• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Bard masteries very unimpressive

C

Crimson Crow

I just got on TC and tried out the new bard masteries, and I have to say, in their current state I don't think I'd ever use them seriously. Maybe I'd sometimes use Despair to kill a vampire bat or something, but the mana costs involved are quite prohibitive for all of the mastery abilities. To be seriously useful, they have to either be powerful enough to be worth blowing huge amounts of mana on, which they currently aren't, or capable of lasting significantly longer than they currently do (which would probably mean rebalancing them). As things stand, they're just not worth the mana as compared to supporting your party by healing/curing/blessing or attacking the enemy with traditional damage spells.

Also, the quests to get them? I have only one word for those, and that word is :lame:

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do agree, for dmg its just better to stick to the usual mage spells and use less mana.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
actually I think that these spells are really usefull if used in the right way. The main thing that everyone think is: "I take my bard with my new spells and I wandering alone". But this spells are designed for party uses, if you use it alone are almost useless (if you are a tamer is different).

C

Crimson Crow

That's not what I was thinking. I was thinking that the benefits are sure to wear off long before any serious enemy is dead, meaning they help your party for a tiny fraction of the battle and then you're out of mana and can't heal/cure/res/whatever them. This issue is compounded by the fact that upkeep cost increases proportional to how many people are being affected, as if the base cost wasn't bad enough. Also, I'm pretty sure the effects don't apply to followers (pets and such).

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes the effects apply to pets.
LMC also applies to upkeep and cast cost.

See Bard forum for mana cost breakdown stats.

T

Tinsil

Ew.. I was thinking these would be like passive, one-time cast things to use?

They actually take mana to cast and don't even last that long? :(

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMHO are too powerfull for being a one time casting spell (like protection)

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah, im just not too crazy about support skills in general personally. i believe disco and peace are enough of that on there own.
its also sounding a little complicated for something the seems hollow

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got on TC and tried out the new bard masteries, and I have to say, in their current state I don't think I'd ever use them seriously. Maybe I'd sometimes use Despair to kill a vampire bat or something, but the mana costs involved are quite prohibitive for all of the mastery abilities. To be seriously useful, they have to either be powerful enough to be worth blowing huge amounts of mana on, which they currently aren't, or capable of lasting significantly longer than they currently do (which would probably mean rebalancing them). As things stand, they're just not worth the mana as compared to supporting your party by healing/curing/blessing or attacking the enemy with traditional damage spells.

Also, the quests to get them? I have only one word for those, and that word is :lame:
Agreed on all points. I do understand the reasoning behind the quests though, considering that you'll have to do them repeatedly so they should be easy. The healer/rabbit quest is my least favorite as it's not easy to find rabbits and healers near each other.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
cant you buy rabbits and then just have them follow you to a healer? (not in game but i thought you could buy rabbits)

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
new haven has all targets you need for the quests, the rabbit healer one was very easy there. i managed to finish it without leaving one screen

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great ideas Storm and yars. Felucca players don't have New Haven, so maybe buying the rabbits is a good option.