1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Broadsword team is seeking alternative castle designs! Learn more and discuss here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Broadsword is hosting a 20th Anniversary Party for UO this September! Learn more here. Will you be there, Guest?
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Archer for Lord Oaks spawn

Discussion in 'UO Warrior' started by JFSF, Jun 26, 2017.

1. JFSF

JFSF Journeyman

Hello All. Ive been thinking about building a char just to be able to use at Lord Oaks champ spawn. Leaning toward an archer due to the ridges being hard to reach fast enough on my samp to advance the candles. Wondered about template ideas just to be suited toward Oaks and other High Karma monsters. Thanks

2. Max Blackoak

Max Blackoak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

necro dexxer templates make sense there, since they want low karma anyways. I used to do it on a mace wammy but also had trouble with the ridges (biggest problem with that was it slowed you down)

3. JFSF

JFSF Journeyman

So would a necro style archer work well there? Maybe just enough necro for vamp and have max Spirit Speak

4. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I actually run a vampire archer there with a 100% fire fey slayer yumi and she works pretty well. For Oaks himself and Silvani, get a fey slayer composite bow for AI.
    I have bushido and chiv on her, but I am seriously considering dropping it for something else. Using Exodus, I dropped her karma to -32K so the fey aggro on her, making the spawn go a bit faster as well.

JFSF likes this.
  5. JFSF

JFSF Journeyman

what does your skill template look like now @BeaIank

6. JFSF

JFSF Journeyman

@BearCorpse you have any suggestions to a good temp for just the oaks spawn? I saw your vido where you soloed the encounter in less than 30 minutes and right now me and a fighting buddy cant do it that fast with 2 of us

7. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Supporter Campaign Patron UWF

Does it have to necessarily be a necro archer? I find Vamp Form to be generally a waste on ranged fighters. Wraith form is great for mana leach... but the slow movement can impede you in the event of being swarmed by mobs or a raid. Are you also using necro for other casting abilities?

While I now generally prefer my Sampire for any spawns, I previously would use ABC archer on Lord Oaks and do generally okay there. Granted, we were usually in a group of atleast 4-5. I would also suggest different bows with different set ups to see what works best (i.e., different elemental bows with AI, bows with various hit spells, AOE effects). Once you get into a comfort zone with the different weapons, you can set your macros to be able to change with one button in the event you want to fire up at the ridges and then change back to different weapon for ground level or whatever else you're fighting.

8. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie

When you have very low karma to cause aggro, vampire form is the only way to survive as an archer.

9. Max Blackoak

Max Blackoak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

or wraith form while keeping curse weapon up all the time...

10. JFSF

JFSF Journeyman

I'd like to make a char just for the oaks spawn. Corpse of Bear has a video of him soloing the entire spawn and champ in less than 30 minutes. Me and another friend have problems doing it in 45 with the two of us. Looking for template ideas suited for this champ spawn only.

11. Max Blackoak

Max Blackoak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

usually he shows his template and weapons in his videos...might wanna go there and take a look.

12. JFSF

JFSF Journeyman

Unfortunately in that video he doesn't. It's some sort of hybrid temp. He is using archery for level 1 and 2 I think and swords for the rest.

13. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Supporter

I think having high hit area is the biggest thing you could add to an archer. I'd do some research and nail down the lowest average resist of the first two levels and use those for the hit area as 3-4 can be done without much worry.

14. JFSF

JFSF Journeyman

Your talking a high or low karma archer?

15. JFSF

JFSF Journeyman

I'm mainly looking for something to be able to solo this spawn. I'm running a dragoon now with a fencing samp and we take forever to finish it. After seeing corpse of bear post a video on YouTube on him soloing it bout twice as fast as us 2 can finish. What's the secret??

16. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie

He likely recorded that run before the nerf to the total amount of active monsters that spawn at each stage of the champ spawn.
    There used to be a lot more active monsters at stages 1 and 2 of the spawns than there is now.

17. JFSF

JFSF Journeyman

That might help explain things as far as sheer speed go. Say I went into this spawn with negative karma, would that help me out speed wise? Or would I run into more problems by getting dumped on by those monsters on the ridges that are hard to reach?

18. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie

Negative karma, 100% fire fey slayer bow with hit area are the way to go to get this spawn moving at the first two stages.

Merlin and JFSF like this.
  19. JFSF

JFSF Journeyman

Any advice on a good necro archer template? After searching it seems most of the temps I have found are kinda updated unless I missed some newer ones.

20. Merus

Merus Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

I know a couple Mystic mages with the fey slayer spellbook in high SDI suits can clear it pretty quick.

Both drop RC then one casts hail storm/nether cyclone while the other does cleansing wind, then swap when one gets low on mana. Comes with the added bonus of being able to teleport onto ledges or put RC on them.