• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Back After 6 Years, 1 Month... And Happy, If Very Very Confused!

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all; some of you may remember me from way back when... I used to play as Aron Swordmaster for the [Sosarian Red Cross] between 2001 and 2003. A combination of factors led to my wandering onwards from these lands, some real life, some just related to perhaps needing a break from the game itself...

Over the years, I played many more such games; I made it to level 70 in World of Warcraft before the mechanical, rote nature of raiding revealed itself and made me want to scream, but not before I'd grinded my way to 17th on my server for PvP... oh dear, why did I ever do that? I was there for the last days of Tabula Rasa, although not the earlier ones which in part is perhaps why it failed... a most disappointing end event it was too, but that's another story! I still have the odd few months here and there in City of Heroes, and my heroic super-cow goes from strength to strength there, although dressing up as the Bovine Avenger for a super hero themed party just made everyone think I was a furry...!

And so it went, but I always remembered my time here as a period of much greater creativity and even companionship... there has always been a better sense of community and role-playing here, where you were not defined by your loot or the dungeons you'd raided. But there was also that sense of loss too, which I don't want to dwell too much upon due to it's real life nature; however just recently real life has seemed to offer the prospect of really turning around, and in doing so, banished some of the ghosts of the past for me. I felt rather more comfortable than I'd ever done about Ultima Online, and due to many weeks of shameless badgering from The Black Cobra, I finally gave in, and thought I would dip my toe back in once more...

To say I'm confused is an understatement though! I spent the first 5 hours lost on Occlo, because when I left I gave away my entire gold (about 10 million in 2003 figures) and everything I owned of any worth, so I appeared butt-naked on an island with no moongate. I scrabbled together reagents plucked fresh from the ground, and set bears onto bears to get the money to buy a basic Level 4 spellbook, and then recalled out to the only rune I had, to the 18x18 I'd placed on opening day on Malas. I already knew what to expect, sadly, as the person I'd passed it onto had let it, and the museum of Ultima rares I'd built it into, collapse due to account expiration. I hope many of them were saved from the rubble, but I doubt I'll ever know now. And someone else owns a house in the same rough spot today; I appeared next to it, tried to say hello, but with no answer, it was time to move on.

I then ran to the moongate in Luna, and recalled to Britain... and then back to Luna when I was told this was where the merchants lived now, not around Britain Moongate as it once was. I alas could find neither full spell book nor cheap runebook, so had to wait until Mr Cobra came online, to outfit me in a garishly mismatched set of armor and books; none of which makes any sense at the moment! What are all these strange values, and how on earth do I work out which to keep in a reasonable amount of time?!

At some point I must sit down and wrestle with this. And also the new Enhanced client. I used to use Third Dawn, so the controls at first were not too daunting. But it's still a beta, so I was struggling with so much else! As you can see, before I'd even been outfitted, the Cobra and I ran to the unfolding GM event. Or do you call them EMs now? And I had no idea what was happening there either; Who are all these characters? I've got 6 years of Lore to catch up on! But I did at least remember, eventually, that you needed to be in combat mode when dead to be seen as a ghost! And what about those macros? I used to have ones set in Third Dawn which would use Last Object on Last Target, IE bandages on pets, but now it seems I need something more subtle? And did Vetinary always work on magical summons? It does now apparently! Thus I used a fire elemental and the cloth I'd put together in Occlo to smack around a Nightmare in Ileshenar and get my first true combat pet again... and then both of us promptly died to a Paragon Fire Elemental when I made the mistake of fighting a little with him straight away. Oh dear, those are rather stronger than expected aren't they? So I ran back, lured him away, and tamed a second... But still I have so much to learn!

I'm not sure for how long I shall play this time; I did purchase Stygian Abyss, but I doubt it will be 2+ years as I did before... However it would be nice to achieve my dream then of at least getting and placing the old shape villa somewhere near Yew and settling down... the original Aron, in Ultima IV for the Sega was a Druid you see. I wonder if there is space for it these days? The lands seem much less crowded than they once were; But for now, it's great to be back, and to be able to wander around at my own pace! And I hope to see some of you again soon... for now though, I have a lot of reading to catch back up on!

RainQueen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back to these wondrous lands. It was touching to hear of your adventures on your first day back - and good to hear that you have a friend there to help you. As you well know, UO is not so much about who or what you kill as it is about friendships and community. That's what makes it special.

In the spirit of community, if you need a helping hand with getting back to speed ......... give me a shout on icq 441-733-090.

Have fun ......... and good luck :)

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back! :) So glad to see many returning players.

About the event you attended yesterday, They are EM events ran by the two Event Moderators on Europa - EM Emile Layne and EM Sarakan.

The ingame characters your likely to see are:

Nathan Hawke
Fynn Barett
and of course Queen Dawn.

Hope that helps a bit with EM events.

I'm still working on this website, but you can read about previous events this year and last year at my website www.europahistory.com

You can also find out when an EM event is happening by going to the offical EM website at http://europa.uoem.net or just keep an eye on these forums.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However it would be nice to achieve my dream then of at least getting and placing the old shape villa somewhere near Yew and settling down...
Hmm... by if by 'old shape villa' you have the square based one in mind, not the l-shape, that can be done - give me a shout over the general channel, or PM here ;)

Crest Lavender

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A very nice post indeed, enjoyed it a lot - thanks for that.

Have you been on the 2004 UO-Player-Meet in London? There was someone
called Aron if i remember right - might have been someone else though if you
quit in 2003.

Anyway another 'Welcome Back!' from another returning veteran :)

C

cheerful

Been playing for eleven years without a break and I'm still confused.

I thought you did well at the event, welcome back.

helenaa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back,

I am also one of the many returnies after wow, lotr and etc. (which realm btw?)

My first day was a bit the same. Was also naked and clueless. A lot has changed and it IS frustrating, BUT I've found that if you just go and do what you used to enjoy doing in UO not much has changed at all. So don't fret about the new stuff and all the stuff you lost..... just go and have fun.

The biggest change imo is that everyone is a lot friendlier because it's no longer crowded. People are very willing to help new or returning players.

Hf :)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to all for the welcomes back...! So far, I've continued to be a pet-less tamer, due to being unable to keep any companions alive for long enough to do fight any of the spawn I used to be able to handle; and as I've been unable to find anyone who might still have my wyrms or dragons from way back when, and currently both dragons and the new greater dragons eat me alive, I've been relying on Magery to fight for now whilst I wait for a Mare to bond at least...

It's been strange though, walking about and seeing all the housing space available; I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to place near Yew, where I always hoped to do so, but the basic floor plan for an 18x18, or a full Villa should be incredibly easy to achieve. It's the armour I'm still confused by; when I have a home I'll probably be able to centralize all my characters, and thus start crafting again comfortably, but for now I've just been trading in for greater and greater Luck gear, because that at least will allow me later, when I know what I'm looking for, to be able to catch up on the better stuff!

Today though, I'm going to sit down and really try to understand the Enhanced client's macro system... I keep losing either the bandages or the target, which is one thing making keeping my companions alive much harder... pets don't seem to get the heal/cure buttons on their health bar, which would help.

And no, I wasn't at the 2004 meeting, and yes I do mean the square shaped villa; I had dreams of "retiring" in one, and sitting on the little porch above listening to a Singing Ball... this was before Age of Shadows and custom housing, when player housing was full in both Trammel AND Felucca, and all I'd been able to afford was the small 3 floor tower, just north of Occlo. But after staying up for nearly 30 hours straight at AoS launch, and constant disconnections and server crashes and server resets, I finally, finally got in to see housing almost everywhere, but ran around with an 18x18 floorplan on my cursor and incredibly found a spot just east of Luna that hundreds of players seemed to have missed! So I never went for a Villa in the end... now though, for a while at least, I may ;)

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I've a rune marked for a villa spot quite near Yew, so shout if you are interested....

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nay need! I've found a place for myself now, it took a lot of fiddling, but I got one in immediately south of Empathy Abbey... hurrah! And thanks also to Cailleach for setting me up with a LRC suit, after I got looted during my first champion spawn in the Samurai lands... and yet, half way through a follow up run through Doom, the reagent bag magically appeared in my pack again! Interesting bug that. And especial thanks to John II, who I caught up with today, and who has held a bag of my personal mementos over the years, which included my first ever crafter-marked item, my first ever boat, the first treasure map I ever completed, runes to the two Plague Trees that I personally cured during the Yew Plague event (they've since been deleted, and the map modified again; one was under what is now "The Sturdy Bow" in Yew, the other near the Abbey)... and more besides!

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ack, the vanish out of pack bug - my poor lil swords girl has had it happen with her glasses, for a couple of very bad days and a charger of the fallen for a very much worse 10 days.

Thing is, we all know that bug reports are worse than useless. Things like the insurance bug have been around for years, and EA seem to have no interest whatsoever in doing anything about it :(

TheBlackCobra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Voran's crafted arms poofed yesterday, to my horror... only to find they were still there and equipped, just had no graphic. Fun!

*edit - arms, not shoulders. Damn you, That Other Game We Don't Mention!*

F

feath

hey Adol! I'm back after 15 months, and feel just as confused as you. New pack, new everything it seems. and I have a new computer, so no macros still there. I can't even remember how to re-set them.
I'm just crafting and doing easy stuff to re-adjust myself to the game again.
Good luck with your journeys!

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hail Aron!

Welcome back to these lands.

Heh, I fought side by side with you in the Sleeping Dragon spawn and in Doom. I remember you calling out if anyone had seen the bag that was looted by a Revenant lion. Even though my arrows took down many lions I couldn´t find your bag. Glad to hear you found it at last.

Was a fun night... :)

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hai Aron, thanks for sharing your adventures, a very enjoyable read!! The new systems will grow on you over time, and you seem to take things 1 step at a time. Like picking a day to really sit down for the macros. BTW, we, and with us many other players, still play classic client, so that may also be an option.
And always nice to see ppl return indeed! Confirmation of the depth and community of UO! Welcome back returnees!!! :grouphug: