• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Behind proxy

M

Monkey

So I'm in a student building, where the owner has decided, to uphold a datalimit for each room, to place us all behind a proxy which monitors our bandwidth usage. That's all fine and dandy for me, but I can't connect to UO anymore.

I've read the EA knowledge base that lists the port numbers that need to be open for UO to work, which I've forwarded to the owner, but that doesn't seem to be the solution.

He's just set the mode to accept all port requests in the firewall, which he showed me himself, so it -should- work, but I can't connect to the patcher, nor log into the game.

What else could be wrong? It's not my laptop that's at fault probably, as it works just fine when I'm at my real home.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you just tried today, there's a chance that it might have something to do with the login issues. Not sure if the patch servers (which is your problem since you can't even patch) are affected by the same problems with the login server.

Try again and see if it works now.

If you'd had this for a while, is this the article you found?

If you are running Ultima Online behind a firewall or using a proxy server, you will need these port numbers open for incoming and outgoing traffic:

TCP/IP ports: 5001-5010
Game: 7775-7777
Login: 8888
Patch: 8800-8900
UO Messenger: 9999

You will not be able to play UO without access to these open ports. For information on opening these ports in your firewall or proxy server, please contact either the firewall/proxy manufacturer or your system administrator. If these ports can not be opened, you will need to find an alternate method of connecting to the internet where these ports can be opened.

If so, a couple of notes:

1) Landlord needs to open them for both incoming and outgoing.

2) The ports needed for patching server are the entire range from 8800 to 8900 (but I think only is used 8888, can't confirm right now)

3) Except for the TCP ports 5001 to 5010, for the open ports, open for both TCP and UDP packets

4) Also include these 2 ports : port 1380 and port 80

Saw the 2 latter connection in my logs when starting UO. So the KB might be a tad inaccurate. Port 80 is standard http traffic to display the patch notes and normally not blocked, but I added it just in case. That means 1380 is likely connecting to the patch server to retrieve the patch list.

There may be more required when actually downloading the patches, but I patched my UO and didn't save the logs, so I can't tell now :gee:

M

Monkey

Thanks for that, though I just found some contradicting information between the EA knowledge base and the actual UO page. The latter says:

Firewall or Proxy
You may also receive the above message if you connect to the Internet from behind a firewall or proxy server. We currently do not support access to the Ultima Online servers from behind either of these configurations.
So I guess that's no UO for me here.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What that disclaimer means, is "it's up to you on your end to get through the firewall/proxy - EA Support can't help you there", not that they are against it. After all, 99.9% of UO connections have been going through firewalls now, for probably the last 6 years.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for that, though I just found some contradicting information between the EA knowledge base and the actual UO page. The latter says:

So I guess that's no UO for me here.
Like Basara says, it just means they won't help you if you are experiencing a connection problem behind a firewall.

It's a bit difficult to troubleshoot without access to the firewall as there are so many different types of hardware/software firewalls in the market. Different manufacturer have settings located in different configuration tabs.

Alternatively, are you paying the landlord for internet access? If so, and the landlord refuses to do anything more, stop paying him and use that money to get yourself a wireless broadband connection.