• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Best Template with the changes to Treasure Hunting ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What will be the most effective template for Treasure Hunting considering the changes to this activity ?

It seems that Mining will need to be on the template and, possibly, also cartography.

So, with some 300 points taken away by Mining, Cartography and Lockpicking what would be best to have with the remaining 420 points ?

Bottom line is, any good ideas on most effective Templates with the upcoming changes ?

S

Smug

The best? I have no idea. I just came back and I'm still getting used to everything that's happened in the last couple years. My current template is working okay. I remember before I left UO I was able to solo L6s pretty easily but it seems like they have changed something because I cannot deal with the ancient wyrms by myself anymore. My current template is:

Magery 110
Eval 90 (105 w/jewl)
Med 80 (got good MR/LMC on suit to help)
LP 100
Cart 100
Music 120
Peace 120

Use offensive spells to speed things up. With the changes I might trade some med and eval for mining if it turns out to be helpful enough. Don't have a soulstone so I can't decode maps and then stone cart

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What will be the most effective template for Treasure Hunting considering the changes to this activity ?

It seems that Mining will need to be on the template and, possibly, also cartography.

So, with some 300 points taken away by Mining, Cartography and Lockpicking what would be best to have with the remaining 420 points ?

Bottom line is, any good ideas on most effective Templates with the upcoming changes ?
I plan on Keeping my T-hunter a Tamer. I also think I will go with less than GM mining (if I find I even need it), because more mining only increased the radius you dig for the map in. So, as long as I am within 3 or 4 tiles, about 60 mining should do it.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My current treasure hunter is a tamer, but I have been testing the treasure hunting changes on Test Center with a mystic: 120 mysticism,120 focus (with crystalline ring), 120 magery (with crystalline ring), 100 cartography, 100 lockpicking, 100 mining and the rest in meditation.

The bad news is that I think I need mining. I cannot find the spots without it. However your mileage may vary. Finding treasure map spots was always hard for me. The good news is that this template rocks. Rising colossus is a very powerful summons that can take on the guardians. It does very well against a lot of the spawn, but I find the hiryu is the toughest.

I think tamers will still do very well, but it will be important to not get too many monsters on your pet at once. Treasure chests used to spawn only 4 guardians but now I think they spawn at least 6. Also, some of the areas are a lot more dangerous. Trammel has relatively easy overland spawn, but the other areas are not so easy.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My current treasure hunter is a tamer, but I have been testing the treasure hunting changes on Test Center with a mystic: 120 mysticism,120 focus (with crystalline ring), 120 magery (with crystalline ring), 100 cartography, 100 lockpicking, 100 mining and the rest in meditation.

What do you need 120 Magery for if you have no Eval Int ?

Damage needs EI that I know of.......

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can cast level 8 spells at 100% success. Magery is not only used for direct damage. You could change the template to suit your needs or go on test center to come up with a template that's good for you.

T

Tukaram

I've never understood the need for mining on a t-hunter. I'm not digging up ore. Cartography should be needed to read and follow the map. Mining just doesn't seem to apply.

B

Ben Sherman

On test I have been running with

100 Cart
100 LP
100 Mining
110 Myst
110 Focus
90 Mage
90 Med

using items to bump mage & med to GM and myst/focus to 120

Gantry

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried a similar template on test last night but seemed to not get any help from mining closing in on the 'X'. It took several tries each time to get the right spot to dig up the chest it seems. Do you notice help from mining skill? Thanks

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried a similar template on test last night but seemed to not get any help from mining closing in on the 'X'. It took several tries each time to get the right spot to dig up the chest it seems. Do you notice help from mining skill? Thanks
It's difficult for me, even with mining. Without mining I could not find any spots. :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not gonna worry about template changes until this goes live - as it is, there are so many map placement bugs (under houses, in the sea, etc.), that there's a good chance that either its release will be delayed for weeks, or they'll backtrack and just keep the Tram/Fel spots (and maybe place similar fixed spots in the other facets).

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On test I have been running with

100 Cart
100 LP
100 Mining
110 Myst
110 Focus
90 Mage
90 Med

using items to bump mage & med to GM and myst/focus to 120
Are you able to kill the guardians with just the colussus then? I'm thinking of changing up my template to include myst and focus....

right now I have mage/bard and TH skills (some on stones) and just trying to figure out teh best way to handle things. I had stopped doing maps for a long time because the loot was so awful.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I put 100 mining on my mage TH. I am hating this hunt and peck. Due to the scale of the Tmap, I find it very hard to locate the chest. It is the point of the pin correct?

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I put 100 mining on my mage TH. I am hating this hunt and peck. Due to the scale of the Tmap, I find it very hard to locate the chest. It is the point of the pin correct?

O

Old Man of UO

The EC client has a macro "Target By Resource" for mining and lumberjacking. With this macro, I can use a shovel and walk along a mountain edge until I find the ore I am looking for... same for lumber types.

Will this work for the T-Maps?

B

Ben Sherman

Are you able to kill the guardians with just the colussus then? I'm thinking of changing up my template to include myst and focus....

right now I have mage/bard and TH skills (some on stones) and just trying to figure out teh best way to handle things. I had stopped doing maps for a long time because the loot was so awful.

Between Colossus and spamming the few damage spells you get in myst, I have been able to down everything its thrown at me yes... It does take a while tho. (Note:Went this route as its likely the template I will use on live, will move cart and LP from my bard to my mystic... being a garg means you can stll run like hell if it goes arse up :D )

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not gonna worry about template changes until this goes live - as it is, there are so many map placement bugs (under houses, in the sea, etc.), that there's a good chance that either its release will be delayed for weeks, or they'll backtrack and just keep the Tram/Fel spots (and maybe place similar fixed spots in the other facets).
Have you noticed less map placement bugs since the TC chance?

Really curious about this one as I'm about to throw my TMap runebooks out!

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm considering going with a modified Basara melee template, as it is more suitable for my playing style (not much of a finger wiggler!). I would like some feedback from anyone who cares to chime in.

Here's what I'm thinking. I'm considering taking Bushido instead of Parry. While having a shield is nice, it seems to me like charging in and honoring the target then lightning striking them with a hit and run tactic (assuming they're large and fierce monsters) would be nice as well. I do, however, have high DCI (hopefully capped and higher for Divine Fury) and am hoping that will negate the need for parry.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Hendric

O

Old Man of UO

Have you noticed less map placement bugs since the TC chance?

Really curious about this one as I'm about to throw my TMap runebooks out!
You might want to start new runebooks that will at least get you close. Some of those islands take a while to get to by boat if you don't already have a rune there.