• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

G

This was a blog post today:

<blockquote><hr>

New Features in Avatar Book
Posted in Avatar Social Network by Michael on the March 6th, 2008

We are excited to share with you a few new features in our Facebook application, Avatar Book. Along with all of the moves to EA-Land, Avatar Book has also moved. Now you can find all of your EA-Land avatars in the application.

We have added “FB Friends”, so you can see which of your friends on Facebook are using Avatar Book. If they have made any of their avatars public, then you will be able to to see those avatars on this page. If you want to show your friends your avatars, don’t forget to update your settings on the link “Connect to Facebook”. In addition to being able to update your avatar’s status and write on other avatar’s walls, you can now poke other avatars as well. Sorry, there is only poking for now, no hot kissing… yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one not using Avatarbook? I just don't get it. I like the part where if you have a message on Avatarbook, you get an in-game email. Other than that, I guess I'm confused as to how it could be useful?

I use Web 2.0 Social Networks in my real life. I'm on LinkedIn. I talk about movies through Netflix. I've got a book round robin on GoodReads. I've use Last.fm. It's not like I don't like stuff like that.

Someone want to tell me the pros of Avatar Book?
Or the cons?
Either would be appreciated.

p.s. a permanent link was added to Avatar Book to the main page of EAL/TSO Stratics today. If you haven't clicked through to Avatar Book from in-game to see what it is like, here's the direct link for you: link to Avatar Book

I

imported_Rare-Buyer

I like how you can see if your friends or particular lots are online very quickly without having to sign in. Other than that, I don't see much more of a purpose.

M

Monkeybear

I tried it when it came out but I was introduced to the "Buy Your Friends" app and I find that more exciting....

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I don't use it too much right now. I did find my google gadgets there kind of cool to use tho. I can see if my house is online from my google page.

G

I really enjoy FB and AB. Lately I havent had time to login there, I prolly have about 1000 requests waiting for me and a few messages lol.

As far as pros go, I also like that I can check and see if someone is online without logging in. Its a nice easy connection to my FB page too. You dont have to connect your AB page to your FB page, but if you choose to sims can just click on a link and learn more about you. My FB page is my sim name tho, so not much RL there except my picture.

The reason the devs are working on this is the social networking. People you make friends with on FB can find out more about EA Land by seeing it on your page. We have an app called I play TSO and that shows my sim, my city and my fave object. They are hoping we will attratct more players this way. Personally I've gotten about 5 new players in game just by meeting people on FB, so I have to say it works.

Warning, FB is quite addicting, there are lots of cool apps and games to play. However my new addiction to making CC has taken all my FB time.

Feel free to add me if you decide to make a FB page too!

G

Nope, I don't plan on using it anythime soon in EALand. Sorry!

H

HunnyBunny

I don't use it and have no plans to do so. I don't need "social networking" in my game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Am I the only one not using Avatarbook?

[/ QUOTE ]Nope, no plans to either.

G

Nope, no interest in facebook or avatarbook. I honestly have no idea what they even are! However, I am a myspace addict!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I'm NOT nosey...I'm NOT nosey...

I'm really not but I do have a nose and so I must say.....I do use it.

I still haven't gotten used to FaceBook though. I tend to think Myspace is more user friendly but that's ok. I'll figure out FaceBook sooner or later.

G

I use Facebook avidly. (is that a word?)

But I don't use AvatarBook. I lost interest when it didn't work properly at the beginning.

I think whoever should make a separate social network website just for the game, instead of trying to integrate it into an already very thorough, FaceBook.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I would think that avatar book could become a social network extension of the game. It is still a work in progress. If you have suggestions to make it better then I'm sure the devs are willing to listen. Why not use the facebook servers to host this game network? Sounds like good business sense to me.

As for everyone that states they do not believe in social networking, then you obviously are not playing the same TSO that I play. The whole game is a giant social network to me. This Avatarbook application is just an extension of that network that allows you to keep in touch with game friends when you are away and cannot login to the game.

Everyone complains about the top 100 list in the game and that we need better ways of searching for people and properties that we are interested in finding. I believe avatarbook can offer better search features than they could ever build into the game itself.

G

<blockquote><hr>

As for everyone that states they do not believe in social networking, then you obviously are not playing the same TSO that I play.

[/ QUOTE ]
C'mon, Gracie - some people just don't like it, that's all.

I

imported_TheCookieFamily

I don't use it yet...but I might.

I agree that the whole game is a giant social networking program, though
I think EAL has the potential of becoming an interactive version of Facebook or Myspace.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I use Web 2.0 Social Networks in my real life. I'm on LinkedIn. I talk about movies through Netflix. I've got a book round robin on GoodReads. I've use Last.fm. It's not like I don't like stuff like that.

Someone want to tell me the pros of Avatar Book?
Or the cons?
Either would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]Last.FM is pretty much the only Web 2.0 network I use on a semi-reliable basis (Look me up if you'd like - I'm Zenchick). Beyond that, I don't. I'm a social hermit in RL, and that's just the way I prefer to be.

But I have to admit I have poked around Avatarbook a time or three. Other than having to reenter my email and password EVERY! STINKIN'! TIME! I! ACCESS! THE! SITE! (regardless of how I set the Remember My Login checkmark), I actually find it fascinating! But then again, I get much of the same information off the EA-Land iGoogle Widget.

G

I don't think that is Laurents job. LOL Laurent is the one that does the web aps isn't he?

G

I doubt I'll use it. It took me 5 years to learn how to use YIM. I can't imagine how long it would take to learn to use Avatar Book.