• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are any of you tabletop wargamers?

• Thread starter Dor of Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Dor of Sonoma

I was, for years - and still would be, if there were enough players in my local area to get a gaming group together. *grins*

Games about pirates and seafaring have always numbered among my favorites. There are three in particular that I had tons o' fun playing: Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Privateer and Swashbuckler(!).

Wooden Ships & Iron Men was perhaps one of my earliest experiences with tabletop wargames. It was awesome and intense - I remember taking hours to plot my moves, as there were so many details and variables to keep in mind. The SOLs were downright scary on a hex grid (when they weren't yours ;-)

Privateer was designed by a friend of mine, Scott Peterson. We had loads of fun playtesting it at conventions - with Scott always in full pirate regalia, of course. Backstabbing and cheating during the course of play were not only permitted, they were actively encouraged! *grins* His first copies had hand silkscreened, cloth maps, and were beautiful. Soon after he released the game though, Avalon Hill purchased the rights and it was turned into a slightly different critter. (and then, someone stole my prototype, autographed copy *grrr*)

And then there was Swashbuckler (an OoP Yaquinto Album Game), which was packed with dirty fighting and FUN. You could fight on ship deck and/or in a tavern, using anything you could grab to wield as a weapon - including your plumed hat, which all characters are assumed to have available. To quote Yaquinto:
Swashbuckler is based on 80 years of movies that featured swordplay and uninspired plots. Pirates and Muskateers. Pieces of Eight. Flashing swords and muttered oaths. Yanked carpets, shoved tables, toppled shelves, thrown chairs and ale mugs (empty or full). Jumping, yelling, swinging on ropes with knife in teeth, or swinging from a chandelier with oiled ringlets shining. Swashbuckler is all this and more, with an easy to learn and use fast-moving simultaneous game system that allows the players to loot ships and wreck taverns, with victory going to the bravest, strongest, most skillful...and most surpassingly devious player.
Do you have similar games to share, or memories of playing these? I'd love to hear about them!