• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Been a lousy couple of days

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My first time out since returning I fished up a Ancient SOS first thing. Then a few MIB's
The last 2 days I have been getting maps that I can't read but no bottles, except for ale. I generally fish 2 hours in the morning then in the afternoon another 2 hours. Evening time I go fish up the SOS I got earlier. It may seem like boring play to some but I enjoy the relaxed pace.

I haven't even logged in during the evening hours the last 2 days. I sure hope it gets better soon.
Is it always like this?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first time out since returning I fished up a Ancient SOS first thing. Then a few MIB's
The last 2 days I have been getting maps that I can't read but no bottles
I have a theory that our characters have an invisible luck factor that grows on its own every day. When we log in on those characters every day like clockwork and run them through their paces, that invisible luck factor is quickly used up and perhaps even goes negative. However, if we log in our characters and don't use them for luck-expending activities or just don't log into them at all, that invisible luck factor has a chance to grow a little bit each day. Then, when we rouse our characters after a nice break from luck-expending activities, they have a really awesome day and we get all excited and start logging them in again day after day until once again they are in the doldrums.

Anyway, that's my theory on how to explain why it seems like characters I haven't really played in a while almost always seem to have awesome luck on their first trip or two after taking a break but eventually seem to have no luck at all if I start playing them regularly for any significant amount of time.

Perhaps you could start a fisher on another shard or two so you can rotate among them and see what happens?

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a theory that our characters have an invisible luck factor that grows on its own every day. When we log in on those characters every day like clockwork and run them through their paces, that invisible luck factor is quickly used up and perhaps even goes negative. However, if we log in our characters and don't use them for luck-expending activities or just don't log into them at all, that invisible luck factor has a chance to grow a little bit each day. Then, when we rouse our characters after a nice break from luck-expending activities, they have a really awesome day and we get all excited and start logging them in again day after day until once again they are in the doldrums.

Anyway, that's my theory on how to explain why it seems like characters I haven't really played in a while almost always seem to have awesome luck on their first trip or two after taking a break but eventually seem to have no luck at all if I start playing them regularly for any significant amount of time.

Perhaps you could start a fisher on another shard or two so you can rotate among them and see what happens?
It really does feel like this sometimes. On days where I do 30-40 MIBs I seem to start off well and then the loot just gets progressively worse as i progress.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It really does feel like this sometimes. On days where I do 30-40 MIBs I seem to start off well and then the loot just gets progressively worse as i progress.
Yeah, I have really started to wonder just how many things in UO that rely on the RNG might be also affected by some kind of "diminishing returns" formula. We'll probably never know!

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Just curious how long does it take you to get 30-40 mib's? I feel lucky when I get 4 at the end of my fishing day.

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly. I keep the ones I fish up but I also keep an eye out for people selling them. I'll buy them if they are being sold for 10 - 20k each. So with a little effort you will make at least your gold back plus any items worth keeping. I don't throw anything away, all of the items marked as recovered from a shipwreck get turned in for cleanup points, jewels go into my imbuing resources, regs get saved, and all the scrolls get sold to npcs. And any weapons and armor i don't keep get unraveled for imbuing supplies.

Between buying them and fishing up my own MIBs I usually have a pretty full Davies Locker.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Murphy's law usually applies to my efforts. If I fish for MiBs I don't get them, if I fish to fill quest orders I get MiBs.