• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best build for a GIANT BEETLE to be used in Treasure Hunting ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know that many just use a second account but, personally, I hate multi-clienting....

I would like to train a Giant Beetle to be used as "main" fighter in any and all Treasure Hunts all the way to Trove Maps and on any and all Facets, with a Tamer/Mage/Spellweaver.

The Tamer will only be of support to heal, cure the Giant Beetle and all that, so, the Giant Beetle will need to be strong enough to be able to kill the spawn on its own.

I looked at the training options at the UO-CAH Pet Planner Pet Planner | uo-cah.com and for a Giant Beetle, I see :

MAGIC ABILITIES
- Poisoning
- Battle Defense
- Bashing
- Piercing
- Slashing
- Wrestle Mastery

It is confusing, though, because, aside from the fact that I do not know which of those 6 Magic Abilities would make the Giant Beetle capable of fighting and killing also Trove Treasure Maps Guardians and on all Facets, including Eodon, when I select some of those Magic Abilities I automatically get in the slots some special moves and a warning pops up :

: You have more than 3 abilities selected. Pets can only have 3 total abilities, including their innate starting abilities.
Exception: If your pet did not start with a Magic Ability, you can have 4 Total Abilities. You Must train the Magic Ability LAST for this to work.
I am not sure what I may have done wrong, since I selected nothing, those special moves were automatically inserted in the slots upon selecting the Magical Ability....

Selecting Poisoning puts nothing in Special Abilities, nothing in Special Moves and nothing in AoE Abilities (all remain blank).

Selecting Battle Defense as a Magical Ability, automatically puts nothing in Move 1 (blank), Paralyze in Move 2 and Disarm in Move 3 (by the way, isn't this useless to have when fighting Monsters ? A waste of pet training points?). And I get that Warning message.

Selecting Bashing as a Magical Ability, automatically puts in Move 1 Mortal Strike, in Move 2 Concussion Blow, and in Move 3 Disarm (as above, isn't this useless to have when fighting Monsters ? A waste of pet training points?). And I get that Warning message.

Selecting Piercing as a Magical Ability, automatically puts Armor Ignore in Move 1 and Paraize in Move 2. With Piercing, I do not get that Warning Message.

Selecting Slashing as a Magical Ability, automatically puts in Move 1 Nerve Strike, in Move 2 Armor Ignore, and in Move 3 Disarm (as above, isn't this useless to have when fighting Monsters ? A waste of pet training points?). And I get that Warning message.

Selecting Wrestle Mastery as a Magical Ability, exactly as the Battle Defense Magical Ability (how come these 2 Magical abilities are exactly the same ??) , automatically puts nothing in Move 1 (blank), Paralyze in Move 2 and Disarm in Move 3 (again, isn't this useless to have when fighting Monsters ? A waste of pet training points?). And I get that Warning message.

NOTE. All these "pre-selected" Special Moves, are "greyed out" in their boxes and I cannot change them.

Anyone more experienced with the training of Giant Beetles can please advice me on what training I should give to a Giant Beetle to use it as the Main (sole ?) fighting tool in Treasure Hunting, and for any and all Guardians, including those from Trove Treasure Maps, and on all Facets ?

That is, including in Eodon where Anchisaurus, Allosaurus, Sand Vortex spawn, but also on the other facets whereas in Trammel and Felucca Ancient Wyrms and Frost Dragons spawn among the others, in Ilshenar Titans and Renegade Changelings spawn among the others, in Malas Devourer of Souls, Wanderer of the Void and Minotaur Generals spawn among the others, in Tokuno Rune Beetles, Yomotsu Elders, Onis and Yamandons spawn among the others, in Ter Mur Lava Elementals, Greater Poison Elementals, Enraged Earth Elementals, Fire Daemons and Enraged Colossus spawn.....

That is, I am in need of a training for a Giant Beetle that could do well regardless of the specific stats of the Monster that it would have to fight.

Of course, I would deal with the spawn 1 at a time dragging them away from the rest of the spawn and fighting them 1 at a time using the Giant Beetle.

Thank you for the help.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I use a unicorn for t hunting and can solo all maps even eodon if i dont mind wasting 25 minutes killing an alusauras

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disco cu on my thunter.
CU-Sidhes, Tritons and several other pets are good companions for fights.... yet, I really would like to stick to a Giant Beetle to use for Treasure Hunting....

If I can figure out what training I should use to make it a real killer, capable to kill the Guardians of any Map, Trove included, on any Facet, even those in Eodon....

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
CU-Sidhes, Tritons and several other pets are good companions for fights.... yet, I really would like to stick to a Giant Beetle to use for Treasure Hunting....

If I can figure out what training I should use to make it a real killer, capable to kill the Guardians of any Map, Trove included, on any Facet, even those in Eodon....
Ok let us know when you got it figured out ..

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Doing eodon maps solo ? Just put them in the trash.
For other facets up to hoard FWW +RC
or FWW+Nausea or FWW+ AI
And I spam area peace + peace mastery .

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

So your plan is to use a less effective pet so you can what… come back and complain about how your pet is taking to long to do maps?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So your plan is to use a less effective pet so you can what… come back and complain about how your pet is taking to long to do maps?
A well built beetle far from less effective but popps will be back me thinks

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Looks like his plan is to save on translocation powder . Penny saved is penny earned .

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doing eodon maps solo ? Just put them in the trash.
For other facets up to hoard FWW +RC
or FWW+Nausea or FWW+ AI
And I spam area peace + peace mastery .
That is with a Giant Beetle ?

And you have a Bard/Tamer/Treasure Hunter ?

How can you squeeze so many skills on a Template ?

Bard Masteries, in order to work well, need to have the Bard to be a 4x120....

On top of that, you need at Least Animal Taming and Animal Lore and then, you need Cartograpgy and Lockpicking for the Treasure Hunting plus some Magery....

Can you please explain how you fit all of that on 1 Template ?

Thanks !!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like his plan is to save on translocation powder . Penny saved is penny earned .
A Giant Beetle comes handy for Facets like Ilshenar and Eodon where one cannot recall/Gate....

Besides, I want to see if it is possible to train a Giant Beetle to be effective towards even Trove Treasure Maps Guardians....

gwen

Slightly Crazed
That is with a Giant Beetle ?

And you have a Bard/Tamer/Treasure Hunter ?

How can you squeeze so many skills on a Template ?

Bard Masteries, in order to work well, need to have the Bard to be a 4x120....

On top of that, you need at Least Animal Taming and Animal Lore and then, you need Cartograpgy and Lockpicking for the Treasure Hunting plus some Magery....

Can you please explain how you fit all of that on 1 Template ?

Thanks !!
What do you mean by "well"? I need them to work enough for the given task.
Can even squeeze LP there by decreasing Music and Peace by 50 each (100 with jewels is enough for spamming area peace with 100% proc, but I will loose skill mastery). 2*120 is enough to give pet additional regen, DCI, poison resists and damage decrease.

skills real(with jewels)
Music 120
Peace 120
Tame 100 (110-120) -can be less , don't want to drop them I use this skills on my thrower. also allows to pop tritons.
Lore 100 (110-120)
Magery 80(95-110)
Remove Trap 100
Cartography 100 /lock picking 100 (dig 3 chest, kill guardians , stone carto , get LP, go open chests while RT timer already disabled traps). Target peace on Grubber when he appear will freeze him.

Last edited:

gwen

Slightly Crazed
A Giant Beetle comes handy for Facets like Ilshenar and Eodon where one cannot recall/Gate....

Besides, I want to see if it is possible to train a Giant Beetle to be effective towards even Trove Treasure Maps Guardians....
Bag of sending works in all facets . Including Ilsh and Eodon.
Most effective tactic for eodon maps is trashing them.
If you think saving on powder is more important than pet's own healing , or 150-170 resist spells , or complete immunity to poison -ok then , take beetle.

Sam Adams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
What's all the hubbub bub? My t-hunter has a giant beetle and does great with every map. Its 7x 120 and poisoning, rune corruption and AI. I have to take them one at a time on the highest level map but its doable. I also keep a character off screen if i need to res. The beetle is amazing for the carry capacity and it has no problem killing everything.

Popps, the only thing important is to do it how you have fun doing it.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tried several different types of pets. Any 5 slot, decently trained pet is going to be able to do any level map given enough time. That really isn’t the point.

For a single Thunter, without needing to swap skills in between, I found the Discord cu to be the most effective… having both good damage output as well as survival. Frost dragons can be a little challenging, but disco will actually get applied to more than the mob it’s attacking which means it can take on larger crowds and still survive. This means less time luring mobs away while also killing mobs faster. It is also rideable where the Triton is not.

If the goal is collecting all the items for unraveling, fishing up SoS is much more efficient since you can just take the whole chest home. That really only leaves gold and specials from tmaps… which you can clear quite a few before your character is over loaded, provided you have a bos.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's all the hubbub bub? My t-hunter has a giant beetle and does great with every map. Its 7x 120 and poisoning, rune corruption and AI. I have to take them one at a time on the highest level map but its doable. I also keep a character off screen if i need to res. The beetle is amazing for the carry capacity and it has no problem killing everything.

Popps, the only thing important is to do it how you have fun doing it.
@Sam Adams

WOW, I am impressed that you were able to find a Giant Beetle with an Intensity high enough to fit in all those training points.

Do you, by any chance, remember what Intensity it was untrained, and can you please tell how many points you allocated for the various stats, the 3 Regens, Strength, Intelligence and Dexterity and for Hit Points, Mana and Dexterity ?

I have been thinking that Poisoning is important, especially when doing Maps that have the Yamandon as a Guardian.... but it cost 101 training points, Rune Corruption cost another 100 points and another 100 training points for Armor Ignore. Then, 7x120 skills cost another 500 points.

Question. In order to save up on training points, since the Giant Beetle starts with 50 Dexterity only, and to bring it up to 150 through training it costs training points, did you raise its Dexterity up to 150 before actually starting with its training as as to save up on training points ?