• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] Beginner Question - Making Icons?

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm looking to start getting into modding for EC, so I figured I'd start with something simple.

I'd like to begin by just making a few more icons that don't currently exist.

Can anyone give me some beginner tips on how to start this?

Thanks!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

First step is getting a DDS capable graphics editing package. I've been using Gimp 2.0 with the dds plugin and it's worked well.

Then you'll probably want to use one of the default icons (Blank1.dds is probably best) as your template and go from there.

As for adding them into the UI itself, check with Zym and Decors as they have done more of the actual "adding in new icons" whereas I've simply tweaked already existing ones.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Related to the OP's question and what you've said, I've got a few quick questions of my own.

I'm looking to mod some of the graphics and I already downloaded the .dds plugin for photoshop, but I'm useless at anything involving scripts/programming. I did take a quick look through the documentation, but it was a little overwhelming. But I'm not looking to mess with any of programming/scripting elements right now anyway, I just wanna change how it looks.

So I assume I can just take the default UI, copy and rename the folder and edit the graphics and just save them under the original filenames, and it should work ok? As long as I don't start messing with things like the dimensions and stuff?

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I assume I can just take the default UI, copy and rename the folder and edit the graphics and just save them under the original filenames, and it should work ok? As long as I don't start messing with things like the dimensions and stuff?
Yes. I would also delete any files you don't change (especially the XML and LUA files) to minimize your risk of having a broken UI whenever EA patches the client.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone add little more information as to the process of how creating custom Icons is done?

1) How do you save them to the right location? Currently I'm editing and copying over some of the Icon Packs.
2) How do you take a graphic within UO and downsize it and create an Icon of it. (Example is Slayer w/ Red Daemon). How do you resize and what format (DDS I take it).

What if I wanted to do a Bovine Slayer but I wanted a Minotaur graphics on my Icon instead of the Cow with the Bovine Talisman?

I've managed two edit a few via Photoshop Elements but not sure as to the best approach from scratch.

Seeing how relatively easy it is to Edit Icons/create I find it very disappointing the current default Icons are all that were provided by the Dev Team. I mean they could have done much better and given us many more icons to use than what is currently on the list. Extremely disappointing after playing around with some on my Photoshop.