• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

arc's archery guide

M

mrwarpig

I've been getting great gains at around 75 shooting lich lords. Remember to bring your fire-proof suit and good way to keep healed. Good luck...
Edit: Since this post I got to 79 archery on lich lords, from just over 75, in about 2 hours.

M

Mephisto Krom

I've already asked this once but figure I might get more responses here. I heard there is a ledge in Shame lvl2 for dull coppers that you could stand on. Did they nerf that ledge because my friend can't seem to get there. Anyone know?

B

Buliwyf Killhund

Excellent post,
I have a gm swords, nearly gm tactics and anat, warrior I was looking to try and gm in archery and intend to employ this guide.
Just a couple of questions;
1. Can i get his tchance increase trinkets and if so would this be better than +archery trinkets ?
2. Also would anyone be interested in me posting my progress ?

Thanks again for post

A

Aden

The shrine in Ilsh is the Humility shrine. go thru, then head south by southwest till you come to a swampy area. Wander around there until you find a small hut with undead surrounding it, that's where the RC's spawn, just drag them back towards the shrine,. or out into the wilderness somewhere. BTW, if you follow the rock face north from the shrine, you find a graveyard that spawns Lich Lords, a real easy loot bringer for a pally/archer. Just dispel evil when the spawn gets too rough, and drag the LL north from the graveyard to a wide safe area about 1 1/2 screens away. Easy.

Pathagiris

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i cant get the rotter safe spot to work on cats i go there, telly up but then the rotter just walks alittle north or south and comes up to say hi

D

Dashiva1877

it must really like the tea that you've got in your sig. the rotty just has to have some, so it wants to get real close to you.

F

fartica

i gain off dragons , Im bout 114 now and slowly going up since i started hunting them in ish or use a an ancient wrymm and have fun doing a challenge and gain same time .

G

Gama

<blockquote><hr>

2. There is no lich in Vesper Cemetary, he's in Yew Cemetary

<hr></blockquote>

Wrong, only skeletons spawn in yew cemetary, there's a lich in the moonglow cemetary last i checked

D

drak

Ok my question is this.. now that we are nearing Pub 20 is this guide still accurate? Im about to start my second Archer... and I dont want to waste time/ammo if nothing in this works anymore (due to changes etc)

Any help is appreciated.

U

Uten Ansiktet

<blockquote><hr>

Ok my question is this.. now that we are nearing Pub 20 is this guide still accurate? Im about to start my second Archer... and I dont want to waste time/ammo if nothing in this works anymore (due to changes etc)

Any help is appreciated.

<hr></blockquote>

I'd have to say don't waste ur time with earth ellies at all, I can not get a single solitary stinking gain out of them (I am at 82.4). I will gain .1 off of every 5 or 6 cyclopean warriors at this point. I am at a loss as to what to be killing right now for gains....

I can say that up to this point the guide has been pretty good. One thing that is not mentioned that you will get pretty good gains off of when you are in the 60's - 75ish, is dire wolves. As far as gaining right now for me, I am still trying to find something to gain off of.

P

Patriarch

I've been fighting skeletons in the yew graveyard and there's more than enough spawn for one person to not have to wait. But I have a problem- My gains have been slowing down alot, and now I don't gain for about 5 or 10 minutes. Is this how it's supposed to be from 50-70 at skeletons? Seems like I'm gonna suck through a ton of bolts by then. Also does anybody have any advice on getting myself bolts without a good cash flow? I'm on Great Lakes and the only player vendors I've looked at sell them for 8-10 each. I don't have a tamer or bard anymore so it's tuff to get that kind of cash when I wanna get 10k bolts. Thanks for the help in advance, and great guide!

M

mrwarpig

I slowly but surely got up to 99.2 then my gains seemed stuck. I went and shot up some ogre lords and dull coppers with no gains. Then I went to visit the RC's, after about 10 RC's I got one gain. Today I went balron hunting. I got two gains off the first one, /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif. Nothing off the next 10 though. After that I went and killed several RC's and dull coppers with no gains. I'll try again later...
99.5 archery and counting...

B

BreannaCIA

Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong.. I have 101.0 archery i tried RC's stone harpies stone gargs with jewlery without jewlery I went through over 2K arrowers with NO gain... what do i do/ fight at 101 or if i boost with stuff what do i fight then

pls HELP

P

Patriarch

I have a set of +20 archery jewelry, but I seem to get much better gains when Im not wearing it. Try no jewelry and just sit at RC's for awhile

A

aurora_stuart

something that also not mentioned in the guide(s) is juka's. since about 70 to 75ish i took my archer to Wrong and gm'd there in about a week. i've had a 110ps in me and so far they've gotten me up to 102.3. i now have a 120ps in me and i can almost bet they'll get me there. especially since not only are there juka warriors, but juka lords, juka mages, golems..and for the life of me i can't remember the name of that other thing that spawns in the "back room".

i have never worn jewelry, i found it to be a waste of time, especially when you get the point where you really don't need it anymore and for the life of you, no one wants to buy it.

also, talking about the lich spawn in the cementary, i've only found this to happen in Fel. of course, i do play on LA..things might be a lil diff. on your shards.

and one more thing, talking about killing things on a boat, you sir, must have misread the post. they were talking about bards provo'ing from a boat offshore, not fishermen.

I

imported_LadyMargaret

Patience, and a lot of bolts.

From GM I've been parking at the RCs. I'll usually go thru 1000 to 2000 bolts, then be too bored to stay any longer. I'm at 117 and still gaining.

No + Arch Jewelry, but I am using a +20 SSI Repeater to make it go as fast as possible. I usually gain about .5, some days zero, some 1.0

J

Joshua-NV

Bet nobody else noticed that there's a bow in LadyMargaret's sig.

I

imported_LadyMargaret

LOL, thanks for noticing!
btw, RCs DID take me all the way to 120 safely. Tons of bolts used, but the gold from the RCs was enough to pay for them.
Boring, but I watched TV while shooting them.

A

alkaiser88

<blockquote><hr>

I have a set of +20 archery jewelry, but I seem to get much better gains when Im not wearing it. Try no jewelry and just sit at RC's for awhile

<hr></blockquote>

Hit Chance Increase is much better for working weapon skill.

Get about 20-25% from jewlery, get a repeating x-bow with 5-10, and then you've got 25-35% Hit Chance Increase. It won't really kick in (benefit wise) until about 50.0 Archery, but train, then do corpsers on level 2 despise until 45.0-50.0. Then walk outside to level 2-3 passage, and kill skeletons until 70.0. Then, go back in and kill harpies until 80 (maybe up till 85, depends on patience), at 85, get an ogre slayer and shoot away at Artic Ogre Lords, felucca is preferred for all of this. If you have a problem with reds.. then you have a problem with reds. I suggest invisibility, or hiding. Hiding is easily addable to a template when working skill, about 75.0 will be great. 75 hiding will provide you with necessary means for every situation..

Therefore, you only need 3 runes, and sacred journey, magery, or recall scrolls, to work archery.

One Rune to Luna Bank (preferred)
One Rune to right outside level 2, in the level 2-3 passage of covetous, felucca
One Rune to Ice Dungeon, right outside, north a bit, felucca
(optional) One Rune to Black Ant Hole near Minoc, felucca (for sending bags, it makes it easier to keep working archery on ogre lords from 85-120.)

Things to note:
-You are going to need about 50-60 repair deeds.. this will cost you about 5k, maybe less, depends on if you have a fletcher.
-You are going to need a repeating crossbow, at least 2 of these attributes are recommended:
Faster Casting 1
Hit Chance Increase 5-10%
Swing Speed Increase 5-10%

If you don't have a good archery vendor, a good suggestion for collecting arrows/bolts is Compassion Illshenar. Kill Ratmen Archers just northeast of the gypsy camp for 40-50 arrows per ratmen. Then, if you need crossbows, travel into Central Illshenar, and then ride to the Meer Area, and kill Meer Captains, for 40-50 bolts per piece. Getting karma is recommended before fighting these. A good place to get karma is evil mage lords. The best location for these (I have found), is Ahnk, because they are secluded in a room. They are easy glorious lord, if you go to fel and kill these repedetively, you can get g-lord on any char in about 15 minutes, this is helpful, Anhk is a pretty long run, so, if you find a better place (like Fire Dungeon Trammel), use it.

I think that's about it for my tips/additions.

A

alkaiser88

Oh yeah, if your going to work Chivalry, I suggest 70.0 or 75.0 MAX, you don't need any higher than that. And tithing at Luna is easiest, since the anhk is upstairs, and you can walk a few steps, bank, then walk back to the anhk.

Faster Casting 1-3 is great for chivalry.. You need at least faster casting 1, and I suggest getting 80.0 focus before starting, this will be extremely helpful when casting moving spells (spells where you can move while casting). I know I casted divine fury over 900000000000000 times when working archery, right now, I'm at 87.0 killing artic ogre lords, but it's fun, I've got a 70% fire damage comp. bow /w 15% swing speed increase for them. Once I get GM Fletching on my crafter, I will probably start altering bows from juka lords to try to get some good slayers.

My template: (current///goal)
Swordsmanship 96.4///105.0
Tactics 101.2///110.0
Anatomy 105.0///105.0
Archery 87.0///110.0
Chivalry 75.0///75.0
Lumberjacking 61.0///100.0
Focus 97.0///110.0 (for some reason, focus isn't raising as fast as it should be)

And this template was created for Doom... it's nowhere near completion..

The generalization of the template's goal is that:
1. It will be able to kill the small spawn quickly
2. It will be able to shoot the monsters with whirlwind
3. It will be able to use a double-axe or two-handed axe, with daemon slayer, and do 150-200 damage doublehits (which is verrry nice)
4. Once I've completed archery, I'm considering trading swordsmanship/lumberjacking/focus for magery/evalint/meditation, this will give me the ability to use a spell channeling daemon slayer bow, enemy of one, and earth elementals, as well as the ability to fireball the crap out of lesser spawn.

Just a few things I'd like to put my insight in about.

C

Cookie1981

Just thought I'd add my 2cents...
Started archery from nothing yesterday. Bought skill up to 32 or so. Ran around Haven and Moonglow killing about anything I saw, mainly llamas and great harts got gains. That brought me to 50.
Today I went from 50 to 65, just in Despise with the lizardmen. Good spawn, always something to shoot at.
Made 3 trips to Ilsh Compassion to kill archer rats, getting 1k arrows each trip. The trick with archer rats is to sloooow them down, and bleed attack works wonderfully for that. Watch out for the shaman rats though, you can't tell what they are until they suddenly throw 3 spells in a row at you, many times poison. Anyway, this method of arrow gathering sure beats hours chopping wood...
I plan to follow this guide for the remainder of my training, see how it works. thanks for the info everyone!

G

Glorfindel

I've had awful luck so far, im pretty much stalled at 79. I haven't tried jukas out yet, so with me luck on them.

roninaxx

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no the liche is in the cove graveyard, there is a vesper cemetary its next to the road

G

Man i like my archer. I think I will play this char the most from now on. With my main char (fencer/pally) I can't go anywhere, at least no tough things like doom. With my archer, which is far from competed, I'm doing doom now. I get good gains from bone daemons with my daemon slayer juka bow. Currently at 98.8. I think I will GM archery in 2-3 days /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

The 80's went pretty slow for me, doing earth ellies and dc ellies. The 90's went pretty fast, doing Ogre Lords in despise. Somehow al my chars end up in despise doing ogre lords. I always get good gains there.

J

jbarlak

Congratulations on your GM mark. now its time for Elderly Status. Keep It going.
What type of bow did you use against the bow demon? Thanks for your help
John from Catskills

I

imported_Guildmule

I am the slowest skill gainer in the world! In that 28 month's time, I played EVERYDAY for long hours (6+ hours a day). I never macroed one single skill.

Well when my mage decided to become an archer for the fun of it, I went and seeked advices from people. This is what I did...

- Buy archery skill in town and find yourself any repeating xbow with some SS+ and load up on bolts.

- Up to 70: Shoot at Corspers in Level 1 Coveteous until archery reaches 70.
(less than 4 days and nothing illegal about it, Corpses broke and dont hit back, I am only standing there with xbow in hand, autodefend made me kill them, not me)

- 70-85: Wear +10 or more Archery jewelry and go to Doom. There are a few area in Doom, where you can lure RC to and shoot at them with only slight chance of yourself getting hit.
(beware of Zombies, for they had learn the ART of OPENNING DOORS AND GATES)

- 85-120: Once your Real skill Archery reaches above 85, remove jewelry and continue to shoot at RCs; good time to wear HIT Chance Increase jewelry now. This will get you to 120 Archery.

* Whenever you feel you are stuck or in a hump, put on any Archery Skill Bonus jewelry to help you get pass the hump.

This is not even boring because you see all the Doom thiefs run around all day and night. I was even tipped a few times with minor stealable artifacts for rezzing some dead thiefs.

G

I've been following the guide and making decent progress. Here's my opinion of how the guide ought to be revised thus far (keep in mind that I'm only at 71.5 so far)

0-30ish : buy it
30-40: great harts and hinds
40-70: skeletons, wraiths, spectres, and ghouls. was a bit stuck at 68.4, but the 6 gp fighters w/ shield and weapon got me past it to 70.2

At this point, I have had poor luck with harpies, and slightly better luck with earth elementals. I've read that the 6 gp fighters may still be helful at my level. I'll update this as I go along.

edit: So far, my best gains in the early 70s have come from air elementals. I've also gotten some gains from efreets.

edit2: 72 - 75 have gotten excellent gains from reapers.

G

Above 70?

Three words:

Juka, Juka, Juka

Slow, but steady gains. Fairly easy to outrun, throw a blade now and then if they try to gang up on you. Lvl 5 Fame and Karma gains.

Mavar

G

This is nothing new just Seas Post written a little more user friendly.
Good Job Seas Thanks..

30-40 - greater harts and deer - sacrifice moongate ilshenar
40-70 - skeletons - yew graveyard or yew crypts - yew moongate
70-90 - earth elementals - sacrifice ilshenar, shame lvl1 or a bit from honor moongate ilshenar.
80-90-120 - rotting corpses - humility moongate ilshenar

except rc's anyway there's these(note: add more) which are good to train on, and only have a melee attack:
arctic ogre lord
ogre lord
orc brute
terathan avenger
ophidian knigt-errant/avenger
frost troll
skeletal/bone knight
snow elemental
cyclops
terathan warrior

J

Jumba

I've been gone from UO for about a year. I have a GM Archor and I did it really quick. It took me about a day to go to 100. As far as 100 on not sure just started back up again. What worked for me was I would go to vesper cemetary and cast blade spirits on the other side of the gate and shoot away. I got amazing gains from shooting the blade spirit. When starting our Archor guild we GM'd around five archors this way. Now I"m not sure if it will still work but wouldn't be surprised. If you dont have the magery find a friend to help you out. I'll check out what gains I get for 100 to 120 as I start on that journay.

A

Antman852

I Dont See Any Pictures /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

M

MoroccanDevil

* Replying to the thread in general cauz I'm too lazy to find the right post to respond to *

I second Mavar - especially for gains after 90 - Jukas (Lords and Mages) ALWAYS gave me very consistent gains until 110. I don;t know after that because I can't afford a 120 archery.

Also I wonder - nobody posted anything about the Tinkered Golems and 100% poison bows. I read stuff about this but as I never tried it myself I'm not sure how to do it. I just got a 100% poison bow that a guild mate gave me and I have a second archer to train (Pirate - Har!) so I'd love to hear any info on this.

K

Ktan

Basically you need the following:

1) Weapon with 100% Poison Damage
2) a Golem - GM crafted ones will have higher wrestling. Get a tamer with 110 Lore or over to tell you what your Golems wrestling is. (get a Golen withing 15 points of your own Weapon Skill)
3) Be in a guild, or in Fell
4) get as much ammo as you can hold
5) Say all guard me acouple of times
6) Shoot away at your hearts content, the Golem will hit you once, and then just stand there like a big target.

BE CAREFULL

OSI Rules say something alone the lines of.....

'If you are raising skills you have to be able to respond to GM if they ask you a question, if you dont then it will be assumed that you are unattended macroing"

Then you get ur account banned.
Yes, I know of someone that this has happened to. They seem to take a very slightly dim view of this method of skill gaining - it was never supposed to be this easy.

Ill be very surprised if Hand crafted Golens Poison resist isny lowered to 95 (or something) in the next publish.

M

MoroccanDevil

Ktan,
Thanks! Does this work on non Tinkered Golems too?

Of course you would not be able to stay in one spot. But since they have lower wrestling, that would mean that you could start earlier than with tinkered golems, no?

BTW, at what skill level would one want to start with this method?

K

Ktan

In a word - No!

Tinkered Golems have 100% Poison resist

Wild Golems Dont.

B

Big Kurby

Wow I went from 30 to 45 so far with great gain's in yew at the crypt in no time and showing from this guide they gain tell 70 I suggest this way Buy to 30 then go to yew crypt tell 70 if they really gain that long.