• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Back to 1-3 liners after 120 Fishing

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have recently got my first 120 Fishing ps and having waited for it for too long, I immediately used it and used 5.0 sot to get from 115 to 120 fishing. The following orders I got from the fish mongers were all 1 to 3 liners, yet still all for 20 fish. I saw my first 5 liner after three days and approximately 25 quests but even after that, I frequently got 1 to 3 liner quests and seldom 4 or 5. I already had 115 fishing before using the ps, so it is not related to the "adding dungeon fish to the equation" idea. I just checked the last 20 quests before using the ps, all of which have 4 to 6 lines except one. Any idea why this happens? I hope I won't need to complete another 500 quests to finally see 6 line quests as frequently as before.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
..... Any idea why this happens? I hope I won't need to complete another 500 quests to finally see 6 line quests as frequently as before.
I, for one, will be very interested in following this thread.... If the 120 PS isn't worth it, we ALL need to know....

:rant2:

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since i became 120 skill i have often 6 line orders. Since the change they only 20 too. I got several + 20 PS after the chance and rare baites. i'm still on my quest for Oracle of the Sea. No rush but i will get it.

The drop to 1-3 lines seems to happen after you get a high end reward.

C

Conrad99

Same here. Even though you hit 120 skill, you wil still get 1-3 liners from time to time. I will run into instances where I only get 1-3 then it jumps to a 6 and then 4-5 etc.... But all are 20 to fill.

I do not think because you get to 120 you only get 6 liners from there out. The size of the quest is all luck.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same here. Even though you hit 120 skill, you will still get 1-3 liners from time to time. I will run into instances where I only get 1-3 then it jumps to a 6 and then 4-5 etc.... But all are 20 to fill.

I do not think because you get to 120 you only get 6 liners from there out. The size of the quest is all luck.
I would have no problem if I was getting 1-3 liners only from time to time. While the size of the quest depends on rng, you can improve your chances for larger orders as you complete more and more quests:

From: FAQ Friday 7 - January 28, 2011 - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

The fish monger chooses randomly between a list of fish based on your fishing skill. The higher your skill, the bigger the list.
  • For each fish that you have completed an order for, you get a chance to get an order for 2 fish.
  • For each fish that you have completed an order for twice, you get a chance to get an order for 3 fish.
  • For each fish that you have completed an order for three times, you get a chance to get an order for 4 fish.
  • This progresses until you are getting orders for 6 fish.
The number of different fish in the order is always random, the only thing that changes is the odds.
I was getting my fair share of 6 liners with 115 skill and I haven't seen a single 6 liner for the last 42 quests after the 120 ps and 120 skill. Most of my orders are 1 - 3 liners now and I can see a significant decrease on order size.

So my question is: since both my skill and the number of completed orders increased, what changed the odds for my fisherman that caused my orders to drop to 1-3 liners?

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would have no problem if I was getting 1-3 liners only from time to time.....I was getting my fair share of 6 liners with 115 skill and I haven't seen a single 6 liner for the last 42 quests after the 120 ps and 120 skill. Most of my orders are 1 - 3 liners now and I can see a significant decrease on order size...
^^^^ This ^^^^ is the most troubling part.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally got a 6 liner after two 1 liners at the 49th quest. I hope it was a case of bad rng (as my favorite Dilbert moment illustrates):

MsCC

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I, too, have dropped back. I was getting 5 -6 liner quests on a regular basis after I hit 120. Suddenly in the last couple of weeks I have dropped back to 1 -2 liners. If this is truly due to random chance I could see it happening to someone occasionally. But, to have it happening to so many on a consistent basis makes one wonder what is going on and why.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, too, have dropped back. I was getting 5 -6 liner quests on a regular basis after I hit 120. Suddenly in the last couple of weeks I have dropped back to 1 -2 liners. If this is truly due to random chance I could see it happening to someone occasionally. But, to have it happening to so many on a consistent basis makes one wonder what is going on and why.
This is exactly what happened to me. I still want to believe it is just bad rng or coincidence. However, I hope it is not related to a coding mistake, specifically at scaling the bonus for the odds based on your fishing skill.

As an example, if the fishing skill bonus is scaled to 120, an error in coding makes the 120 skill yield 0 bonus, same as 0 skill:

Code:
fishing_skill_bonus = fishing_skill % 1200
This code generates a fishing skill bonus from 0 to 1. "%" operator divides the fishing skill with 120.0, then takes the remainder (At 110.0 skill, 1100%1200 = 11/12 ~= 0.92) At 119.9 skill, the bonus is 0.99 but at 120.0 skill, the bonus is 0. A common coding mistake which, again, I hope is not present and it is only bad rng.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sitting in my hold now is a 160 weight order, all crustaceans and dungeon fish 20 count. Since I made 120 fishing, all my orders have been for 20 count. I still get orders though for 1 to 6 species. There is a progression through to fish that I have not turned in for a very long time. Those varieties have accumulated in my hold and actually contribute to making the later orders much easier to fill. Unfortunately, the crustacean portions of the orders are becoming more and more difficult to fill, as stocks are running low, no one sells crabs or lobsters on my shard, and I am extremely reluctant anymore to sit and fish for them. I am curious whether the current order will cycle yet again through another set of fish. Hoping not as I have fished a LOT.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has been my experience too: I have 282 cape cods while I have only 2 mahi-mahis left, same for the blue crabs and the hummer lobsters.

Since I made 120 fishing, all my orders have been for 20 count.
I don't think this is related to 120 fishing, again from FAQ Friday 7 - January 28, 2011 - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia :

Each time you complete an order with a specific fish, the next time you get an order with that fish the quantity will increase by 5 to a max of 20.
There was a bug earlier in the system which was causing the order size to loop back to 10 once it hits 20. I think this bug is fixed now.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got this order:​
Can't wait to turn it in :)

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actualy i got 6 +100 orders and 2 only 30 orders in one trip.

I always get 8 orders , then fill all 8 and sail around to deliver and get 8 new ones.
Just want to show that getting orders above 100 is not too bad. :)

Now that the Britannian ship is faster i can do more orders in no time.
If i have big orders and have not enough fish, i trade them at the fishmarket on Drachenfels.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From FAQ Friday 7:

Each time you complete an order with a specific fish, the next time you get an order with that fish the quantity will increase by 5 to a max of 20.
Each time you abandon a quest with a specific fish, the next order you get with that fish will be 5 less quantity. How does the monger decide which quest to give us?
The fish monger chooses randomly between a list of fish based on your fishing skill. The higher your skill, the bigger the list.
  • For each fish that you have completed an order for, you get a chance to get an order for 2 fish.
  • For each fish that you have completed an order for twice, you get a chance to get an order for 3 fish.
  • For each fish that you have completed an order for three times, you get a chance to get an order for 4 fish.
  • This progresses until you are getting orders for 6 fish.
The number of different fish in the order is always random, the only thing that changes is the odds.

Do you remember the bug which caused the order quantity to loop back to 10 when you complete an order for the same type of fish for 20? I have already completed more than 6 orders for all fish and crustacean types, but the order sizes is still way too random for me to distinguish any increased chance on higher order sizes. So I respectfully would like to request from the devs to check if that number, "6", also loops, as in, if the system takes that you have completed only 1 order for that fish type when you actually completed 7 or 13 or any 6k + 1.

Lord Sir Scott

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Side Note: At 120 fishing if you place a classic boat do one order and then go back to your HS boat you will start All over.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you mean by this???? Thanks.
It means you have ruined your reputation if you switch ships and jetison orders and it resets to 0 reputation. It happened to me when we had the ship bug long time ago.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It means you have ruined your reputation if you switch ships and jetison orders and it resets to 0 reputation. It happened to me when we had the ship bug long time ago.

Does this happen also when drydocking the same one ship generally used for fishmongers' quests ?

Also, what do you mean by "switching" ships exactly ? Since it is only possible to use one ship per character on the same account I could have another character place another ship (and so have 2 ships in the sea at the same one time even though placed by different characters). Then, my fisherman could have at disposal 2 different ships to do the quests, one that he/she placed, and another placed by a different character on the same account (or another account...). Now, how would reputation be handled in such a case if I had both ships in the waters and used one or the other at free will for fishmonger quests ??

I find it weird that reputation ties to the ship and not the actual fisherman (should this be the sace as I seem to understand....).

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does this happen also when drydocking the same one ship generally used for fishmongers' quests ?

Also, what do you mean by "switching" ships exactly ? Since it is only possible to use one ship per character on the same account I could have another character place another ship (and so have 2 ships in the sea at the same one time even though placed by different characters). Then, my fisherman could have at disposal 2 different ships to do the quests, one that he/she placed, and another placed by a different character on the same account (or another account...). Now, how would reputation be handled in such a case if I had both ships in the waters and used one or the other at free will for fishmonger quests ??

I find it weird that reputation ties to the ship and not the actual fisherman (should this be the sace as I seem to understand....).
I meant like Sir Scott said, actually drydocking your regular ship and putting a different one in the water.

As far as working from 2 ships with one fisherman, I have no idea, I wouldn't know why a person would do that. Your ship has to be on the same server as the dock your turning in your order too, so I would not think that having 2 in the water would be any sort of advantage.

I do know that if you throw orders overboard, that damages if not completely destroys your reputation, that's from personal experience. Sir Scott says you can refuse them and it doesn't damage reputation, but I've been to afraid to try that. When I changed ships and threw orders overboard it took me over 200 orders to get back to normal.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"As far as working from 2 ships with one fisherman, I have no idea, I wouldn't know why a person would do that."
When my fisher's boat has quest chests in the hold, I have no desire to dump the quests and kill my reputation. Thus when I have the urge to try for a black marlin in Felucca (still no love there), I have another character on the same account place another Tokuno ship instead of drydocking and relaunching. I am curious if drydocking the other char's ship will still hurt the fisher's reputation.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I meant like Sir Scott said, actually drydocking your regular ship and putting a different one in the water.

As far as working from 2 ships with one fisherman, I have no idea, I wouldn't know why a person would do that. Your ship has to be on the same server as the dock your turning in your order too, so I would not think that having 2 in the water would be any sort of advantage.

I do know that if you throw orders overboard, that damages if not completely destroys your reputation, that's from personal experience. Sir Scott says you can refuse them and it doesn't damage reputation, but I've been to afraid to try that. When I changed ships and threw orders overboard it took me over 200 orders to get back to normal.
How long has the High Seas booster been out, and I'm just now learning about this? This explains why I'm not getting anywhere with the fish monger quests. I can't tell you how mad I am right now. :mad2: Thank you for this information.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When my fisher's boat has quest chests in the hold, I have no desire to dump the quests and kill my reputation. Thus when I have the urge to try for a black marlin in Felucca (still no love there), I have another character on the same account place another Tokuno ship instead of drydocking and relaunching. I am curious if drydocking the other char's ship will still hurt the fisher's reputation.
I don't think it does, but this is such a touchy thing, I'm only telling you my personal experience. I've done it, didn't hurt a thing. And I did exactly as you are saying, had another character on the same account place the ship, logged him out and put my regular fisherman on it and fished away. I did this several times, for some reason the Black Marlins hated me, finally wound up catching one minnow one after 700 baits.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After turning in hundreds of quests, one at a time after making 120, and after receiving only 20 fish quantities, I have come to the conclusion that there is a progression in the types of fish needed to fill the order. Look at your storehouse of fish. You will see some piles that have accumulated to hundreds of fish because they have never been required in your orders. If you keep cycling lower to higher point values as you finish more and more quests, you can see the progression to the fish you have in abundance. The fish you worked so hard early on to fill orders will stop being asked for. It takes forever to cycle through the varieties of fish, but I am convinced that those cycles exist. If rng were the only way that the particular varieties are picked to make up an order, the more orders you fill, the piles of fish in your hold would tend to become equal in quantity. That is not my experience, as some varieties keep increasing through hundreds of orders until you are finally at the point to where they are included in the possibilities when building the subsequent orders.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After turning in hundreds of quests, one at a time after making 120, and after receiving only 20 fish quantities, I have come to the conclusion that there is a progression in the types of fish needed to fill the order. Look at your storehouse of fish. You will see some piles that have accumulated to hundreds of fish because they have never been required in your orders. If you keep cycling lower to higher point values as you finish more and more quests, you can see the progression to the fish you have in abundance. The fish you worked so hard early on to fill orders will stop being asked for. It takes forever to cycle through the varieties of fish, but I am convinced that those cycles exist. If rng were the only way that the particular varieties are picked to make up an order, the more orders you fill, the piles of fish in your hold would tend to become equal in quantity. That is not my experience, as some varieties keep increasing through hundreds of orders until you are finally at the point to where they are included in the possibilities when building the subsequent orders.
I'm not at 100's of orders, currently I have order #1981 and #1983 in my hold. Try thousands, hehe
And, don't tell me about RNG, all those orders and nary an Oracle in the lot. Guildmate has done less orders than me and she already has 3 of them. This is a cruel one, this heartbreaker RNG.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My fisherman will never reach the lunatic fringe by admitting the truth on this subject. I get confused on numbers over 10 anyway. Finally got my oracle, and since that moment have been exploring other aspects of the game again.