• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bards in PVP

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Bard tamer. The most feared PvP template
Well on Origin I'm a bard/Thrower and on Siege I'm a bard/Mage

lets put this perspective from now on your weapon skill doesn't work on other players
or your Mage Skills ....
why cant i Disco you then Provo a GD onto you ?? kinda silly if you ask me

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I always thought it would be awesome to have bards in PvP but I'm assuming this would be a balancing nightmare.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not Trolling everyone says go to Fel get your own PS something i am more than willing to do .... but my template is useless there .....
And how many character slots do you have? Should I be able to imbue armor with my parry mage? Should I be able to farm slithers on my deathstriker? only you CAN work spawns on your bard and not get raided a fair amount of the time. bring guildies to help? you're the only one standing in your way. i find it quite incredible that you think your entitled to everything with one template?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And how many character slots do you have? Should I be able to imbue armor with my parry mage? Should I be able to farm slithers on my deathstriker? only you CAN work spawns on your bard and not get raided a fair amount of the time. bring guildies to help? you're the only one standing in your way. i find it quite incredible that you think your entitled to everything with one template?
wanting my template to be viable is a sense of entitlement ?
I think you are missing my point or just wanting to argue ?

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
he only has one character on Siege, so no additional slots.

@Anon McDougle : this is why soulstones are so popular on Siege. Get a couple and be versatile with the templates you run. You are correct, that full bards are not a great choice for spawns. With the help of 3 soulstones (2 with necro and spirit speak, one empty to switch them for peace and provo) you would be able to switch to necro mage with discordance for example (get 2 skeletal dragons with the necro mastery, have them guard you and wither through spawn while they tear everything that you attack/attacks you to shreds until Barracoon pops. Then discord the champ, sick the skeletal dragons on him and support with animate dead (up to 3 liches from rat mages and archers) and your usual necro combos - will take you 30 minutes from start to finish, sometimes even less).

Soulstone token can either be bought from the ingame store or for gold from players (current rate for them on Siege is 2.5-3 mil)

Hope this helps

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well yes a pure bard would be useless against a player. A 0 mage weapon, nice suit with full EP, planned stats, +skill items, insurance and other check marks could make a bard somewhat decent but you are still gonna lose most fights. If this is a Siege issue I'd pay for a second account and roll the bard as a protector.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Bards are easy to play in PvP.
invis, wait for them to leave and run away.
whats the problem?

you wanting the best of both worlds and that wont happen.
either your a PvP template or your a PvM template, you cant be both.
the best you can hope for with a bard is to invis and run.
or.... if your felling feisty you can start to teleport around the spawn and up on the ledges and invis, get the spawn on the pvp guys and rain down some mind blasts and keep out of reach.
i dont see many pvp mages on siege.

you could always kill off magic and put on something else, like spellweaving or myst.
that would give you more options for offensive spells.

your in a box, you need to think like you where outside that box my friend.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
whats the problem?

or.... if your felling feisty you can start to teleport around the spawn and up on the ledges and invis, get the spawn on the pvp guys and rain down some mind blasts and keep out of reach.

you could always kill off magic and put on something else, like spellweaving or myst.

I understand I really do just wonder how it would go over if mages could not cast on other players or pets wouldn't attack other players your not allowed to swing your sword at that poor guy is there any other template with 480 skill points invested that can only be used for PVM ?

I'm not asking for anything OP here if you have spell resistance my Disco shouldn't affect you much and surely you're not afraid of me provoing a monster on you

I have not yet tested but even my Mastery's can not be used...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone whined a long long time ago about bards being able to use their skills on players and we're where we are. And yes you can use Despair and Trib against players, but it's pretty weak, even if they don't have resist.

TaldarinZPhoenix

Adventurer
Not sure if its still a thing but you used to be able to kill players in fel AFK macro’ing in thier houses with despair even through the wall

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the discordance mastery that does damage over time absolutely works against players
ya but you have to remain close for that to work, hard to do that unless your in a passage doing fields or something such

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
whats the problem?

AS Poo said feeling feisty teleport into the spawn. Any time I was on my bard in Fel at a champ spawn I always run into the heavy spawn and hide as quickly as possible, let them take the heat if they remain in the kitchen to seek this bard out then they better learn to cook

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Discord mastery does a good deal of damage if you can keep in range. Provoke mastery is pure god mode.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I solo'd more Despise spawns than I can count with Necro bard...wither wither wither...while running provo songs...peacemake when it gets hairy....110 sdi.....makes quick work of damn near everything...get to Bara...switch to disco mastery, Trib/Despair, the occasional wither for the pipes, keep him corpse skinned...Fire Horn extra damage, take my scrolls and gold, and go home. I did this many times, during prime time, on Siege, sort of with Bo's permission ;)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not Trolling everyone says go to Fel get your own PS something i am more than willing to do .... but my template is useless there .....
on Origin you have the option of building another toon for pvp or champ spawning...

On Siege you should be grouping with people. Im sure a bard mage is a desirable person to get into a group.

However, I do agree that it would be cool to add in some bard to pvp. Not remotely sure how to balance it but it would be fun to add to the complications of pvp.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If you add bard buffs to pvp you'll get buff bots. If you put range on those buffs you'll get auto-follow buff bots. There is no player skill required in activating or turning off a mastery or song, that's the problem.

Also, some things are a waste of points in PvP. Stealth and hiding, for example. 100 hiding and 120 stealth is rendered useless by Joat tracking and a potion. There are always imbalances, actually play a little and you'll figure it out quick. Jump in, try, do... it's fun too and you'll learn.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mastery's work fine as they are. however
i should be able to use Disco on other players in Fel
i should be able to use Provo on other players in Fel
i am not asking for changes to either skill or even that they work well but the fact that i CAN'T is just not right..
is there any other set of skills that can not be used on another person in Fel ???

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A stealth provo char would be amazing in fel...sorta like the days of setting trapped boxes in the dungeons. Those were always good for a laugh.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Great! at yew there are.... chickens.... i think ive seen a mongbat. An occasional priest of mondain...

Edit:

Take herding to 100, and stealth herd mobs to other players, save 140 skill points on music/provo
Herding is only able to be used on "tameable" mobs... but yes, if there were Greater dragons, or balrons etc spawning at yew gate People wouldn't be pvping there...

it would also be closer to 240 skill points for music/provo =p

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
lets wait until they fix things like taming/exploited pets and so many others things. pub 100 barley hits all the bugs and other issues. we need the next 3 or 4 pubs to fix things and improve game. bards are good for pvp with the buffs the others get. too bad they are mainly used with multi chars though, sad.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most legit PvP temp ever

100 Begging
100 Forensics
100 Item ID
100 Tasted ID
100 Camping
100 Herding
120 Fishing

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most legit PvP temp ever

100 Begging
100 Forensics
100 Item ID
100 Tasted ID
100 Camping
100 Herding
120 Fishing
I really feel that begging is OP and shouldn’t be allowed in fel at all.
Also herding should be capped at no more than 2 followers in fel.

These skills have ruined pvp imho

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd settle for 3 followers in Fel, but totally agree that Begging is OP especially if they have Glacial Hair.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree

Also the europa gold apron and/ or robe needs nerfed as well on GM camping way to OP

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Speaking of OP lets talk about sturdy Shovels i can dig with out equipping this OP Item while holding a spell book or weapon