• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Atlantic Server line/Recall/Login failures

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be nice if this can be fixed...

I don't play Atlantic often, but the last few times I tried to login it gets stuck connecting. and you can't back out of it, you either need to wait, or close the client down and login to a different shard.

Atlantic seems to be the only shard affected by this based on my experience as well.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The issue with Recall / Sacred Journey is happening on a daily basis. Also affects Gate Travel and normal Moongate use.

It will happen for anywhere from 2 minutes to a half hour. Doesn't matter what character, account, etc. Everyone and everything is affected when it happens.

More often than not, it seems it will occur at higher population times, in the evenings and on the weekends.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The more scripters you have flooding the server with useless information, the worse it is going to affect players on the various subservers these are being used on. House finding scripts, placement scripts, item id scripts, ect, these along with the lack of static tiles on some customized homes lend to the adverse affects you speak of. The scripting might as well be a DDOS attack, because it has a similar effect on the servers flooding them with useless spam, just not as pronounced...

Last edited:

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The more scripters you have flooding the server with useless information, the worse it is going to affect players on the various subservers these are being used on. House finding scripts, placement scripts, item id scripts, ect, these along with the lack of static tiles on some customized homes lend to the adverse affects you speak of. The scripting might as well be a DDOS attack, because it has a similar effect on the servers flooding them with useless spam, just not as pronounced...
because ATL did not have more people on it 10 years ago?

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, please fix the intermittent recalls. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
I got hit with " you cannot teleport when dragging items" last night... Whaaa..? I had to find a safe place to log out and reconnect. And then at connection, I saw my toon, but was stuck at "Not Responding" for 2 minutes.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
because ATL did not have more people on it 10 years ago?
Ten years ago you didn't have non static tilesets in housing, nor did you have scripting multibotters flooding the servers with useless spam. When one person is using 20-50 accounts spamming the subservers at the same time, you get the same effect as if the server is being DDOSed.

Does that clarify things for you?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few nights ago, tried recalling to my house several times and nothing happened. Ran to a moongate, not sure that it was going to work either. Soon as my character hit the moongate, the game screen went completely black and then next thing I knew, my character was running out of the moongate and right into the house. Was very, very bizarre.

Capidermus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Along with it just locking up, it also fizzles out. Atl just went down. I'm in a graveyard right now, so I'm sure my skeleton will pop up somewhere.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Running to a moongate is actually the worst thing to do if Recall isn't working, because it hides you and paralyzes you from further movement. There's been times I sat there for 15-minutes grey and unable to move because of this while waiting for recall to work again.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are no house finding scripts, how dare you !!! Don't you know that those are professional house finders and they painstakingly mouse over each and ever house they see ? They've been practicing their art for decades and after years of hard work they are quite good at what they do. At least that's what they all say :p

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Running to a moongate is actually the worst thing to do if Recall isn't working, because it hides you and paralyzes you from further movement. There's been times I sat there for 15-minutes grey and unable to move because of this while waiting for recall to work again.
That's good to know! Thanks.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are no house finding scripts, how dare you !!! Don't you know that those are professional house finders and they painstakingly mouse over each and ever house they see ? They've been practicing their art for decades and after years of hard work they are quite good at what they do. At least that's what they all say :p
It's because of the Zoom mastery Don'tcha know . . .

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you even understand whats involved in a ddos attack. Obviously not by reading your post so just :talktothehand:

It's because of the Zoom mastery Don'tcha know . . .
Because you can't compete they must be cheating. Again just :talktothehand:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you even understand whats involved in a ddos attack. Obviously not by reading your post so just :talktothehand:
Obviously you weren't paying attention to the comment. A DDOS attack involves flooding the resources or bandwidth of a server, which is exactly what happens when a multitude of scripting characters constantly bombard the server with useless bandwidth hogging requests. Perhaps you should think before you post.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Obviously you weren't paying attention to the comment. A DDOS attack involves flooding the resources or bandwidth of a server, which is exactly what happens when a multitude of scripting characters constantly bombard the server with useless bandwidth hogging requests. Perhaps you should think before you post.
Wrong. The amount of pcs required in a botnet to even slow a server is 10s of thousands. To cause crashes you would need 100k plus. Comparing scripting to a ddos attack is like comparing apples and oranges.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wrong. The amount of pcs required in a botnet to even slow a server is 10s of thousands. To cause crashes you would need 100k plus. Comparing scripting to a ddos attack is like comparing apples and oranges.
We aren't talking about DDOSing google, we are talking about flooding a 20 year games server. Second, you would be surprised how easy it is to lag out UO servers, just look at Yew gate...a few houses alone are enough. Unlike Google, all it would take to overwork UO servers is 10 computers running 50-100 clients flooding the server with requests every second or so.

Again, learn to read, I didn't say it WAS a DDOS, I said it was LIKE a DDOS in the manner which the useless code flooded the server lagging it out.

Btw, it doesn't take 10s of 1000s of computers to do malicious ****...and certainly not 100K plus to make a server crash, especially one containing antiquated swiss chesse filled code. FFS, one person could crash the server with a boat lol.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The issue involving this recall bug got exponentially worse around the time that the Invasion was on-going. I'm aware it would occur every so often long before the recent Invasion angle, but that seemed to be what jump started this changing from a rare occurrence to a daily occurrence.

Obviously not by reading your post so just :talktothehand:
Perhaps you should think before you post.

I don't know the validity of whether or not scripting would be causing this recall issue, but let's please keep it impersonal and make sure the discussion of scripting stays within the vein of this topic.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:facepalm:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You do realize this is a 20 year old game? With 20 year old code? Code that has been rewritten over and over compounding existing issues? It doesn't take much to trip up servers running this...

Again, if a single person can crash an entire server using nothing more than a boat and a few other things, what makes you think someone running 10+ accounts constantly pinging a server with commands has no effect? Facepalm all you want, doesn't change a thing...