• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Auto-Map - forced to rebuild data files each time I launch

W

Wizzzilk

Can anyone tell me why UO auto-map tells me that it has detected that the UO map files have changed and that the data files need to be rebuilt each time I launch the application? This has been happening for quite some time and I can't seem to figure out why.

Thanks!

S

scarletmoon

I'm having the same problem. I'm assuming that this is because tha pplication is no longer being updated or supported by its creator and something has happened in the last few UO patches as to cause this problem. Unfortunately - not much can be done about it since the creator did not release the source code for anyone to continue its maintenance.

G

Same for me, just click cancel when it prompts for that. The program is no longer being updated by the author, and it will not be turned over to anyone else to maintain either, as he has expressly stated on his website, so there will not be any updated map data files issued.

-Skylark

5% Luck

Im thinking that some one might be supporting it again. I recently found a post in the treasure hunters forum that had the treasure chest bmp (with all the chests marked out) that gave me a register icon on my desktop. Now the UOAM doesn't have this problem :)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Im thinking that some one might be supporting it again. I recently found a post in the treasure hunters forum that had the treasure chest bmp (with all the chests marked out) that gave me a register icon on my desktop. Now the UOAM doesn't have this problem :)

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be great, but the author seemed pretty clear on the no more support and no one else getting the code issue.

And if you are referencing the Tmap coordinate update stickied on the Treasure Hunters forum, I'm not really sure how that would put a registration icon on your desktop, as that would just be a text file modification of existing program config files, and not installing anything. Were you referring to something else?

The prompts on out of date files finally stopped for me after I canceled the messages enough, but I expect will return with the next game patch.

-Skylark

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<font color="#DC143C">I was able to stop my UOAM from giving me that succession of messages upon launching! I was so sick of clicking no no no no no so I fiddled with the settings (I'm at work now so I can't remember exactly what I did) and found a check list for each of the 5 facets (Tram/Fel/Malas/Ilsh/Tok) and unchecked ALL of the checked boxes and re-started UOAM and it no longer gives me those annoying messages anymore. I can look later when I'm home and try to remember exactly what I did - but it is possible to get rid of those messages
</font>

<font color="#483D8B">OK - Home now. Here's what I did: Click the MAP tab at the top of UOAM - the last few options of the MAP tab are "Felucca Map Performance Settings...", "Trammel Map Performance Settings..." etc. - Click on each of those and click the "Advanced &gt;&gt;" tab at the bottom of each. Un-click each of those check boxes. Exit UOAM and restart and those annoying messages should be gone... </font>

G

Umm, have you let it update them? (ie, just press OK and OK)? Cos I updated mine and it hasn't nagged me since! =)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Umm, have you let it update them? (ie, just press OK and OK)? Cos I updated mine and it hasn't nagged me since! =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that depends. I went through the pain of letting mine "rebuild" several times then finally realized it wasn't really getting anywhere, since it would prompt again the next time I started the application. Then I just started canceling the prompt...eventually it stopped prompting me on every restart of the application.

-Skylark

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just right clicked the UOAM file and set the properties to read only. No prompts to update since.

G

I wouldn't mind letting it update, if it actually did update so that we got New Haven. But it doesn't.

G

I stopped using UOAM long ago the program is outdated and no longer being updated by the creator. The guy that created it will not open up the source code for others for reasons unsaid.

Look for a new mapping program written in modern code soon though.

C

Coranthe

I update mine manually myself. It's a pain, but I have the benefit of having 8x8 resource grids on all my maps and New Haven with all sites labeled. As I said it's a pain to do and I'm not sure I want to start doing it for the masses everytime there's a map change. Anyone willing to reliably host a 30mb zip of the maps?

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
You do know that the resource grid is an exploit and bannable? UOAM is approved to use but you arent supposed to change the files by yourself, only things that are inside the game, like mark every t-map spot and copy that map around. But to get grid youve been altering the maps from outside which isnt allowed and bannable.