• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are there any books/novels based in the Ultima world?

Valerin

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Just curious if any books or novels were ever written, set in the Ultima universe. I know from time to time various games have books written (Dark Forces, the Tex Murphy games, and obviously many more). Figured with the vast popularity with Ultima Online in the 90s and 00s, some may have been written, but I haven't found any.

Anyone know?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I had always wished a more descriptive fictional book about the Quest of the Avatar was written. Playing Ultima IV on NES back in the day is what led me to this series and ultimately to UO. Having to quest through Britannia and focus on the virtuous results of your decisions and actions was so much more interesting than your typical linear RPG that led from one boss fight to the next to the next.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I actually asked EA games a few years back about writing books based on characters in Ultima Online to see if I could get permissions to do so. I was flat out told NO.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've read all the Ultima books, both the clue/hint-type (which sometimes fictionalizes the info) as well as the pure lore fiction books.

The ancient Ultima Saga books were interesting and entertaining, but were somewhat technically lacking in my opinion. Anyone who hasn't played the canon I-V might be a bit lost. Good luck even finding these books...

The Technocrat War I have very mixed feelings about. They were well written and full of UO2's lore (some of which was shoehorned into Ilshenar), but parts of them are as dry and uninspiring as a desert (descriptions that ramble on, and on, and on). While finding these books online isn't too difficult, be prepared to pay through the nose for a decent copy.

Sadly, all the Ultima fiction books are out of print and no ebook versions exist.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I kind of regret not buying them last time I saw them on the shelf at Waldenbooks .... which is now, itself, long gone....