• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best way to gain wealth?

• Thread starter imported_BoneDaddy
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_BoneDaddy

I've been playing UO since pretty much the beginning....

I've never really had an interest in having a ton of gold and such... But...

Recently I've become bored with being poor.
So... I've decided to go out and strike it rich.

Yet... Im not sure how.

It seems weird...
Ive been playing for years and years and never really cared much about gold...

So in all honesty...
Im not even sure how one would go out and earn a million in a day.

So yeah...

What is the easiest way for you to make gold that isnt "go kill swoops" or "go camp IDOCS"...

Just curious to see what everyones "fall back career" in UO is...

G

sorry but the quickest/ easy way to make gold quick as got to be idocing - both placing/selling big max plots and looting and running shop with the loot...its a gold factory...

I

imported_BoneDaddy

Oh Ive done that in the past.

Not for the money but more for the neat pixel crack.

The problem I have with doing IDOCS is that there are so many people cheating with them. I walk around and find some. I camp them out... I get ready to place a tower or whatever... And before I see the old building collapse, there is a new building there and someone is grabbing everything.

Not to mention they use some programs to find the IDOCS...

Years ago I was able to solo IDOCs in Fel as nobody knew or cared. It was fun. There was excitement knowing that there is a ton of stuff waiting to be taken and at any moment someone could come and kill you for it.

But not anymore. Now every IDOC I find is camped by a ton of scripters.

G

What Shard are you on so that I do not X-Shard to that one? I am on GL and I do Fel IDOCs exclusively because of less competition. although I can tell the difference now that school is out, can't wait for the kiddies to go back. It just takes time to do the searching and then the patience is the key part. Generally what I have found if you are not alone at a Fel IDOC, if you only see blues you are OK. Reason being is most of us IDOCers ar greedy and we do not share our locations. If you call in your guildies you have to pay them! I still share my loot with my guildies and friends after an especially lucrative one, and I have put quite a few of my Red guildies in large houses. Keep low and keep your eyes open!

S

Soam414

idoc's are easily the best way, but you usually need a guild to do the fel ones, because they are on average camped by a couple pvp guilds, at least on my shard.
on a good idoc you can pull 100mil+ worth of stuff, for only a very brief period of work.
I personally don't do Idoc's cause I don't have any luck when searching for them, but i've done a couple and seen the kind of loot people get there-it's amazing.
other than idocs, doing champ spawns is the 2nd best way to make money. again, you usually need a guild because of all the raiding.
if you need something safe to do by yourself or in a tram environment-doing peerless or farming high end monsters are good alternatives

Ryna

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try begging.

If you're good at entertaining, you can get a goodly sum fairly constantly.

G

Buying/Selling is also a great way....especially craftable items such as pvp weapons, high end armor, and craftable artys such as pendant of the magi or ecrus. Obviously this requires money to get started, but in reality you dont need that much in the begining. You get free items from EA every year, such as soul stone fragments, you sell those and then invest some of the money into something else, and then sell that for profit, and just keep doing that. If you work the bank well, and learn prices you can easily turn a frag token into 20m in a few weeks.

A few important things to remember......
-Always buy cheap, and sell cheap....large profit margins are nice, but are often harder to obtain.....plus waiting for something to sell means your money is locked up in that item.
-Don't hesitate to offer people less than what they're asking for....often times people who are spamming at the bank just need to sell the item, and will be willing to sell for anywhere from 500k-1m less sometimes more.

G

There's a few ways, I would try to find one that suits your playstyle and interests. Like, I could never be a trader, because I hate buying and selling. IDOCs I really like, they are fun and I know a lot about them by now so it gives me an edge in a lot of situations.

I think if someone wants to camp houses, but has a lot of competition on their shard then they should try to find another shard to camp on. It sounds weird, but you can make so much money doing idocs you can pack a bank up on another shard and xfer the stuff over and not even mind the xfer fee. Scouting is the big downside to camping. The more you scout, the more houses you find, however there is a finite amount of houses you can camp unless you enlist the aid of a family member or two (well it's still finite, but you can camp more of em).

If you scout a lot then you can choose to camp only the best looking ones. If you scout fel where there is less competition, you are much less likely to know which is a good house (they're mostly private in fel, except, oddly enough, on europa where they are mostly public it seems heh). If you scout tons and tons and decide to camp only the very best houses, then you'll end up running into house scripters who will most likely frustrate you.

So gotta find a nice balance, if you go the idoc route. My personal preference is one facet, fel, and I like it when I find large towers or large custom homes, but I will do em all. Keeps and castles I don't like so much, since I am greedy and prefer no competition but its almost impossible to not have competition at the biggest homes.

G

Well,
I suggest creating a viable characture on origin.
They get the first publish.

What is that important?

I got lucky with a publish and got some odd items to sell.

Then the traders with Black Rock.
I got 2 valorite hammers
A bunch of arties.

I sold the stuff and got quite a bit of gold.

In case you didnt know the rate of high end items for turn in on Origin was really high. So I got a lot of stuff. They made it harder to get high end items when they went to the rest of the shards.

And collect the new stuff and sell it fast

I sold millions in blackrock on atlantic when the traders were around.
Books of truth. The same.

Go after what is new. Sell it.
Im not really attached to anything. I just get it and sell it.

A

amberiel

i been playing uo for 51 months now and the most gold i ever had at once is 326 mil. the easiest ways to make money would be buying low/selling higher, idocing if u have a guild, and doom. anybody can get lucky and spend 5 mil on a peice of armor or weapon and then resell for 20. as far as idocing u can hit a big and make 100mil at once but it might take u 300 idocs before that happpened. and doom is all luck. get a good char in ther and spend 1-2 hours a day. takes a while to get some but u get aof,orny, totem, hom and its well worth the little time u spend ther. i personaly have the best luck with buying/selling. get a good luna vendor and ur golden. ther is one last way that just remembered and that would be bods. tailor or smith both are gold mines if u can stand ther doing 1k of them at a time. just remember not to marco them. alot of peeps page.

G

The problem with your idea is that its based on waiting for that something new.

As to idocs I see the problem as the competition to obtain the items and place the houses. On more active shards as someone pointed out there can be quite a bit of competition to place. The suggestion was also made to go to a smaller shard, but in my experience the smaller the shard the fewer items of value you find, the less overall gold there is, and the lower the prices are in the housing market.

As to Origin, I have nothing against the shard, except for my ping, which sucks there.....and could possibly for you as well....so you'ld wind up taking 10 mins to walk 10 paces

Now obviously you have competition as a merchant, often alot of it, but you can be proactive about it, you have ways to make people want to buy from you. The ability to control your prices, the location you chose to place your vendors, what items you stock, the ability to gate and rune drop, and of course a catchy name that people can remember....think acronyms!

G

<blockquote><hr>

In all my years of UO I have found buying low/ selling high is the best way for me to make my millions. I also have been known to camp an idoc here or there if I can find them which isn't my specialty, but buying/selling aka merchanting can be very fun especially if your good at it! Haggling down other merchants. Swindling every gold coin you can out of a buyer.

Basically, Merchanting with a dash of IDOCing is my personal method of success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Merchanting with buy low resells, 1/2 cup new items, 1/4 cup origin, 1/4 cup swoops etc and a dash of IDOCing works for me.

I buy anything I can resell for a 20% profit or more.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The problem with your idea is that its based on waiting for that something new.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said above selling new items means waiting for them to be released. Capitalizing on new items is an excellent way to make money. Of course new items aren't released every week so you have to wait for UO to get off its fat ass and make something, which these days is happening less and less. Plus you run the risk of losing profit if you can't sell the items fast enough before the market for them crashes....

G

seems idocing wins the vote..shame the scripters normally win the day!

please devs stop the scripting programs used by the cheaters...even if it means banning all and every 3 party program....

G

I've done a few IDOCs in my time, but they invariably frustrate me. This due to others grabbing the plot and items, or cherry-picking loot faster than I could ever hope for. I always seem to get the Demolition Pending ones too, and they always fall a minute before I remember to go check them (very random).

Lastly, where to store all of the 'junk' to sift through and see if there is anything nice in there. I've had to open new accounts and place a plot, or try to go through the chests in my house not locked down, and all the stuff always rots before I look through it very much. Either method is just not working cleanly for me.

I'm sure someone who is faster and less anal than me would do better at this.

For me at least, any of the other methods of earning a living are far more enjoyable. If I earn a bit less, oh well, it's a game, it should be enjoyable.

I continue to actively avoid looking at house signs to avoid temptation.

I

imported_BoneDaddy

Thanks for everyones input!

I was surprised to see how much people contributed.

Here are some quick points-

-Im on Napa. I used to IDOC years ago and there was a time when it felt like I was the only one. Id do three or four without seeing a person. Now.. There are a ton of scripts. I spoke with someone who does it for a guild. This guild has players for Fel and Tram that do them for the guild. And yeah.. They use programs to locate the IDOC and place when the IDOC falls. It completely sucks.

So.. Im pretty much ruling out IDOCS on my home shard. I dont know if I want to leave Napa. I sorta like it there.. Plus Im still not in favor of the whole transferring items &amp; characters from shard to shard idea. Never did like that.

-I understand completely the value of buying low and selling high. Trust me. I do that plenty in real life. My point is more "how do you get the wealth" and not "how do you use the wealth to create more weath".

What can I go out and do to get me 1M this weekend. What do I kill(non swoops related)? What do I create? Who do I talk to?

-I love the begging idea. It might suit me the best as I like to play off the wall templates. How does a Chef/Fisher/Archer/Anatomy/Tactics/Chivalry/Healing template sound? Yeah... It doesnt work on PVP... It hardly works on PVM... But it beats the crap out of anything on the funmeter. So perhaps I will take up begging again and go to the streets to see if the fair people of Napa have it in their hearts to loan me some gold...

The reason I ask... Is mainly because of my desire to do something different. Ive been content with my petty existance on UO. But now.. I sorta want to build something large. And... well.. I need a large amount of gold to do that.

I want to create a museum. I know everyone has one etc.. But.. I am overly anal about how I catagorize and display things. So much so that I log down every item given to me in case they want it returned... Even so much as to inventory every item picked up from an IDOC along with who the owner was, etc...

Id love to create a multi building museum complex where I could get donations from across the shards. Sort of a "History of UO - All shards" type place..

Blah.

I babble.

For now I am broke and need to start building wealth.

Anyone got a spare piece of silver?

G

IDOCs are one of the best ways to gain wealth. It does not matter what the shard or facet. One time, a guildmaster was at a Felucca small all by herself. When it collapsed, she looted 120 million in checks and about another 100 million in items. It was most likely a banned player's house.

Competition depends from shard to shard, but generally people won't bother with the small houses in out of the way areas.

I

imported_BoneDaddy

Yeah... I cant pvm or pvp...

SO i guess its back to the IDOC drawing board.

Although, to be honest.. If I found one with 120M in checks...

I dunno.. Id have a hard time not putting them in a trash barrel.

Who has 120M in checks and just quits?

eh

Anyhow, thanks for the input!

G

I found a house with 80mil in checks and another with 65 (awesome week of idocing) Both were in fully deco'd up legit looking houses.

G

I found a house with near 100 mill in checks, regular decod up house with nice stuff. A keep with 53 mill in checks, was private and lotta people there, r****n placed, I wasn't even going to bother, so dunno about what else it had in there.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Although, to be honest.. If I found one with 120M in checks...

I dunno.. Id have a hard time not putting them in a trash barrel.

Who has 120M in checks and just quits?

eh

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of people store gold on vendors now. If my tower were to fall down, you would find hundreds of millions all scattered around. Just because someone has a lot of gold does not mean they duped it. And people quit the game all the time without getting rid of their stuff.

I

imported_BoneDaddy

Man.. I guess I just cant see someone up and quitting with that much gold.

Then again... I remember when 100k was a ton to pay for a vanq weapon.

I dunno...
I guess if I found that much gold I would probably try to use it for something good... Maybe buy some items for sale on Napa that were in danger of being xsharded off of Napa...

G

i know that when i quit i usually leave all my stuff in a friends house. Last time i quit my chests had something like: two ornys. two homs. jackals collar. divine count. helm of insight. high end weps/armour/jewellery. crimson. a few 120 scrolls and about 60 mil in cash, along with lots of vet rewards.

i guess something like that can be an idoc hunters dream.

idoc hunting has been very good to me and my friends. we've made a fortune doing it. it doesn't have to be a solo past time, if you have some trustworthy friends. sometimes you find chests full of tokuno stuff which is quite nice, scrolls, have had some lucrative small houses with millions of ore/gems (thank you script miners!). bods, rares, artis...

you can't always be sure that an idoc will be good. sometimes we've camped some for ages and had a really rubish return on it, but on the other hand, we've camped some and expected little and got loads out of it.

another vote for idocs!

I

imported_BoneDaddy

Trust me, Ive done IDOCS many many many times in the past.

There is just something wrong about spending hours and hours and hours looking for something that is found with a program by a group of others...

Then getting up early to sit and wait and watch and do nothing while the house collapses...

And then after all that... To have a scripter autoplace a house and have all the stuff locked on a dirt lot within minutes...

Well.. its just frustrating.

Im more looking for a way to earn my wealth by actually doing something productive.

G

do idocs in fel and kill people who come!

but if you dont want to go the idoc route, then just trading is probably the best route. to start off try to get a grip of what the prices are like. check vendors, auctions, people spamming at the bank. get in your mind what is the range for item x. For example, lets say it is 6-8 mil. Now if you see someone selling it for 5 mil, you could buy and make a mil-3 mil profit.

it's that simple.

G

My best was a fel keep that i found out in the middle of nowhere while idocing around with a mate. We found it at around 12am (my time) and it fell around 1am. It contained 7 Server Births, 20 random df arties full sets of Tokuno majors and minors and even more around the place.

Oh yes idocs are the way to go.

red72

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ive never had any luck idocing if i find 1 in tram its almost always crappy or osi owned if i find 1 in fel i die right b4 it falls lol i made some money when i won a player ran event on GL and ive been able to buy sell from then on

Treyster18

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IDOC's are def by far one of the best ways to make money...but IMO definately not THE best way.....scripters have basicly ruined that part for everyone=/

buying low/ selling high is probably THE best way to make money....me personaly i deal with Rares and Event Items and make a fairly good amount of money....back when gold droped to .50 per mil i sold out...everything just an empty luna gate house....and in 6 months i had a billion again.....its just too easy to make money in this game IMO.....rares and events are extremely risky, yes, but its still extremely efficient its like the black widow spider for example, was an ATL event about 20 droped ive picked up around 6 for 20-75m ea and sold all of them except 1 (which im keeping) for 125-200m ea, and i can do stuff like that all day long, now if you have 0 gold and ur wanting to start out jus buy smaller stuff for cheap and sell for higher untill you have enough to buy a true rare or event item for cheap (or just buying something cheap for RL$ cash selling it for double then sell half the gold to get ur money back and keeping half the gold and doing it over again)

the toughest part about this buisness is learning the prices, knowing the market, knowing what ppl are wanting right now, knowing the price of gold, KNOWING PRICES is the most important part, knowing how much you can resell something for. me personaly, i never buy anything unless i know i can make dbl profit (or close to it) (or unless im planing on keeping it)...but then again thats dbl profit on high end items like a 25m item i wont buy unless i can make 40-50m off it, a 2m item i wont buy unless i can make atleast 3m off it

hope this helps you out, if you need to know ne thing else or need help doing anything just Q me, my icq # is in profile or you can PM me

G

Fully agree with you Treyster, IDOC's are hit and miss and for me they arn't very entertaining. Buying and selling on the other hand requires much more skill, cunningness, and sometimes charm
. Have to be able to read people to figure out that secret number they have in there head to spend the minimum when buying and get the maximum when reselling.

I

imported_BoneDaddy

Heh.. You realize you guys are just repeating the same thing over and over again?

How about this...

Excluding IDOCs and "buying low and selling high" whats the best way to create wealth?

IDOCs dont work on my shard as a result of scripting.

"buying low and selling high" works only after you have an established bankroll.

The point, I guess, was more or less... Without trading, IDOCs or Swoops...

How do you gain wealth?

I guess I am just looking for something more.... fun?

Not possible?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Heh.. You realize you guys are just repeating the same thing over and over again?

How about this...

Excluding IDOCs and "buying low and selling high" whats the best way to create wealth?

IDOCs dont work on my shard as a result of scripting.

"buying low and selling high" works only after you have an established bankroll.

The point, I guess, was more or less... Without trading, IDOCs or Swoops...

How do you gain wealth?

I guess I am just looking for something more.... fun?

Not possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense but you just axed the only 3 ways to make money

IDOC: find fallen loot
Buying and Selling: Vendors
Swoops: Killing monsters

What other way is there?

Get a part time job and use the RL money to buy gold.
Find a way to dupe.

Now everything is covered.

Become friends with players and get stuff for free/beg. I think that was covered.

Im not sure what else you looking for?

I

imported_gwen_alcestis

One thing's for sure: you're not gonna wake up rich just because you asked how to become it on the boards.

Whichever method you choose, you'll have to work for it.
There are no secret or magic roads to becoming a billionaire.

So... go DO something i'd say.

G

just remembered one way i made a lot of gold was playing high/low at the bank/casino's. make sure the guy will pay up though!

G

I guess you could become a doom/dojo thief. Not really a great way to amass tons of wealth, unless you get lucky and hit the inquis and ruined painting every 1/3 months. Inquis you'll need 5 accounts and a way to legally run em all, or you'll need some friends who will probably want to roll for them afterwards anyways.

You can also do well on the flowers, I think those are a level 7 um...*does some math* every four days spawn? Those go for around a mill, maybe a lil less. The little dolphin stats I see for 400-500 apiece, sword displays a mill or two for the red, less for the black, yadda. I never really got into it, tho I've run through a few times to see if I could get lucky (usually late at night or early in the morn).

If you're going to get into it you'll need the 120 thief with hiding and probably ninjitsu so you can zip through in llama form and hide/stealth when you need to. You may want to build a second thief, if you can, to park them inside the gauntlet so you can check on the ruined painting status. You'll also want to make a spreadsheet of spawn times and keep a close eye on any patches/publishes/downtime that the shard has. I imagine it's pretty repetitive, having to run through every half hour or whatever. Probably not as boring as doing the library or elven quests tho.

G

Flowers sell from around 1.5-3m....

so once every 4 days

roughly 7 times per month

at 2.5m as an average

17.5m per month.

G

Not too shabby, not like doing idocs or trading but hey. Me, when I play UO a lot I always do lots of different things, and money just accumulates and I stay interested. Idocs, fishing, library turn ins, resource gathering, BODs, house customizing and deco, etc. Get bored of doing one thing and move on to the next.

I

imported_BoneDaddy

<blockquote><hr>

No offense but you just axed the only 3 ways to make money

IDOC: find fallen loot
Buying and Selling: Vendors
Swoops: Killing monsters

What other way is there?

Get a part time job and use the RL money to buy gold.
Find a way to dupe.

Now everything is covered.

Become friends with players and get stuff for free/beg. I think that was covered.

Im not sure what else you looking for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the only three ways to make gold on UO? Come on... Surely you did something before IDOCs and Swoops. What did everyone do when they shut off the IDOCs? Prior to the great house falling event? No IDOCs or Swoops then.

Anyhow..

I was asking just in case someone had a creative way to make some gold. Something out of the routine... IDOCs are scripted on my shard. You cant buy low and sell high without wealth. And killing Swoops is just plain boring.

<blockquote><hr>

One thing's for sure: you're not gonna wake up rich just because you asked how to become it on the boards.

Whichever method you choose, you'll have to work for it.
There are no secret or magic roads to becoming a billionaire.

So... go DO something i'd say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall ever wanting to wake up rich tomorrow.

I don't recall ever saying that I wasn't going to work for it...

I don't even remember saying that there was a magic road to richness.

The reason for me asking is that I am going to start actually working on acquiring wealth. And as such, if someone had an idea that would be "fun" then I thought I would rather take the "fun" route as opposed to the "wait for 8 hours by a decaying house just to watch it get auto-looted" route.

That's all.

And thanks Sarsmi.

You always give me good advice. Perhaps Ill work on a thief again... Who knows maybe sometime in the future UO allows thiefs to prosper again....

heh

G

I'm getting a lil bored with hunting and wanted to try something different and thought i'd try IDOCs.

But how easy are they to get into?

Can a solo player do ok or do you need a partner or group?

Whats the IDOC scene like on europa? Any groups wanting new members?

I did one or two when they turned on decay (was that after AoS?), but I wasn't great, I don't know the timers so sat most of the day camping, then the containers I grabbed usually only had things like runebooks .. although I nabbed a green glass once
But I haven't done it for a long time.

G

Solo is fine, its how I ususally camp. Europa was fun but a lil crowded when I did it a few months ago. I had a good time tho, and at the end I was just doing fel falls. Sometimes I'd get one or two by myself, but there was usually at least one other stealther, sometimes reds. Theres a pretty good faq on the europa boards and also some info on the homes and castles forum, it's really easy to nail the time down nowadays, so it's not the hours and hours of sitting around that it used to be (well not usually). =)

G

cant speak for tram side, but theres a few groups who do them in fel.

great if you enjoy fighting

G

Well I just solo'd one in Fel on Napa, just south of the Yew gate, and I pulled at least 5 mill from it. A whole chest of Power Scrolls I need to sort a Deed for a Guildstone, Flaming Head deed, full set of Dye Tubs, several pieces of Blessed Clothing including a Doiuble Blessed Deer Mask. Any idea on what that would go for? Oh, while I am typing here I am waiting for another one to fall.

G

double blessed stuff goes for a bit. i dunno about deer mask specifically...

G

Thanks for the info Sarsmi, i'll check em out

I think i'll stay in tram, never pvp'd, would probably lose more then i'd make

*Makes a character on Napa to keep Teufel company*
I'll meet you at Yew gate, save some loot for me!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Odin believe me my IDOCers will die quickly if I run into any Reds, the plan is not to run into them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks for the info Sarsmi, i'll check em out

*Makes a character on Napa to keep Teufel company*
I'll meet you at Yew gate, save some loot for me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Pffbt, if you have a stealther you don't need to pvp, you just need to avoid pvping.