• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Armor Pierce Questions

SouthPaw

Lore Master
1. Does the damage type of armor pierce match whatever damage type the pet does? Or does it always do physical damage?
2. For my tamer that has Discord, I've made most of my pets with AI/Chiv. Wondering if that was a mistake and if I should have used AP/Chiv since my tamer dishes out discord at anything that moves, lower resists=more damage for AP.
3. Wondering if anyone has calculated a "break even" point between AP and AI based on the resists of the mob, if that's even possible with all the variables.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
1. Does the damage type of armor pierce match whatever damage type the pet does? Or does it always do physical damage?
2. For my tamer that has Discord, I've made most of my pets with AI/Chiv. Wondering if that was a mistake and if I should have used AP/Chiv since my tamer dishes out discord at anything that moves, lower resists=more damage for AP.
3. Wondering if anyone has calculated a "break even" point between AP and AI based on the resists of the mob, if that's even possible with all the variables.
The idea behind giving a pet AP is to provide support for additional methods of damage other than the pet (although it will help the pet as well). The debuff provides a 10% increase to all non-direct damage the target receives.

AI vs AP on a single pet, AI will always win except at very low resists (18 and lower). However the AP bonus can apply to multiple hits, whereas AI is a single hit only.

AP + Normal Hit (affected by AP) vs AI + Normal Hit -- Now AP is better up to 25 Resists
AP + 2 Normal Hits (affected by AP) vs AI + 2 Normal Hits -- Now AP is better up to 30 Resists

This is just a pet's damage, it doesn't count any benefits to the caster's outgoing damage spells/attack, or other players attacking the target.

Add in a Necromage (or any SDI Mage) that is casting on the target, and now all spell damage is amplified by 10% when AP is active as well.

Now add in other players, and even more damage is able to be amplified when AP is active.

For a dexxer, right around 50 resists is when Double Strike/Double Shot becomes more effective than AI. So if you have just a single tamer with a Discord pet, or a Disco/CB pet, or a Disco tamer with an RC pet, you can allow an entire group of people to switch from AI to DS once you debuff the target and do substantially more damage (plus the AP bonus on top as well).

So for your discord tamer, Chiv/AI is still going to give you the better result if you are hunting solo.

I consider AP to be situational, and those situations are typically when you are doing content with a group of people (doesn't have to be a large group though). Especially if the rest of the group builds around the idea of mass debuffing and high uptime on AP, for example (aka Synergy).

Some people don't want to get that complex, which is fine, for others it can be an avenue to explore.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice Red Doggy looking for a home still.

Will trade for scrolls so I can build a nice Triton.

upload_2019-5-7_17-29-4.png

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I like that you are thinking more about pet synergy. :thumbup1:

As for Pawain... You dont put armor piece on a CU! Thats one of the worst animals to put it on.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like that you are thinking more about pet synergy. :thumbup1:

As for Pawain... You dont put armor piece on a CU! Thats one of the worst animals to put it on.
Is that because Cus are for high end content with high resists? :hahaha:

Everybody else was putting it on stuff! Had to try.

It is on my Archer Tamer so it synergizes with him. :)

SouthPaw

Lore Master
The idea behind giving a pet AP is to provide support for additional methods of damage other than the pet (although it will help the pet as well). The debuff provides a 10% increase to all non-direct damage the target receives.

AI vs AP on a single pet, AI will always win except at very low resists (18 and lower). However the AP bonus can apply to multiple hits, whereas AI is a single hit only.

AP + Normal Hit (affected by AP) vs AI + Normal Hit -- Now AP is better up to 25 Resists
AP + 2 Normal Hits (affected by AP) vs AI + 2 Normal Hits -- Now AP is better up to 30 Resists

This is just a pet's damage, it doesn't count any benefits to the caster's outgoing damage spells/attack, or other players attacking the target.

Add in a Necromage (or any SDI Mage) that is casting on the target, and now all spell damage is amplified by 10% when AP is active as well.

Now add in other players, and even more damage is able to be amplified when AP is active.

For a dexxer, right around 50 resists is when Double Strike/Double Shot becomes more effective than AI. So if you have just a single tamer with a Discord pet, or a Disco/CB pet, or a Disco tamer with an RC pet, you can allow an entire group of people to switch from AI to DS once you debuff the target and do substantially more damage (plus the AP bonus on top as well).

So for your discord tamer, Chiv/AI is still going to give you the better result if you are hunting solo.

I consider AP to be situational, and those situations are typically when you are doing content with a group of people (doesn't have to be a large group though). Especially if the rest of the group builds around the idea of mass debuffing and high uptime on AP, for example (aka Synergy).

Some people don't want to get that complex, which is fine, for others it can be an avenue to explore.
My next question; For my necromage tamer, I'm thinking of getting a Triton and putting CB+Discord on it. Would it make sense to put armor pierce on him too? I know armor ignore isn't a good idea since it bypasses the debuffs of db and discord, but would AP make sense? I solo most of the time, unless I'm going Roof or spawns. Thinking if pet can tank and land disco and/or CB, I can cast death ray or energy bolt for some good damage.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My next question; For my necromage tamer, I'm thinking of getting a Triton and putting CB+Discord on it. Would it make sense to put armor pierce on him too? I know armor ignore isn't a good idea since it bypasses the debuffs of db and discord, but would AP make sense? I solo most of the time, unless I'm going Roof or spawns. Thinking if pet can tank and land disco and/or CB, I can cast death ray or energy bolt for some good damage.
What is your play style? Is your pet your primary damage with your mage as secondary or is your pet secondary damage and your mage your main source of damage.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
What is your play style? Is your pet your primary damage with your mage as secondary or is your pet secondary damage and your mage your main source of damage.
Typically I send the pet in to get agro. I'll cast corpse skin if appropriate. Typically use energy bolt, explosion, flamestrike, poison, wither, death ray, depending on the situation. I would say the pet and I work together to kill the mob, hard to say who does primary damage, probably the pet, depends if I have the right slayer book on or not and the general situation.

Amamos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

Please, do you have any clue on how often those replace next attacks moves are used while the pet has mana? It's like a 10% chance per attack? 50%, 5%?

Also, the procs on hit ones, like rune corruption and conductive blast?

Thanks a lot for those infos you already provided us with. :)