• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] Barbed runic kit question

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have read so many threads on creating/enhancing that my head is spinning and I still don't understand, so please have a bit of patience with my question... thx

I have never had a tailor before, but have "inherited" an account from a family member that passed away. This account includes a legendary tailor and a Barbed runic kit.

I want to use the kit to create (or enhance) some "medable" high resist armor. My question is this:

Do I use the barbed kit to create the armor from barbed leather or do I use it to enhance leather armor that has already been created or dropped from a monster?

For you tailors out there I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but I can't help it. I have done as much searching as I can stand. Please just advise me.

thx again

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Runic kits: creating armor
Normal kits (well, any kits): Enhancing armor

Enhancing ONLY adds the leather type's properties, no matter what tool used.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Runic kits: creating armor
Normal kits (well, any kits): Enhancing armor

Enhancing ONLY adds the leather type's properties, no matter what tool used.
So I should use the Barbed Runic kit to Create armor... That's the best use of it?

J

Jermosh

So I should use the Barbed Runic kit to Create armor... That's the best use of it?
Its the only one that I can think of, you would just want to use your different leathers to make certain gear since you will risk destroying the piece if you attempt to enhance it later for a good piece. Like if you made a barbed gloves with 100 luck, if you used plain leather you would almost always destroy it by trying to enhance it, RNG is sadistic in this way.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its the only one that I can think of, you would just want to use your different leathers to make certain gear since you will risk destroying the piece if you attempt to enhance it later for a good piece. Like if you made a barbed gloves with 100 luck, if you used plain leather you would almost always destroy it by trying to enhance it, RNG is sadistic in this way.
So then, for instance, when I see a piece of leather armor with 135 luck ( for example ), then that was an item that dropped from a monster and originally had 95 luck and was enhanced by a tailor to the 135?

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So then, for instance, when I see a piece of leather armor with 135 luck ( for example ), then that was an item that dropped from a monster and originally had 95 luck and was enhanced by a tailor to the 135?
That is correct

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That is correct
Actually, depends.

If the item is Exceptional, it was probably crafted by a runic tool (any type) using spined leather.

Any time you see a leather armor piece that ISN'T exceptional, it was loot.

You always craft with the leather that best suits your target suit, when using a runic tool -

So, if you want luck, you use Spined Leather

If you want resists, you use horned or barbed leather.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, depends.

If the item is Exceptional, it was probably crafted by a runic tool (any type) using spined leather.

Any time you see a leather armor piece that ISN'T exceptional, it was loot.

You always craft with the leather that best suits your target suit, when using a runic tool -

So, if you want luck, you use Spined Leather

If you want resists, you use horned or barbed leather.
Yes but you cannot make an exceptional piece of armor with spined leather at 135 luck. That has to be an enhancement from a monster drop.

R

RichDC

Yes but you cannot make an exceptional piece of armor with spined leather at 135 luck. That has to be an enhancement from a monster drop.
Yes you can!!!

You can make armour with 140 luck 20%lrc LMC 8...blah blah blah.

IF you get lucky

You can make non spined armour with 100luck! Using spined gives you a +40 luck boost(the base property of spined, same as using gold)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I make them all the time. In fact, since the 2008 runic changes I even collect the BODs to get Spined runics to just attempt luck/LRC suits.

J

Jermosh

I make them all the time. In fact, since the 2008 runic changes I even collect the BODs to get Spined runics to just attempt luck/LRC suits.
I made some sleeves last week with 138luck, 19 LRC, 2MR, and nice resists(forget the actual #s). It completed my 1200 Luck, 100LRC and Full resist suit including Songwoven pants.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm my legendary tailor must suck then because I have never gotten anything above 99 on a luck piece (unless it was enhanced from a monster drop)

And yes I ha e used every runic known to man along with spined leather

K

Kallie Pigeon

Hmm my legendary tailor must suck then because I have never gotten anything above 99 on a luck piece (unless it was enhanced from a monster drop)

And yes I ha e used every runic known to man along with spined leather
Yeah that's right your tailor sucks. :) I made about 20 or so peices over 100 with one 140 gorget using about 4 spined runics.

J

Jermosh

http://www.uoherald.com/guide/guide.php?guideId=130

Any luck draw cn be between 40-100% with a max of 100 for the item bonus, this is then added to the material bonus which is 40 for Spined. Its not hard to get High end luck peices with a spined kit, you just wont get other adders. Its sorta like making slayers with a DC hammer.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that's right your tailor sucks. I made about 20 or so peices over 100 with one 140 gorget using about 4 spined runics.
LoL nice. No need do be an ass...I mean really? Your momma should teach you some manners.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Kallie's response is downright tame, compared to another response from someone I gave a warning to, and got rid of their reply.

Still, consider this to be a warning, Kallie... At least, if you menat that humerously, put a smiley in there somewhere....

K

Kallie Pigeon

LoL nice. No need do be an ass...I mean really? Your momma should teach you some manners.
Sorry I was just kidding. No offense meant. But it seems like you gave up too soon or something. Perhaps having arms lore might make a difference? Again I meant it like a joke. Sorry to have bothered you.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry I was just kidding. No offense meant. But it seems like you gave up too soon or something. Perhaps having arms lore might make a difference? Again I meant it like a joke. Sorry to have bothered you.
Not a problem. I do have arms lore. I tried many times...guess I just don't have good luck :p

K

Kallie Pigeon

I may be the other side of the story from you. I did make around 20 or so items with over 100 luck and a gorget with 140 luck with 4 spined runics

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every Spined runic kit I burn (using Spined leather of course) I typically get 2+ pieces with over 130 luck. Anything lower than 130 I just recycle.

O

OnePercent

I too am new to this skill - Tailoring.

My question is very simple, and I am sure I have read it in the 100's or words on tailoring but I just want to be sure .....

So if I use a runic sewing kit ... I use the same matching leather while using the kit ???

Or

Do I use plain leather when using a runic sewing kit ?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Neither...

You use what leather best complements the item you are trying to make.

So, if you are trying to make items with high luck, you make them from spined leather, regardless of the Runic Sewing kit Type.

IF you want armor to have high energy resist, or highest possible total resists, barbed leather is better.

If higher fire resist is desired, horned leather works best, as despite having 1 less total resist than barbed, it gives more fire resist per piece.

All the "leather color" of the kits do is show the relative power level of the crafting tool, not what to use.

Oh, and NEVER craft clothing or items out of regular leather with runics, at least how it stands now. Clothing can't have runic properties (even the hats, which have resists normally), and you'll just break things if you try to enhance them after crafting. Once Stygian Abyss comes out, you MAY be able to make things as good with normal leather, then imbuing them, as you would with colored leather, but that's still a crapshoot (and, then, you'll still almost sure to break the items when you try to enhance with the colored leathers).

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Neither...

You use what leather best complements the item you are trying to make.

So, if you are trying to make items with high luck, you make them from spined leather, regardless of the Runic Sewing kit Type.

IF you want armor to have high energy resist, or highest possible total resists, barbed leather is better.

If higher fire resist is desired, horned leather works best, as despite having 1 less total resist than barbed, it gives more fire resist per piece.

All the "leather color" of the kits do is show the relative power level of the crafting tool, not what to use.

Oh, and NEVER craft clothing or items out of regular leather with runics, at least how it stands now. Clothing can't have runic properties (even the hats, which have resists normally), and you'll just break things if you try to enhance them after crafting. Once Stygian Abyss comes out, you MAY be able to make things as good with normal leather, then imbuing them, as you would with colored leather, but that's still a crapshoot (and, then, you'll still almost sure to break the items when you try to enhance with the colored leathers).
Thanks, thanks, thanks Basara. Now I completly understand, finally. That makes perfect sense.
And BTW, I have read thread after thread and info on Stratics and UO and this is the first time that this has been explained.
And I assume that the same logic - regarding using the best resourse for the outcome also applies to runic hammers for my blacksmith.

Thanks again,
Startle

K

Kallie Pigeon

And I assume that the same logic - regarding using the best resourse for the outcome also applies to runic hammers for my blacksmith.
Yes that's true, the type of runic has nothing to do with the material you use to make things with. Also true that Basara likely knows the answer to any of your questions.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes that's true, the type of runic has nothing to do with the material you use to make things with. Also true that Basara likely knows the answer to any of your questions.
Excellent...

Thanks again to you both... I finally understand.

T

thelust6

Hm with the changes to the intensities of kits and hammers it sounds like a good idea to burn through spined and horned kits in hope of 140 luck/lrc/lmc combo gloves arms and legs :D x

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hm with the changes to the intensities of kits and hammers it sounds like a good idea to burn through spined and horned kits in hope of 140 luck/lrc/lmc combo gloves arms and legs :D x
They are lowering the intensities again with the release of SA? I must have missed that piece of info in all the threads about imbuing. Or maybe I just neglected to see it. Hmm - *looks over the pile of runics and kits saved up and sighs*

Use or save, use or save...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Could be that thelust6 only recently discovered the changes of 18 moths ago....