• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Archer Tamer

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
While I wait for suggestions for my main tamer and his stable, I thought I would dive into my dusty archer tamer. Hopefully this thread will be more fruitful in information.

temp1.jpg
Lore is capped at 110, Vet is currently 100 with +10 from jewels, and Archery is capped at 110 and he has a hunter's headdress somewhere in his bank, I think. (I may need to secure a new one lol). I have basic pets, GD, Rune Beetle, Pre-Patch Nightmares, Pre-Patch WW, Dread Steed, Rune Beetle, a couple of Pre-Patch 2 slot Bake Kitsunes.

So my questions are:
  1. What pets and templates would pair nicely with archery?
  2. Is this template too old? Is there a more suitable template for an archer tamer?
  3. Can UO catch my attention again and I resub when my month is over or will I end up back in Eve Online?

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cu Sidhe is an excellent pet for your template. Have Taming at 120 and run Mastery’s. Vet only needs to be 100 and put something else on jewelry. Drop Med and Focus. You will have a problem with healing, getting interrupted, with Chivalry unless you have 4/6 FC/ FCR. Maximize damage with Composite Bow’s

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Looks like you have 1 tamer at 120.
Make this one necro archer then.
110 lore 112 taming (say NO to All Kill, use Guard me and shoot)
Drop vet.
Other skills ; Archery(better be 120 real, necro (99) tactics.
Rest : anat, healing, chiv. bushido, resist spells according what you are fighting and what slayers you have.
You need tanky pet for this. Cu or triton will be good. I recommend triton for the beginning : no need Wrestling scrolls. Area hit on your bow for small stuff, HLA/HLD for big. And your pet will stay alive.
If you stay with vet,
try Unicorn and Najasaurus: this beasts cannot be poisoned. All bandage vet healing goes to health.
One more tanky dinosaur : Saurosaurus can leech life.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Using guard instead of all kill makes you the tank instead of your pet.

Drop med and focus. Drop chiv to 80, vet to 80, tactics to 60, get anat and healing to 80, and then scroll up lore and taming to 115.

Use enhanced bandages and you can rez cure and heal your pet and yourself. Use all speacials. DI on jewels should bring ya to cap.

Mountable pets work better as tanks at 5 slot, otherwise you may want a max 4 slot thats mountable so you can use an ethy later for mobility.

Pets that work well, beetles would be good. RC AP, so you do more damage. But really you can build a pet for your encounter, or to maximize your weapon damage.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Draza it is quite useful. You can kite mobs, circling and shooting. Your pet cannot. Yes, it is all for different encounter and play style.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Archery
120 Tact
90 Vet
GM Chiv
50 Bushido

One of the best pets for a Archer/Tamer is a 4 slot 120 Disco+CB Triton as you ride a Swampy or Ethy. The Triton will tank the foe and debuff their Resists (particularly Energy), while you use Double Shot/AP with a 100% Energy Yumi that has Slayer/HML/HSL/Hit Lightning/DI (or HLA if you don't need the DI, and use Mace & Shield variant to apply HLD as well). You can run Consume Damage on your pet while leeching Mana back with shots. The Bushido is for Double Shot/AP with Yumi, Honor, and Confidence. This build has a lot of damage output while providing some group utility with debuffs (Disco+CB+AP+HLA+HLD).
If you're in a party and your pet isn't tanking, then you can switch to Archery Mastery and run "Play the Odds" to apply a HCI/SSI buff to your party members and pets (including your own), which works great for counteracting Howl of Cacophany/Aura of Nausea.

Last edited:

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Draza it is quite useful. You can kite mobs, circling and shooting. Your pet cannot. Yes, it is all for different encounter and play style.
Yep, just wanted to toss that point out. Unless your using moving shot, you might suffer a dps loss. If my pet can tank it, or if i can, sometimes standing still is the better option.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Yep, just wanted to toss that point out. Unless your using moving shot, you might suffer a dps loss. If my pet can tank it, or if i can, sometimes standing still is the better option.
In Wildfire it was pretty good. Small mobs I kill with one shot. Bigger or paragon we kill together . Then teleport somewhere else(in Tram). In Fel (champ spawn) level 3 and 4 of spawn Triton was doing way better then me. Especially before I refined my fire resists.
Mini champs : Passage of tears is faster with pet. Devour of Souls faster without it. And my sample does it faster then thrower.
Passage (for breastplate) I do with ranged only, hate slugs eat my samphire weapon. Wrath of dryad (no slug increased wear) damage is too low. So you just need to try all .

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Passage (for breastplate) I do with ranged only, hate slugs eat my samphire weapon. Wrath of dryad (no slug increased wear) damage is too low. So you just need to try all .
Having "Spell Channelling" on your wep prevents acid damage on it from killing slimes. You can imbue a SC Wep with Hit Area for slaughtering slimes. The ground acid from the Interred Grizzles is still a problem for armor durability though.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Having "Spell Channelling" on your wep prevents acid damage on it from killing slimes. You can imbue a SC Wep with Hit Area for slaughtering slimes. The ground acid from the Interred Grizzles is still a problem for armor durability though.
Thanks! I finally can imbue weapon I like and drop my ninjia in the pit . Today lots of slugs in the pit died ! Artisan festival coming. Need lots of gold ingots !

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Archery
120 Tact
90 Vet
GM Chiv
50 Bushido

One of the best pets for a Archer/Tamer is a 4 slot 120 Disco+CB Triton as you ride a Swampy or Ethy. The Triton will tank the foe and debuff their Resists (particularly Energy), while you use Double Shot/AP with a 100% Energy Yumi that has Slayer/HML/HSL/Hit Lightning/DI (or HLA if you don't need the DI, and use Mace & Shield variant to apply HLD as well). You can run Consume Damage on your pet while leeching Mana back with shots. The Bushido is for Double Shot/AP with Yumi, Honor, and Confidence. This build has a lot of damage output while providing some group utility with debuffs (Disco+CB+AP+HLA+HLD).
If you're in a party and your pet isn't tanking, then you can switch to Archery Mastery and run "Play the Odds" to apply a HCI/SSI buff to your party members and pets (including your own), which works great for counteracting Howl of Cacophany/Aura of Nausea.
I am enjoying this on so far. I am using a 4 slot high plains boura to tank for me while I look for a good triton.