• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Asheron's Call Calls It Quits After 17 Years

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
http://kotaku.com/after-17-years-asherons-call-is-calling-it-quits-1790335792

Mike Fahey

On November 2, 1999, Microsoft and Turbine launched Asheron’s Call, a massively multiplayer online fantasy role-playing game that stood toe-to-toe with the likes of EverQuest and Ultima Online. On January 31, Asheron’s Call and its sequel are coming to an end.

Asheron’s Call was my first serious MMO, before I got my hands on EQ and after Ultima Online chewed me up and spat my hapless lumberjack ass out. I spent many a late night wandering its roads, killing Drudges by the bucketful.

It was a good game, but its time has come. The last content update went live in March of 2014, so the game’s been stagnant for two years. On top of that, Turbine is moving out of the MMO business, and while its spin-off company, Standing Stone Games, will continue to work on Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online, the Asheron’s Call license belongs to Warner Bros., so both AC games must close.

The January 31 closure of Asheron’s Call and it’s once-dead sequel, Asheron’s Call 2, was announced today via [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]the games’ forum[/bcolor].

It is with a heavy heart that we must announce the end of our support for Asheron’s Call and Asheron’s Call 2, and will close both services on January 31st, 2017.

This decision did not come easy, and we know this is disappointing for many of you. This game is a labor of love, and it’s not easy for us to bring it to an end.

We hae had a phenomenally long run; one of the longest in the world of MMORPGs, and that in and of itself is a spectacular feat. We are proud of our legacy, and the entire Asheron’s Call team has been honored to adventure with you for nearly twenty years. We thank you very much for being a part of it.

It’s been an amazing run. You’ve done Asheron Realaidain proud.

While new account creation is being closed, anyone with an existing account is welcome to log in and wander about before the call is finally silenced.

I know this may be moved to OFF Topic. I feel it is relevant...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
http://kotaku.com/after-17-years-asherons-call-is-calling-it-quits-1790335792

Mike Fahey

On November 2, 1999, Microsoft and Turbine launched Asheron’s Call, a massively multiplayer online fantasy role-playing game that stood toe-to-toe with the likes of EverQuest and Ultima Online. On January 31, Asheron’s Call and its sequel are coming to an end.

Asheron’s Call was my first serious MMO, before I got my hands on EQ and after Ultima Online chewed me up and spat my hapless lumberjack ass out. I spent many a late night wandering its roads, killing Drudges by the bucketful.

It was a good game, but its time has come. The last content update went live in March of 2014, so the game’s been stagnant for two years. On top of that, Turbine is moving out of the MMO business, and while its spin-off company, Standing Stone Games, will continue to work on Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online, the Asheron’s Call license belongs to Warner Bros., so both AC games must close.

The January 31 closure of Asheron’s Call and it’s once-dead sequel, Asheron’s Call 2, was announced today via [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]the games’ forum[/bcolor].

It is with a heavy heart that we must announce the end of our support for Asheron’s Call and Asheron’s Call 2, and will close both services on January 31st, 2017.

This decision did not come easy, and we know this is disappointing for many of you. This game is a labor of love, and it’s not easy for us to bring it to an end.

We hae had a phenomenally long run; one of the longest in the world of MMORPGs, and that in and of itself is a spectacular feat. We are proud of our legacy, and the entire Asheron’s Call team has been honored to adventure with you for nearly twenty years. We thank you very much for being a part of it.

It’s been an amazing run. You’ve done Asheron Realaidain proud.

While new account creation is being closed, anyone with an existing account is welcome to log in and wander about before the call is finally silenced.

I know this may be moved to OFF Topic. I feel it is relevant...

It is a shame to see a game that old close the curtains.

It certainly hits close to home doesn't it?

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
oh please, that game always sucked compared to ultima - it should have closed a month after it opened

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
oh please, that game always sucked compared to ultima - it should have closed a month after it opened
Well man, there must have been something to it if it went 17 years before pulling the plug.

And we aren't exactly booming with players at the moment.

If anything, it just draws the awareness of the inevitable for UO.

But until then, I'll see you all in game.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I beta'd AC and didn't like it as compared to UO. It might be the UO sandbox style, but AC just didn't hold my favor for long. I left right after it went gold.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never heard of it. I hope I didn't miss anything. Thanks a lot Kelmo.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never heard of it. I hope I didn't miss anything.
I didn't either. I ran across UO Labor Day Weekend back in 2000 and fell in love with all the crafting that can be done and the fact that no matter what mood I was in, there was something to do that was fun, from banksitting to homicide. :)