• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) Baja Public Harrower - 8/6/2010 5 - 6 PM PST

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Howdy folks!

Cartel, K!T and GHT are proud to host a public Harrower on Baja!

In the interest of drumming up more activity on Baja, and in Felucca in particular, we will be spawning a public Harrower. We welcome any guild and any individual to come and spawn with us. Join us for what should be a great time!

As is usual, there are a few ground rules:

1. Do not attack other players. If you attack other players and don't stop, you will be attacked. Do remember that certain area effects and fields will flag as criminal and may not be indicative of an actual attack. Use your best judgment.

2. Please make sure that your suit and all important items are insured. It will be difficult to track who loses what and nobody can guarantee the return of items.

3. There will not be a meeting place before the Harrower is spawned. Please have a runebook with Felucca dungeon runes marked and ready. The location of the Harrower will be broadcasted on Global Chat through the General Channel as soon as it has been spawned.

Please keep in mind that griefing and attacking other players only damages you and your guilds' reputations as well as that of Baja's. There will be no hard-line rules against this, as conflict is often unavoidable in Fel, but the goal is to create a fun environment for all.

For many players attending this, it may be their first time engaging a Harrower.

Please show respect to others and keep in mind the ultimate goal of creating a more vibrant and community-oriented Baja. A Baja Shard reporter should be on hand to cover the event.

Any questions? Just leave them in this thread.

S

Slugs hate Mongbats

I will there on my mage - but strictly in a healing (or rezzing if necessary) capacity. I would like like to see ppl who do not often get a chance to enjoy this kind of activity walk away with the scrolls :thumbup1:

Z

Zanthes[EcZ]

Thanks Ken and the others... (Cartel, K!T and GHT)

Sounds like fun and will definitely try to make it! Weather may cooperate!

Go Baja!

Elevere Zanthes
Elf Clan Zanthes

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so raiding you, all your scrolls belong to us :p
*ROFL* Be sure to take LOTS of screenshots for me because I won't be able to make it on Friday. :sad4: The hubby and I are heading down to our AZ home to do some projects so I won't be ingame until next Monday. I hate to miss this event but if it turns out well, maybe there will be others. :thumbup1: You know what would be hilarious is if the Girl Scouts raided you all. I'd pay good gold to see that one. Have fun everyone and I really love the idea that you're doing this for the shard to keep it active and fun! Good job! *curtsy*

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally I am glad somebody step up to the plate and my hat off to the ones that are sponsoring this. Great job guys and gals :) Hell I may reactivate my accounts to help out in defence if needed.

S

Slugs hate Mongbats

thumbup1: You know what would be hilarious is if the Girl Scouts raided you all.
[Sluggy Freelance] * I was killed by a Girl Scout !! * hmmm yeah I could actually see that happening too *keeps a close eye out for girl scouts*

C

Chango of Baja

Lets show that we can put aside our differences and HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! I will be on my Dexxer Ausar.Helping to keep the peace and keep it fun for all :)

Chango Leader of The Ka-Tet

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey! This sounds like fun! This looks to be a great opportunity for all. SI will be there to provide cross-heals, rezzes, supplies, gates, and any other help that is needed. SI members have been instructed to NOT attack the Harrower in-order to allow other Baja members who don’t have easy access to Harrowers a chance to fully enjoy the experience and have a chance at the STAT scrolls.

I do have a question for clarification. Who or what guild(s) are responsible for leading this? Who is organizing, dropping skulls, leading the group? With this massive, shard-wide Harrower Event I would assume somebody is calling the shots and going to be responsible for letting the rest of the shard know where the Harrower is, and keeping us all informed so nobody gets left out.

Thanks and looking forward to it! :)

Girl Scout Edith

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings All!

Baja Girl Scout Troop 1 will be joining in! We don't know what raiding a spawn is but it sounds like fun. Maybe next time you could show us how to do that Mama Faith?

Mr. SuperKen we thank you for opening this up to everyone.

*Salutes*
Girl Scout Edith
Baja Girl Scout Troop 1

Sally_Elena

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to cartel, k!t, and ght guilds for hosting this. If anyone needs any insurance money I would be glad to give ya some just let me know!

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People that are readiing this may want to go to the pvp forums and read a few posts at the end of page 3. I asked some serious questions because of a possible conflict. I think the shard has a right to chime in on what they may not be reading since all players dont pvp.

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings All!

Baja Girl Scout Troop 1 will be joining in! We don't know what raiding a spawn is but it sounds like fun. Maybe next time you could show us how to do that Mama Faith?

Mr. SuperKen we thank you for opening this up to everyone.

*Salutes*
Girl Scout Edith
Baja Girl Scout Troop 1
You stealth in while everyone is in the midst of battle, reveal yourself and yell, "RAID". They'll be so busy laughing that you'll be able to take over the spawn. At least, that's my experience with it. *wink*

S

Slugs hate Mongbats

Hmmm ... and Rex did say "all your scrolls are belong to us" All I know is if he shows up in Girl Scout uniform ... I'll just hand him my scrolls and walk away *shudders at the thought*

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm ... and Rex did say "all your scrolls are belong to us" All I know is if he shows up in Girl Scout uniform ... I'll just hand him my scrolls and walk away *shudders at the thought*
"wearing garders doesn't make me ... does it ? feels kinda sexy." -Ebby Calvin 'Nuke' LaLoosh

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks all for the compliments and interest shown in the event.

The aim of this Harrower is to drum up interest in Fel on Baja, as well as creating a more community-oriented Baja. We hope that all manners of folks will come by to help out; who knows, some of us may be making new friends.

We do not expect that there won't be some chaos and confusion at this Harrower. Nor do we expect that all 32 Stat Scrolls will be collected by the spawners. This Harrower isn't about efficiency but rather an introduction to many who have never had a chance to spawn and defeat a Harrower. We hope that this introduction will serve in whetting folks' appetite to conduct and spawn their own Harrowers without the expected mistakes that might be found at this one.

There have been a few questions about the organization of this Harrower, so I figured I'd slap together a small tutorial.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Preparation

A Harrower can be completed, from start to finish, in about 15 minutes or less. This is not what we expect for this Harrower; an hour should be enough time for mistakes to be made, people to get lost, and the Harrower to finally be defeated.

1. Make sure your suit and important items are insured. Ensure that there is gold in the bank to pay for insurance, and do make sure that you are auto-insured. The Harrower will drop approx. 1 million in gold upon its defeat, so carrying a Bag of Sending in your pack may be a good idea as well.

Please see the following link for more information:
http://www.uoguide.com/Insurance

2. Have a runebook ready with the following Fel Dungeon runes:

* Covetous
* Deceit
* Despise
* Destard
* Fire Dungeon
* Hythloth
* Shame
* Terathan Keep Underground
* Wrong

Cartel and other folks will be on hand to keep a gate open at Luna that will lead to the correct dungeon. The correct dungeon will be broadcasted on Global Chat in the General channel as soon as its location is known. Expect a start time nearer to 5 PM PST than 6 PM PST.

3. Protection - 16 Stat Scrolls are available from the Harrower. Another 16 possible Stat Scrolls are available to those that use the Justice Virtue (known as Protection scrolls). The caveat to this is that those who use the Justice Virtue cannot attack the Harrower directly. Damage to the Harrower by those invoking the Justice Virtue may result in those individuals getting Stat Scrolls of their own, which are not included in the 16 additional Protection scrolls.

You may be asked to accept Protection through a small gump by those who are invoking the Justice Virtue. It is your choice whether or not to accept but please do accept. Refusal of the gump (choosing "I can protect myself!") will result in the person who is invoking the Justice Virtue unable to offer Protection to anyone else for 15 minutes. If you wish to cancel after having accepting Protection, use the context menu on yourself to "Cancel Protection". This can be done with no 15 minute penalty to those invoking the Justice Virtue.

Please be aware that if you lose connection and log back into UO, your protection will have been broken and it will need to be reapplied by anyone. Those with their Justice Virtue at the highest level, Knight, will have a 100% of receiving a random duplicate scroll of those that are being protected.

Please see the following link for more information:
http://www.uoguide.com/Justice

4. For those of you with more questions or just a lot of free time, more information can be found at the following link:
http://www.uoguide.com/Harrower

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
II. Defeating the Harrower

The Harrower comes in three stages. Each stage is handled differently and different tactics are required to handle each stage. There may be advice given by those who are more experienced with defeating a Harrower, so mind your neighbors and do as others do.

1. The (fake) Harrower

The first stage of the Harrower is not very intimidating but carelessness can result in some pain. The Harrower is usually defeated via a combination of summoned Energy Vortices & Collossi, Greater Dragons and other pets with high HP, and indirect damage from Mages and Archers alike.

Melee dexxers also have some options, but may find it difficult to go at it alone. Sampire templates do extremely well in tanking the Harrower, but it's best if melee dexxers have a partner; either another dexxer to constantly bandage heal that dexxer, or a mage/mystic to do long distance healing.

Please be aware that should you die to the Harrower, your corpse may explode. Explosion of your corpse is not only amusing to everyone else watching, but will result in the loss of any non-insured items you may have had in your backpack, such as potions, bandages, girl scout cookies, etc. You may find it useful to bring along extra supplies to the Harrower and place them in a safe spot nearby in case of an emergency. Think ahead.

As the Harrower nears death, he will change into his second form. Before this happens, please be aware that the location of the second part of the Harrower is extremely important to many; if you are asked to stop attacking the Harrower, please do so! This will ensure that the first stage of the Harrower is defeated in a wide open location which will make the second part of the Harrower easier for everyone.

2. The Tentacles of the Harrower

The Tentacles of the Harrower can be as difficult or as easy as the spawners want to make it. The Tentacles will spawn along with the True Harrower. Each Tentacle is able to drain life from pets and people, which will then be added to the True Harrower's life.

The best option at this time is for everyone to run away like insane mobs facing destruction of their planet to a safe distance.

Pets will not be effective at this time. Please call your pets back, tamers.

Sampire dexxers are extremely effective at this time. By sending in just one sampire and ensuring that this dexxer is healed via long distance by mages/mystics, the Tentacles can be dealt with one by one. Provided that the Tentacles have not spawned in difficult and hard to reach locations, this will be done quite quickly.

Another great option to defeat the Tentacles is the usage of the Mystic's Collossus. Collossi deal great damage to the Tentacles without having to worry about the Tentacles' life draining effect.

You will most likely see many "GET BACK" and "STOP ATTACKING THE HARROWER YOU IDIOT" statements made when the Tentacles of the Harrower spawns. It is best to heed these demands so that the Tentacles can be handled efficiently. Don't take the "idiot" comments too harshly. It happens.

3. The True Harrower

The True Harrower is actually the least difficult of the three stages once the Tentacles have all been defeated. The same tactics used in the attacking The (fake) Harrower can be applied here: summons, pets with high HP, sampires with a back up healer, and indirect attacks such as Magery spells and Archery attacks.

We don't envision a lot of problems during this stage. I am unclear on whether the True Harrower can also explode corpses because I'm usually placed in Defense during a Harrower. Hopefully someone else can answer that question.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
III. Tips & Tricks

1. Do not cast Paralyze on the Harrower. Ever.

2. Casting Polymorph to turn into a chicken will put you in Handalf's good graces.

3. The Harrower can be Honored through the Honor Virtue, but only by one person. Usage of the Honor Virtue is carried over from the (fake) Harrower to the True Harrower, so if you aren't the first person to invoke Honor on the Harrower, tough luck.

4. There are no slayer types which are particularly effective against the Harrower. Melee dexxers would be wise to use a high Mana/Life Leech weapon, such as the Soul Seeker. Top Damage Dealers are the ones who will end up with the Stat Scrolls.

5. 120 Discordance will make the Harrower incredibly easy to defeat. If someone does not show up to Discord the Harrower, then we will bring one in.

6. Have fun. Make some new friends. Exchange numbers.

7. Protection scrolls obtained by the hosts of this event will be donated/used in some sort of charitable way. All scrolls, both those gotten by the spawners and those invoking Protection, are yours to keep for yourself. These scrolls will pop into your backpacks upon defeat of the Harrower and cannot be insured. A Bag of Sending will not send these scrolls to the bank, and using the Help Stuck option to leave the dungeon will result in the scrolls falling onto the ground.

Your best option is to either use it for yourself if you haven't eaten a higher or same Stat Scroll or walk it out of the dungeon. Please be careful in giving these scrolls to others to carry out for you. Upon arrival at home, be sure to put them in a nice frame if you don't intend on using it yourself.

8. Wash your hands and use the bathroom before the Harrower. Also, brush your teeth twice daily.

Lots of reading, I know. Take some time to go over it, or just go in blind, make mistakes, and have a good laugh about it afterwards.

Again, more information can be found at the following link:
http://www.uoguide.com/Harrower

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*curses the horse and buggy in front of his bus*

I'm OMW! Hope there's still something to kill when I get there!

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For ohhh sooo obvious reasons I've moved some posts to the PvP thread. :stretcher:

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AMAZING JOB!!!

That was an incredible amount of fun. Thank you Cartel, K!T and GHT for planning it! I did attend, incognito, and was impressed with the whole event.

Glad to see that everyone got along for the duration, but I hopped out of there when it was over - there's only so much tempting a red can take...

Oh! And that SuperKen guy is dreamy...I may have to wrestle a girl scout for him *grins*