• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Attempting quest?

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
trying to do the tiger cub quest(save 5 tiger cubs) however poachers spawn repeatedly after i free the cub and the cub dies with 2-4 hits, on the occasion where i manage to block and kill the poachers more poachers spawn right on top of cub and cub dies. i can't help but notice the strong similarity of this quest to the free(buy store item) games, where no matter what you do, it is basically set up to make you to spend huge amounts of time(grind) to complete the quest by making it impossible or as close to as they can. This is of course to make you spend massive amounts of time on what amounts to a small amount of content. I could be just unlucky as I have attempted to save around 25 cubs and only managed 2 so far, as the poachers spawn and pretty much keep spawning till cub is dead(have only managed to block and kill 2 spawns at most and cub died to 3rd). Anyway is there any reason to do these quests, as i believe there are 6 of them, or can i just say to heck with it and delete them?

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do the quest on my mage bard and lost about 1 cub every 7 to 9 tries. Try to pick cages close to the bridge( less walking time for the cub is less chance of spawn), don't let the cub fight invis it as soon as you get spawn then attack/aggro the poachers and lead from the from the cub. Attempting to this quest on a char that can't invis the cub would be much harder.

Reactions: afk

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I do the quest on my mage bard and lost about 1 cub every 7 to 9 tries. Try to pick cages close to the bridge( less walking time for the cub is less chance of spawn), don't let the cub fight invis it as soon as you get spawn then attack/aggro the poachers and lead from the from the cub. Attempting to this quest on a char that can't invis the cub would be much harder.
did use invis and killed poachers, and as soon as cub popped up so did a new group of poachers and cub usually died before i could invis it again. cub sort of meanders all over the place including backwards for no apparent reason, also, what is the reward for completing quest? i've spent over 3 hours and basically saved two cubs out of 25 attempts, and those no poachers spawned. Will attempt to wait for cub to spawn near bridge if i do again, thx.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
attacking the cub with nothing equipped to make it chase you will get it moving in a more direct line to the bridge

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also you can cast heal on the cub or use vet if you're a tamer. There are several strategy's depending on which template you are using. I've done the quest dozens and dozens of times in order to get all the rewards. The quest reward itself is just a skull, but it is part of the 5 quest chain you need to do to get the real reward. There's a different quest in each village (except for the Barrab tribe) and each one has it's own challenges.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
just use a bard and peacemaking - it's easy :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Also you can cast heal on the cub or use vet if you're a tamer. There are several strategy's depending on which template you are using. I've done the quest dozens and dozens of times in order to get all the rewards. The quest reward itself is just a skull, but it is part of the 5 quest chain you need to do to get the real reward. There's a different quest in each village (except for the Barrab tribe) and each one has it's own challenges.
Is this quest chain the one that hit to introduce us to the land? Or did they make another quest chain?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
trying to do the tiger cub quest(save 5 tiger cubs) however poachers spawn repeatedly after i free the cub and the cub dies with 2-4 hits, on the occasion where i manage to block and kill the poachers more poachers spawn right on top of cub and cub dies. i can't help but notice the strong similarity of this quest to the free(buy store item) games, where no matter what you do, it is basically set up to make you to spend huge amounts of time(grind) to complete the quest by making it impossible or as close to as they can. This is of course to make you spend massive amounts of time on what amounts to a small amount of content. I could be just unlucky as I have attempted to save around 25 cubs and only managed 2 so far, as the poachers spawn and pretty much keep spawning till cub is dead(have only managed to block and kill 2 spawns at most and cub died to 3rd). Anyway is there any reason to do these quests, as i believe there are 6 of them, or can i just say to heck with it and delete them?
Try to take someone to help you. Like they said above, A peacer can stop the fight, invis the cub and while one leads the other occupies the red guys. And sometimes another group of reds appear.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Is it just assumed these days that you're playing a mage/peace or sampire or archer or tamer template?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it just assumed these days that you're playing a mage/peace or sampire or archer or tamer template?

That's the easy quest. The one in the volcano requires an undiscovered template.

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
just use a bard and peacemaking - it's easy :)
I am trying this on my GL with my disco/tamer, unfortunately i only have peace on my 4x bard and i transferred him to atlantic a couple weeks ago(more people there).

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ok just finished quest, doing cubs near bridge worked(no poachers spawned), will remember this as i believe some of the other ones are similar

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
On the quests:

A. The volcano quest is mind-numbingly easy for a tamer or mystic.
There's areas where the eruption doesn't go. If a Tamer, park a pet there and run to it if an ele pops.
Mystics can cast RCs, and unlike other pets the RC doesn't cause a karma hit when the eruption kills it, and, if not in combat (and sometimes even when in combat), will usually survive an eruption.
There are several different cycles going on in the the Volcano.
One, you need to do it solo, because the Volcano Spirit apparently gets angry and speeds up the timer between eruptions based on the number of people.
Two, there are times when the unstable condition spawns volcano eles for each person every time, while at other times no elementals spawn except from digging. The former is the more dangerous condition, but survivable (run toward the safe areas, either way, when the unstable alert comes - and always mine at the fringe of the caldera). If you are already in the safe area, an elemental won't spawn on you even if they spawn on people at the caldera, but the safe area is a good 2 screens south of the mining area.
Be sure to loot the volcano elementals - they have the ML mining gems that are used in a number of imbuing processes, including the amber and pearl, as well as, strangely, some of the plant resources from GM Llumberjacking.

B. As for the Tiger cubs, it's my most difficult one because of the red NPCs. My strategy is

Use a caster - a Mystic/Mage works best, but I've done it with a bard/tamer with magery. As you can take the 5 items to the Brit Camp with ANY character, you can use a different character for each of the 5 sub-quests if you wish.
2. Cast an RC (or 2 EVs) before messing with the lock. Invis when the stuff spawns. You may have to recast the RC after 1-2 reds die. Tamers can do similar, invising and letting their pet take on all three, and only emerging if the pet needs healing (and best to heal from range). Mages will have to recast EV a LOT.
3. Pull the cub's bar while it is still yellow. Then, go back to working the lock after the reds die.
4. Mages: Cast 2 controllable summons (earth eles, air eles or water eles are good 1 air and 1 water takes up 5 slots and gives you 2 more casters) - and heal up, before entering the last combination to drop the cage.
5. When the cub is freed, be prepared to invis when necessary. You will need to get the bad guys attacking you and your pets/summons before the cub reappears. Better yet, if you have provo, have them fight each other. Usually, the only time a cub moves away from the bridge (instead of toward) is when it attacks something, is about to die, or has blocking terrain you can't see because of circle of transparency. Heal cub when necessary.

C. Turtle Eggs
Similar to the tiger cub, but ramped up.
One, pets or RCs, combined with invisibility, for the initial spawn.
Two, casters need to switch to controllable summons for the hatching, as RCs, EVs, BSs, and nature's Fury will go after the turtle
Three, don't use area effect spells when the turtle is out. You can't heal the turtle, or invis it. However, a Mass Curse affects it and the reds at the same time, so don't.
Lastly, the turtle just has to outlive the red spawn - it's not going anywhere. Barding skills for this area are disco and provo more than peace, as the turtle is much better at fighting back, and can dispatch all 3 if you disco them all, and have two of the reds beating on each other while the turtle eats the 3rd for its first meal. But, it works better if you have pets, elementals or pixies/imps beating on the reds as well.

Oh, in all cases, watch out for Myrmidex spawn when things die. For T-Rex and the Ape, the spawn can be deadly even for a group, and at the other areas, even a lowly trapper, poacher or volcano ele can spawn myrmidex warriors that can catch a solo quest worker unaware (especially if they are still fighting the other spawn).

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
What about the T-Rex and Great Ape quests? Those are the ones I have a problem with.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
T-Rex & Great Ape: Find Friends to go with you, and make sure everyone has the quest for that boss (people without the quest can't hurt the critters).

Great Ape is relatively easy, can be done by 2-3 people quickly (I've heard of people soloing but it takes too long). Best templates are tamers or mystics.
Bring the Ape out of his cavern - you'll die a lot if you stay where he can play Donkey Kong with you with the barrels. Fight him instead in the tunnels. He'll teleport back home a few times, so make sure you have someone that can survive 3-4 barrel hits when going back in to have him chase you.
Note that Nether Cyclone tends to kill all the smaller gorillas in the AoE before they can hit you with their exploding bananas (why do I think the programmers spent too much time playing DK as a kid, and playing Gorilla in Q-Basic on their school computer labs?).
Familiarize yourself with the pits where you can get teleported to by the Ape - memorize where you can escape the pits and run back out quickly.

T-Rex: You can't have too many friends, and you really need to be mostly tamers. The T-Rex usually is between the bridges, in one of the swamps or the clearing. He tends to rubber-band back to his spawn point.
All the local spawn is dangerous, with the exception of the frogs. Don't let the turtle spawn fool you - the non-champ Allosaurs and dimes have many times more HP than their Turtle spawn counterparts.
The last T-Rex my friends and I did, we had to kill multiples of all the other dinos except Triceratops just to EVENTUALLY get T-Rex where we could focus on him (and even then, we actually provoed some of the other dinos on the T-tops). A VERY GOOD Provo/Disco bard can be invaluable to help out the tamers (or have a disco tamer and a provo tamer). Cross-healing the pets is a MUST. Consider having the provo bard use the invigorate mastery only, if partied.
If you bring a non-tamer caster, the Mystic is best, and spend all your time not recasting your RC casting cleansing winds on the pets.
Melee characters probably fare the worst here - T-rex can do 70-80 per hit, so if the T-rex focuses on a melee character, they might not last long. In the other hand, Aloron's armor (takes up 4 slots, so you can build the rest of the suit around it) and its Dinosaur slayer property can be useful if you can somehow stay alive.

Oh, and if the T-Rex dying causes a Myrmidex spawn, may God have mercy on your souls. The couple times it has happened to us, we got 15-20 Myrmidex WARRIORS suddenly appear, and it was so bad that people were unable to loot their OWN corpses (plural... MANY times plural), let alone the T-Rex's.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
seen that one something about getting rocks from volcano, did not try it yet.
I use a stealth ninja in wolf form for this one. Just stealth around digging near the center of the pit. Stay far enough from the eles that their aura doesn't hit you. When the volcano erupts, you can shadow jump over the lava. The only thing that will get you is when the lava gets really pissy and goes full on psyco and fills up the whole screen.