• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Back after a ~3 year hiatus.

M

Mr Mischief

I'm returning to UO after taking a long break for WoW, and I'm a bit stuck as to where I should go in terms of adjusting my characters to fit in these days. Notably, my mages.

Now, I've got two of these, with more or less equivalent stats, and I plan to PvP on one, and PvM on the other, without making too much adjustments, as I'll most likely be using my tamer for most of my PvMing.

Currently, the templates are as follows:

115 Wrestling
110 Magery
110 Eval
110 Med
100 Parry
100 Resist Spells
The rest in Anatomy
(Resist is still a WIP, but coming along nicely, and will be faster when I find some good +rings)
I'll be scrolling up when available.

Both accounts are 4 years, so I have the 720 skill cap, although I've yet to use +25 stat scrolls on either (I have one, but I'd prefer to sell it, after spending 3 years PvMing in WoW, "grinding" for power scrolls will be nothing).

Anyway, I've gone through the FAQs, a few template threads and everything, but I've yet to really see any definitive answers, or at least any that I like. I'm from the era where 5x duels were #1, and 6x120 with Anat was king. I'd prefer not to stray far from that if possible. That was my passion, I'd prefer to stick close to it.

Now, I have noticed that using parry on top of wrestling when your dex is low is somewhat redundant, so I have no issues dropping that. I've only used 115 scrolls anyway, and those aren't that important to me.

Again, I'd prefer to stay true to the old styles, although I have ZERO issues going tank mage (one if my mages has a 115-120 fencing/macing scroll, don't remember which).

Any advice, suggestions, etc., would be appreciated. Thanks.

[edit - I should note, I have yet to attain any arti's, but suggestions on what to grab (and how to get them, a general idea, at least) would also be very helpful]

I

imported_GFY

Sounds to me like your on the right track. Personally I would drop parry and add inscription. You get a 10% SDI at 100 that isn't part ov the 25% SDI cap for PVP. So a pvper with inscribe has a 10% di bonus vs a non inscribe pvper. It may not sound like much but when your casting combo's a little bit adds up quickly.

PVM with a tamer mage is still very popular, but there are a few new twists in templates and even more interest in PVP with tamers. (check out the taming board for more)

M

Mr Mischief

<blockquote><hr>

Sounds to me like your on the right track. Personally I would drop parry and add inscription. You get a 10% SDI at 100 that isn't part ov the 25% SDI cap for PVP. So a pvper with inscribe has a 10% di bonus vs a non inscribe pvper. It may not sound like much but when your casting combo's a little bit adds up quickly.

PVM with a tamer mage is still very popular, but there are a few new twists in templates and even more interest in PVP with tamers. (check out the taming board for more)

[/ QUOTE ]

I refuse to touch PvP with my tamer unless it's purely self defense, I started the first 4 years of my UO career with a bitter distaste for them. He's seperate though, still working his taming, but a couple of good rings get me by for now.

Though I've got wrestle over resist on him, not sure if that will go over well.

Back on topic though, inscription over like, necro or chiv or something? I've been seeing tons of those temps floating around getting praise, is the 10% increased damage (then added with the other 15% I think before it caps) enough to get me some corpses at my feet?

V

Valhakar

Get an aegis of grace. I plucked mine off a vendor for cheap, and I am broke. You can get a +10 or +15 power scroll for resist and use the Aegis to bump it up to 110 w/o spending a single skill point

It is a head band, not a shield like one would think.

Aegis of Grace
2 Stones
Resist spells +10
Self repair 2
Defence Chance increase 20%
Physical 10%
Fire 9%
Cold 7%
Poison 7%
Energy 15%
Strength requirment 10

Update your gear and play as you did before. Inscription does att 10% DCI, but Necro adds all types of curses. Chiv allows you to remove curses. There is also the last combo one can consider. 100 tactics and get a mage weapon bow, they work now.

I

imported_GFY

NP on not wanting to pvp. I can understand where your coming from.

My mage template is a bit different but I was able to get Knight of Justice. (A new title given for killing reds that allows you to protect a party at a champspawn to gain additional scrolls)

I started with these numbers and the () are my current stats.

Magery 110 (115)
Eval 110 (no luck getting a better scroll but still trying)
Wrestle 100 (115) i got a big improvement when I went +110 in defense and disarm ability
Med 100 (115)
Resist 100 (115)
Hiding 100
Stealth 80

I was playing with skills and dumped hide and stealth on this template. I wanted to use a mage so I took this template out as it was and I enjoyed playing it so I was hooked.

I'm not an UBBER pvper by any means but using this templat I can give as well as I get and there aren't many situations I can't handle or stealth away from if things go too badly.

As far as SDI goes the max is 25% fro pvp. However you get a 10% bonus that doesn't count towards the cap for 100 inscribe. With 120 (115 will do if short on cash) eval and 100 inscribe you should be able to get some corpses at your feet!

Necro mages are some very strong templates also. I have a necro but don't play him too often because too many spells to cast and I get confused.

V

Valhakar

<blockquote><hr>

My mage template is a bit different but I was able to get Knight of Justice. (A new title given for killing reds that allows you to protect a party at a champspawn to gain additional scrolls)

Magery 110 (115)
Wrestle 100 (115) i got a big improvement when I went +110 in defense and disarm ability
Med 100 (115)
Resist 100 (115)
Hiding 100
Stealth 80

I was playing with skills and dumped hide and stealth on this template. I wanted to use a mage so I took this template out as it was and I enjoyed playing it so I was hooked.

I'm not an UBBER pvper by any means but using this templat I can give as well as I get and there aren't many situations I can't handle or stealth away from if things go too badly.

As far as SDI goes the max is 25% fro pvp. However you get a 10% bonus that doesn't count towards the cap for 100 inscribe. With 120 (115 will do if short on cash) eval and 100 inscribe you should be able to get some corpses at your feet!

Necro mages are some very strong templates also. I have a necro but don't play him too often because too many spells to cast and I get confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you need to have tactics as well to disarm?

M

Mr Mischief

<blockquote><hr>

Magery 110 (115)
Wrestle 100 (115) i got a big improvement when I went +1

10 in defense and disarm ability
Med 100 (115)
Resist 100 (115)
Hiding 100
Stealth 80

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I was curious about the Necro mage thing, I wouldn't mind throwing necro in (thanks to LRC suits it's free, so only time is an issue), but I'm wonder, since I don't really have room for GM Spirit Speak, is it still worthwhile? To my understanding, SS works similar to Eval, so it seems like I'd be gimping myself.

I

imported_GFY

No you don't need tactics or any other skill to use wrestling specials.

Well you do need to make a compromise somewhere. First I tried dropping wrestling. I spar with other members of my guild so I found out I was too weak vs dexxers, even with the blood oath spell.

Next I tried resist but when I spar vs a mage and he finds out I have no resist I'm toast.

The last thing I tried was meditation. If you have a high regen suit (mine is 11) and try fighting in wraith form you could be ok. You just need to closly manage your mana.

But like I said I never quite got the nhang of necro magery. I would try the necro board for more and possibably better info.

As for SS you need as much as possible. Most players say you can get by with 105 necro however.

M

Mr Mischief

I think I've decided on a build, I just need to fine tune it.

Current / Future

Magery 110 / 120
Eval Int 110 / 120
Med 110/120
Resist 100 / 120
Macing 0 / 120 &lt;-- Not sure about this, dunno which of the 3 is best, or even archery
Tactics 0 / 120

Not entirely sure about my stats either, I'm leaning towards fencing because it's a little less dex needy, and I'd rather sell my 25 stat scroll atm, I need the money.

Probably 95/25/110, with all upgrades going into dex.

Thoughts, suggestions?

I

imported_GFY

I have fought more then a few guild members with similar templates. Some archers, swords, and even fencers. A good mage will eat you alive. I'm not that great and tanks in my guild don't fight me much any more.

You'll have a slower swing speed because your dividing stat points for mana and dex and health. You'll have lower mana for the same reason. A good wrestle mage will keep you disarmed and will probably have more mana then you do. never a good combination for a mage.

The recent changes in game have pretty much weakened the tank mage concept to almost death. It really is better ATM to chose between warrior and mage in stead of trying to combine the two.

M

Mr Mischief

<blockquote><hr>

I have fought more then a few guild members with similar templates. Some archers, swords, and even fencers. A good mage will eat you alive. I'm not that great and tanks in my guild don't fight me much any more.

You'll have a slower swing speed because your dividing stat points for mana and dex and health. You'll have lower mana for the same reason. A good wrestle mage will keep you disarmed and will probably have more mana then you do. never a good combination for a mage.

The recent changes in game have pretty much weakened the tank mage concept to almost death. It really is better ATM to chose between warrior and mage in stead of trying to combine the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on your playstyle. I was doing some testing on the TC yesterday, and even with being disarmed, since the way I play, a good 75% of my damage at least comes from magery, so disarming me really doesn't set me back that much outside of making it easier to interrupt me.

But, I'll give it some time, if it doesn't work out well, I can always do something else, all I'm doing is working archery and tactics anyway, it's not like weapon skills are difficult to gain.

I

imported_GFY

All I'm saying is if your standing (so to speak) around disarmed... that whole portion of your template is waisted for that time. All the items and skills you place into that part of your template are sitting in your back pack waiting to be rearmed. Why not go all mage (or necro or whatever) and max out the potential of the part of your template that you use for 75% of your damage already.

M

Mr Mischief

<blockquote><hr>

All I'm saying is if your standing (so to speak) around disarmed... that whole portion of your template is waisted for that time. All the items and skills you place into that part of your template are sitting in your back pack waiting to be rearmed. Why not go all mage (or necro or whatever) and max out the potential of the part of your template that you use for 75% of your damage already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do indeed see your point. Luckily I have two of these guys waiting to be toyed with, as well as the TC to fine tune things. The only issue is, I'm imagining pure mages are a bit more gear reliant than other classes (namely for resists, FC/FCR, LMC and SDI). Suggestions on how to go about grabbing some good pieces would be lovely.

Presume it's pure mage, 5x120 with GM scribe and probably 20 focus, btw.

I

imported_Lightning

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on your playstyle. I was doing some testing on the TC yesterday, and even with being disarmed, since the way I play, a good 75% of my damage at least comes from magery, so disarming me really doesn't set me back that much outside of making it easier to interrupt me.

But, I'll give it some time, if it doesn't work out well, I can always do something else, all I'm doing is working archery and tactics anyway, it's not like weapon skills are difficult to gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also depends on your playstyle. A tank/mage now adays, unless you know exactly what you are doing, is made for group play. You can damage in close grinder situations - and with the right template can be a dismounter. I would not suggest macing personally.... Archery would seem the way to go. Let me explain:

An archer can fight from a distance... just like you'd prefer your mage to do. So, you dismount, and mana dump.. they take the hit off the dismount, poison, and dump everything you've got on them... that's if it's 1v1 or 1v2.. where this template will excel is group fighting. You are able to dismount consistently, and also cross-heal your guildies... normally the disadvantage of an archer/dexxer is the lack of xhealing/rezzing quick... with this template you have the rezzing/healing, as well as the dismount... also you can equip a comp bow and use armore ignore for best damage possible as an archer.

Just an idea

I

imported_GFY

This is the MAGE board so we'll stay on mage topics. I do play a bushido archer also but I won't discuss that here.

As far as gear is concerned, any tmeplate out there is gear intense these days. You need 45 hci mana leech, hp regen, etc., etc. Magery is no different. However if your making a tank mage template your running into even more problems because your combining 2 different types of items for your template. You need all the hci stuff a dexxer needs PLUS the magery stuff a mage needs.

As far as magery goes you can get along with a few items that aren't that expensive, and save up for or hunt for the ubber items later. Magery items can be gotten off of swoops maisma's doom mini bosses, basically any higher level monsters. You can get decent rings, bracelets, armor pieces, etc. I put together most of my equipment in this way. I did purchase a couple of items that I don't like to be without.

Rune Beetle Carapise (best mage chest piece IMHO)

Totem of the Void (can be looted from swoops etc. but I bought mine)

You can always try Doom for some of the ubber mage items. (Hat of the Magi, Orniment of the Magician, etc...)

M

Mr Mischief

Yea, I've decided where I'm going, finally. I'm very fickle at times, I know. I'm sticking with pure mage. I ran around on the TC again last night, tried a couple of hybrid specs, etc., pure just feels more comfortable to me.

It's also partly because I really don't want to have to worry about skilling up tactics and a fighting skill from 40-115ish, when my wrestle is already sitting there. The way I see it, I either grind two tedious, cheap abilities (in macing and tactics), or I grind one, in Inscription, which I've already purchased some 20k scrolls to get going.

Basically, I'll be using a soulstone to give Scribe to one of my mages (working two would be unadvisable), and should end up with the following on each, without any additional scrolling:

115 Wrestle
110 Mage
110 Eval
110 Med
105-110 Resist
100 Scribe
~70 Focus

I would look into poisoning, but thats definantly not a battle I'd like to get into, though I would almost consider dropping wrestling and tossing over Healing and Anatomy, but considering how absurdly difficult it can be killing geared people without running groups to do so, I don't think more solo survivability will land me many kills when taken over 10% more damage. As well as once again needing to retrain skills.. I played enough of the leveling game in WoW, I just want to be able to finish training my character so that I may actually play the bloody thing for fun.

Now that my spec is decided upon, any suggestions on battle tactics? I've tried a few combos here and there on the TC, but very little is reliable enough to really use as a guideline, and with the high poison resist rates, as well as orange petals and cure pots, I don't think poison spamming is worth anything but wasting mana. Granted, thats probably different on the live shards, but even then, any of the people that I'd actually need help with will be smart enough to run geared to the teeth.

Lastly, since this is the mage forum, and Resist is a mage skill, what is the penultimate way to raise it now, since the Jewelry exploit was fixed? I'm sitting around 86 on one of my guys, and 98ish on the other, merely casting air ele's and letting them blow me up. This is decent for gains, but I'm curious if there's any well kept secrets that anyone wouldn't mind making public.

Q

Qikdraw

Well I'm not a pvp'r So I don't know how well my template would hold up, but here is my current template. () is what I am shooting for.

120 Focus
115 Meditation (120)
110 Eval Int (120)
104 Magery (120) (have 110 scroll on him now, just working it up)
101 Magic Resist (120) (have a 115 scroll, and am currently working this up, so by tonight I should have a bit more)
90 Scribe (100)

My main thought is mana regen, which is why I have focus as well. Back before I quit (3 years ago, I'm back now) I had a mage with 120 mage, eval, med, focus, resist, and GM alchemy. Between throwing GE and casting I was able to do more damage than a tamer at champ spawns. Cast till 0 mana, then throw pots, wait till mana regens (quickly with that setup) then rinse and repeat.

It probably would not stand up to PvP battles though.

Qikdraw

M

Mr Mischief

<blockquote><hr>

Well I'm not a pvp'r So I don't know how well my template would hold up, but here is my current template. () is what I am shooting for.

120 Focus
115 Meditation (120)
110 Eval Int (120)
104 Magery (120) (have 110 scroll on him now, just working it up)
101 Magic Resist (120) (have a 115 scroll, and am currently working this up, so by tonight I should have a bit more)
90 Scribe (100)

My main thought is mana regen, which is why I have focus as well. Back before I quit (3 years ago, I'm back now) I had a mage with 120 mage, eval, med, focus, resist, and GM alchemy. Between throwing GE and casting I was able to do more damage than a tamer at champ spawns. Cast till 0 mana, then throw pots, wait till mana regens (quickly with that setup) then rinse and repeat.

It probably would not stand up to PvP battles though.

Qikdraw

[/ QUOTE ]

Get yourself a SotM and you'd do fine in PvP, just try to stick to group fighting.

I

imported_GFY

I would boost the skills to 115 (not too expensive) and lower my focus as I raise skill. I would work up to 120 as I could afford/aquire the scrolls. (you won't be disapointed. Try Eval and resist first!)

As far as tactics go thats a whole big can of worms! Everyone likes to do something a little different! Just starting out I would run with protection on. Many will say it's only for noobs but you need to get the hang of casting offense and deffense before you can start to excell. I'd rather have my heal or cure go off a bit slower but make sure it doesn't get disturbed. (Thats just me!)

Now that we've got ya carrying a spellbook and wrestling the thing to do is make some potion chugging macros and use them liberally! With the delay in drinking heals a good stratagy (I swear by) is the first time you take damage chug a pot. This will give you time to heal and let your timer tick down so you can drink another one.

Now offense: I like to start big then go from there. Explosion, Flame Strike is my favorite opening combo. Then try a poison. If it works you can suspect they have low resist (you'd be shocked how many player have low or NO resist!) Then cast a quick spell like fireball 3-4 times. If they cure the poison hit them with paralize. If they have no resist their dead! Explosion para, repeat till dead!

If your fighting dexxers I'd avise carrying refresh pots. Keep an eye on your stamina and when your going for a disarm make sure it's maxxed! Macers are really bad here. They drain stamina with every hit, and if your stamina dropps you won't be able to disarm them. Dexxers need stamina and their weapon to beat you. Disarm is your favorite move! Start a dexxer off with 3 quick mind blasts. This spell drains their stamina and lowers there swing speed making them easier to disarm. Once disarmed I like to Exp/FS and sometimes I like to throw in a Exp/poison/FS. This works well with mages the poison can interupt a heal spell. If they rearm hit your disarm macro again then hit them with small spells MB/Fireball is very good to do some damage and keep stamina down. Also try hitting him with a mana vampire. Dexxers don't have much mana and if you drain it at the wrong moment... no chiv heals/cures, no special moves! Another thing about lower stamina. If his stamina drops too far he won't be able to run away!

If your fighting a dexxer it is a very good idea to keep protection on so you don't get inturpted to death.

Necros are a royal pain for me. I really can't say what to use because I don't have much sucess against them. Stay with small spells and watch out for their de-buffs. If you start to inturpt them keep at them. If you get blood oath, corp skin or evil omen... RUN LIKE HECK! 120 resist really helps here making the spells duration much shorter. (Especially if they have less then 120 SS)

Lastly make sure you try different tactics. If you do the same thing too often your opponent will get used to what you do and counter it. Keep a close eye on your health and use pots and heals generously. The better you heal the harder you are to kill. You can't win a fight if your already dead!

Finally if you have any questions about tactics, drop me a PM and I'll try to help ya!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

When did they raise SDI from 15% for pvp to 25%? if you have the 15% sdi with scribe it will stack to make 25%?

I

imported_GFY

CORRECT!

For pvp you get a 10% SDI bonus from 100 inscribe. This combines with and is not capped by the 15% SDI bonus you get from items. This gives scribe mages a 25% SDI cap. It may not seem like mutch but when your throwing spell combos 2-3-4 at a time... it does add up VERY QUICKLY!