to deceive and prey upon unsuspecting players. This type of thing should be discouraged and the devs should at least be able to WARN the sellers of these items, that they should stop that and if they continue to do that than they should be actioned upon.
This is another way or cheating and exploiting the game and all the players.
I think that listing an item at a ridiculous price is not cheating and if someone wants to buy that, that is on them.
However the practice described here has the express purpose to cheat using game mechanics and game visuals.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
There is another scam people can do but it only affects people who don’t use grid view in containers.
(edited the example)
EG place 1 x 10 charge forged metal of artifact for 70 mill
and directly ontop place one (or more) with 1 charge for 70 mill
Now when you perform the vendor search for forged metal artifact, and click open container containing item.

if you’re presented with what looks like only 1 forged metal of artifact
You would buy it, you wouldn’t necessarily single click on it again because
a) you know what it looks like
b) you saw the price and number of charges already in the vendor search. So you’ve already checked the price and number of charges

but most people use grid view (on both 2d and 3d) so would see multiple of them and would then be prompted to check which one they are buying

i have read the following on the topic (in Discord)
“People who don’t use grid view deserve to be scammed.”

Think that is a little harsh. Since I regularly shop with my crafter that uses the classic client that has no grid view - can craft in Classic client. So I’m sure there are others who still use non grid view for other reasons.

perhaps the game should default grid view on vendor bags

other people have suggested that if you could buy directly from VS this would stop many scams.

But I quite like visiting shops in person. Think I’m in the minority on that though.

I personally would not even notice if I lost 70mill or 175 mill but other people I can see being upset over it. And I have reimbursed someone who complained about being hit by this.

Last edited:

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So Look with vendor search for Scam items. Then Mark runes and Name them beware scammer vendor and drop them all over the Land. Everybody can verify it by a recall and know which house should be ignored in the future. Make yourself a map marker if possible. Dry this seller out of customer.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So Look with vendor search for Scam items. Then Mark runes and Name them beware scammer vendor and drop them all over the Land. Everybody can verify it by a recall and know which house should be ignored in the future. Make yourself a map marker if possible. Dry this seller out of customer.
That's a good thing to do. :):thumbup1:

Beware that there is not only one scammer that use this "salting" procedure: I just found another one, obviously again in ATL...:mad:

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Last edited:

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Some people use classic backpack on EC and so are vulnerable to that scam. So i am not suggesting that the issue is exclusive to one client.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I recently bought a powder of fort for 140mill. And there were several types of commodity items across many vendors at the same house priced to take advantage of people making a mistake.

I’m willing to bet this guy is the same vendor that got me.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Fair warning to tread lightly on any discussion of illegal 3rd party applications and any accusations related to such

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What people tend to forget is "SCAMMING" is legal as long as you do not use an exploit to do it. UO has always been a "Buyer Beware"
That's HIGHLY debatable: IMO this kind of scam falls totally under the "Disruptive Behavior" ToS breach.

And even if not, that's only one more reason to give it all the possibile and well deserved negative notoriety, so that Buyers can more easlily act with Due Diligence.

FishinFool

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
The real answer here is to slow down and pay attention to what you are buying. This has been going on since the first vendor was placed.

There used to be no number separators at all and it was much more common. The best thing to do is spread awareness when you see it and post vendor names and locations.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The real answer here is to slow down and pay attention to what you are buying. This has been going on since the first vendor was placed.

There used to be no number separators at all and it was much more common. The best thing to do is spread awareness when you see it and post vendor names and locations.
Posting Names in this context in a Public Forum is a thing that, IMO, is not correct to do, for obviuos Privacy issues.

The Names have to be Reported to BS.

FishinFool

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
Posting Names in this context in a Public Forum is a thing that, IMO, is not correct to do, for obviuos Privacy issues.

The Names have to be Reported to BS.
I didn't realize vendors had implied privacy rights.

There is nothing to report to broadsword, it's a game feature that's working as designed.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I didn't realize vendors had implied privacy rights.

There is nothing to report to broadsword, it's a game feature that's working as designed.
It's a joke? *PLAYERS* have the right to Privacy in a Public Forum, by ToS and by Law.

And if that SCAM is or isn't a violation of BS/UO ToS ("Abusive/Disruptive Behavior") It will be for BS to decide.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What I *really* start to find disturbing is that it seems that there are people around that APPROVE of, or at least consider game-wise "legit", this type of low-life level SCAM, a SCAM made by COWARDS that are unable to directly confront ingame their Victims (as in an "old school" direct Player-to-Player Con, or using their Toon Thieving Skills), but prefer to (at least) bend the game mechanics to mass-prey on the unsuspecting.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So you run around UO not paying attention and it's everyone else's fault but yours. The truth is that pretty much all negative PvP transactions (ie Stealing, PKing, Scamming, etc) require an element of the victim not paying attention to what is going on around them. I would say that if you are complacent enough to fall for such silly things as these "scams," you 100% deserve it. To be good is to be aware, if you are falling for things like this, you do not have the experience to be aware when necessary... dare I say... "get better at UO."

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So you run around UO not paying attention and it's everyone else's fault but yours. The truth is that pretty much all negative PvP transactions (ie Stealing, PKing, Scamming, etc) require an element of the victim not paying attention to what is going on around them. I would say that if you are complacent enough to fall for such silly things as these "scams," you 100% deserve it. To be good is to be aware, if you are falling for things like this, you do not have the experience to be aware when necessary... dare I say... "get better at UO."
Careful Pete he'll report and block you if you hurt his feelings

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
this falls into the same category as someone who has a fel vendor and hides a theif to immediately steal back high priced items that are purchased. or someone who has takes advantage of auction safes so winning bids cannot be claimed

the game mechanics allow you to do it, but you're a jerk for doing it

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
this falls into the same category as someone who has a fel vendor and hides a theif to immediately steal back high priced items that are purchased. or someone who has takes advantage of auction safes so winning bids cannot be claimed

the game mechanics allow you to do it, but you're a jerk for doing it
Not exactly, IMO: at least in the case of the Hidden Thief the PsychoKiller has the guts to interact directly with the specific Victim (that can react, if he has he Skills), wheras in the "salting" SCAM the COWARD SCAMMER "fires in the Mob" without risking anything.

In Italy we have an idiom (that originally cames from the Roman dialect, but that nowdays is used nationwide): "'ndo cojo, cojo!", i.e., "Where the strike lands, it lands, and I don't care who I strike as long as I have my gain!"... :p

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This thread has been in the report queue half a dozen times now and doesn't seem to be tracking on course to anything constructive. I think we're done here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.