• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Barter Town

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
https://forum.uo.com/discussion/2707/a-formal-protest-against-the-destruction-of-shard-historical-monuments

Barter Town has come and gone a few times over the years, as players occasionally try to revive the notion of a den of thieves on Siege. Central to all of these attempts was the legend of its creator, and the Barter Town historical monument near Minoc. The existence of this monument occasionally spurs on the imagination of would-be thieves in a land where, as we all know, there are none - and serves as a remembrance for others.

UO Thief | The Mis-adventures of Chad Sexington

UO Thief | Episode 173: Welcome to Barter Town

This has been removed due to the town's current state of dormancy. I have lodged a formal protest on the official site (where Mesanna has a chance of seeing it). I realize that there is very little hope in having this monument restored, but I just wanted to make it known that at least one person cares about the destruction of historical monuments.

As posted there:

Each shard of the gem of immortality has its own unique history. Players, guilds, and towns come and go. Some last long enough to make an impact - to have a monument erected in their honor. These monuments are a part of each shard's distinct history. The players might move on, the towns fade away - but history is history.

These should NOT be removed. Ever.

If one is later found to be blocking house placement - move the monument. If the town or the player that the monument honors is long gone, then so be it. That town was there long enough to become a significant part of its community's history, and tearing down its memorial just because they are gone now is like kicking over a grave stone. Some members of the community who where there when that history was made are still here.

A long standing memorial was recently removed on Siege Perilous. I have not confirmed this, but I have heard this is being done on other shards as well. Is there so little space that these must be destroyed to make room for Sosaria's teeming masses and throngs of player towns?

I appreciate all the hard work that our Dev team does, and I love this world I have called home for many years. However, I am respectfully lodging a formal protest. Please restore our Barter Town monument! (Fix the tree, though, please.)

Larry Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Before I joined TDO I belonged to the thieves guild in Barter Town (I might be one of maybe 2 or 3 left that are still active on the shard) and before that the outsiders. When I had liberated enough items I bought my keep but kept my vendor in Barter Town. I was saddend when the last house and tower fell (before the housing opened up on Siege and people placed a free house).

I do appreciate your efforts Tanager.
Regards
Larry Lee (aka ll)

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should not have taken it down.
If it was blacking placement then move it over. I know of a few on other shards that are still up with no one from the town still there. Heck next to my castle is one and no one that lives in that area is part of that town.

If they remove one then remove them all. Or put it back where it was.

I am always saddened when a pice of UO history is taken away

Sparviero

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm sorry me too to see these pieces of Uo history are taken away :( .... If they are really a problem for placing, they can be moved or replaced with a little stone or monument of one tile engraved, as memory of the town (maybe with name of the town or date if someone remember them ) :Begging:

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well spoken, sir. Chad Sexington is the reason I joined Siege... just so I could be in his guild and adventure with him. We always had fun scouting the world, finding new adventures, then coming up with silly plans on how we were going to get what was in "their" pockets, into ours!

The monument needs to be replaced. It was intentionally placed in a location that was out of the way of any building options. Only a 7x7 might have fit there, but maybe not with the buffer zone requirements.

On a side note, I have updated the look and feel of all of MY adventures ( which Chad Sexington inspired ). They are now mobile friendly so you can share with anyone and lure them into Sosaria! ( link on my banner, as always )

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well spoken, sir. Chad Sexington is the reason I joined Siege... just so I could be in his guild and adventure with him. We always had fun scouting the world, finding new adventures, then coming up with silly plans on how we were going to get what was in "their" pockets, into ours!

The monument needs to be replaced. It was intentionally placed in a location that was out of the way of any building options. Only a 7x7 might have fit there, but maybe not with the buffer zone requirements.

On a side note, I have updated the look and feel of all of MY adventures ( which Chad Sexington inspired ). They are now mobile friendly so you can share with anyone and lure them into Sosaria! ( link on my banner, as always )
IT’S A TRAAAAP

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why isn't more effort being used to find out the who's and why's of it being removed. Someone asked for it, someone did it. Sometimes you have to ask the questions, it's not enough to just react to the results.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I asked at the Governor meeting. It was explained that Mesanna removed it because the town no longer existed. I understand the logic behind this, and it does make room for a new player town and their own monument. But I just feel that these town monuments are nice when the town is active, and then become a memorial when they are gone. Destroying memorials is incredibly disrespectful. There is enough land for new towns, or a town can be built around an existing historical landmark while adding their own monument. Doing so does not dishonor the previous player town, and only enhances the new one. Perhaps some one asked for it to be removed, for whatever reasons, but the end result is that the powers that be did this and only the powers that be have the ability to put it back.

Posting on the official forum is the only way said powers will be aware of the people who want the monument restored - and not just for Siege.

Last edited:

Baby Doll

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tanager, I respect and care of you dearly. I respect what you have said and nicely written. I guess I disagree with you though. If there is no one who can carry the thief tag of Barter town, then let it die. There is a reason that only the strong survive. By your reasoning if Gilfane dies and there is no one around will any one care? For me I would have to say no, if it wasn't important for Gilfane, it certainly is not important to me to maintain it's their legacy!. So I agree with Messanna on this issue! What ever ya do , I wish you well!

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I take lots of pictures, so I can enjoy something later. If some one I cared about in my pictures later passed away, would it be a show of strength to burn all pics with that person in it? Would I be weak if I kept pictures so I could remember them years after they are gone? I am not advocating living in the past and obsessing with what is gone - but an occasional visit to a photo album or cemetery is not defying Darwin. Or in this case, running along the shores of Minoc and smiling fondly as I am reminded of what used to be.

Many people do not remember or care about Barter Town, but I do. When some fresh faced noob would come to Siege and see it, they would sometimes ask, "Hey, who is this Chad Sexington person that this NPC is named for?" And then some old timer got to tell them the tale. The website got a few new views, some one got a few laughs, and a part of Siege's unique history was remembered. Life is full of bad memories - I see no reason to let the good memories die.

pic1.png

*sigh*

But I am a sentimental fool, so I have said my piece and now I am going to move on.

Baby Doll

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay I get that, so lets do a memorial for everyone/guild/alliance that anyone who has a special pic of fond memory of someone or place that they knew in game, in the last 20 years! We want to be fair after all!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Something like that could happen.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a guild on alt that has a graveyard set up with a few fallen memebrs. Was a set graveyard they had gm or em place there names on the stone.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a guild on alt that has a graveyard set up with a few fallen members. Was a set graveyard they had gm or em place there names on the stone.
Fallen UO players is one thing, everyone can get behind that. Chad may or may not have passed, I don't know, didn't know the guy. Apparently he was pretty beloved as he was compared to Abe Lincoln ;-)