• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Bard suit...help needed

nottmwizard

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

I am not sure this is the right place to post this and if it isn't I apologise.

I do not have a crafter character and find myself in need of an imbued armour suit for my bard. I would like as much MR, MI, 100% LRC, LMC as possible and to top it all off all resists at 70.

I am not sure of the cost of materials and the length of time and effort it would require to make such a suit but if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I have some gold to cover costs but would need a quote up front to ensure I can afford it.

Shezzy

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably not going to get many answers. You can get a suit that fits that description (mostly) for like a couple of hundred thousand to 10's of millions of gold, it really depends on what YOU are willing to put into it.

1. Basic craft/imbue- don't go to maxes so you don't use rare ingreds
2. Similar to 1 except - imbue maxes
3. Spend hours crafting pieces, imbue maxes
4. Spend hours crafting pieces of base leather, imbue, enhance with horned/barbed
5. Same as 4, but use forged metal of artifacts.

Also, if you have the gold, you might want to look into reforging. Reforge 1, 2 or even 3 of the pieces, the imbue the rest to make up the lacking resist.

Really, the suit is limited by the gold you have to spend.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did a bard suit for a commission job a while ago. I started out with the artifats I knew the client wanted. lucky for me there was only one, hat of the magi.

OK so the next thing i did was make a spreadsheet (i deleted it about a week ago sadly) I put in the base resists for leather armour.... then i added to each line the barbed resist bonus... this gives you the base + modified resists for each piece... then I allocated the 20 exp bonus resist (with armslore) to each line , gloves,gorg,tunic,sleevs,legs until I was as close to all 70's as possible. From there I made sure that where I was going to be imbing a resist i didn't allocate any of the exp bonus points!

OK now for the fun part! i crafted around 1000 of each piece in normal leather. I then went through them all and sorted out the ones that matched the exact resist spread i needed, out of 1000 pieces on each armour part there were around 3 or 4! as you can tell its totally random, you could get the right spread first try, you might make 500 before you get it... its worth sticking at it.

OK so I now have 4/5 of the exact resist pieces that i need... its important to have a few of each as reforging, while more structured is still somewhat randomn.

I used a horned kit and selected mystic / sorc AND Arcane of Wizardry until I had 4 Pieces with MR4 LMC 10 LRC 20 and Mana in 8-10
for the 5th piece I didn't need any LMC as I had capped it out. so the final piece had MR 4 LRC 20 and I used the remainig weight to bring the resists to all 70's as there was very little I could add to the others, i still added a few points on the other pieces where the item weight allowed though to make sure i hit the all important all 70's

from here I used a forget metal tool to enhance with barbed (1 piece I used horned as the resists went a bit iffy as i couldn't imbue exactly as i wanted hehe)

then I made a set of jewels and added in a LT sash as requested and a shrowd of the condemned. for the apron slot the guy used a Tangle (i would have gone crimmy personally for the extra HP but it was his choise) I forget which talisman he used but i think it was a conj trinket.

An easier option than making a mege suit , depending on your character might be to run in wraith form and leech your mana using your wep or spells... jus a tip. the guy I made the suit for provided the arties for the suit but still gave me 90 mil for the suit even though I asked for a fair bit less, the work that went into it was insane but I was very proud once it was done!!

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK now for the fun part! i crafted around 1000 of each piece in normal leather. I then went through them all and sorted out the ones that matched the exact resist spread i needed, out of 1000 pieces on each armour part there were around 3 or 4! as you can tell its totally random, you could get the right spread first try, you might make 500 before you get it... its worth sticking at it.
I generally don't craft that many pieces. I craft normal leather, imbue, use forged metal tool, then enhance. I start with the same logic that you use though.

If you are making 6 pieces of normal leather (2-4-3-3-3 base with 2-1-2-3-4 bonus from barbed) you will get the following before exceptional bonus from arms lore:
24-30-30-36-42
Subtract that from 70-70-70-70-70 and you find that you need the exceptional and imbues to cover
46-40-40-34-28

That means you need the added resists from exceptional bonus / imbues to cover 188 resists for an all 70's suit.
The max resist after imbuing for each category on medable pleather is 17-19-18-18-18 (base resist +15). This means if you were able to craft such that no exceptional resists were wasted, you would only need 68 resists from imbues. As you can see, you will need a minimum of 5 imbues to cover that gap. Resist property weight is 100. The other properties/values/weights you want are
LMC=8=110
LRC=20=100
MI=8=110
MR=2=100

If you decided to go with only imbuing this on five pieces (most expensive as you will need full special materials x5 instead of being able to reduce the cost spreading on 6) this would give you 420 property weight before resists allowing a max 5th property for the resist imbue of +12. This would leave only 8 resists to cover on your 6th armor piece (assume also add 2MR and 8MI). However, you could also choose pieces which had 1 resist from the exceptional bonus added to a resist that you would imbue and still be able to use only 6 imbues total to reach your 70's suit with 100 LRC and 40 LMC, 48 MI, and 12 MR.

The big expense on this would be PoF (applied before any imbues), seeds of renewal (MR 2 requires 10), essence of order (LMC 8 requires 10), luminescent fungi (MI 8 requires 10), fairy dust (LRC 20 requires 10), and full resist imbue (+15 resist requires 10 boura pelt). You can harvest all of those ingredients yourself to control costs. The only two that are really time consuming are the seeds of renewal and essence of order, in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm following this post with much interest as I plan to craft a very similar suit for my peace/tamer very soon (as soon as i get to 120 imbue and manage to get some barbed runic )

Anyway I wondered if I could make this same suit but with a little change, I would prefer to have luck instead of MI and wondered if I could apply the exact same pattern just by switching both and in that case with which intensity of luck in each piece ?
Or if I have to change the order in which I imbue the pieces to fit luck instead of MI ?

It's a shame though, the ingredient I have most is luminescent fungi as I have been collecting wood with my GM lumberjack :p

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
jeza: Depending on whether you want a Luck suit (100 imbued + 40 from enhancement) or a LUCK suit (150 luck from reforging, with or without getting a forged metal tool as to enhance further), changes things up a bit.

You can't use Barbed kits to get Luck from Reforging, except as a random property.

Personally, I'm happy on my Provo/Disco Tamer with luck in the 900s (before using the luck statue for 700 more), and gear that makes me 70/70/70/70/75, LMC 35%, and over 150 mana with his racial bonuses (And 8 MR). I have my jewelry at 3 skills at around 13-15 each, on both pieces, so that I end up with a template that is 6x120 (tame/lore/vet/music/disco/provo) plus 106 Magery, with Vet and Provo being 120 without equipment. I find being able to have 2 bard skills at 120 gives me a lot more flexibility than simply piling on more mage-oriented properties or Luck that's never seemed to work right. The suit's a mix of runic/imbued pieces, the crafted song woven mantle sleeves, a few event items (Leurocian's mempo, the 140 luck halloween robe, Tome of Lost Knowledge), a library talisman and Tangle. It's far from optimized, and I sometimes wonder what I could get if I replaced a couple of the pieces (especially the shield, which isn't even runic, just some old pre-SA order shield enhanced with DC for the physical resist).

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basara you have given me much to think about !
Being able to have peace/disco at 120 on my tamer would be great bonus !

the suit you have is exactly what I'm looking for, I want to have enough mana to cast bard masteries without them draining my mana in about 20 seconds flat but at the same time I don't need as many mana than a mage as I don't cast that much.

I run with 1200 luck at the moment and though I could do with a little bit less if it would mean having another skill on my template beside what i already have I wouldn't want to do without any at all.

Luck may not work as it should but it still has a huge effect on loot and artifact drop. I usually go with my tamer and my mage to the same places, my tamer has 1200 luck, my mage maybe 200 and the difference in what I get is huge.

Since I've been back to UO (less than a month) my tamer got something like 8 artifacts where my mage got 1.
Also if I give a bag of 100 items looted by my mage in shame lvl 1 to my imbuer to unravel I'll get back maybe 1 relic fragment at most, if any at all, where the same quantity of items from my tamer will get me 10 to 20.

So Luck is a must have for me, but of course a suit that keeps you alive and allow you to kill stuff is the most important, you won't loot anything if you're dead or can't kill your target :p

I have the 140 luck robe and also use swords of prosperity (just for the 200 luck as I have 0 swordsman skills) and a set of ring/brace "blue" something that gives me 400 more luck and a nice FC/FCR.

The ring/brace should have to go, and probably the swords too but my suit only has 90 luck for each piece so if I push it to 150 (on my new suit I mean) it would compensate nicely.
Or maybe I could just keep what I have (ring/brace, swords and robe) and imbue skills on my new suit... is that even possible ?
I have HP increase on all the pieces of my armor suit and even though it's nice I probably could do without as anyway a tamer isn't supposed to get hit that much.

Aren't there some sandals that give luck also ? And what is the mempo you were talking about, I seem to remember that I was looking for it before I stopped playing 4 years ago but it was too expensive. Now I don't remember exactly what the characteristics were...

semmerset

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want high luck,you do reforging(150 luck ) and enhanced.
luck190X7(head.sleeves.grove,legging,chest,weapon,sheild)
You need lrc and all 70 resist,it can.
My tamer's luck suits have lrc,lmc and 65-75 resist.

You want MR3 piece,its not hard,and it have remain 350 property weight(imbuing).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One thing for a bard is that if you're willing to compensate with other pieces (and be an elf), the song woven mantle craftable elven sleeves, it has +10 music and 100 luck, 5% DCI and 51 resists. That gives a little more room to play with on Jewelry, especially if you have other things that aren't imbuable/reforgable that have small amounts of DCI (the Conjurer's Garb, Tangle, etc.)

In the suit I described above, I have no reforged items, and only two items enhanced to 140 luck (my tunic, enhanced with spined, and my circlet, enhanced with gold - Circlets are an EXCELLENT alternative to hats or leather caps, as they are enhancable with gold, which gives better resists than spined AND don't look hideous).

Of 900 luck, 300 comes from one item (the event mempo), 140 from the robe (you can always just go for 95 on the cheap if you don't have one, or go with the non-luck version for the DCI and MR), 140 from my tunic, 140 from the circlet, and 100 from the SWM sleeves. That's 820, with 5 slots (6 if holding a weapon instead of a spellbook) that theoretically could have luck (shield, gloves, legs, bracelet, jewelry), but only one does (and it only has 100 because I enhanced with barbed for resists). A 150 luck shield and holding a 140 or 150 luck weapon, even without enhancing these reforged items, would put me over 1200 and still have 4 pieces with room for improvement.

lastly, never underestimate what one reforged item with 90+ resists will allow you to do, in terms of the room to imbue other other items with non-resist properties, even if the resists are the only properties the item has.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lastly, never underestimate what one reforged item with 90+ resists will allow you to do, in terms of the room to imbue other other items with non-resist properties, even if the resists are the only properties the item has.
Quoted for truth.

Look at it this way. There are 5 resist. 70 x 5 = 350. If you have 90 resist on 1 piece, that leaves (350-90) 260 for 5 pieces.

Say using leather (15 total resist) with spined (5 resist) and the bonuses from arms lore (5) and exceptional (15) that comes up to 40. For the other 5 pieces of armor that totals 200. Which leaves 60 points, which can be made up in pretty much 3 imbues.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Song woven mantle, I have been looking for the recipe for ages and only got the usual quiver ones :(
As soon as I get it you can be sure I'll craft one and use it with pleasure !
Is there one of the tailor quests that would have more chances to give me the woven recipe ?

In the meantime I'll go re read some posts about reforging to make sure I got it right .... and go try it on test shard ;)

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gorbs

Hi man,

The reason I craft so many is to give me a "base peice" pool if I am making a suit I generally have very specific things I need on there and even more specific resist spreads. reason I make so many is so I can go through and pick out all the ones that match my base pieces and then have several attempts at reforging... It could be done by just crafting one at a time but I just find it easier and less annoying to go through a big batch of them and save all the ones I can use for that suit... the rest of them are either used to make pieces for my vendor or donated. I pick out all the ones that have decent resists and attempt to enhance them (without tool) . if i do it i then imbue lrc/mana inc to the poit before I need major ingreds and add MR1 then take 2 (1 if its woodland ar) resists to 1 point before it needs pelts... the finished piece will generally have 3 resists at around 10 and 2 at 15-16 ... i pop em on a vendor at 100k per piece so people can build budget LRC suits.... to date I have made around 80m off the vendor so I guess I make extra so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone :)

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RazicGL
That makes sense. I haven't found the time to build a full suit through reforging, but want to do so to get eaters and overcapped MR on a few pieces. I'm sure I'll find most success following your advice on that as if you are reforging you definitely want a bigger pool as the properties you get are not guaranteed.

For imbuing, the point I was hoping to get across was that you would need a minimum of 5 resist imbues (to leather armor that will be enhanced with barbed) to reach all 70's. With that knowledge, you can waste up to 7 total resists from the arms lore and exceptional bonus spread across the pieces and still cover it in just those 5 imbues. This allows your pieces to be almost perfect and (hopefully) requires fewer be created.