• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are you interested in a Stratics Chat program?

Would this feature be useful to you?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
There are some options for messenger/chatrooms that we could integrate with Stratics. This would allow one-on-one communication, and creation of private chatrooms for group chat, voice, and even video. What are your thoughts on adding this feature to Stratics? How would you use it (in-game communication, trade, event coordination, social, etc.)?

Example (yes the video is corny):

Thanks!

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Id be interested if it was a stand alone program that 1. i could use on my phone as a stand alone app. 2. i didnt have to be on the webpage to use from my computer.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Id be interested if it was a stand alone program that 1. i could use on my phone as a stand alone app. 2. i didnt have to be on the webpage to use from my computer.
A standalone app is available, and it is also compatible with Tapatalk if you use that.

I should also add that there is a desktop application as well, so you wouldn't have to be logged into the website necessarily. The great thing is that you get options.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you have a global chat with it or only 1 on 1? A bit like IRC I guess.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My questions are:

Do we really need an ICQ replacement? (it has a phone app, as does Trillian (which also has group chat and such, using your IRC contacts))

Is there really a need for IRC-style chat in 2015? What were the login averages for the old Stratics IRC when there wasn't an HoC?

Then there is the whole concern over the can of bitey worms called privacy...

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
My questions are:

Do we really need an ICQ replacement? (it has a phone app, as does Trillian (which also has group chat and such, using your IRC contacts))

Is there really a need for IRC-style chat in 2015? What were the login averages for the old Stratics IRC when there wasn't an HoC?

Then there is the whole concern over the can of bitey worms called privacy...
I think it is more comparable to skype, vent, Google hangout, or TS. But your question is valid. I viewed this mostly as a way to talk with other website users and I would imagine that on a whole, everyone would continue using ICQ.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can create private chat rooms for group communication.
I think a Stratics global char would be neat. If I want to contact a member directly I will either send a PM or use ICQ (if they have it).

However a global chat system would be more useful (im my opinion). I could just join the channel and ask a question, see if somebody is selling something etc. Like general chat in the game but on the website.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If it is something that can be easily used by antiques like me (who dislike and will not use Facebook, don't care for smart phones, and do not use programs such as ICQ) it sounds like an interesting option. I rely on Stratics for most of my information and might like being able to chat with fellow role players, guild members, etc. in a real time chat room.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Love the idea, as long as it dont include FB to log in, as I am sure many people dont want their real lifes to come to the light.
Also should be a programme that dosnt take lots of resources from the PC.
If its withing them lines , I think it can be a great add on to Strats, especially for faster communication, although many people use ICQ....
A question to ask is also, will the convos be screened by the admins? What are the rules for posting stuff? Will it be completely independent to us and our use or does it also follow same rules as doing a post?

Thanks

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I also love the idea. My concerns are... The ability to ignore or block unwanted communication... The ability to report harassing messages, and the ability to moderate those messages, and take action against the offenders if needed.
In a perfect world it would be an amazing addon. I am just worried about peoples ability to abuse it or turn it into a bad thing.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Darn. So far only 8 "yes" against 10 "no"? I would have expected a bit more favorable votes on the idea. :confused:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted no for two reasons: (1) I don't want to have to work with or have to install yet another messenger-type of program beyond what I already use; and (2) without knowing who all on the Stratics staff or at Broadsword might possibly have access to supposedly-private chat/chat rooms/messages, I doubt I would use a Stratics-supported chat/chat room system any more often than I currently use the Stratics-supported conversation system (i.e., only as a last resort for getting a hold of someone and with as minimal details as possible).

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe repost this poll on traders forum. you actually have to talk to people there, not everyone uses icq, and pming back and forth can sometime be a pain.

my main concern is how would this effect site load times? the new site already seems rather slow compared to the old, because theres just so much going on and so many new features.

i most likely would not use a vent or skype type voice thing with randoms on stratics, but a chat might be useful.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
If it is something that can be easily used by antiques like me (who dislike and will not use Facebook, don't care for smart phones, and do not use programs such as ICQ) it sounds like an interesting option. I rely on Stratics for most of my information and might like being able to chat with fellow role players, guild members, etc. in a real time chat room.
It would be native to the website, so all you would need to do is login. The other features are optional.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will Stratics staff have access to the conversations? Will the conversations be subject to the same TOS that Stratics messaging does now? Will conversations using the new tool be actionable by Stratics staff?

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
A question to ask is also, will the convos be screened by the admins? What are the rules for posting stuff? Will it be completely independent to us and our use or does it also follow same rules as doing a post?
Those are great questions and I'll have to do some research. Offhand though, this would behave similarly to the current personal conversations. We don't screen or typically get involved with conversations. If someone uses the feature to damage the website, or abuse someone else, we would intervene. Overall, those events are rare.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I also love the idea. My concerns are... The ability to ignore or block unwanted communication... The ability to report harassing messages, and the ability to moderate those messages, and take action against the offenders if needed.
In a perfect world it would be an amazing addon. I am just worried about peoples ability to abuse it or turn it into a bad thing.
I think it has a feature that allows you to ignore others, but I would have to confirm.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I voted no for two reasons: (1) I don't want to have to work with or have to install yet another messenger-type of program beyond what I already use; and (2) without knowing who all on the Stratics staff or at Broadsword might possibly have access to supposedly-private chat/chat rooms/messages, I doubt I would use a Stratics-supported chat/chat room system any more often than I currently use the Stratics-supported conversation system (i.e., only as a last resort for getting a hold of someone and with as minimal details as possible).
You would not have to install anything else, just login. Privacy is always a concern which I can understand though. Our Privacy Policy would apply, but we don't take interest in personal conversation unless it gets reported by one of the participants. Usually that isn't an issue because conversations most frequently take place among friends.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
maybe repost this poll on traders forum. you actually have to talk to people there, not everyone uses icq, and pming back and forth can sometime be a pain.

my main concern is how would this effect site load times? the new site already seems rather slow compared to the old, because theres just so much going on and so many new features.

i most likely would not use a vent or skype type voice thing with randoms on stratics, but a chat might be useful.
I'll make a thread link over there. You bring up a valid concern. We would need to keep an eye on resource use, and maybe the voice and video would be too heavy. I haven't tested the add-on yet though.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If it has a feature to ignore others, then I see no need for staff to ever intervene or read a conversation. I feel that there is potential there for staff who play UO to abuse the ability to eavesdrop.

If this new chat feature was offered without oversight by staff, and users had the ability to ignore people, it would be much more appealing. At least to me. Otherwise, I would not use it.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Will Stratics staff have access to the conversations? Will the conversations be subject to the same TOS that Stratics messaging does now? Will conversations using the new tool be actionable by Stratics staff?
Let me get back to you on that because we don't have moderating policy in place. We certainly wouldn't monitor personal conversations or private chatrooms. I'm not sure what moderating capability exists either. If we had a public chatroom, it would be monitored, but I am not terribly excited about taking on that burden. I would hope that we would largely be hands off. We would of course intervene if the service is being used maliciously or in a way to create liability to Stratics. It sounds like privacy is a common concern, so I'll dig deeper on that.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Let me get back to you on that because we don't have moderating policy in place. We certainly wouldn't monitor personal conversations or private chatrooms. I'm not sure what moderating capability exists either. If we had a public chatroom, it would be monitored, but I am not terribly excited about taking on that burden. I would hope that we would largely be hands off. We would of course intervene if the service is being used maliciously or in a way to create liability to Stratics. It sounds like privacy is a common concern, so I'll dig deeper on that.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran

So you would condone the potential of selling items for RL currency through use of the private chat?

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
So you would condone the potential of selling items for RL currency through use of the private chat?
No, the actions of Stratics users do not represent our opinion or interest. We choose not to invade the privacy of our users without cause. This is the same as for personal conversations. There is no way to know what people are saying privately without sticking our nose in, so we rely on the parties involved to report.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I believe this works like the Facebook chat - in that you only get to see the chat from ppl you approve (ie: people who you follow/friend/request) so I doubt there'd be any overall snooping of a chat.
Now if this is going to be a huge free-for-all chat, I don't think it is wise.

The IRC was not managed by Stratics, but another group that was affiliated with the older Stratics. That relationship ended. They do have an IRC channel set up without any hookup to Stratics: http://www.gamers-irc.org/

Personally - ICQ is sufficient - been using it for years. If I need a group discussion, we jump into voice chat via Vent.

What I think should be the focus is getting everything from UO2.stratics migrated over here and alerting Broadsword that the new domain is just stratics.com. Their links to this fansite goes to the really old, outdated, not being worked on stuff and newer players are confuzzled beyond belief. Why concentrate on new features when you have a plethora of content that needs to be moved over?

*edit*
I believe if you get all that stuff moved and kill the wordpresses, the sluggishness that has been creeping up on the xenforo will stop. You will have more resources for xenforo without the hassle of the wordpress then you can introduce new and exciting bells & whistles.

just my 2 cents.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I would be interested. My preferences would be a strong desktop web-browser type side bar. Preferably starting off with only text chat before incorporating voice or video. If there were public rooms and allowed the creation of private rooms, that could be fun.

Also, for those who are saying they wouldn't like it or be interested... to have the ability to disable.

And please no linking to other social media, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instragram.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Seriously? ICQ? Who does that anymore?

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
my concern is what load this will put on the server/site. Stratics has already been getting sluggish for many of us - throwing up new features should not be the priority. Getting rid of your old stuff and getting this "wiki" running should be numero uno imosho.

Get rid of the wordpress CMS installs. Archive the info, get it off the server, and migrate the content as quickly as you can into the CMS of your choosing (ie - here in xenforo).

I still think laying all your eggs into one basket is NOT a good thing, but that's just me.

I don't think people spend as much time on Stratics as they do on say, Facebook, to garner such a feature with the potential load it will have on the server/client and the bandwidth sucking it could potentially have. Shoot - I never turn on the FB chat.... it all goes to my phone anyway and if its important, I reposnd via such.

When I'm in game, I rarely open Stratics or any other website for that matter. I want as minimal load/feed/bandwidth usage on my computer - particularly if I'm going into something interesting (Eodon, Dragon Turtle Champ, Felucca, IDOC, etc.) and having ppl pop-up a convo on a website would just irk the hell outta me.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
General chat - Big YES,
Personal messages - NO, but could be a Yes if u can provide the ability to show offline - or reject personal chat message & block users to keep the trollers or spammers away...