• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are My Characters Gone?

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am really nervous..

I have not played since December 2007. I logged on to MYUO and did a search and it said I have no players on that shard. I assumed this means that my account is not active or that they have not logged on recently.

So I called EA and a representative said that EA may delete characters after 90 days! WTF? I have never heard of this. He said they recently changed their policy and do "clean ups" from time to time on accounts with characters longer than 90 days.

Now I have visions of my Paladin in a full suit of Valor completely gone. He said he could not tell me if my characters were still there and that I had to re-sign up to find out.

Could this really happen? Of course I may end up logging on tonight but I dont want to re sign up only to have blank character slots..

A

Azazel of LA

doubtful thet they deleted them , if a char is not logged in for over a 3 month period they just dont get updated on the website

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can tell this guy was from India, and barely knew what MyUO was..

He was I assume reading a script that says EA cannot guarantee a character over 90 days, but it sure sounded like he said EA can delete them or will delete them.

It's a shame that I cannot get character info over the phone. Even with Blizzard you can get that. EA wants you to fork over the cash and roll the dice to see if your characters are still around. That is dirty.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Almost certain all your chars are still there. I've know people who have came back after several years and there chars were there. Maybe the Rep you spoke with had confused chars with houses. Usually once a year around the anniversery date, they allow inactive accounts to log into their accounts for a week to participate in the activities (or at least they did that in the past).

T

Tazar

I am really nervous..

I have not played since December 2007. I logged on to MYUO and did a search and it said I have no players on that shard. I assumed this means that my account is not active or that they have not logged on recently.

So I called EA and a representative said that EA may delete characters after 90 days! WTF? I have never heard of this. He said they recently changed their policy and do "clean ups" from time to time on accounts with characters longer than 90 days.

Now I have visions of my Paladin in a full suit of Valor completely gone. He said he could not tell me if my characters were still there and that I had to re-sign up to find out.

Could this really happen? Of course I may end up logging on tonight but I dont want to re sign up only to have blank character slots..
I am not sure why the rep would panic you like that... there has only been one "character clean-up done back in 1998 or 1999 so your players will be there - unless you were hacked and they were deleted. EA-Mythic recently upgraded their servers so that a character clean-up will not be needed again for the foreseeable future.

UO.com will only show characters that have been logged in with-in the last 30 days.

Safe Journeys and welcome back!

B

Blade_Thugluv

EA Reps= Stupid.

I called and was trying to get the password to one of my accounts reset due to not having the email account anymore. They told me that since the account has been off for over a year that there was no items or chars because they delete everything off an account after 30 days. So i had this huge arg with the rep and got no where. Finally after about 10 calls i got the account back (no items as i had got rid of them all before hand). the noobie chars where all still there as i never worked chars on the account just used it for vet reward farming and house holding.

i find that most the time EA Reps sound like they are from India and dont have a clue about the game. Every once in a great while you get a nice one who trys and help and does.

~Blade

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't worry, the site said the same thing for my characters. I reactivated my account after 4 years and there they were. I deleted my toons on my other account and created new stupid named ones and those were even still there.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't worry, the site said the same thing for my characters. I reactivated my account after 4 years and there they were. I deleted my toons on my other account and created new stupid named ones and those were even still there.
Yeah dont be worried, I too have waited years before comming back... just reactivate.. and your good... Typically if you just have not logged in .. (and still payed for account) they disappear off the myuo list... just because you have not logged in for a while. I guess to save server room. Or whatever.

Dont stress. :D

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, as the rest said, do not worry. I have not heard of any single instance where EA decided to delete characters to save data space.

They announced a long time ago that the ability is in place for the deletion of inactive characters, but this would only pertain to characters with very low skills on inactive accounts.

This "character deletion" system is NOT active. They stated that they would give a notice/warning prior, and so far they have never announced the activation of this system.

You should be safe. :)

Right now, they only Delete characters for serious ToS violations.

MyUO - Characters that are not logged into for over 30 days do not appear in the MyUO Listing, whether one's account is active or inactive.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whew. Good.

Now as for my house, last occupied in Dec of 2007, that should be gone right? I expected it because I emptied it first...

Houses are 90 days right? So at least be active within 90 days I guess..

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whew. Good.

Now as for my house, last occupied in Dec of 2007, that should be gone right? I expected it because I emptied it first...

Houses are 90 days right? So at least be active within 90 days I guess..
Normally, Houses begin to decay 90 days after a player's account goes inactive. It then takes 5-8 (roughly) more days for the house to decay completely.

So yeah, unfortunately your houses are most likely gone. *frowns*

(I say "normally" because there are known issues with some inactive/osi owned houses not decaying properly. You might be one of the "lucky" ones.)

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
MyUO doesn't show characters that haven't logged in within the last 30 days. Since it has been 90 days since you last subscribed, you therefore will not have your characters appear. MyUO is there to show 'active' characters. :)

S

Sneaky

I am really nervous..

Your chars will only show up on uo.com if they have been active (logged on) in the last 30 days.

EA has not done a char wipe on any server for ohhh, probably not this millennium, so I will say with 99.99% certainty that your chars are safe and sound.

The EA rep would of told you that because its his job to cover his company's ass so if your chars weren't there you don't have a pancake and complain to em :p ... and yes in theory you could have your chars wiped like he said after 30 days, EA could also close UO completely after only a 30 warning, it doesn't mean they are going to do it.

Back before the year 2000 char wipes did happen (may have happened since but I am not aware of any), I lost my original chars on Napa this way when I quit from 99-01.

*edit* Yeh, just read rest of thread, your house will be gone for sure if its been longer than 90 day since your account was active.