• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bad News - Moves and Merges

• Thread starter imported_debslee
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_debslee

Just seen on the Devs Blog -

Hi,

Unfortunatly I have some bad news, some really bad news, and a tiny bit of good news.

Bad News: As you know moves (aka the bullet train) did not happen today. They will also not happen tomorrow due to a database consolidation happening after maintainence.
Really Bad News: We have discovered issues with the merge system. We will resolve this as soon as we can, however, that means merges are delayed indefinatly.
Tiny Bit of Good News: We will run the bullet trains manually, and at least once a week.
Cheers,

Lee

I

imported_Juniper Skye

<blockquote><hr>

Really Bad News: We have discovered issues with the merge system. We will resolve this as soon as we can, however, that means merges are delayed indefinatly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bummer.

G

sounds like the old "sorry we tried" are starting to emerge.

G

To me it sounds more like the old "We ran into a few problems, and we're working on getting them fixed. In the meantime we're offering an alternative to those who don't want to wait." routine.

Maybe the team should stop posting ETA's altogether. That way when the unforeseen circumstances do come up, there won't be as many complaints.

Wouldn't that be wonderful? Every update would be a surprise.

C

Cruz Cavera

<blockquote><hr>

Just seen on the Devs Blog -

Hi,

Unfortunatly I have some bad news, some really bad news, and a tiny bit of good news.

Bad News: As you know moves (aka the bullet train) did not happen today. They will also not happen tomorrow due to a database consolidation happening after maintainence.
Tiny Bit of Good News: We will run the bullet trains manually, and at least once a week.
Cheers,

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a shocker.

G

The really really bad thing is that the dev team only has a limited time to sort these things out. If they can't get TSO back on the rails within a certain timeframe (the time they were given), EA *will* pull the plug. This is the last chance to revive TSO. The merge will be a cornerstone.

B

B Jordan

They need a bigger dev team.

Too much that needs to be done and not enough people.

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

<blockquote><hr>

Maybe the team should stop posting ETA's altogether. That way when the unforeseen circumstances do come up, there won't be as many complaints.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last thing I need from the dev team is deja vu, so I'll take it all - good and bad.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The really really bad thing is that the dev team only has a limited time to sort these things out. If they can't get TSO back on the rails within a certain timeframe (the time they were given), EA *will* pull the plug. This is the last chance to revive TSO. The merge will be a cornerstone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and I don't remember what that timeline was either.....anybody know?

We all better send prayers, white light, and good luck vibes to the dev team that they are able to find out what's going on with it. It was a *big* deal for Lee to come straight out and tell us this now, rather than waiting until they were about to lower the final boom and *then* telling us that they had to based on a problem they found 'back in February', so, as upsetting as this is, I hope people do not beat them over the head with "Oh well, EA lied again!".....because they haven't, and this post, being honest about bad news, proves more to me that they are as commited to being upfront and honest as they can be.

G

<blockquote><hr>

To me it sounds more like the old "We ran into a few problems, and we're working on getting them fixed. In the meantime we're offering an alternative to those who don't want to wait." routine.

Wouldn't that be wonderful? Every update would be a surprise.

[/ QUOTE ]
The we'd hear the typical ....
Why can't they keep us update *whine*.... They never tell us what is going on... *gripe*

I

imported_DutchAmerica

If the devs offered me a lot voucher where I could select a lot and upgrade to size 8 free of charge, I'd have the vast majority of my sims on the next bullet train to EAland...leaving less for devs to have to merge later.

G

Any consideration of opening back up the regular cities and allowing sim moves between them again?

P

PJ EST

YES WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! GIVE EVERYONE a FREE SIZE 8 UPGRADE and we will ALL take the bullet train. LOL

G

<blockquote><hr>

If the devs offered me a lot voucher where I could select a lot and upgrade to size 8 free of charge, I'd have the vast majority of my sims on the next bullet train to EAland...leaving less for devs to have to merge later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see that happening. /sarcasm LOL

It might end up though, that the bullet train is the *only* way into EA Land if the merges can't happen in a timely fashion, and we're given the choice of taking the bullet train in and accepting that loss, or they just delete the old production cities, sims and all and we lose everything when transferring over to the new game, effectively handing out the 90 day notice. If it were me, and their investment was equal to or even greater than mine is, I'd save what I could and be grateful to still have a game. We're not quite to that point yet, but as it gets closer to the deadline of when they said they had to have TSO profitable, its gonna start looking that way.
Property can be replaced, albeit slowly.....those sims with 1400+ days on em would be alottttttt slower to replace the age on.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

If you don't ask....they can't say no....but they can't say yes either.

Never hurts to ask now does it? Oh that's right....it hurts to ask because 'other' players may make fun of us because the question is just to obsurd?

I would gladly leave some of my lots behind if I could at least replace the land once I get to EAland....and if there are 'merge' problems....this may actually be something the devs might re-consider.

So I will take all the 'sarcasm' ya wanna throw out because nothing ventured....nothing gained.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

How about giving us the 4th yr gift then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that would be nice but doubt we see that till we move to EAland.

Why would the devs spend time programming the productions cities for anniversary gifts when they are just going to be shut down in the matter of a few weeks?

I would venture that the more they can get moved to EAland the less complications there'll be for merging the cities I would think.

G

As a new player this really has me very concerned. I have to admit that I have been one of the lucky few who hasn't experienced any real problems so far. I found out about this game around 4 days ago. I signed up for the trial and bought a 90 day time card the same day and had it applied. The very same day, I was able to create a sim in EA Land and off I went. I'm slowly making new friends and getting my skills up. I have to admit I'm having a blast and yes, it's become quite addicting as my Sims 2 was.

When I read this thread, I can't help but begin to worry. It sounds like the game as a whole is in jeopardy due to this "merge" issue. I mean, if the merge can't take place then maybe they should leave everything as it was and let people continue to play in the cities they've been playing in for years and let those who want to, make sims in EA Land.

I realize I'm new and maybe this suggestion is a bit to simple but the thought of this game going under because of an unfortunate event like the merging of cities makes me sad. I don't want to see this game end. It seems like perhaps those who have played for a long time were happy with the way things were, not sure why the change had to take place to begin with but then again, I don't have much history here.

I really really hope that in a time like this, the TSO community locks arms and bands together to support the game they've loved for so long and tries to put themselves in the Dev's shoes, realizing how much pressure and stress they must be under trying to make the game the best possible experience we can have. This isn't the only MMO to have things go wrong....you can easily find flaws with just about every one of them but this game is different.

It's fun because there are no dragons to kill or tunnles to crawl in. It's just pure fun and a great way to make new friends and make the most out of your own virtual you.

I realize I don't have much to offer as a new player, I haven't suffered some of the pains that alot of the vet players have with previous problems but I'm hoping those vet players will take a deep breath and try to remember why they are vet players. In the midst of all this drama, let's enjoy the game while we still have it and band together and support our Dev team in the hopes that everything will work out in the end. I promise you.... the grass isn't greener on the other side.

Big Hugs!!

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Very well said Therma Stat. I learned a long time ago not to let the voices of a few on message boards worry me too much. There have been doom and gloom mongers since the beginning of time. I believe the demise of TSO was first predicted to be March of 2004 by one of my roomies. I love to remind him of that prediction.

Play the game, and enjoy yourself. You don't have to carry the baggage of old wounds or long for the nostalgia of the so-called "good ole days". You have a great advantage over many that post here.

All games will have players come and go over time. Hopefully all the changes taking place in EALand will create more new players than the old ones that choose to leave.

I can assure you that not a single developer has stated that the game will have to shut down, if merges are delayed or become an impossible feat. They have had one successful merge of old Test Center to the new Test Center. I do not believe merges are completely impossible.

I

imported_SimTripps

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly Dutch - that's why I haven't been playing EA Land much. My largest property in EA Land is a size 4, and I'm not about to pizza for days, or buy simoleans from EA, just to make it bigger. I've been spending my time playing the prod cities doing roof art lol..

It took me years and hours upon hours of playing to build up my properties in the prod cities, and I'm in no mood to start that all over again lol...

The merge will happen eventually - indefinitely (Lee needs spell check lol..) doesn't mean forever, it simply means that they cannot give an ETA on exactly WHEN it will happen...

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I'm kinda wondering if the merge will be able to happen too because of technical difficulties.

That's kinda why I threw out a couple of alternatives. Some make it sound like the 'bullet train' is all that but it really isn't, most of us are waiting in the old cities because of our investments in property.

However, I do have 2 properties with irreplaceable roof art that I really do not want to lose so those lots would remain with the hopes of one day being brought over to EAland.

However, all my other houses are fair game if given the right incentives to hit the train.

I

imported_SimTripps

If it comes to 'no merge', I can redo your roofs Dutch, as long as you have pics of it... but hopefully it won't come to that...

The thing is, they've done a merge before - TC &amp; TC3 - not without problems of course. Some of us were, ahem, wandering the streets as both gender, others were bodiless, etc., but they fixed it. As long as the 'bugs' are fixable afterwards, then they should go ahead with it.

I would LOVE to hear some of the problems they're running into. If Lee said, 'well, we've been testing the merge and... you're all losing your properties and objects in the process...', I would say, 'omg do NOT merge until this is fixed!' lol.. However, if it's only our bodies disappearing, which was fixed last time, then who cares? lol....

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

If it comes to 'no merge', I can redo your roofs Dutch, as long as you have pics of it... but hopefully it won't come to that...

The thing is, they've done a merge before - TC &amp; TC3 - not without problems of course. Some of us were, ahem, wandering the streets as both gender, others were bodiless, etc., but they fixed it. As long as the 'bugs' are fixable afterwards, then they should go ahead with it.

I would LOVE to hear some of the problems they're running into. If Lee said, 'well, we've been testing the merge and... you're all losing your properties and objects in the process...', I would say, 'omg do NOT merge until this is fixed!' lol.. However, if it's only our bodies disappearing, which was fixed last time, then who cares? lol....

[/ QUOTE ]

GASPS IN HORROR!!! It would be an unforgiveable crime against queen to delete a house with a pic of Freddie Mercury on it and I couldn't delete the other house with my bird on it.

If it comes to having to leave them, I would graciously accept your offer of assistance in recreating.

(and you can say you don't mind your body missing...but I can say that the Iron Chef looks pretty ticked off having a set of boobs still. That poor guy is sooo embarrassed.....HEY, do you think that the chef has the exta body parts that everyone else was missing?)

I

imported_SimTripps

<blockquote><hr>

GASPS IN HORROR!!! It would be an unforgiveable crime against queen to delete a house with a pic of Freddie Mercury on it and I couldn't delete the other house with my bird on it.

If it comes to having to leave them, I would graciously accept your offer of assistance in recreating.

(and you can say you don't mind your body missing...but I can say that the Iron Chef looks pretty ticked off having a set of boobs still. That poor guy is sooo embarrassed.....HEY, do you think that the chef has the exta body parts that everyone else was missing?)

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL! I forgot about TC's Iron Chef lol.. Poor guy... gal... whatever lol...

Mercury - rock on! I would LOVE to do a Freddy roof! Queen w/Mercury was the first 'official' rock concert I attended - I was 14. I won't reveal which year that was though rofl...

G

<blockquote><hr>

I can assure you that not a single developer has stated that the game will have to shut down, if merges are delayed or become an impossible feat. They have had one successful merge of old Test Center to the new Test Center. I do not believe merges are completely impossible

[/ QUOTE ]

From your lips to God's ears....I hope this is the case. The only thing that made the possibility cross my mind was the word 'indefinitely', but you're right...he didn't say 'if at all' behind it, so there *is* still hope. OK, panic mode over for me LOL.

As for the compensation issue, I do understand what you guys with size 8s are saying. At first I thought the fair thing to do would be to give those who ride over on the bullet train the simolean value of whatever it would cost to upgrade a lot to size 8 with the max # of roomies, but then that would not be fair to those who have already ridden the bullet train, some of which might have given up properties too....of their own free volition, yes, but it wouldn't be fair for those who ride the train from here on in to get it, unless we're told "OK, its bullet train or bust", because then it would not be of your own volition to leave those lots behind. On the other hand though, I still believe should the merges become impossible that losing a size 8 lot without compensation would be better than sims and all getting wiped, which is where we were when Luc first started talking about this and we all begged him to merge our old sims in. The major reason I could think of that they would not compensate players is that there'd be no way to make SURE the players spent that money on a lot, many would just use it to flood the economy, like the 500k given to craft in TC years ago. I'm not sure how to prevent that from happening, and we sure can't just allow this fresh economy to be flooded
. Very hopefully it's all a moot point and the bug is one they can fix before their deadline date....I'm going to try to follow Gracie's example and remain positive/optimistic.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

The major reason I could think of that they would not compensate players is that there'd be no way to make SURE the players spent that money on a lot, many would just use it to flood the economy, like the 500k given to craft in TC years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

ARGHHHH. Give it a rest already with the 500k that was given to TC folks to test (TEST -- in a TEST CITY) when craft tables were being tested. If it was a 'flood' for the economy (what economy?) then, it was a ripple by comparison to other influxes of money. I know I am not the only one who spent all of it AND MORE (of my own cash) crafting. Not to mention I spent a fortune testing spotlights and ALL of that came from my own coffers.

No more griping about money given out for testing. Pluh-eze. IMO testers should get cash to test game enhancements.

As for the merge, if we are all wiped totally will it really matter? As many of you like to keep reminding us -- the 'old' game is gone, and this is the new game. Starting over is fun, right? I rather like your idea, Dutch, about getting a free move. I think that clashes with the dev idea about real estate speculation being a game motive, though.

G

I rather like the idea of offering the free lot/upgrade incentive. I don't think this will ruin the economy whatsoever, because the other option would be to wait until the merges DO happen, in which case we'll be flooded with size 8's anyhow. The one problem I do see with it though, is building costs. Sure, a size 8 lot will be nice, but it takes a lot of money to actually set up a house. Build mode can get expensive. For people that have nicely designed homes in other cities, a size 8 lot is really meaningless, unless they can get it to look like what they had before. I don't even want to THINK about how much roof art would cost.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Some of us old stuffed shirts have become a 'bit more flexible' then we were a year ago.

I remember just last year we were like..."I'm NOT moving, I'm NOT giving up my stuff, I will QUIT if you delete my old sim, I will QUIT if you take away my pink poodle and mystic tree, I'm NOT starting over...yada yada yada."

I will admit I was one of them and kinda still am.....Some of us have gradually come around gradual and we are still learning to let go....for instance....I'm not adverse with recreating any longer as long as I keep my locks and days....I can always reskill. That's changed from DON'T TOUCH MY SIM!!! I'm like...just give me a square green thing that's size a 8 and I'll rebuild.....changed from...I"M NEVER LEAVE THIS CITY UNTIL YOU PULL THE PLUG!!!!

A couple Us oldies of MF joked around once that we would get hoverrounds and make Lee and Parizad chase us around the city before they would toss us out.

BTW....Shouldn't we be celebrating the 1 year anniversary of the Great Simolean Exploit which let to this total overhaul of TSO?

Hey and technically speaking....Mount Fuji is the last production city to move so we are the last left standing? So maybe going last isn't that bad after all?

D

dinaj

I think its a great idea, it would help populate EA Land faster and allow stagnant sims restart their lives. I have nothihg to gain by this suggestion because all of my old sims were deleted years ago and I only have sims in EA Land and TC3.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

I think its a great idea, it would help populate EA Land faster and allow stagnant sims restart their lives. I have nothihg to gain by this suggestion because all of my old sims were deleted years ago and I only have sims in EA Land and TC3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have everything to gain from it because a couple of my sims would be older...a few sims would be the same....

However, it would do EA a favor by getting us out of the old production cities faster.

F

festrmentmagnet

Yes, I have a size six lot in EA-Land, and I am having a heck of time getting the floor put in because the floor I want cost 20 dollars a tile.

I furnished the house the way I wanted it first and am now putting in the floor, and it's taking forever.

I

imported_VeronicaV

I just scheduled my second most skilled sim for a move. I dont care if she takes anything with her...just get her into EA Land. If she makes it with her locks in place, then my main sim will follow suit. I can not stand waiting for a second longer.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

The major reason I could think of that they would not compensate players is that there'd be no way to make SURE the players spent that money on a lot, many would just use it to flood the economy, like the 500k given to craft in TC years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

ARGHHHH. Give it a rest already with the 500k that was given to TC folks to test (TEST -- in a TEST CITY) when craft tables were being tested. If it was a 'flood' for the economy (what economy?) then, it was a ripple by comparison to other influxes of money. I know I am not the only one who spent all of it AND MORE (of my own cash) crafting. Not to mention I spent a fortune testing spotlights and ALL of that came from my own coffers.

No more griping about money given out for testing. Pluh-eze. IMO testers should get cash to test game enhancements.

As for the merge, if we are all wiped totally will it really matter? As many of you like to keep reminding us -- the 'old' game is gone, and this is the new game. Starting over is fun, right? I rather like your idea, Dutch, about getting a free move. I think that clashes with the dev idea about real estate speculation being a game motive, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't griping, I was stating fact. OK, *you* spent the money on testing, and yeah you were probably not the only one who did,but the fact remains, others did not and even came here and bragged that they did not...money traders can vouch for how many trades they did out of TC into production cities at premium rates because they normally won't do money trades out of TC, BV amd DC.

And now you want testers to get paid cash to test? My turn to say puhleeze.....

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes sense if the thing that is being tested requires what would be considered a large sum of money to test.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes sense if the thing that is being tested requires what would be considered a large sum of money to test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simoleans yes, but my understanding of one of her statements was that she wanted CASH (as in RL cash) to test. Also, there is no cash out in TC3, and little to no money trading, so what else once a person has their house built if they're not a host would they want to do with the simoleans they make? I think when it's big-ticket testing EA *will* give simolean stipends just like they did with the 500k crafting money, unless they look on their database and discover that TC3'ers already have fortunes and don't need it. I just hope that if/when that happens they do something to ensure that the money stays IN TC3, or that those that send it out are dealt with mightily. Dali is 25% right.....there really was no economy with the production cities, so the damage from the 500k didn't hurt as much as the huge exploit did....but there IS a real economy in EA Land/TC3, so we do have something to lose now and the damage would be much greater.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Simoleans yes, but my understanding of one of her statements was that she wanted CASH (as in RL cash) to test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, really? Maybe I misunderstood it when I read. I used context clues and assumed she was talking about simoleans. Dali, could you please correct me if I'm wrong?

<blockquote><hr>

I just hope that if/when that happens they do something to ensure that the money stays IN TC3, or that those that send it out are dealt with mightily. Dali is 25% right.....there really was no economy with the production cities, so the damage from the 500k didn't hurt as much as the huge exploit did....but there IS a real economy in EA Land/TC3, so we do have something to lose now and the damage would be much greater.

[/ QUOTE ]
How may I ask will TC3 money leak out of TC3 if it has already been stated that (a) TC3 sims will not move to EA-Land and (b) Cash-Out will never be instated in TC3? Maybe I'm misunderstanding things, but it seems obvious that TC3 is going to be isolated from EA-Land.

G

<blockquote><hr>

...but there IS a real economy in EA Land/TC3,

[/ QUOTE ]
No, there is not. It is simply some goofy method of trying to control simoleons, and has NO similarity to an actual dynamic economy.

Edit: Sorry, Sindran, I know it is not your quote.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Simoleans yes, but my understanding of one of her statements was that she wanted CASH (as in RL cash) to test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, really? Maybe I misunderstood it when I read. I used context clues and assumed she was talking about simoleans. Dali, could you please correct me if I'm wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not wrong. But, come to think of it, if the PTB want to pay me in USD real cash, I won't scream about it.

Donavan, re: Economy. You are spot on, as always.

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simoleans yes, but my understanding of one of her statements was that she wanted CASH (as in RL cash) to test. Also, there is no cash out in TC3, and little to no money trading, so what else once a person has their house built if they're not a host would they want to do with the simoleans they make? I think when it's big-ticket testing EA *will* give simolean stipends just like they did with the 500k crafting money, unless they look on their database and discover that TC3'ers already have fortunes and don't need it. I just hope that if/when that happens they do something to ensure that the money stays IN TC3, or that those that send it out are dealt with mightily. Dali is 25% right.....there really was no economy with the production cities, so the damage from the 500k didn't hurt as much as the huge exploit did....but there IS a real economy in EA Land/TC3, so we do have something to lose now and the damage would be much greater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again you fail to read and understand what some has typed.

Dali wasnt saying anything about rl money. She was speaking of how she spent more than the 500k we were given and how she had to spend some of her own simoleons in the process of testing the crafting benches. As I did also. I know some people took the 500k and ran with it but not all of us did. As far as getting compensated to test objects I saw nothing wrong with that then and I still dont. It can be very expensive testing some objects and even in the old TC not all of us were rich enough to be able to test items properly.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is called "Chicken Little Syndrome"

Hi Bindy !

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is called "Chicken Little Syndrome"

Hi Bindy !

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Hi Dali

I

imported_Starrfoxx

They were able to merge Test Center into Test Center 3. So why not the production cities into EA Land? I think they'll get it figured out.

G

I moved my two main sims from BF to EA-Land and left an old sim holding one property there - the other 2 properties I just let go.

The price of lots and expanding in EA-Land was SO much cheaper then in production cities, I figured it made more sense to have two highly skilled (and well locked) actually doing something in EA-Land, instead of gathering dust in BF.
Also it means being able to take advantage of the cheaper property and expansion costs now ...

Polly