• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fencing] Best fencing weapon for sampire?

B

Boogieman

Hi everyone

I am making a samurai, necro, fencer. The life drain in vamp form works really well, but it's a bit of a life on the edge...
I find the char entertaining to play, but I cannot seem to make whirlwind attack pay off as much as I'd like to see with regard to life drain. I using a kama, because it's a fast weapon and it has whirlwind as the primary special attack. However, I suspect it doesn't so enough damage for the drain from whirlwind to be effective.
Should I combine whirlwind and momentum strike in the same blow?
Or should I change weapon...?

Fencers - speak up!

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi everyone

I am making a samurai, necro, fencer. The life drain in vamp form works really well, but it's a bit of a life on the edge...
I find the char entertaining to play, but I cannot seem to make whirlwind attack pay off as much as I'd like to see with regard to life drain. I using a kama, because it's a fast weapon and it has whirlwind as the primary special attack. However, I suspect it doesn't so enough damage for the drain from whirlwind to be effective.
Should I combine whirlwind and momentum strike in the same blow?
Or should I change weapon...?

Fencers - speak up!
You should switch to macing because Diamond Maces are the best. Or, find a UBWS Diamond Mace :).

C

Chaosy

If you're going to stick with fencing, I recommend a leafblade. Feint + AI are your friends.

B

Boogieman

Could you elaborate a bit on the claim that 'diamon maces are the best'?

UBWS is a big compromise as you cannot use the special attacks on a weapon for which you have no real skill.

C

Connor_Graham

UBWS is a big compromise as you cannot use the special attacks on a weapon for which you have no real skill.
It's really all a matter of preference. For Fencing, the Leaf Blade is the way to go as far as DPS goes. The one problem with Fencing is that you sacrifice high damage hits for weapons with a quicker base swing speed. Swords has different options for weapon choices as you can go with a radiant scimitar for the Whirlwind special, which gives you more damage per hit than a kama, and also has the Rune Blade for a fast 2 hander, along with the ornate axe for a bit slower, but much harder hitting weapon. Macing has the diamond mace and black staff, and hits the opponents stamina harder than Fencing or Swords. Personally, I prefer Swords for the extra freedom in weapon choices, but then I've got all 3 melee skills at 120 sitting on soulstones so I can swap out to whichever I want to use depending on what I'm fighting.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You can use special attacks with UBWS.. you just can't use evasion.

Diamond Maces are the best because its easy to get to max swing speed, and it hits hard. It has the best DPS for the dex investment IMHO.

Rune blades are another good option, but 2 handed so you can't chug.

I run 40 EP on my sampire and I'm digging the 35ish dmg heal pots when the RNG fails me and I miss a few parries.

burdensrise

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I highly recommend a Leaf Blade as a fencer. I run a very uber leaf blade on Siege Perilous for pvp and its just great my build is below

120 fencing
120 ninja
120 bushido
120 tactics
100 hiding
80 stealth
60 med

O

Old Man of UO

Sometimes the best weapon depends on what you are hunting. I assume from your post you meant PvM?

My favorite fencing weapon for Doom is a kryss that I got from a paragon demon:
Demon Slayer
48% ML
47% DI

Use that with a Conjurer's Trinket in Doom and you can mana leech as much as you ever need with a Paladin, or do both life and mana leech with a Sampire. Momentum strike on the DF keeps me at full mana as long as there is other spawn around.

For my macer, I made two weapons that work really well. The first is a silver-etched mace I made with a copper runic hammer:
Undead Slayer
59% ML
30% HLA
30% SSI
40% DI

The second mace weapon that I like is a hardened Wild Staff that I made with a Yew runic saw. It is fast and keeps my Sampire completely healed but doesn't leech mana as well as the mace. This one works great on anything that deadly poisons my Sampire.
(I think these are the properties - the log in server is down and can't look)
+60% HML
?? % HLD
50% HLA
59% DI

I just wish all of these also had stamina leech, but usually I have enough mana to keep casting divine fury... usually.