• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best Pet to Duo w/ a Sampire?

Fenbay

Adventurer
Got my Disco bard/tamer completely built and outfitted - what pet should I train up to duo with my sampire? Guess I'd be looking for damage output and ease of use if running the bard/tamer and sampire at the same time.

Should note this will be the first pet I've "trained" but with all the great info here I'm hoping not to mess it up too badly.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Got my Disco bard/tamer completely built and outfitted - what pet should I train up to duo with my sampire? Guess I'd be looking for damage output and ease of use if running the bard/tamer and sampire at the same time.

Thanks!
Cu sidhe great all around pet. They have healing so you don't need to pay as much attention to them. Chiv/AI cu does great damage as well. Also they're rideable! I'd use several cus, a pp mare, and a bane and just choose the best damage type for what you're fighting.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Just my .02 but if you are doing Spawns don't put Chiv on the Cu.

Unless they have fixed the EoO deal. Cu's love to cast that on side 3 and 4.. then death fairly quick. I prefer the AI/AP Naja over the Cu anyway.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Unless they have fixed the EoO deal. Cu's love to cast that on side 3 and 4.. then death fairly quick. I prefer the AI/AP Naja over the Cu anyway.
I do maybe 10-15 spawns a week with my cu. I haven't had one die in months. In fact I rarely even have to heal it except on boss (I barely use consume as well). Never had a problem with chiv. Maybe on really hard spawns?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I do maybe 10-15 spawns a week with my cu. I haven't had one die in months. In fact I rarely even have to heal it except on boss (I barely use consume as well). Never had a problem with chiv. Maybe on really hard spawns?
You using just one Char? Or trying to multi-client along with a Sampire?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Just one char, necro mage tamer.
Yeah single play they can hold up rather easy most of the time. But can get into trouble quick if you are dual clienting and focusing more on playing Sampire than the pet. Dropping the Chiv avoids that. Still get the benefit of high output via the AI, but don't have the negative of the EoO.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah single play they can hold up rather easy most of the time. But can get into trouble quick if you are dual clienting and focusing more on playing Sampire than the pet. Dropping the Chiv avoids that. Still get the benefit of high output via the AI, but don't have the negative of the EoO.
Ahhhh got it, never tried 2 clients. I lag on one haha

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

They turn EoO on and off so often it does not matter.

Any pet will die in a crowd of hard hitters not from EoO but from the pet constantly changing targets and not killing them one at a time.

The pet will be about to attack something and another Mob will hit the pet and make the pet change targets before it attacks. And this will go on and on. You can watch a pet stand there and spin around until it dies. This is not from EoO. That is a myth made from players who do not use pets daily.

The pet AI is the issue. Not Chivalry.

Do not let the pet get surrounded with no exit. When mine does I walk up, mount the pet and walk a few spaces away and then it will kill them all one at a time.

Pets with any AoE aka area damage will cause itself to constantly change targets and aggro new mobs.

Use a pet smartly. Know how the pet AI works. Me using my toon smartly is another thread...

Side note. In Khaldun there would often be 3 of those red archers that would stand in a triangle pattern on the screen. I tell my pet to attack one and before it got there, another archer would hit it. The pet would go to the other archer. before it got there, the other archer would hit it and the pet would go to it. And this could repeat forever because the pet would change targets and never kill one. If I knew how to make videos I would have, and shown to Kyronix. The pet AI is the issue. Not Chivalry.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As for duo with a Sampire. Someday I am going to build my Vollum with battle defense that just needs 20 skill so my human melee toon can use it. Would go great if a tamer were helping in case it needs res.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I fully agree the pet AI is the problem.. the EoO just adds to that problem. Side 3 and 4 the pet is usually out of mana so they can not cast it on and off too quickly, which is why I wish they would give you some sort of control over when the pet does and does not cast that particular spell.

Also, the EoO deal is not a myth created by people who do not play pets on a daily basis. My tamer is about the only char I play and have watched the increased damage Dragons do to the Cu just utterly destroy it while running a Rikki because the Cu has used EoO on the stupid Zealot it has targeted from 2 screens away or some other trivial beast while being surrounded by Dragons. Sure, the 5-6 Dragons may indeed take the Cu out even without the EoO deal.. but that dang "double damage" increase from each one makes it a hell of a lot quicker.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They turn EoO on and off so often it does not matter.

Any pet will die in a crowd of hard hitters not from EoO but from the pet constantly changing targets and not killing them one at a time.

The pet will be about to attack something and another Mob will hit the pet and make the pet change targets before it attacks. And this will go on and on. You can watch a pet stand there and spin around until it dies. This is not from EoO. That is a myth made from players who do not use pets daily.

The pet AI is the issue. Not Chivalry.

Do not let the pet get surrounded with no exit. When mine does I walk up, mount the pet and walk a few spaces away and then it will kill them all one at a time.

Pets with any AoE aka area damage will cause itself to constantly change targets and aggro new mobs.

Use a pet smartly. Know how the pet AI works. Me using my toon smartly is another thread...

Side note. In Khaldun there would often be 3 of those red archers that would stand in a triangle pattern on the screen. I tell my pet to attack one and before it got there, another archer would hit it. The pet would go to the other archer. before it got there, the other archer would hit it and the pet would go to it. And this could repeat forever because the pet would change targets and never kill one. If I knew how to make videos I would have, and shown to Kyronix. The pet AI is the issue. Not Chivalry.
Ya I was just talking to someone few days ago about which pet is the the most stupid. I said cu sidhes because I've seen them just stare at walls while it's supposed to be fighting. Reminds me of a dog I had irl that would just sit and stare at the wall for hours. But yes, the AI needs work haha

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Should note this will be the first pet I've "trained" but with all the great info here I'm hoping not to mess it up too badly.
Should pick a pet that does damage that matches the lowest resist of the boss. Unless you are doing Bedlam, then good luck.

Since you are a disco/necro. You may be changing the targets resist so it may be better to use a pet that matches your changes or a pet that can live on its own because you are lowering the resists so much that the pet damage type matters less.

Someone mentioned a good pet type that can live on its own earlier in this thread.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I fully agree the pet AI is the problem.. the EoO just adds to that problem. Side 3 and 4 the pet is usually out of mana so they can not cast it on and off too quickly, which is why I wish they would give you some sort of control over when the pet does and does not cast that particular spell.

Also, the EoO deal is not a myth created by people who do not play pets on a daily basis. My tamer is about the only char I play and have watched the increased damage Dragons do to the Cu just utterly destroy it while running a Rikki because the Cu has used EoO on the stupid Zealot it has targeted from 2 screens away or some other trivial beast while being surrounded by Dragons. Sure, the 5-6 Dragons may indeed take the Cu out even without the EoO deal.. but that dang "double damage" increase from each one makes it a hell of a lot quicker.
Only the last level of the spawns can hurt a good pet. Usually those are spread out and you only have to kill a few before the boss pops. I also rarely use consume now.

There is no reason a pet should die at Rikki or Rat. The last stage goes so fast so I have an area cleared by the altar on the stage before it. One person always clears the ank area in our group. My toon will die because I do stupid things. But if I keep my pet out of a crowd he will stay alive. Also Rikki loves to pull me in for 2 insta death hits. Rikki doesn't do much damage to our pets. Rat is a joke.

For some unknown to heaven reason, the players on LS love the Abyss spawns. IMO those spawn mobs do a lot more damage than other spawns. And it takes forever! Our pets live, we die if we do stupid things. Getting surrounded when the spawn changes is a common death time. We have a guy that falls asleep during it. His pet dies.

We also do the Turtle spawn a lot. Another one I hate. Those end Mobs should damage/kill our 45 poison resist Cus, but they dont. The turtle will kill a pet or two and a toon or 3. It is common for me to run into a sparkle in Turtle Fel and I have to use the help Im stuck because I have no idea where I am.

Neira is another one that is easy to do with pets. Very easy to keep pet killing in a small group of mobs. Boss is a breeze and Lichs die with fire spells from mages. But someone always decides to go in that one room with doors that close when it is full so they need a res.

We have a regular that does Rat and Rikki by herself with a purple Hiryu that is AI/Chiv.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How do you plan on using them? Champ Spawns, or Bosses such as Peerlesses or Shadowguard? If Bosses, then a Fire Beetle with RC/AI would work well, the RC will increase the damage output of your Sampire as well. If your Sampire is capable of using Corpse Skin (Wammy build), then that'll increase the damage of the Fire Beetle as well.

Such as Holy Light from Chiv, which is frequently cast due to it's low 10 Mana cost.

I've brought this up to @Kyronix before, when Pub 97 was on TC. I was specifically pointing out how the Bleed and Poison DoT often make it difficult to get a pet to switch to a new target even with "All Kill".
Ideally, "All Kill" should be ironclad. If you tell a pet to kill a specific target, they should focus on that target without deviating from it as their main target. If my pet is sitting there fighting something, and an AoE or debuff monster shows up (such as a Necro caster, creature with Aura, inflicts Poison, etc), i should be able to tell my pet to "All Kill" that specific target, and have the pet focus on it without question, even if it has a DoT on another mob, or if the pet is using AoE.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ideally, "All Kill" should be ironclad. If you tell a pet to kill a specific target, they should focus on that target without deviating from it as their main target.
I guess the problem is this:

We also want the pet to walk around and kill low level spawn without having to tell it to all kill each slime.
Can the AI allow the pet to attack things on its own and follow a kill command until dead.
I am fine with mounting the pet and starting over if a fix would mess up pets killing things on their own.
This is one reason I don't complain about this on the Bugs forum. Sometimes the fix is worse than the work around.

A very annoying thing is when they have a mob to 1/100 life and then walk a screen away to to fight something else.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess the problem is this:

We also want the pet to walk around and kill low level spawn without having to tell it to all kill each slime.
Can the AI allow the pet to attack things on its own and follow a kill command until dead.
I am fine with mounting the pet and starting over if a fix would mess up pets killing things on their own.
This is one reason I don't complain about this on the Bugs forum. Sometimes the fix is worse than the work around.

A very annoying thing is when they have a mob to 1/100 life and then walk a screen away to to fight something else.
Well yeah, once a pet destroys it's "All Kill" target, it should revert to default "self defense" AI, ideally.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah let me piggyback off this thread. I've got a sampire that can solo Shadowguard but I want some pets I can use on my second account to speed it up a bit. The rooms mostly, but if there's a pet build I can just tell to all kill the bosses at the roof and then not heal it outside of the peacemaking mastery's regen boosts, that'd be great too.