• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Be careful in Blackthorns Dungeon!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After 15 to 30 mins you get teleported to instant death.

A player was complaining about it so I went to check. I left my guy and went afk. Returned and was still there. But while I was writing in chat that I was still alive. I was sent to a cell in another area of the dungeon and gassed to death...

I was in the Gold Ele area.

upload_2018-1-30_15-27-37.png

There was no warning. I had just typed that I was still alive in chat. But when I looked back at the screen. I was not. (hunt and pecker)

upload_2018-1-30_15-32-16.png

We both were sent at the same time.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This only happens in Trammel, not Felucca.

It is part of the games anti scripting mechanism.
(In Felucca you would be PK'd of course).

Bit of a pain tbh, and another area where the honest player loses out.

I have a thrower, that genuinely does not move to kill the stuff there, so I can be sat there throwing away at the mages to collect Blackthorn arties, and every 20 minutes be thrown into that cell, I just live to get out, and go back, then it happens again and again, quite annoying, and ultimately unplayable.

I play mainly in Fel anyway, so in a way doesn't bother me, but I find it a shame that anti scripting mechanisms affect honest players.

In one way it's good to see anti scripting mechanisms, in another, it's painful to play through.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's been that way for many years. Do NOT question my PvM knowledge, lol. :D
I been sending all the return players there in the last few weeks. It has 3 people in it on LS quite often. Not anymore I guess.

I can't take killing the easy stuff there. I have pets to train. Poor Noobs gonna die now.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Think it only happens if you do not move. I can't see any returning players never moving around the dungeon when hunting.
I'm pretty sure the returning players will be fine hunting in Blackthorn's Basement.

If a player is legit at their keyboard, its pretty much a given they will move within 15-30 mins.
A big Ataboy for anti scripting mechanics. Glad to see UO trying to stop it. :)

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, it just happened to me, completely attended. I wasn't really moving because I didn't need to, then bam. Teleported.

Necron87

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmmm, It's very good that the developers for the first time in 20 years began to fight with the scripters,but this system - if you stand in one place no more than 15-30 minutes. In the script it's very easy to write down values so that the bot goes forward and backward. @Kyronix @Bleak ,
What do you think about it ?

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(It might not have been reactivated on all shards. I did not do a comprehensive test, but I spent a good 30 minutes sitting on a sweet spot in the mage room, and was not teleported, on my home shard.
Yes, reactivating this mechanic does not hurt the farmer-scripters. One fellow I shared the mage room with a couple of years back had a script that would step him toward an enemy. He only had to check every few hours to lead the balron away... but if he saw that he was sharing the room, he would lure the greater dragon onto the other person first. Good times.)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is my favorite hunting ground. I've seen it, but never experienced it. I'm always moving around as a melee. I regularly tame greaters down there too, but they don't take long to tame.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(I should 'a' kept my mouth shut. It's now been turned on, on my home shard.)

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(It's not exactly new to Baja. It first appeared some years ago, it was around for a few weeks, then it was turned off. Fast forward to now, where it's back again. What's different is that back then, I could get six Minax items per hour. Now, only three maximum. ... ... Don't expect my "Minax Items" vendor in Luna to be restocked any time soon.)

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did they ever fix the exploit people were using down there that effected how drops were received? Don't wanna go in too much detail but I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
After 15 to 30 mins you get teleported to instant death.

A player was complaining about it so I went to check. I left my guy and went afk. Returned and was still there. But while I was writing in chat that I was still alive. I was sent to a cell in another area of the dungeon and gassed to death...

I was in the Gold Ele area.

View attachment 76995

There was no warning. I had just typed that I was still alive in chat. But when I looked back at the screen. I was not. (hunt and pecker)

View attachment 76996

We both were sent at the same time.
OOOPS! This happened to me the first time I went in there about 2 years ago. I stopped at the hitching post, invis'd and ran out to the loo and came back , I was dead in a chamber. Not nice! :violin:

TheWolf

Adventurer
Think it only happens if you do not move. I can't see any returning players never moving around the dungeon when hunting.
I'm pretty sure the returning players will be fine hunting in Blackthorn's Basement.

If a player is legit at their keyboard, its pretty much a given they will move within 15-30 mins.
A big Ataboy for anti scripting mechanics. Glad to see UO trying to stop it. :)
I play a tamer, or thrower. I am legit at my keyboard. I play other more engaging games while my character tries to catch all the pokemon in blackthorns castle. None the less, I am legit at my keyboard, playing blackthorn castle as intended. I have made several new character, this is really the only content that I still need items from. Lots of good items. I'm looking at maybe 800 drops to gear 3 newer characters.

I'm not sure where people are getting 15 minutes I took a piss and came back and i was teleported
I agree, I switch screens to take a few steps, try to get back to a certain area or sweet spot. Not even 3 minutes later I am in a cell with 5 brigands, and a rotting corpse, getting pancaked

Why change / revert this back now?

Necron87

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix .
My message with screenshots is an example of how on freeshard are fighting with macrosing afk and multiple accounts,was removed moderators,and I only wanted to quote the words Smoot's,which completely reflect the problem...

[bcolor=transparent]
the people who farm loot as a job do abcess with 20 characters afk scripting. farming, and loot value, is basically dead for the average player.
[/bcolor]

Necron87

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I spoke about this problem personally Mesanna's on meeting with the developers.

Last edited:

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use to go down there and steal from all the afk farmers. I prolly stole over 100 drops over time but in addition to afk farming they also started using an exploit that safeguards the drops. I like the turn in system which allows for a bit more character customization but the system for drops was very poorly executed. From personal experience the players I see down there are afk most of the time. They don't even worry about getting pked because any drop they got were safe anyways. I dont even bother going down there on my thief anymore. I like killing them but before they started using the exploit they were more valuable alive than dead.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I use to go down there and steal from all the afk farmers. I prolly stole over 100 drops over time but in addition to afk farming they also started using an exploit that safeguards the drops. I like the turn in system which allows for a bit more character customization but the system for drops was very poorly executed. From personal experience the players I see down there are afk most of the time. They don't even worry about getting pked because any drop they got were safe anyways. I dont even bother going down there on my thief anymore. I like killing them but before they started using the exploit they were more valuable alive than dead.
Well it looks like your days of stealing from them are over..Any afk'er down there now gets teleported to the pancake room, gets handed a death robe..So I guess no more of that afk in BT castle basement..right?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well it looks like your days of stealing from them are over..Any afk'er down there now gets teleported to the pancake room, gets handed a death robe..So I guess no more of that afk in BT castle basement..right?
I think the teleporting is only in the Tram version.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The entire system down there was flawed from the beginning. Any fixes they've added have been equally flawed. Any system that allows farming whether attended or not while doing little or nothing is flawed. Any system that allows players to safeguard drops thru an exploit is flawed. Not allowing thieves to stay hidden is a flaw built by ill conceived fixes. I gives the devs an A for effort for at least trying to address the afk farming but everytime they do try to address it they open a whole new can of worms. Now even if someone is attended you cant consistently sneak up on them and even if you do they use an exploit to safeguard the drops. Theres been yet another nerf to thieves tho not intentional that very few players even realize. Thieves can hardly afford to be nerfed anymore. 90 percent of the lands are already safezones and 99 percent of the items in fel are unstealable. No class of character has even come anywhere close to being nerfed as badly.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i can confirm theres no teleporting in fel blackthorns. came across someone afk farming gold eles for most of the day the other day.
Or, you know, they could have not been AFK. *mind blown.*

North_LS

Journeyman
Or, you know, they could have not been AFK. *mind blown.*
that was my first thought too! i figured they were just a normal farmer. then i thought about it a bit, and realized they couldnt possibly be looting anything from their location. still though, could have been just artifact farming on a second PC and just taking a glance here and there, nothing wrong with that. so i tried to strike up a conversation just to be sure, and nothing. then i got curious about how many artifact drops they might be holding. then i checked. several hours later, i was reported for a murder.

i think its pretty safe to say they were AFK.

I still feel a little bad about it.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(So the macroers who have a macro that moves them every two minutes are rewarded for it. Hm.)

North_LS

Journeyman
also pretty sure the guy i found auto-insures his artifact drops now. minax art drops should really all be cursed.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
also pretty sure the guy i found auto-insures his artifact drops now. minax art drops should really all be cursed.
True, I was very surprised when I got my first one and noticed the missing "cursed".

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
True, I was very surprised when I got my first one and noticed the missing "cursed".
Well what happens when an actual "good" item spawns that you'd like to keep??? I've actually gotten one or two of those... I'd rather it wasn't cursed.

North_LS

Journeyman
i'd think if they're only meant to be used as turn-in tokens, they should spawn as plain items with the cursed property only. if they're meant to be random rewards that can be used or turned in as the recipient sees fit, then sure, i can see keeping the random properties without forcing a cursed property. it does seem as though they're intentionally kept at the very low end of the loot powerband for the most part though, so i sort of figured they were intended to function as turn-in tokens only.

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was one complaining on LS yesterday in gen chat about being teleported in the gold ele spot. I was there smashing eles with my char because it was something I could do while playing from my hospital bed on crappy wifi! I may not have moved as I didnt need too thanks to my attack last target next macro. Lucky for me, when I complained about it someone in gen chat came to help me recover my body and kill the rotten corpse that stole my 2200 gold ingots I worked for a while to collect! I just found it strange I had been down there for hours the day before doing the same thing and never had an issue!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup, I take a stationary guy there to kill the gold eles while my miner grabs the ore and smelts it.

Glad you got your body. You quit talking.

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, I take a stationary guy there to kill the gold eles while my miner grabs the ore and smelts it.

Glad you got your body. You quit talking.
Well I was expecting the "vampires" to show up and suck more blood and another batch of pain meds! I tried to farm eles "stoned" but my eye hand coordination just wasn't cutting it and with the new changes I figured it was best to take a break!