• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Battle Defense help

scarecrow73

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just as title said, I am trying to learn about Battle defense and cannot seem to find much on it. I put it on a Fire Beetle to give it a shot and its not terrible so far, but I keep hearing what sounds like Bushido's Confidence but I cant find where it said it uses that and I have no Bushido in the menu's. Is the sound I am hearing similar but different? Is it a "lesser" form of confidence? I am confused and not sure the best way to test it. Any help would be appreciated! UO Beetle.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Battle defense put the paralyze and disarm on the pet.

Battle Defense: Trains the creature in the disarm and paralyze special moves. Also trains the creature in the Heightened Senses, Shield Bash and Bodyguard mastery abilities.

The only thing that I can verify that it does is the Bodyguard Mastery from Parry. That is why it does not show up as a training choice on pets that can get it, until they have 100 wresting skill, which then activates Parry.

This is the player mastery abilities:
Parry
Title: The Deflector

shieldbashShield Bash
When activated the shield user will execute a shield bash on successfully hitting or parrying their opponent causing physical damage and paralyzing their opponent, interrupts spells if players are not immune to paralyze, based on parry skill, best weapon skill, and mastery level. Damage is capped in pvp at 35.
bodyguardBody Guard
The shield user chooses a protectee to absorb a percentage of damage done to the protectee based on parry skill, best weapon skill, and mastery level.
heightenedsensesHeightened Senses
Toggle ability that provides the Parrying Master with increased chance to parry based on parry skill, best weapon skill and mastery level that consumes mana while active.

On Pets:

Body Guard on pets
does not work like it does on Players. When you tell the pet to Guard you, it will activate Body Guard when it chooses to. You will see the buff in your buff bar.

Then it reduces damage to both the player and the pet by by 50%. I have never seen the pet lose HP when only I lose HP.
It lasts 60 seconds.

1654399315589.png

Heightened Senses Sounds like confidence and provides the Pet with increased chance to parry based on Parry skill and Wrestling. It consumes mana while active.

Shield Bash on Pets: To be determined

But, Disarm is useless in PvM and Paralyze was nerfed to a point of lameness, that those 2 are wasted moves that the pet will use.

I do not know what shield bash does or sounds like.

Maybe you are hearing one of those.

But Body Guard on the pet makes it take half damage when active, It Allows the pet to tank very well, But usually you can not put it on a pet with enough other things to make it a useful pet. But I will check out this on a Beetle.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Darn, I could not put AI/RC then Body Guard on my beetle. That ability disappears from the Magic List choices.

You can just choose 1 and then Body Guard.

scarecrow73

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was not on originally, I had to train the wrestling to GM I believe, before it became an option. It is a spell/move that it uses and sounds exactly like confidence. I will continue to work with it to see what I can tell about it but at this point I am assuming that there is not enough information out there to research it, I need to just play it and see. I have used bodyguard but its a pain to invoke... I like the shield bash and figured since I couldn't get Chiv, I would try it out. (Did not want poison)

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know pinco has buff icons for pets i wish regular ec did so i could know when my pet has used say rune corruption

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually when battle defense is activated by a pet a buff appears in *your* icon bar.
Kinda like the one I showed in the picture... And described.

So could you have battle mastery,RC and feint on a fire beetle
No when you pick one ability, Battle Mastery goes away, like I said. BM puts on 2 abilities. so it would over cap a pet.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was not on originally, I had to train the wrestling to GM I believe, before it became an option. It is a spell/move that it uses and sounds exactly like confidence. I will continue to work with it to see what I can tell about it but at this point I am assuming that there is not enough information out there to research it, I need to just play it and see. I have used bodyguard but its a pain to invoke... I like the shield bash and figured since I couldn't get Chiv, I would try it out. (Did not want poison)

Pets do what they want so it is not easy distinguishing what they are doing and when. You can see when Body guard is running and they will fight during that time. So we know that one.

You would have to fight a long battle, An Allosaurus would be a good choice. Watch the damages, I assume it will not do disarm, so once you can tell what the normal hits are under RC and not RC, you may be able to tell if a Shield bash is being used. You will have to know which is paralyze. You may be able to give us a shield bash damage amount, maybe in a long fight you can tell if its parry increased for a small amount of time.

Good Luck!

Maybe you or someone else have a Parry mastery primer lying around and you can get the noises and/or animations that are used on players when SB and HS activate.

One time long ago I wrote something about BD, a player I had never seen before and never again, came up to me at the stable, partied me and turned Body Guard on. I have no idea if it was from something I wrote or if some dude goes around doing that...

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Kinda like the one I showed in the picture... And described.

No when you pick one ability, Battle Mastery goes away, like I said. BM puts on 2 abilities. so it would over cap a pet.
It gets confusing because one is magical ability one is special ability and the other special moves you should be able to have one of each maybe uo.cah can update site to say if you pick this. You cant pick that

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It gets confusing because one is magical ability one is special ability and the other special moves you should be able to have one of each maybe uo.cah can update site to say if you pick this. You cant pick that
We are lucky that Cah does a lot of extra stuff on the pet building calculator. lol I knew I should not trust you.

You can not put AI/RC then Battle Defense in Cah. It literally removes the special move you chose and puts on what the pet can get. Now go wash your mouth out for Blaspheme of Cah.

1654735686658.png

My top bookmarks:
Special Moves – Ultima Online

Those will answer all your questions, Also I go to Test center and try stuff. For me, Cah is for saving potential builds in case I forget about them. And to easily show someone on the forum what they can build.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Everyone so sensitive about cah i was just asking a question i didn't put anything into the calculator just going off the one can have one of each

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Adding that info to the higher answers, Thanks.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Everyone so sensitive about cah i was just asking a question i didn't put anything into the calculator just going off the one can have one of each
You just said this:

maybe uo.cah can update site to say if you pick this. You cant pick that
You did not even check their site before you said they should change something that is already done. The this or that does not matter you can't have more than 2 special moves.

More specifically if you use the links I gave you.

Selecting a new school of magic is not to be considered lightly, it will remove any innate magical ability the pet may have. You may only select a total of Three options, two from the first 3 categories shown here and one from the magical abilities list. Select in the order shown below, magical ability last. Keep in mind many pets already have a special ability, which cannot be overwritten. This reduces your choices.

• 1 area effect
  • 2 special moves
  • 1 special ability
  • 1 magical ability

That is what a pet can have.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You just said this:

You did not even check their site before you said they should change something that is already done. The this or that does not matter you can't have more than 2 special moves.

More specifically if you use the links I gave you.

Selecting a new school of magic is not to be considered lightly, it will remove any innate magical ability the pet may have. You may only select a total of Three options, two from the first 3 categories shown here and one from the magical abilities list. Select in the order shown below, magical ability last. Keep in mind many pets already have a special ability, which cannot be overwritten. This reduces your choices.

• 1 area effect
  • 2 special moves
  • 1 special ability
  • 1 magical ability

That is what a pet can have.
Yes and as i stated the three things mentioned are all different ones of these using the calculator it shows what happens but just looking at the tables it seems you can have all three

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes and as i stated the three things mentioned are all different ones of these using the calculator it shows what happens but just looking at the tables it seems you can have all three
Where? You can only have 2 special moves. Battle Defense gives the pet 2. You cant also have another, such as AI.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Where? You can only have 2 special moves. Battle Defense gives the pet 2. You cant also have another, such as AI.
Exactly it should say if you select this you get two things and can't add others it was simply unclear to me but i know you really just were craving my attention

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And didn't i see something about battle defense not appearing until parry 100?
It needs wrestling to be 100 so Parry appears. I assume that is all pets. But if that pet type has parry already.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Body Guard on pets does not work like it does on Players. When you tell the pet to Guard you, it will activate Body Guard when it chooses to. You will see the buff in your buff bar.

Then it reduces damage to both the player and the pet by by 50%. I have never seen the pet lose HP when only I lose HP.
It lasts 60 seconds.

View attachment 130974
I must correct you : pet is loosing HP when with bodyguard on and pet is within 2 tiles. I am attacking UEV , talking it (no damage to pet , I get all the heat) and when bodyguard is on , damage goes to my Sabre tooth tiger.
May be they fixed it after your post or you were not within 2 tiles (you get buff icon no matter what distance to pet is)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I must correct you : pet is loosing HP when with bodyguard on and pet is within 2 tiles. I am attacking UEV , talking it (no damage to pet , I get all the heat) and when bodyguard is on , damage goes to my Sabre tooth tiger.
May be they fixed it after your post or you were not within 2 tiles (you get buff icon no matter what distance to pet is)
I am not one to stand and take damage. Also I was probably shooting myself with another toon with spells. Since I thought this build would be used in PVP. I still don't know why someone does not use this in PvP.

So if you and pet are within 2 tiles the pet does take some of your damage.

How much damage? Put in some numbers or %s and I can edit post. If you feel inclined to test more.

Sabre tooth with healing would be a cool one for PvP.