• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Atlantic Tram totals… over 9.5 billion gold into the "gold sink" Lotto.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I took some readings shortly before shard down, just before the lotto was paid out. I was actually watching the whole time… see if we would hit my estimate and that was made a few days ago, then it doubled and then some.

Only watching the 2k unlimited lots: (tickets sold)

SE1 – 643,802
SE2 – 417,128
SE3 – 232,259
SE4 – 705,840
C1 – 1,091,105 (2,182,210,000 gold spent!!!)
SW5 – 257,257
SW2 – 215,241
SW1 – 470,150
SW3 – 431,738
SW4 – 291,537

Total gold sunk into the “gold sink” (Tram only) 9,512,114,000.

10k 1 ticket per account high: C3 – 1191 (closest to old Goodmans)

Now to see what record asking prices these winners try to unload these 15x15 lots for. :) I’m sure it will be record breaking! hehe

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hm if a plot is valued at 2 bil and the exchange rate is 50 cents per mil then...these houses will never sell. Hahaha. People will need to take real life loans out to buy virtual homes.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Now to see what record asking prices these winners try to unload these 15x15 lots for. :) I’m sure it will be record breaking! hehe

I thought the Lottery was organized to actually have players win the Lots and use them.....

Really all or most of the winners just intend to sell them ???

Is really this what Ultima Online has become ? Just grab all opportunities that may come to make gold and the more the better ?

If players feel that it is so necessary to make gold to play the game and the more the better, perhaps the Developers need to re-think their design of the game because this really back fires against new or returning players thus lowering the chances for UO to increase its active subscriptions in a significant way......

I do not think it as a good thing for the game that players would need to feel that gold is so important in Ultima Online to enhance their enjoyment of the game. It might deter perspective players from actually wanting to activate a subscription to play UO.

That's at least how I see it.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*syphons lottery money as direct deposit into bank accounts*

I'm rich!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps, players have been "placing to sell" since Tram opened up. I can't speak about any housing pre Tram, but you can safely say that UO has a lot of players who want to sell plots. It always had those players...

But there are other players too, not all the plots will be sold.

The only reason a player would be deterred from playing UO because "gold is important" is because a player was foolish and told them it was hard to make gold and that every player must have a lot of gold to succeed. Neither of which are true. And neither has much to do with the Magincia lottery....

Wenchy

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps, players have been "placing to sell" since Tram opened up. I can't speak about any housing pre Tram, but you can safely say that UO has a lot of players who want to sell plots. It always had those players...

But there are other players too, not all the plots will be sold.

The only reason a player would be deterred from playing UO because "gold is important" is because a player was foolish and told them it was hard to make gold and that every player must have a lot of gold to succeed. Neither of which are true. And neither has much to do with the Magincia lottery....

Wenchy

If gold ain't so important to play Ultima Online, then why so many players in this game are after gold and also in such large quantities of gold ?

If it ain't important to play the game, players should not much want to bother with it.

Yet, I see it everywhere.

The most often asked question is "make offer" and the higher the better.
Often, the second after one gets an EM Event or some other new item, it goes up for sale in global chat.

I seem to understand from your post that you say that gold is irrelevant to play Ultima Online and yet, I see it as being VERY important to many, many players.

And I do have read posts from returning or new players lamenting their difficulties to enjoy the game because of their lack of funds.

So I wonder, is it or not important to enhance one's own playing of this game ?

The answer can only be one, either it is, or it is not, IMHO.

Now which is the correct answer ?

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find myself agreeing with popps. I guess I should just shoot myself now eh?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If gold ain't so important to play Ultima Online, then why so many players in this game are after gold and also in such large quantities of gold ?

If it ain't important to play the game, players should not much want to bother with it.

Yet, I see it everywhere.
I know from personal experience how easy gold is to get now, so this whole panic of poor new players is just talk IMHO. I'm no super player in UO so if I can manage it easily, anyone can. I sat opposite a returning player and watched him overtake my game wealth in a week. Casual play, no help from me and basic gear and skills. It's just a case of making the effort. Some folk just want the rewards more easily than others.

I seem to understand from your post that you say that gold is irrelevant to play Ultima Online and yet, I see it as being VERY important to many, many players.
UO mirrors RL when it comes to currency. People pursue wealth like crazy things, thinking it'll solve problems and make them happy. Actually gold is just a currency, nothing more. If you want to buy something, go gather and trade for the gold you need for that item. Other games work with the same principle :)

Now, I think it's time to let this thread get back to its original topic.

Wenchy

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know from personal experience how easy gold is to get now, so this whole panic of poor new players is just talk IMHO.

Mind you, not me talking but a returning player.......

http://vboards.stratics.com/1941131-post4.html

Please if it is so easy explain how so. How is it easy for a Casual Player or new player. Maybe this is why UO does not get more NEW people.

Now, I think it's time to let this thread get back to its original topic.

This thread is about gold, billions of gold and why it is a good thing they exited the game.... I think we are staying on the topic being discussed........

Inflation hurts the game, it hurts new and returning players but if the Developers really want to fight inflation in their game this means that they have to turn to the only thing which can fight inflation effectively, price competition.

This means finally stopping to listen to the wealthy Luna owners and give to the game a global vendor search function. This way new or returning players will feel less left out.

Monopolies cause prices to go up. That is why in the real world there is anti-trust agencies to make sure that there is always as much price competition as possible.

This does not happen in Ultima Online, as I see it, and the Haves usually get more protection that the Haves not.

At least this is my perception.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps…

I agree with you 100%… but you would have to know that there is a big criminal element to the UO worlds that has players using illegal means to find and replace falling houses, solely for the design of turning a profit. These people are billionaires on shards like Atlantic and they even have the mentality that they are heroes somehow. Like people can't go out and find their own IDOC house and try and place a house. When I was new, every time even the smallest house would start to fall… 20-30 people would show up. I was a new player without hope of getting a house. I hate those profit guys, even today. They, like the book dropping gold sellers are villains in our game world and it's the staff who doesn’t do much about it. You still have to roll with the punches.

And yes… many other shard people were coming to Atlantic just in hopes of landing these Maginica houses… to make money for themselves. The fact 10 of the 22 lots were unlimited is very geared to the super-rich players, unlike the 12 1 ticket only per account… but even then, the pro-house sellers have many accounts just for “business”. Nothing you can really do about it… other then like me… not take part in the lotto at all, because I didn’t… and I have no interest in buying one of the houses. “I’ll keep my little empire where it is, thank you.” was the drum I was beating this whole time, as a town owner… community leader, and 10 year vet.

FACT is… yes, you need gold to build your own empire… but that means getting away from the bank, explore the world… and do a little work with your play time. How many times, I will never know… I have tried to share how to make honest money in game with my fellow players, even giving them flat out limitless offers for items if they don’t want their own vendor… I never get any takers. The player today just doesn’t want to work and yet like in real life, no money in UO still makes bums. More then the gold… it's about the adventure! It astounds me why people sit around the banks doing nothing day in and day out. Only time you see me at the most populated bank is when I’m selling something too big for vendors.

When I was just getting my skills up, I made over 50 million gold selling savage kin paint over a years time… 5k a pop, because no one could keep up with demand… hunting savages 2-3 hours a day, every day of the week. We didn’t even have those no-regs suits then! Gold and riches can be found so easily in this world for those willing… unlike real life.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps…

I agree with you 100%… but you would have to know that there is a big criminal element to the UO worlds that has players using illegal means to find and replace falling houses, solely for the design of turning a profit. These people are billionaires on shards like Atlantic and they even have the mentality that they are heroes somehow. Like people can't go out and find their own IDOC house and try and place a house. When I was new, every time even the smallest house would start to fall… 20-30 people would show up. I was a new player without hope of getting a house. I hate those profit guys, even today. They, like the book dropping gold sellers are villains in our game world and it's the staff who doesn’t do much about it. You still have to roll with the punches.

Not sure if it is still being done, but I remember years back that some were able to get info from the data stream and at server up know exactly which houses were about to fall and where.... That's why I never bothered with IDOCs, why would I waste my time walking around to look for Falling Houses when I would then face others at those locations who spent hardly anytime to find them ? No thanks.

The real problem, I think, is a game catering more for the "Haves" rather than for the "Haves not".

It is funny when I read about all concerns with Ultima Online subscriptions not going up.
I mean, when the GAP between existing, wealthy and uber developed players and new or returning players is so vast, how can one be surprised that the game lags in getting active subscriptions ??

What is really the point, I wonder -if the best interest of THE GAME is the one at heart here-, is that changes to the game, as I feel it, tend to cater those who already have lots to get more, rather than those who have little or nothing.....

There is people who has not 1, but 2 even 3 Castles and then Luna Houses, and then Tokuno Houses, then now Magincia Houses, sits on billions of gold and the game still has received no Vendor Global Search capabilities which would help new or returning players to more easily find what they need at more decent prices or allow them to sell their wares even from their tiny house in whatever wood it may be..........

Is there even a Grand Master Plan to help Ultima Online gain more active subscriptions ?

Sometimes I wonder..........

And yes… many other shard people were coming to Atlantic just in hopes of landing these Maginica houses… to make money for themselves. The fact 10 of the 22 lots were unlimited is very geared to the super-rich players, unlike the 12 1 ticket only per account… but even then, the pro-house sellers have many accounts just for “business”. Nothing you can really do about it… other then like me… not take part in the lotto at all, because I didn’t… and I have no interest in buying one of the houses. “I’ll keep my little empire where it is, thank you.” was the drum I was beating this whole time, as a town owner… community leader, and 10 year vet.

That is a VERY good example how design can hurt players.

I think that Atlantic players have been greatly hurt by the way this Lottery has been designed and held because the greed has worked like a magnet diluting the tickets that actual, real Atlantic players might have purchased, with the plethora of non-Atlantic players all jumping there to grab tickets for the sole purpose of profiting from the re-sale of the plots, not to actually use them on Atlantic.

So, real, actual atlantic players rather then seeing their chances at getting a Magincia House be compared among the actual Atlantic players, had to see their hope greatly diluted over a huge number of tickets grabbed by non Atlantic players.

This is why I really think it would be about time that the game got a Vendors Global Search system. This way, it would not matter where a vendor was, all players would get equal chances at selling. The question is, though, will the Developers not listen to the various Luna, Tokuno or now Magincia owners (who often are mostly all the same players or from the same Guilds....) ??

FACT is… yes, you need gold to build your own empire… but that means getting away from the bank, explore the world… and do a little work with your play time. How many times, I will never know… I have tried to share how to make honest money in game with my fellow players, even giving them flat out limitless offers for items if they don’t want their own vendor… I never get any takers. The player today just doesn’t want to work and yet like in real life, no money in UO still makes bums. More then the gold… it's about the adventure! It astounds me why people sit around the banks doing nothing day in and day out. Only time you see me at the most populated bank is when I’m selling something too big for vendors.

In a game where many players have already everything, or have characters so beefed up that whenever anything new comes up THEY are the ones who get it first, new or returning players have really very very little hope to make much gold selling anything.

Selling anything to who ? To those wealthy players who already have everything or have such developed character that they can easily get whatever they may want ?

So the new or returning players become the unwanted chores players, they struggle to gather resources which the wealthy players do not want to bother spend time gathering and prefer to buy, but paying peanuts for them because after all, there is still scripters in the game whose time is cheap since they can gather them 24/7..........

Of course new or returning players are deterred from staying in the game, that's no surprise to me. They try it out a short while, see how uphill the catching up is and move elsewhere. And Ultima Online, the game, looses out.........

When I was just getting my skills up, I made over 50 million gold selling savage kin paint over a years time… 5k a pop, because no one could keep up with demand… hunting savages 2-3 hours a day, every day of the week. We didn’t even have those no-regs suits then! Gold and riches can be found so easily in this world for those willing… unlike real life.
In a reduced player base game, infested by scripters who do not seem to face much consequences for their scripting, it is increasingly more difficult to sell anything.

The new items that may bring in some millions the players who have the gold and the sampires or characters to do it will hunt themselves, not buy from others, and will actually flood the market with them. New or returning players do not have much chances to compete with the wealth of existing players nor their developed characters.

And this is so, I cannot help not noticing, because this is the design of the game, a design where too much often it is the "Haves" who are catered for, not the "Haves not".

I do not hold my breath that the game will finally have a Vendors' Global Search system.

I think it would be a great addition for Ultima Online and much in favour of new or returning players. I just do not think the various owners or guilds having houses in Luna, Tokuno or now Magincia will much want it to happen.

We'll see, though all of the years waited to see scripting ended without it happening, made me become rather pessimistic as to seeing what I think would be good and positive changes to Ultima Online.

I just keep seeing changes that make the wealthy become wealthier rather than helping the non wealthy be capable to close that vast GAP and be on an equal footing to enjoy playing the game.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imagine how much it would have made if these houses did not count against your account house...

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mind you, not me talking but a returning player.......

This thread is about gold, billions of gold and why it is a good thing they exited the game.... I think we are staying on the topic being discussed........

Inflation hurts the game, it hurts new and returning players but if the Developers really want to fight inflation in their game this means that they have to turn to the only thing which can fight inflation effectively, price competition.
Every player who is in the "haves" camp did something to get there. They didn't land in Haven with millions of GP. They got off their backsides. Any player is capable of that.

This means finally stopping to listen to the wealthy Luna owners and give to the game a global vendor search function. This way new or returning players will feel less left out.

Monopolies cause prices to go up. That is why in the real world there is anti-trust agencies to make sure that there is always as much price competition as possible.

This does not happen in Ultima Online, as I see it, and the Haves usually get more protection that the Haves not.

At least this is my perception.
You think Luna sellers won't use global search? Folk won't stop reselling if they get a search engine that makes it even easier.

I'm not going to wait or whine until a dev tinkers with the economy. I'm going to play and enjoy the game. I'll continue to avoid shopping or selling in Luna and I'll also help new players and returners when I bump into them. If I felt players were helpless in dealing with a problem then sure, I'd be on the forums discussing it. But when there are obvious ways that players can fix issues themselves, I think that's the best route to take.

Wenchy

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every player who is in the "haves" camp did something to get there. They didn't land in Haven with millions of GP. They got off their backsides. Any player is capable of that.

Ultima Online is not a static game.

The population, whether we may like it or not, has dwindled over the years.

It is not as easy as it was years back, to make gold for a new or returning player.

It is not gathering the gold on corpses that one may really make gold but through the multi-millions sales.

Unfortunately, to sell something there got to be buyers.

Problem is, that in a game with less players this means also less buyers. Even moreso, when of the fewer players many need nothing since they are already well off, have uber developed character who can hunt whatever new item comes up on their own, and do not need to buy it from new or returning players.

Not to mention the fact that usually new drops are from "beefed up" monsters which are an easy hunt for existing, well off and uber developed players, but not for new or returning players who lag behind.

So, chances are that it will be existing, well off and uber developed players who will hunt the new items and try to sell them to new or returning players rather than the other way around.....

You think Luna sellers won't use global search? Folk won't stop reselling if they get a search engine that makes it even easier.
And what would that mean ?

That new/returning players for now will have sold their stuff to well off players who "think" they will buy low and sell high but in the end will just buy a bunch of stuff from those players who NEED to sell, giving them gold.

It is to be seen that the re-sellers will then actually be able to then find buyers for these items they are "thinking" to re-sell for a profit.......

For now, the most important goal would have been reached, having the new/returning players who most need the goald be able to actually sell their wares to people who have gold to burn.

Who cares if then the re-sellers will actually be able to re-sell that stuff or whether they will get stuck with it unsold. They have gold to burn and they can well absorb the loss of not being able to resell that stuff.......

I'm not going to wait or whine until a dev tinkers with the economy. I'm going to play and enjoy the game. I'll continue to avoid shopping or selling in Luna and I'll also help new players and returners when I bump into them. If I felt players were helpless in dealing with a problem then sure, I'd be on the forums discussing it. But when there are obvious ways that players can fix issues themselves, I think that's the best route to take.

Perhaps it is better to do both, help them in the game and on the Forums hoping that the Developers will actually finally find their time to "tinker" with whatever new or returning players might really need to actually stay with Ultima Online rather than just try it out for a short while because they feel deterred by the GAP with existing well off and developed players.......

L

Lings Bro

Unreal posts... If you guys want our game back then encourage everyone to stop buying overpriced crap in Luna. Stop using search UO and Especially STOP BUYING GOLD and ITEMS for REAL MONEY.

There are places that make real world money exploiting on line gamers. They run businesses for real life money and they are the dupers and sellers that inflate priices.

Just stop supporting them and they wil move to other games faster then the drug dealer on the corner moves neighborhoods when their customer base dries up.

I can't believe that most of our beloved arties sell for less then $1.90 on search UO. I wonder if I could open an amazon.com store to sell off my UO stuff?

Pretty soon you will be able to buy a plot in Mag for under $10!! Give it a few months.
There are only 3 or 4 decent water plots anyway.....

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
popps earlier you yourself posted, paid in 5 million to lottery and really didnt expect to win!!
now with this game atlantic players i would guess, 60 percent of uo players have an developed Atlantic character, so really they could have bet for house!!

[/color][/b]

Not sure if it is still being done, but I remember years back that some were able to get info from the data stream and at server up know exactly which houses were about to fall and where.... That's why I never bothered with IDOCs, why would I waste my time walking around to look for Falling Houses when I would then face others at those locations who spent hardly anytime to find them ? No thanks.

The real problem, I think, is a game catering more for the "Haves" rather than for the "Haves not".

It is funny when I read about all concerns with Ultima Online subscriptions not going up.
I mean, when the GAP between existing, wealthy and uber developed players and new or returning players is so vast, how can one be surprised that the game lags in getting active subscriptions ??

What is really the point, I wonder -if the best interest of THE GAME is the one at heart here-, is that changes to the game, as I feel it, tend to cater those who already have lots to get more, rather than those who have little or nothing.....

There is people who has not 1, but 2 even 3 Castles and then Luna Houses, and then Tokuno Houses, then now Magincia Houses, sits on billions of gold and the game still has received no Vendor Global Search capabilities which would help new or returning players to more easily find what they need at more decent prices or allow them to sell their wares even from their tiny house in whatever wood it may be..........

Is there even a Grand Master Plan to help Ultima Online gain more active subscriptions ?

Sometimes I wonder..........

[/b][/color]

That is a VERY good example how design can hurt players.

I think that Atlantic players have been greatly hurt by the way this Lottery has been designed and held because the greed has worked like a magnet diluting the tickets that actual, real Atlantic players might have purchased, with the plethora of non-Atlantic players all jumping there to grab tickets for the sole purpose of profiting from the re-sale of the plots, not to actually use them on Atlantic.

So, real, actual atlantic players rather then seeing their chances at getting a Magincia House be compared among the actual Atlantic players, had to see their hope greatly diluted over a huge number of tickets grabbed by non Atlantic players.

This is why I really think it would be about time that the game got a Vendors Global Search system. This way, it would not matter where a vendor was, all players would get equal chances at selling. The question is, though, will the Developers not listen to the various Luna, Tokuno or now Magincia owners (who often are mostly all the same players or from the same Guilds....) ??

[/b][/color]

In a game where many players have already everything, or have characters so beefed up that whenever anything new comes up THEY are the ones who get it first, new or returning players have really very very little hope to make much gold selling anything.

Selling anything to who ? To those wealthy players who already have everything or have such developed character that they can easily get whatever they may want ?

So the new or returning players become the unwanted chores players, they struggle to gather resources which the wealthy players do not want to bother spend time gathering and prefer to buy, but paying peanuts for them because after all, there is still scripters in the game whose time is cheap since they can gather them 24/7..........

Of course new or returning players are deterred from staying in the game, that's no surprise to me. They try it out a short while, see how uphill the catching up is and move elsewhere. And Ultima Online, the game, looses out.........

In a reduced player base game, infested by scripters who do not seem to face much consequences for their scripting, it is increasingly more difficult to sell anything.

The new items that may bring in some millions the players who have the gold and the sampires or characters to do it will hunt themselves, not buy from others, and will actually flood the market with them. New or returning players do not have much chances to compete with the wealth of existing players nor their developed characters.

And this is so, I cannot help not noticing, because this is the design of the game, a design where too much often it is the "Haves" who are catered for, not the "Haves not".

I do not hold my breath that the game will finally have a Vendors' Global Search system.

I think it would be a great addition for Ultima Online and much in favour of new or returning players. I just do not think the various owners or guilds having houses in Luna, Tokuno or now Magincia will much want it to happen.

We'll see, though all of the years waited to see scripting ended without it happening, made me become rather pessimistic as to seeing what I think would be good and positive changes to Ultima Online.

I just keep seeing changes that make the wealthy become wealthier rather than helping the non wealthy be capable to close that vast GAP and be on an equal footing to enjoy playing the game.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unreal posts... If you guys want our game back then encourage everyone to stop buying overpriced crap in Luna. Stop using search UO and Especially STOP BUYING GOLD and ITEMS for REAL MONEY.

There are places that make real world money exploiting on line gamers. They run businesses for real life money and they are the dupers and sellers that inflate priices.

Just stop supporting them and they wil move to other games faster then the drug dealer on the corner moves neighborhoods when their customer base dries up.

I can't believe that most of our beloved arties sell for less then $1.90 on search UO. I wonder if I could open an amazon.com store to sell off my UO stuff?

Pretty soon you will be able to buy a plot in Mag for under $10!! Give it a few months.
There are only 3 or 4 decent water plots anyway.....

Why it has to be the players and not actually those who own and run the game to take care of these issues ???

I mean, they can track down these players and BAN them from their game.

That is what they should do, IMHO, rather than expect players who are PAYING customers and victims of all this, to take the action in their hands to change things.

I do not think it should be players to have to deal with these problems.

This is something that should be dealt with by those who own and run the game to the best interest of their paying customers, the players.

Make the selling and buying of in-game items for real money illegal and ban the sellers and the buyers alike. Track down all cheaters and ban their accounts as well as the accounts benefitting from cheating (often a disposable account is used for cheating and then the ill gotten items are transferred to another account that does not cheat but benefits from the items anyways...).

That's at least how I see it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
popps earlier you yourself posted, paid in 5 million to lottery and really didnt expect to win!!
now with this game atlantic players i would guess, 60 percent of uo players have an developed Atlantic character, so really they could have bet for house!!

The major problem on Atlantic, as I see it, is that with the way this Lottery has been designed, allowing a single account to win multiple plots even though in this game 1 account can only own 1 house across any and all shards, is that this has attracted a whole bunch of non Atlantic players to that shard to buy tickets there anyways.

Why ?

Because if they won, their plot would have been worth $$$ being Atlantic such a heavily played shard.

This means that the "real" Atlantic players have seen their chances further diluted by this mass of non-Atlantic players purchasing tickets there, anyways.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that this Lottery was all messed up to start with and this is why it ended up with absurd results of players winning multiple tickets per account, whether on the same shard or across various shards even though there is the rule in the game that 1 Account can place 1 house across all shard, period.

It is my opinion that this Lottery could have been done differently, and rather than catering those with more wealth actually tending to those more needing the plots.

What can be done at this point ?

Leave things as they are, not worth messing things up any more BUT, definately bring to the game a Vendors' Global Search system that will finally bring ALL players on an equal footing as in regards to vendors and vending abilities.

No more Luna, Tokuno and perhaps now Magincia enhanced vending abilities.

All players regardless where they may have their house and vendors will be equally capable to sell their wares in an open and truly competitive market.

Will the Developers do it thus not catering to Luna, Tokuno or Magincia owners ?

We'll see it.........time will tell. If they do bring this to the game, though, I see it as a good thing for Ultima Online.

W

Woodsman

I have to dig it up again, but there was a post made by Nexus or Petra about how the search sites are run by scripters, because it requires scripting to gather the information.

An in-game global vendor search will put everybody else on even footing, and not just the people who have shops in Luna or Zento (and soon New Magincia) who benefit from the scripting.

It would have to require physically getting you to the actual vendor - Supreem made comments that they don't want a WoW type of auction house that would end the need for people to visit other peoples houses.

I actually think it's needed though, especially if they are going to make a big push for new players. I also think it could be an excellent gold sink if done properly.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
popps you do know what a gold sink is??
this was a way to extract gold from economy,LOL!!! it worked and it got the rebuild mag complaints off there back in one quick non headache way!!!

lol after thirty days these can idoc and be regular houses also !!!!!! wish they would start in on the rest of the towns lol!!!!!!!!!!!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
popps you do know what a gold sink is??
this was a way to extract gold from economy,LOL!!! it worked and it got the rebuild mag complaints off there back in one quick non headache way!!!

lol after thirty days these can idoc and be regular houses also !!!!!! wish they would start in on the rest of the towns lol!!!!!!!!!!!

And WHY Magincia Lottery turned out to be a gold sink ??

WHY did players spend so much gold into trying to get a plot there ?

Because of how lovely magincia looks or for the gardens or flowers ?

Nope, IMHO. Most were attracted by the opportunity that it would turn to be a listed vending location like Luna or Zento.

Showing, that what players want and the game NEEDS is a system that lists vendors' contents to searching players.

That is, a Vendors' Global Search system that would put all players, all houses, all vendors on an equal footing regardless from their locations.......

THIS is what the game needs and what the vast majority of players are asking for.

Will the Developers deliver such a much wanted system ??

This is yet to be seen.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of you may have forgot that not all placed a ton of gold on these plots and won. The RNG works in funny ways. So if somebody paid 100k in gold and won a lot and sells it for a few million thats one hell of a profit for them. Just because 2 billion gold was for one plot doesnt mean the winner even spent 2 billion. He could of spent 2k and just got lucky. It was a gold sink and some people spent their gold more then others :)

J

jaashua

No. Being listed is as easy as owning a place in Mokuto or renting a spot in Luna. Easily done.

No, Magincia plots were sought after for the same reason the guy on the bechelor is sought after by 50 hot women.....scarcity and competition.

Personally, I think New Magincia is fugly. It makes a terrible vendor spot with the homes so far apart....you can circle Luna twice before you can do one lap of Magincia. The reason I bothered to bid was because I saw those areas that look like they're under construction. If they do something else cool with New Magincia, those homes could suddenly be worth owning aside from the rare factor.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima Online is not a static game.

The population, whether we may like it or not, has dwindled over the years.

It is not as easy as it was years back, to make gold for a new or returning player.

It is not gathering the gold on corpses that one may really make gold but through the multi-millions sales.
*chuckles* How do you think the millionaires in UO got where they are now? They made those millions by doing more humble trades and yes, some of us actually loot gold and PvM. Sometimes a new/returning player can get some rare items from an event and sell those, or make new items with a fresh crafter, but you don't have to start off doing million gp trades to get rich. You can start small and work up. And it doesn't take very long at all.

Not to mention the fact that usually new drops are from "beefed up" monsters which are an easy hunt for existing, well off and uber developed players, but not for new or returning players who lag behind.
So, some new drops aren't suited to newbies. Other spawns are. And experienced players who think they're above looting gold also think they're above collecting things like powder of translocation or resources for crafting. So those items can attract a premium price for a new player, especially if that player sees a gap in the market and fills it.

Who cares if then the re-sellers will actually be able to re-sell that stuff or whether they will get stuck with it unsold. They have gold to burn and they can well absorb the loss of not being able to resell that stuff.......
You have a very optomistic view of how the reseller thing will work out. That's all I'm saying on the subject ;)

Wenchy

U

UOKaiser

Some of you may have forgot that not all placed a ton of gold on these plots and won. The RNG works in funny ways. So if somebody paid 100k in gold and won a lot and sells it for a few million thats one hell of a profit for them. Just because 2 billion gold was for one plot doesnt mean the winner even spent 2 billion. He could of spent 2k and just got lucky. It was a gold sink and some people spent their gold more then others :)
Agrred. They make it seem nobody bet a plot except for 1 player with billions of gold. sorry to say to you all we vet players aint going to use billions of gold for 1 plot when we can easily buy it later. A few millions for everyone in Uo is nothing and as most Uo players has a net value of at least 100mil then this is nothing. Those who don't have such a value are in the minority and didn't want to make gold anyway so they shouldn't care.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*chuckles* How do you think the millionaires in UO got where they are now? They made those millions by doing more humble trades and yes, some of us actually loot gold and PvM. Sometimes a new/returning player can get some rare items from an event and sell those, or make new items with a fresh crafter, but you don't have to start off doing million gp trades to get rich. You can start small and work up. And it doesn't take very long at all.

Apparently, as the returning player that I quoted points out, things are not "roses and violins" for new or returning players as many like to indicate.....

Today, Ultima Online is a MUCH different game that years back.
Years back there were MORE players which meant more possibility to sell. Not only, because of duping there was abundance of gold and people would spend way more easily than today. Furthermore, most players were not yet as developed and self-sufficient as today.

Whatever new item worthy of being sold might be released today, chances are that the existing, already wealthy and uber developed players will get it themselves without the need to buy it from new or existing players. On the contrary, it will be most likely that the existing well off and uber developed players will try to sell them at inflated prices to the new or returning players who may have it MUCH harder to get them since, after all, they are not as wealthy and not as uber developed.......

And yes, it can get worse for new or returning players.......

Not only they might have it hard to sell anything worthy of being sold to existing, well off and uber developed players, but they won't even be able to make much from the sale of resources or from Bulk Order Deeds and, since you mention them, "powder of fortification"......

Why ?

Because the game keeps excusing scripters who can gather them 24/7 without having to stay at the keyboard.

There is simply not a chance that a new or returning players, especially if a casual player since most returning players do not have much time at hand to play the game as they used to, because of jobs and family, will be able to compete with a scripter.

The sooner the Developers realize how this game is nasty to new or returning players and how it is sweet towards those well off, existing uber developed players and will do something to correct this inbalance, the better it will be for Ultima Online, IMHO.

So, some new drops aren't suited to newbies. Other spawns are. And experienced players who think they're above looting gold also think they're above collecting things like powder of translocation or resources for crafting. So those items can attract a premium price for a new player, especially if that player sees a gap in the market and fills it.

Other spawns, WHAT spawns if I may ask ?

What spawn might be there that a new or returning player might hunt or gather (if resources) that is not already farmed by scripters at a dime a dozen or hunted by current well off, uber developed players who are self sufficienf in all of their gaming needs ?

You have a very optomistic view of how the reseller thing will work out. That's all I'm saying on the subject

Reselling is buy low and sell high, there is not much else about it........
Some might try to "buy out" certain items/resources for price gouging but that comes at a risk for the buyer. Unless the item is a finite spawn, if it is a respawning item/resource then chances are that players will keep hunting/gathering them and if the price keeps staying as low, the hoarder will just sit on a mountain of these items that will stay unsold since their pricing will necessarily have to be higher than the purchasing one (unless they want to take a loss).

There is also the underselling tactics to drive someone out of business (Buy large stocks of items/resources and resell them at a lower price than competitors' taking a loss but with the goal of driving the competitor out of business...). But this can neither work since there is simply too many players in the game and even if one has a lot of gold to burn and they want to undersell and drive some competitors out of business, they cannot do this forever and in the end they will just loose a bunch of gold and when they end their underselling practices the competitors will resume their selling.

This is not the real world where a business requires investments and once a competitor goes out of business it is hard for them to come back. In Ultima Online players can stop selling today and resume tomorrow at no cost.

So, I see NO REASONS whatsoever to deter implementing a VENDORS' GLOBAL SEARCH System in Ultima Online. Only good can come from it and fair and true competition to help end the curse of the inflation in this game.

The only issue here is whether the Developers will finally understand this and go for it and stop listening to the Luna or Zento or now Magincia owners......

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What spawn might be there that a new or returning player might hunt or gather (if resources) that is not already farmed by scripters at a dime a dozen or hunted by current well off, uber developed players who are self sufficienf in all of their gaming needs ?
Abyss goblin spawn, Abyss slime spawn - both yield high demand essences, and I rarely see "competition" at either on Catskills... and never once a scripter.

There's more "competition" at the Abyss rat-spawn, but still never a scripter and any warrior with a soul seeker can handle it. (Mine on Europa has a soul seeker and GM armor!)

The Tomb of kings also yields high demand serpent skins and venom as well as undead lumpy things which sell very well.

Or my favorite:
Hunting Thrasher or Miasma until you get a totem of the void, then selling it for 500k (which resellers buy immediately and sell for 900k-1.2 million). That's how I made most of my money before a lucky EM event drop.

Or the more common:
Join a good guild and share in spawn profits. Many a new player got crimson cinctures, marks of Travesty etc. back when I frequently led peerless runs.

None of that is instant gratification, but with patience... it works.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never seen a thread so amazingly hijacked in all my years in message boards. Thank's so much, gang!

Now is there any other data from other shard totals we can talk about?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, didn't get farther on Catskills than in the mid-600 accounts made bids on the North properties.

And I had about a 1/1500 chance of winning most southern plots (with 20 tickets on each)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today, Ultima Online is a MUCH different game that years back.
Years back there were MORE players which meant more possibility to sell. Not only, because of duping there was abundance of gold and people would spend way more easily than today. Furthermore, most players were not yet as developed and self-sufficient as today.
Popps, I'm playing the same game as you and I'm talking about real experience in that game *now* not years ago. I don't say something is easy when it's not.

Whatever new item worthy of being sold might be released today, chances are that the existing, already wealthy and uber developed players will get it themselves without the need to buy it from new or existing players. On the contrary, it will be most likely that the existing well off and uber developed players will try to sell them at inflated prices to the new or returning players who may have it MUCH harder to get them since, after all, they are not as wealthy and not as uber developed.......
If you approach UO with such a defeatist attitude, it's no wonder you pity newbies so much. It's a good thing that players don't all share your pessimistic view and they actually set up shop and try selling items.

And yes, it can get worse for new or returning players.......

Not only they might have it hard to sell anything worthy of being sold to existing, well off and uber developed players, but they won't even be able to make much from the sale of resources or from Bulk Order Deeds and, since you mention them, "powder of fortification"......

Why ?

Because the game keeps excusing scripters who can gather them 24/7 without having to stay at the keyboard.
*chuckles* Oh dear... Popps, players are lazy, scripters don't have everything sealed up. Again, you're being defeatist. And I didn't say sell anything from the BOD system, I wouldn't wish that much boredom on a newbie ;)

There is simply not a chance that a new or returning players, especially if a casual player since most returning players do not have much time at hand to play the game as they used to, because of jobs and family, will be able to compete with a scripter.
Guess what Popps, I barely have time to play UO a few hours a month sometimes. I still manage. My partner is the same and he returned to game and still made millions easily in a short time.

Yay, so you've basically decided that everything is in the hands of scripters so there's no point in trying to find niche markets or selling in a marketplace alongside cheats? I'm thinking about that defeatist word again.

Reselling is buy low and sell high, there is not much else about it........
Some might try to "buy out" certain items/resources for price gouging but that comes at a risk for the buyer. Unless the item is a finite spawn, if it is a respawning item/resource then chances are that players will keep hunting/gathering them and if the price keeps staying as low, the hoarder will just sit on a mountain of these items that will stay unsold since their pricing will necessarily have to be higher than the purchasing one (unless they want to take a loss).
This is one of those "feasible on paper" ideas Popps. There's more than 1 reseller per shard for one thing :p Perhaps when this search engine arrives, you and it's other supporters will realise it doesn't solve all your problems.

Wenchy

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did not check on Catskills the last day, but a couple of days before it I estimated the 10k plots (12) to be about 300 tickets each on Trammel so totalling 3 millions per plot or 36 millions for all 12 and an average of about 40-50k tickets sold for the 10 plots at 2k meaning about 800 millions to a billion on Trammel and probably like 300k-400k on Felucca.

By the end of the sale I would imagine these figures might have went up to 1.5 billions but I doubt they went as far as 2 billions for catskills.

silent death197831

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember when i was a newb 11 years ago i went around killing at the gravy yards to train till i got to a point i could kill ettins and cyclops. which Cyclops temple at that point was a guild hunt lol. Now a days we have a luna house on legends and we buy and sell arties and sometimes dable in housing and decoing of others houses. we do very good at this point and all of this started from killing monsters and training to a point we could do things in smaller and smaller groups to maximize our income. So not everyone in the game is a scripter and not everyone in the game has to be scared of begining the game as a noob. For those who played back then you would hunt all day to get 100k in a day. but as for the money spent for the plots i am glad that their was that amount spent i wish more was spent. Only problem i see is now it will make all the people think they can raise prices on everything else cause their broke.