• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are these stairs just too complicated to make?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No matter what combination I tried, I couldn't delete the stairs tile in the NW corner. Once one set of stairs was placed along the wall, I could no longer keep a teleporter tile in the very NW corner. I could place one flight against the walls, demolish half and place two new teleport tiles, but as soon as I engaged transparency, the teleporter tile in the very NW corner was erased, leaving a blank floor tile. Does the customization code do that because it thinks that there's a full set of stairs?

stairs1.png

What's puzzling is that I was able to make the reverse, with the bottom half-flight going along the walls. That isn't the look I wanted, though.

After a couple of hours, I gave up and hit on the idea of using a large rock to cover the tile. It works, but it was frustrating not to be able to delete the tile and have a nice big goza platform.

stairs2.png

Last edited:

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It could be due to the walls. Try removing the walls and doing it, then adding the walls back.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tried, but no cigar. Thanks for the excellent suggestion, in any case!

Turns out I still had the reversed stairs in the design backup. So strange that I could do this with no problem. There must be something about the tile where the lowest step will be, preventing a teleporter tile from sticking.

stairs3.png

LadyElizabeth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The issue is that you are building in the Northwest corner, which poses difficulties when it comes to "deleting" the extra stair tiles. You can't delete the very bottom stair via teleporter tile because that's what the game immediately uses to signify that you just placed stairs there - thus the blank tile beneath it. Once you move floors/reset the floor you're on the house resets and takes out the rest of the tiles beneath the stairs, telling itself that there are stairs on those 4 tiles. With the location of the stairs where you want them, you'd need space north and west of the square you'd want to place on. 2 on each side, to be exact.
Below is why you cannot simply leave 1 tile to the North and West of your stair structure.
Exhibit A.jpg
If you need more pictures/explanation as to how and why this is, let me know and I can do that, but while fiddling around with this I remembered that you can do the stairs trick in Enhanced client, as well, and with the method they use there, you can in fact accomplish what you're trying to do.
E1.jpg
Here, you place a wall over the areas you want to be removed from the stairs...
E2.jpg
Place your stairs....
E3.jpg
And delete the walls. This is actually what it looks like once you've completed those steps. To see your finished product, you have to move floors, just like in CC. In case you're wondering, those 'blank' tiles are the other half of the stairs from me testing to see if this could actually work.
E4.jpg
But here is the design you're looking for, committed and ready to go.
So the benefits of customizing these stairs in EC versus CC is you get more locations in which you can put your stairs.
I'm sorry if you're a diehard CC fan like me, but at least there's a way to do it without moving your stairs/modifying your design!

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you! I'll give it a try right now. This will be the second use of the EC for me. The other is when I'm stealing from chests and need the grid or list view, because a large object covers another in the CC.

Clipboard01.jpg

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LadyElizabeth, you're beautiful! I must admit it's even easier in the EC, even with the discombobulating menus.

stairs4.png