• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bakes vs Mares and a monkey.

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Put your money where your mouth is!

Well, I'm not going to get into an argument here, but I've hunted extensively with both, and from what I've seen, in general, a mare will kill faster than a bake. And just to confirm this I took a look at the Stratics pages from the Hunter's Guide. Nightmares do significantly more damage per hit.

Even with the bake's special attack Nightmares kill faster in my experience. And there is also something going on defensively, I don't know whether bakes don't have any parry skill, while nightmares do, but I find that bakes aren't any easier to keep alive than nightmares, in spite of the fact that their resists are significantly better.

I think bakes might well be the most overrated pet in the game. And before you suggest that it is because I have a sucky bake, I have a very good bake (4.4 or 4.5 on the pet calculator), and it is fully trained. My bake actually rates higher than my mare.
To end this Bakes Vs Mares debate, can we have a tamer tourney?

Would have to be on a lively shard like atlantic - I'm sure you guys can figure out some ground rules...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Put your money where your mouth is!

To end this Bakes Vs Mares debate, can we have a tamer tourney?

Would have to be on a lively shard like atlantic - I'm sure you guys can figure out some ground rules...
I'll take a Kitsune any day. The Kitsune has a 1 point less in it's low end base damage according to the Hunter's Guide. Top end of the base range is identical so that is really a moot point.

Either way this is a moot argument, there is no all around superior pet, not Cu Sidhe, not Greater Dragons (Which really suck other than being meat shields btw), not Bake Kitsune, or Nightmares. Each type of tamable is good against a certain selection of mobs and weak against others.

Tell you what though I'd put my pack of Frenzied ostards up against both the Kit and the Mare.

***Edit***

Stinky wants to face the winner!

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Either way this is a moot argument, there is no all around superior pet, not Cu Sidhe, not Greater Dragons (Which really suck other than being meat shields btw), not Bake Kitsune, or Nightmares.

Stinky wants to face the winner!
This we know, different tools for different jobs, but for general use in conjunction with a rune beetle as a damage provider?

Bake 15 - 22 HP, 70% Physical Damage, 30% Energy Damage
Mare 16 - 22 HP, 40% Physical Damage, 40% Fire Damage, 20% Energy Damage

This is the issue I'm trying to address in a fun way :eek:)

I'm not sure which one is incorrect but uoguide.com has a nightmare's base attack damage listed as 16-22 while stratics says 52-70. Both have bake's shown as 32-45. One of these sources is wrong.

At first I was thinking it was only showing the physical % of the damage on the hunter's guide but part of bake's damage is energy and the same number shows on both sites.

/shrug idk but from my experience i've seen better damage from bakes.

I believe the 16-22 number is the unmodified number you see on the pet lore gump, while the 52-70 and 32-45 are the damage numbers modified by str. The nightmare has much higher str than the bake.

Go kill something with a lot of hit points, like the sphinx, and time how long it takes both a bake and a nightmare to kill it solo. If you actually use a stop watch I am just about certain you will see on average that the nightmare kills faster than the bake, and I think it kills significantly faster.

> There's obviously a bit of rivalry between the bake and mare crews... can't we turn that into some fun is all?

No need to piddle on my fire ^_^

Your pack of frenzieds bare no relevance in the context of this thread below:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=196853

Peace dude, thanks for the input - i hould have explained my thoughts/intentions a little more completely.

So again, peeps, bakes or mares and why?
Any atlantic/europa tamers willing to setup a toruney?

Garm.