• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Axer build, Chiv or Healing?

InfinitePudding

Adventurer
So I want to specialize in axes, for fun and profit. I'm still leaning the game again as I had been gone for ten years. But I was hoping for some advice.

As I recall having lumberjacking on your template would give you a good boost to axe damage, and I can't fit it on my mule so I thought putting it on a warrior would be a good way to have my cake and eat it too.
I was wondering if it's better to have the healing skill or chivilry since I could just close wounds?
So here is the build I was thinking of

120 swords
120 Anat
120 tactics
100 lumber jacking
120 Parry
120 Healing or however much chiv you all suggest.
And some leftover points in whatever you guys suggest.

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
*Tldr; Lumberjacking is inferior to current skills unless you are in unique circumstances.

That may have been a decent template ten years ago, and it may do ok solo vs a dragon or daemons, but anything else you will find your power lacking.

When I came back this past September, I learned that you need an AoE game or a one-shot killing game to handle spawn and large mob groups and a single target game (paragons, bosses) and capping the two damage ceilings was critical.

I read there is a 300% damage ceiling on your weapon's skills and str damage and another on your slayer/Chiv/Bushi/Honor of 300%. Hitting those caps will make your dps game relevant and formidable. Lumberjack can go above the 300% cap by 30%. (Weapon Mastery passive adds 5 to the 300% cap also.)

I've tried fitting Lumberjacking on a template but it doesn't compare to what other skills bring so it's really an inferior option.

It will allow you to go over the 300% dmg cap (hitting like 326% or 330% with Mastery) or so I've read, digging through forums.

But the return is inferior.

Typical Sampiredin I found was:

120 Swords
120 Tactics
100 Anat
60 Chiv
120 Bushi
100 Parry
100 Nec

With a slayer weapon you about hit damage cap. This is minimal work into gear.

But adding in LJ would cause you to lose out on damage % as you'd have to replace Chivalry or Bushido with LJ.

Chiv can get you: 82 + 15 = 97% (Enemy of One EoO and Consecrate Weapon CW) This is at 120 Chiv and 10K Karma. But even 60 Chiv is still 50%. You also get numerous skills like healing, cures, and removing curses.

Bushido can get you: Up to 100% with Perfection System (honoring a target.) You also get numerous skills like Evasion and Whirlwind bonus damage.

So, the 30% you can get from Lumberjacking is just lower by comparison. It adds no other benefits. (Well, you can harvest.)

All that being said, if you had a dedicated healer, you could probably drop the parry and add LJ and it would put you over the 300% damage cap, but the increase would be just a few points on dmg potential ---hardly a decent trade off I think to lose parrying. But min/maxing would be technically superior.

I guess though you could get away with no Chiv or Bushi, add multiple slayers and add LJ too and go that route. One slayer is 200%, then add a super slayer on talisman for 100% which is your 300%, but that presents several problems.

Cameos are 175 million+ and slayers won't address every mob type.

Though, maybe someone can confirm: undead on weapon + undead on cameo would be 200 afaik. Do these stack? If so, then with either Bushido or Chivalry, I think you can get away with LJ.

But again, you miss out on critical abilities.

You're deeps suffer if you lose Evasion or Remove Curse or need emergency heals or cures.

You might play around with your style and just see, really, once you're acclimated to the game again.

Last edited: