• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Beaten into subjugation guide

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
“Beaten into subjugation”

By Dreadlord Lestat

There are four creatures in game that must be “beaten into subjugation” before being able to be tamed. These creatures are the giant beetle, the giant ice worm, the fire beetle, and the iron beetle.

The giant beetle is found in the N/E and S/E solen hives. It is a pack animal that can hold up to 1600 stones that can also be ridden as a mount. It requires 3 control slots and is a meat eater. 29.1 is the minimum required taming skill to tame, though these can be owned by anyone.

The giant ice worm is found in the icy regions and only comes out when a green thorn http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=gameitem&id=2583 is planted in the snow. The giant ice worm requires 1 control slot and is a meat eater. 71.1 is the minimum required taming skill to tame and control.

The fire beetle is found in the Yomotsu Mines. It is unique as it can be used to smelt ore while mining and is also can be ridden as a mount. It requires 3 control slots and is a meat eater. 93.9 is the minimum required taming skill to tame though these can be owned by anyone. It is a miner’s best friend.

The iron beetle is found in the underworld. It is unique as it can mine for ore though it is slow and cannot be counted on to mine faster than a player. It also changes color to the color of the ore it just mined. It requires 4 control slots and is a meat eater. 71.1 is the minimum taming skill required to tame though these can be controlled by anyone.

If you try to tame one of these without beating it into subjugation, you will get the message *you must subdue this creature before you can tame it.* In order to beat it into subjugation, you must take it’s health below 25% at which time you will get the message *the creature has been beaten into subjugation* You can now start to tame it. If it goes over 25% health before being tamed, it will need to be subjugated again. Try not to use spells that cause damage over time like poison. That can backfire on you by killing it before you can tame it.

Fire beetles can be a pain to tame due to surrounding spawn but bring in a nice price when sold due to the difficulty in taming one. Many tamers don’t bother with them though that doesn’t decrease a miners want for one.

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice write up. Just to add my 2 cents about the fire beetle and the iron beetle. Here is how I usually tame them.

I will precast an invis and then run up to near the beetle and invis. This will break aggro of anything that has targeted you running into the area. I will then cast a quick spell like magic arrow at the beetle. Why you ask...
This seems to put the beetle into a quicker run than normal. what this allows you to do is to pull the beetle into a less hairy section of the dungeon to make your tame attempt.

two quick side notes, this speed is broken by any hits on the beetle. so if your too close and it is able to get a swing on you, they will not follow you as fast. I will also set up the area I am pulling to tame. Luring off the side spawn to have a clean area to work on your tame. Usually I can get the small spell off and get the beetle out of the area before anything else aggros on me with this method.

Honor taming would work fine, you would just have to break aggro after subjigation andbefore taming. Although I dont ever waste Honor on a beetle myself others may find it useful here.

I then use summons (natures fury works well and are easialy dispelled), ev's and mares work well. Although I usually find my mare always seems to get that explode off just before I mount him and hop on my mare just in time to see the beetle die to this delayed spell.

Hope this helps others make them a less aggravating tame.