• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Archery Mage

V

Vaelix

** PVP **

With the Powerhouse of Mysticism being around (I do have an Inscribe Myst Mage)..

I'm qurious to know what people think of a Basic "Tank" mage or "Tactics" mage with Archery.. Aka

120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Med
120 Resist
120 Archery
120 Tactics

I know i can pull this off with the Gear / Pots for the Dex and Still keep enough mana to be suficient for Spells / Specials.

Im honestly just wondering how people think a mage like this will stack up compared to other "Powerhouse" Mage templates (Mainly Myst considering that the recent buffs to myst made it the Top PvP Mage Template)

Anyone with Experience on a Temp like this?

*Also it gives me a reason to use my Token of holy favor* (Man that thing has a lot of good mods)

:thumbup1:

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been playing that template for years... and I was the only tactics archer mage on my shard for years until recently some newcomers started playing it on my shard.

The template is great but not very flexible.
The burst is great but it's not useful in 1v1 dueling situation. But when you have a group to tag along you DO IN FACT have better burst damage than even the mystic mages.

However,
You have limited survivability compared to most other mages out there. For the newer players who play this character might find himself easily taken down. It takes you extra skills (because you need true weapon skill and not mage weapon). You will not have ninja unless you sacrifice med or resist, and you WILL BE an archer bait. When you are dismounted it gets very challenging. And due to the delay of archery/spell combination you will find yourself standing still for a brief moment waiting for your shots to go off in between casting (which again makes you an archer bait, you are very easily dismounted since you cant stay outside their 8 tile dismount range when you are attempting to lay a combo).

I still have my archer mage, hasnt played him in PvP for awhile, been playing archers/dexers and mystic mages more (mainly because I play on a shard filled with archers).

It's a solid template. You will need to work VERY HARD to imbue a matching suit for that template. And your weapon can get pretty tight in intensity as well. e.g a basic bow SC-1 + Balanced takes 250 to begin, SC Balanced takes 390 at least... And you do need a great suit to support that template, unless of course you can run regs and makes armor making easier.

Good luck.

V

Vaelix

As far as the Suit goes, Since i will be Non Inscribe, And Only magery offense, I origionally planned on going with Regs anyway for the Extra 5% SDI.

And yeah i was looking at the Bows, I figure i will have 3 Bows and only add balanced to 1, Aka : Comp Fireball, Regular Bow Balanced, Heavy Fireball Velo (No SSI)

Either way i'll work it out, good to hear that the template isnt out damaged by myst though

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
dont forget to keep ur int up for mana regen and spell damage purposes.

I personally am rocking a mysticism mage dexer, its nifty o.0. But im still not playing it to its full potential ...grr....some day lol

I built the lrc into my suit, as running regs sucks jsut sucks these days. If i was at yew gate, and could just restock if i died...no prob. But if you are having a big field fight somewhere, and u die and get dry looted, you are screwed for a while.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as the Suit goes, Since i will be Non Inscribe, And Only magery offense, I origionally planned on going with Regs anyway for the Extra 5% SDI.

And yeah i was looking at the Bows, I figure i will have 3 Bows and only add balanced to 1, Aka : Comp Fireball, Regular Bow Balanced, Heavy Fireball Velo (No SSI)

Either way i'll work it out, good to hear that the template isnt out damaged by myst though
Mystic doesnt out "burst" archery mage. And even tho it doesnt hit much I do get kills from using a moving shot. If they take a full combo from you they are usually running away redlined, and I often kill people with moving shot + lighting proc.

It is a still very viable template. I played tactics mages (hally and warhammer) when UO was still in beta and thats back when you have to drop your weapon to cast and rearm to hit people and disarm yourself to release your held spell. I started playing archer mage after AoS when we get SC weapons, and Ive been thru all the special toggling nerf ect and is still valid up till today.

Again you wont be as defensive as other mages especially you cannot use a GH wand. But that temp is still king of bust damage especially if you pick up GM scribe and/or fit 60 necro for omen. And if you really wanna go extreme, drop med and get 50 ninja, and now you can explosion FS double shot with quad-proc capability.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Med
120 Resist
120 Archery
120 Tactics
I ran this template but I did it with 90 tactics and 50 meditation, and threw on 100 anatomy.

I added anatomy so I didn't need any DI on my suit to hit the 35 AI and it also allows you to have the eval/anat natural defense if you get disarmed. I loved this template.

Sometimes I would see-saw my dex/int around depending on whether I wanted to play a mage or an archer that day. It was great.

Then I got a dread mare and made the char into an archer tamer and xferred it off somewhere.

J

[JD]

I added anatomy so I didn't need any DI on my suit to hit the 35 AI and it also allows you to have the eval/anat natural defense if you get disarmed. I loved this template.
Lynk, what's this about needing anat to hit 35 pt AI? Don't you just need 100 DI on your suit?

C

Cloak&Dagger

Lynk, what's this about needing anat to hit 35 pt AI? Don't you just need 100 DI on your suit?
of course he said that he did it so he would not need to have DI increase.

J

[JD]

Cloak‡1734308 said:
of course he said that he did it so he would not need to have DI increase.
??

Are you saying with Anatomy you don't need 100 DI?

i'm running 120 tac/anat and 100 DI on my archer... i hope I'm not wasting skill points and/or imbue slots on my armor/weapons

explain pls..

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well for a normal archer it is probly smart to have hard hitting moving shots.. I Just went with anat to make sure my AIs hit 35 and I had the natural defense when I was disarmed.

C

Capt.E

Basically what he is saying is that he is only using AI. If this is the only special you plan to use, or AI, dismount and mortal actually, then no you don't need di. But he is more than likely setup to blast them with Mage spells. Which is very much opposed to the standard archer. You need as much damage output as you can get. I hope this cleared it up, but I have a feeling it may have muddled it further.
My only suggestion:

Build the suit first!

Then be prepared to relearn to pvp. I play dexxers and mages, but having both on the same temp is wonky to put it nicely.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a few ways to do this.

I played this template for years and I pretty much tried them all.

1. If you are going mage nuke with AI finisher (this means you are main-mage off-dexer) I use GM inscribe you WANT 15sdi, drop Med to a point and GM scribe and pump the rest into anatomy. Maximize spell damage output. Imbue a bow with no SSI but sc balanced hit spell. (ideally getting 3/6 on your suit and use sc-1 bows so you SAVE 140 intensity for hit spell that what I do)

2. If you are dexer like, you built a suit and ignore LRC and run regs. Build an archer suit (with high amount of + stam and +mana) but the tricky part is fitting 2/6 as well as 15sdi, 45hci is crucial and balance the DCI with DI. Imbue bows with SC-1 SSI, Balanced and hit spell. You open your combo just like normal mage, but after that you switch to archer route and moving shot and use magery to disrrupt. This setup you want to run 150+ stam and 110mana (after chug). In this case you drop med for anatomy.

3. You can do it half assed (like a lot of archer mages outthere). That I wont mention (in case people playing these types cussing me out)

IMO, You go extreme Dexer route or Extreme mage route. The suits are challenging but it's possible with imbuing and I have a kick ass suit for setup 1. (40 LMC, 43 HCI, 58DCI, 3/6 casting to use sc-1 bows, 50ish DI, +25hp and 100% LRC and so on).

It's nice if you can do 35AI all the time, but it's not crucial. At moderate DI on suit and just GM tactics and 20 human anatomy (again I run setup 1) you you AI from 32 to 35 averaging 33 which is more than enough. Hope this helps.

D

Death Adder

dont forget to keep ur int up for mana regen and spell damage purposes.

I personally am rocking a mysticism mage dexer, its nifty o.0. But im still not playing it to its full potential ...grr....some day lol

I built the lrc into my suit, as running regs sucks jsut sucks these days. If i was at yew gate, and could just restock if i died...no prob. But if you are having a big field fight somewhere, and u die and get dry looted, you are screwed for a while.
You could build 2 suits, one without LRC and one with LRC. That way you could use the more powerful suit until you lose your regs, then switch to the LRC suit.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You could build 2 suits, one without LRC and one with LRC. That way you could use the more powerful suit until you lose your regs, then switch to the LRC suit.
lol, doable yes, would i do it? no lol.

C

Cloak&Dagger

??

Are you saying with Anatomy you don't need 100 DI?

i'm running 120 tac/anat and 100 DI on my archer... i hope I'm not wasting skill points and/or imbue slots on my armor/weapons

explain pls..
Pretty much as has been explained thus far. 100 Anatomy will get you the 35 AI hits, you do not need DI to accomplish this, but if you are just a normal archer, or are more prone to going the archer route on a mage/archer then it is best to keep the DI as well, as it adds to the damage, only difference is AI still hits for 35, but all the other shots will benefit from DI. Hopefully that helps more?

V

Vaelix

Don't know about them, but after working it out I'll be running The temp i originally wanted to go with AKA

120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Med
120 Resist
120 Archery
120 Tactics

My suit will look like :
(I'll be in Factions)

HCI - Stormgrips (10) Primer Tali (10) Token of Holy Favor (10) Imbued Ring (15) : 45

DCI - Kasa (10) Feys (20) Token of Holy Favor (10) Imbued Ring (15) Quiver (5) Conj Garb (5) Tangle (5) - 70

SDI - Kasa (12) Token of Holy Favor (4) - 16 (15)

Sadly unless i can get a Glad Collar, I will only be able to get 32 LMC, But I'll Manage.